Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Sanschel posted:

1. As long as you got the card for the figure then you've got everything he comes with. Characters that generate pogs just have it printed on the back of their card, but you can usually print them out from the Print & Play section in the Downloads on Heroclix.com

2. The few times I've done painting I've gone to Games Workshop. Their paint's probably a little more expensive but they have a huge range of colors that work well with superhero costumes and mix well together. I've just got a tiny little brush since I use it almost exclusively for infrequent wet brush touch-up.

1. That's what I thought, but the HC Realms' Units page describes the pog as being rare, so...

2. That's a great idea. Well, for the ones that are still open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Here's the Dehydrated Henchman token. Just get a 1.5" or 1 7/16" scrapbooking punch.

Edit: Well, that came off a bit large on screen. I forgot it's higher-res than 72 dpi. Just size it to 1.5" when you print it and you'll be fine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 15, 2014

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
If a character has two tokens on them, can they still do free actions such as sidestop, perplex, outwit, etc...?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Seymour Butts posted:

If a character has two tokens on them, can they still do free actions such as sidestop, perplex, outwit, etc...?
Yes! I.E. you can running shot and get the first strike on your opponent. Then you could do something like outwit their psychic blast/pulse wave or perplex their damage down so they can't get a big hit on you. Or you could try to hide with sidestep. It is an important part of strategy.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

The only things that would prevent you from taking a free action are:

A) The character having used a free action to activate the same game effect previously that turn (example: two Outwits from one character = illegal; Outwit and Perplex from the same character = legal)
--or--
B) Some kind of artificial limitation on free actions, such as from a character's trait or power.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

ManiacClown posted:

A) The character having used a free action to activate the same game effect previously that turn (example: two Outwits from one character = illegal; Outwit and Perplex from the same character = legal)
I actually have a question about this rule. I've read this rule before. How does it work with like Batgirl and Nightwing's speedpower:
"COMPLEMENTARY COMBAT SKILLS: When Nightwing and Batgirl use the Duo Attack ability, they can use Flurry as a free action instead of each attack."

Can they use flurry twice because it says "instead of each attack"?

Same question with duo attack I guess: "It makes a close or ranged combat attack as a free action. After the attack resolves, it may make an additional close or ranged combat attack as a free action" They can use it twice specifically because it says "an additional...combat attack" even if that duo was given that specific combat attack before?

The rulebook says "A character may not activate the same game effect twice in one turn with free actions, unless the game effect indicates otherwise." I guess my real question is, are both of these phrases enough of an indication that these free actions can be used twice?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Yes. Each of them explicitly says so, therefore they create exceptions to the rule.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Seymour Butts posted:

Playing in this on Friday at local comic book store.

Whole Lotta Love – 600 point game –Silver Age. You must have one comic book couple on your team.

I have no idea what silver age is. If it means older heroclix then I'm screwed. Oldest stuff I have is from The Amazing Spider-Man set which was last year :3:

Field one of the two Northstar figures from IIM and a Colossus. Tell people they're a couple in the Ultimate universe (true fact :kimchi:), find out who is a terrible person and gets freaked out about :gay: superheroes.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ManiacClown posted:

Here's the Dehydrated Henchman token. Just get a 1.5" or 1 7/16" scrapbooking punch.

Edit: Well, that came off a bit large on screen. I forgot it's higher-res than 72 dpi. Just size it to 1.5" when you print it and you'll be fine.

Hey, that's pretty neat. I haven't done anything scrapbooking, ever - am I gluing this to a punch or something?

Archenteron posted:

Field one of the two Northstar figures from IIM and a Colossus. Tell people they're a couple in the Ultimate universe (true fact :kimchi:), find out who is a terrible person and gets freaked out about :gay: superheroes.

There are a lot of couples in the IIM set, for sure. Titania/Absorbing Man, Iron Man (well, Men, even) and Pepper/Rescue, and I think Sin and Crossbones count.

In 616, two of the Alpha Flight folks are together, but I forget who.

I'd love the IIM set if I didn't keep getting the same poo poo with every booster.

Red fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 16, 2014

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Red posted:

Hey, that's pretty neat. I haven't done anything scrapbooking, ever - am I gluing this to a punch or something?

The punch is to punch out the circle once you've printed it out. I've taken to gluing bystanders to green poker chips because of the color of the ring on bystanders. I put immobile objects on blue chips. Just print it out (I suggest cardstock), punch it out, and use a glue stick to affix it to the chip. I've got a lot of objects and BTs I've already made tokens of. Any requests for images?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ManiacClown posted:

The punch is to punch out the circle once you've printed it out. I've taken to gluing bystanders to green poker chips because of the color of the ring on bystanders. I put immobile objects on blue chips. Just print it out (I suggest cardstock), punch it out, and use a glue stick to affix it to the chip. I've got a lot of objects and BTs I've already made tokens of. Any requests for images?

I think I'll give that a shot, or let the wife do it.

Also:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Sinestro Corps Power Battery and Ring!

I really like that Fear effect, and are you kidding me with that power ring? Flat +1 to everything but damage for all Sinestro Corps members for either 4 points or everyone feeding off the battery? Yikes.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Bought three Invincible Iron Man booster's because I wanted a S.H.I.E.L.D. themed Iron Man and I wanted to pull Rescue to go with my Pepper Potts uncommon. I didn't get either, but I did pull three (3!) Grey Gargoyles. Seriously, one in every pack. Going to the comic book store tonight and I'm looking to trade my extra Bizarro and a Grey Gargoyle or two.

Grey Gargoyle seems like a really cool figure. He has a trait that says all adjacent opposing characters that clear their tokens can only clear one token. Add that to his plasticity and his damage ability that says he deals penetrating damage to adjacent characters with two tokens and he seems like a real dick to be based by.

In this same vein, what are some hard counters to plasticity? Obviously rolling a 6 is an automatic break away, but off the top of my head:
Phasing/Teleport
Force Blast
Leap/Climb (would the +2 to break away roll cancel out the -2 from plasticity)? 4, 5, or 6 works?
Hypersonic Speed (same question as above. +2 to initial breakway roll negates plasticity?)
Quake
Any ability or trait that grants knock-back

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Seymour Butts posted:

Bought three Invincible Iron Man booster's because I wanted a S.H.I.E.L.D. themed Iron Man and I wanted to pull Rescue to go with my Pepper Potts uncommon. I didn't get either, but I did pull three (3!) Grey Gargoyles. Seriously, one in every pack. Going to the comic book store tonight and I'm looking to trade my extra Bizarro and a Grey Gargoyle or two.

Grey Gargoyle seems like a really cool figure. He has a trait that says all adjacent opposing characters that clear their tokens can only clear one token. Add that to his plasticity and his damage ability that says he deals penetrating damage to adjacent characters with two tokens and he seems like a real dick to be based by.

In this same vein, what are some hard counters to plasticity? Obviously rolling a 6 is an automatic break away, but off the top of my head:
Phasing/Teleport
Force Blast
Leap/Climb (would the +2 to break away roll cancel out the -2 from plasticity)? 4, 5, or 6 works?
Hypersonic Speed (same question as above. +2 to initial breakway roll negates plasticity?)
Quake
Any ability or trait that grants knock-back

I'd actually be interested in that extra Bizzaro of yours and maybe a Grey Gargoyle provided you're okay with trading through the mail. You can send me a PM if you'd be interested.

When it comes to hard counters to Plasticity, it's down to just Phasing/Teleport and Improved Movement: Ignores Characters (along with being carried away and outwitting it). Everything else gets stuck thanks to it, or just counteracts the impact of it. After all, there are times where a Plasticity character will have Combat Reflexes, preventing the Knockback from happening at all, making Force Blast useless.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
What about Sidestep? Can you use sidestep to get away from plasticity?

As far as trading through the mail, I'm not opposed to it. I'll pm you later tonight when I get back from the game.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

The Hunter

Seymour Butts posted:

As far as trading through the mail, I'm not opposed to it. I'll pm you later tonight when I get back from the game.

You can, but you still have to roll that 6. If it was an automatic break away, it'd be one of the best powers ever. I don't count additional chances to break away as Hard Counters. Only things that actually outright ignore it at all times.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Seymour Butts posted:

Sidestep is a move. You have to respect everything you would when moving, including terrain, characters, and powers like Plasticity. "Place" effects like the Living Mummy's shamble ignore it, however.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Also keep in mind that Plasticity stops most characters when they are moving, so a Hypersonic character cannot run up and punch a Plasticity character, as they would have to immediately end their movement, and they can only punch DURING their movement.

Plasticity is actually SUPPOSED to trump Improved Movement: Characters, due to the classic "'can't' beats 'can'" rule, but the rules arbiters over on Realms blew that call.

Grey Gargoyle is a glorious piece, with the right kind of support. I played him on team "screw your action tokens," along with Sin & Crossbones, 'held by the horn' Boramir, 'misdirection' Catwoman, and a couple Incappers. Once I figured out how to get it all working together, my opponents hardly ever got the chance to act with their important figures.

Torrent fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 16, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Torrent posted:

Plasticity is actually SUPPOSED to trump Improved Movement: Characters, due to the classic "'can't' beats 'can'" rule, but the rules arbiters over on Realms blew that call.
I don't think they did. Improved Movement: Characters ignores characters altogether. If you weren't completely ignoring the characters, you'd check their powers, and then Plasticity would take effect and stop the movement. But you never get that far, it's only as far as "is that a character? DON'T CARE, they're effectively not there".

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Red posted:

I'd love the IIM set if I didn't keep getting the same poo poo with every booster.

Seymour Butts posted:

I think I've bought four IIM boosters, and I've gotten three Rescue clix. IIM has some great pieces, but the distribution seems really uneven. Aren't the Dreadnoughts common? I haven't gotten one. But I also have a Grey Gargoyle.

Whatever they did between IIM and SLoSH to mix up the booster arrangements, it works, because every SLoSH pull I've read about is great.

Edit: I love that someone new to this game is asking lots of good questions, and even better, lots of people are really helpful with answers.

Red fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 17, 2014

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Torrent posted:

The rule is less "can't beats can" than it is "exception beats norm."

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

ManiacClown posted:

The rule is less "can't beats can" than it is "exception beats norm."

Funny you should say that, as Norm was the one who told me that "can't trumps can" when I asked him about the Plasticity vs. IM: Characters thing at Gen-Con last year. But, he's gone now, so I have less of a leg to stand on. Mostly, it's just sour grapes for me, since I'm a Plasticity fan, and they both made it better and introduced a new mechanic that made it much, much worse in the same PAC update.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

The way Norm stated it is a simple way, but my way is a bit more technically correct because I'm more anal than :goatsecx:. I wouldn't say the PAC update made Plasticity worse in any way. It's just the way they decided IM: Characters works. If anything, it keeps Plasticity from being TOO good, I think.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

Seymour Butts posted:

Playing in this on Friday at local comic book store.

Whole Lotta Love – 600 point game –Silver Age. You must have one comic book couple on your team.

I have no idea what silver age is. If it means older heroclix then I'm screwed. Oldest stuff I have is from The Amazing Spider-Man set which was last year :3:

Well, I think I've decided to play Colossal Boy and Chameleon Girl. I'll also play Superboy at 175 points because he is a beast. That leaves me with 156 points left and I'm not sure exactly what to do. I'm thinking of running a ranged character with the Legion of Superheroes keyword so I can copy the Superman Ally team ability of ignoring hindering terrain. I'm thinking of Lightning Lad because I can running shot next to Superboy, use Superboy's enhancement, and try to link a few shots with Lad's Arc Lightning power. That leaves me with 52 points unused, but it seems like a solid enough team to me.

I also have the Mr. Miracle/Big Barda duo figure...

I could use Colossus, Shadowcat, Wolverine, Jean Grey and Multiple Man = 568 points
X-Men team. Jean Grey will be able to carry three characters and I can finally try to use Multiple Man (Huge Jamie Madrox fan and I do have three of him)!

I also have Absorbing Man and Titania (duo figure), Bulldozer, Piledriver and Shocker = 585 points
It's kind of like a new look Wrecking Crew, but they all share the Masters of Evil keyword. I haven't looked into this team very much, but I know Shocker's Sinister Syndicate team ability would be useless because nobody else on the team shares it.

Last option is check out a couple comic book stores to see if they have that Vision marquee figure in stock. Scarlet Witch/Vision and I'll play an Avengers team.

As you can tell, I have a thing for theme teams. What do you guys think?

Seymour Butts fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 17, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I have a little over $19 in my Amazon gift card balance. What Heroclix thing should I buy?

A Fear Itself booster? A Fast Forces? Something else?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Red posted:

I have a little over $19 in my Amazon gift card balance. What Heroclix thing should I buy?

A Fear Itself booster? A Fast Forces? Something else?

You could wait and put it toward the DoFP scenario pack (or whatever they're calling it) with the new colossal Sentinel.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

ManiacClown posted:

You could wait and put it toward the DoFP scenario pack (or whatever they're calling it) with the new colossal Sentinel.
Right now the War of Light Scenario pack is coming out a week before the DofP (DOFP pushed back to May 21th, WoL scenario pack is scheduled for the 14th). The WoL scenario pack looks important if you want to play the green lantern battery right now, and the bonus from having the same colored ring/lantern should really help during WoL (for green lantern: an opposing character can only take 1 free action a turn).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Fritzler posted:

Right now the War of Light Scenario pack is coming out a week before the DofP (DOFP pushed back to May 21th, WoL scenario pack is scheduled for the 14th).

http://heroclix.com/announcements/important-marvel-heroclix-x-men-days-future-past-release-day-announcement/#axzz2z901SGzr

Wow, a whole week's notice.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Sadly, this isn't surprising in the least. WizKids' Release Dates are essentially Delay Announcement Dates. I'm so used to it now that I always think "The real release date is The Day I See The Product In My Local Store." It just feels like the regular routine. As much as it never should be.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Volfogg posted:

Sadly, this isn't surprising in the least. WizKids' Release Dates are essentially Delay Announcement Dates. I'm so used to it now that I always think "The real release date is The Day I See The Product In My Local Store." It just feels like the regular routine. As much as it never should be.

It's just annoying, because I want to support a small comic shop that's near my parents' house (2 hours from me), so going there to pick up clix I reserved is kind of a pain in the rear end, and moreso with this delay.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Bought four more Invincible Iron Man boosters in attempt to get the S.H.I.E.L.D. themed Iron Man and Rescue. I did pull Rescue, but no dice on Iron Man. Pulled Silver Centurion, King Hyperion, Iron Monger 2.0, and a second Iron Man/Warmachine duo.

With my newly acquired Rescue, I was checking out the dial of Pepper Potts and I have a question. What's the deal with her Defend ability? To my understanding, friendly adjacent characters can use the printed defense value of the character with the defend ability. Why would I want to use Pepper Pott's lovely 14 or 13 defense? Am I reading the ability wrong?

A judge at a place I went to yesterday offered me Absorbing Man LE (the all silver one) and another LE piece for my IM/WM duo. I forgot the name of the second piece, but he said it was a prize from one of the recent events. He's a martial artist, his name is Ku Lu or something. I should have asked to see the cards, but I told him I would think about it and totally forgot until after I left.

I did play one match against him and I won after a couple pretty cool plays. I was playing Thor @100, Iron Man @100 and Captain America @200 against his Hope Summers, Prof. X, and someone else. Cap. was based and I ended up rolling for leadership [6] and blindsided my opponent by using Cap's Avenger's Assemble trait to move Thor who was four spaces away out of l.o.f to bop the poo poo out of Cap's opponent. The judge told me he never saw anyone pull off that trait in a match before :D

I ended up beating him pretty soundly and he told me he was really surprised that I had such a good handle on the game. I told him that I was a member of an internet forum with a bunch of experienced players and I've asked a lot of questions. He asked me if it was hcrealms..."nah" :smug:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The rescue that has defend also has support, so you can use defend to make adjacent friendly figures value lower so she's more likely to hit them with support.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Details are up on on the way to get the other colored lanterns. Well, not white and black. There are three duo packs of lanterns (with 7 constructs each) that are orderable for retailers. The duo packs are red/violet, orange/indigo, and blue/yellow. $25 each. I kind of want red and orange, unless one other lantern has a really really awesome spectrum trait or construct.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Newsarama has Sinestro Corps members up. I'm just looking at Sinestro himself right now, but HOLY drat! He's got traited Perplex that can only reduce an opposing character's combat values. However, when he uses it, ALL combat values are modified by -1 or -2 if the target has two tokens. Oh, and on click 3 (or click 4 if he starts at his 160-point level) he deals penetrating damage to a character who's had a stat modified below its printed value.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
I love that lantern announcement. The poo poo is actually affordable for once.

Also Sinestro is drat good

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Morand posted:

I love that lantern announcement. The poo poo is actually affordable for once.

Also Sinestro is drat good

Sinestro is crazy good, and so is Parralax.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mongul is sickeningly good. A bruiser that solid for 165 points would be good enough, but perplex that drops attack by an additional -1 and that Black Mercy nastiness push him way over the top. You can Black Mercy incap someone and then immediately attack them for real as a free action, and as long as you can keep that up they never clear. Ye gods.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Mongul is sickeningly good. A bruiser that solid for 165 points would be good enough, but perplex that drops attack by an additional -1 and that Black Mercy nastiness push him way over the top. You can Black Mercy incap someone and then immediately attack them for real as a free action, and as long as you can keep that up they never clear. Ye gods.

Smart of them not to put it on the top click, but I'd be pushing onto it right away. Looks like you can't do a free attack after the incap though

"Give Mongul a free action ...[yadda yadda]... if he hasn't already attacked that character this turn." Incap is an attack that deals no damage.

However, continually do one penetrating damage forever and ever is amazing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

Smart of them not to put it on the top click, but I'd be pushing onto it right away. Looks like you can't do a free attack after the incap though
Oh, good catch. Still awesome though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

drat those dudes are good. Karu-Sil looks awesome.

Blob is also up today: http://heroclix.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/015-blob.jpg He's kind of disappointing, I don't know that I'd ever use him over the GSX one given the opportunity.

• Locked thread