Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The -2 is what's really bugging me. There's no room for threaten, or even threaten w/o haste. Whatever it is, you're gaining control of it forever.

It has to be "Gain control of target [type]". There's not even enough room for "Noncreature permanent" I think it's either artifact or permanent. Artifact would be more flavorful, so that's my guess.

Nonland permanent fits, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Not to derail from DACK FAYDEN, GREATEST THIEF IN THE MULTIVERSE chat, but I had to step away from MTG Salvation card evaluation threads. They are so, so bad, it makes my teeth hurt. They evaluate every creature as though your opponent has two open mana and a Doom Blade in hand at all times, and every 3-drop as though your opponent has T3 Domri T4 Polukranos in every game.

MTG Salvation is a bad forum.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Not to derail from DACK FAYDEN, GREATEST THIEF IN THE MULTIVERSE chat, but I had to step away from MTG Salvation card evaluation threads. They are so, so bad, it makes my teeth hurt. They evaluate every creature as though your opponent has two open mana and a Doom Blade in hand at all times, and every 3-drop as though your opponent has T3 Domri T4 Polukranos in every game.

Honestly that's not all that different than this thread. :v:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Just looking at text spacing again, I'm pretty sure -6 has to be "Whenever you cast a spell that targets" and not "Whenever a player casts a spell that targets". There appears to be slightly not enough room on a line for the latter.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Yeah, this thread is a big downer during spoiler season. I'm big into design and love to appreciate all the angles and formats of Magic, whereas most people here are immediately dismissive of anything that's not a Standard/Modern $20 monster.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
So is the full card art like actively being decrypted by the internet as we speak? I assumed the first faux-ripped card image was all we were getting but then we get a little slice extra shortly after.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I feel this way about card evaluations I read on most forums, including this one :shrug:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

MiddleEastBeast posted:

So is the full card art like actively being decrypted by reddit as we speak? I assumed the first faux-ripped card image was all we were getting but then we get a little slice extra shortly after.

I'm pretty sure the current image comes from the previous image with the alpha channel removed.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Frankly most players(Myself included!) are pretty bad at evaluating all but the most obviously good or obviously bad cards when it comes to actual tournament playability. And even good players can totally miss the boat on a card.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Kasonic posted:

Yeah, this thread is a big downer during spoiler season. I'm big into design and love to appreciate all the angles and formats of Magic, whereas most people here are immediately dismissive of anything that's not a Standard/Modern $20 monster.

It's fun to be jaded! And statistically it's a lot safer, too.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

MiddleEastBeast posted:

feel this way about card evaluations I read on most forums, including this one :shrug:

It is good to be reminded occasionally that it is not just goons that suck at card evaluation :).

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

It's fun to be jaded! And statistically it's a lot safer, too.

*Keeps putting together his Pharika deck in spite of this topic*

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Dack Fayden, the Mind Sculpter

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I think for card evaluation you gotta figure out what the format is doing. For Modern there are several decks that win on or occasionally before turn 4. You need a gameplan for winning or stopping someone from winning on turn 4. For Legacy your first 3 turns are the most important in the match and a shitload will be going down in them. For Standard* you need an anti-aggro plan, you need to deal with Thassa/powerful enchantments, you need beefy guys to win through verdicts, and you need some card draw.

* Can say 'gently caress it' then run a super aggressive aggro deck that lives or dies in the first five turns. Once burn became a tier 1 deck it seems like you want some incidental life gain too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Korak posted:

That was fast. Izzet! Emblems! Gain control!

How did the get to the second part of the image? I'm finding the marketing cooler than the cards.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

This is a bad omen, they spoiled Jace TMS the exact same way!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lord Of Texas posted:

This is a bad omen, they spoiled Jace TMS the exact same way!

Well, didn't they say they were going to be taking advantage of the fact that he was "Legacy-only" to push him a bit? Could easily be on Jace's power level, or at least designed to be, and either way there's no chance of him making GBS threads up Standard or Modern!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Literally The Worst posted:

How did the get to the second part of the image? I'm finding the marketing cooler than the cards.

Purplehaze2112 44 points 1 hour ago (43|0)
I opened my 1.png with picture viewer and got more of the card, will upload in a second.
Edit: in paint and such i saw what you saw, but i opened it in picture viewer and got [the half picture].
http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2381zh/this_was_flashed_at_the_end_of_the_conspiracy/cguiegz

I tried it, it works. Removing the alpha layer of the "cracked" version does nothing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I mostly get annoyed with the phrase "dies to Doom Blade" simply because its an excuse to not explain an often-relevant argument in favor of a slogan.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Edit: You know what I'll just leave it to Zorak

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Angry Grimace posted:

I mostly get annoyed with the phrase "dies to Doom Blade" simply because its an excuse to not explain an often-relevant argument in favor of a slogan.

I'm tired of the unnecessary qualifier "sure it can be Thoughtseized, but-", like yes we know it is a Magic card, thanks for clarifying that.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

So, Oblivion Ring and Mesmeric Fiend updated to the new template, and a flash grave pact? All of these are good cards(and I imagine we'll get like a dozen people exclaiming that new Grave Pact is perfect in their EDH deck), but none of them are that exciting.

Edit: Thanks for posting more cards and making this post look stupid, Zorak :mad:

I feel like they whiffed a bit on Arachne's flavor, but I do like the nyx weaver, although I don't think it's very good.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 17, 2014

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
New O-ring, I was wondering when that was going to turn up.

The spider could be a potential dredge option? It attacks and blocks in addition to filling the yard, and being able to fetch back things like removal that get binned seems good

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

:airquote:Fixed:airquote: Oblivion Ring and Mesmeric Fiend, interesting.

Potential nice gift for dredge, though I don't know if they'll prefer two cards a turn for three mana to 4-5 cards for two mana right now.

edit: Potentially very relevant that the spider can block Specters erryday.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm digging Nyx Weaver, it supports the poo poo out of the Dredge deck.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Is that a reference to Uzumaki I detect?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Welcome to flavortown

E: love nyx Weaver

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
How many cards are left to spoil? There have been disappointingly few cards to use in a keranos deck, I was hoping izzet would get more fun spells. New mesmeric fiend is cool though.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Decent bone thrown to BG. Digging the black Dictate. I think this makes 3 modern legal oblivion ring type cards? That Mono White Enchantments deck will probably appreciate the extra card when needed. Brain Maggot art is insane. Weaver is kind of neat since you can put her in the graveyard and have a 1/3 to bestow something onto. Too slow for standard probably even if its a nice idea.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Banishing Light makes me really happy. Amazing art, cleaner effect than O-Ring, and a perfect name without any set-specific hooks.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Have people at Wizards explicitly said that they're moving to this new templating for all temporary exile effects going forward? I can see how it's more new-player-friendly but I miss the wonky stuff the old template used to allow for.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gyshall posted:

Welcome to flavortown

E: love nyx Weaver

I think the Renowned Weaver is Arachne.

That's awesome :swoon:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Whoa the LoadingReadyRun card looks pretty crazy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

How many cards are left to spoil? There have been disappointingly few cards to use in a keranos deck, I was hoping izzet would get more fun spells. New mesmeric fiend is cool though.

About half, but we've seen all of the Mythics.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Kasonic posted:

Banishing Light makes me really happy. Amazing art, cleaner effect than O-Ring, and a perfect name without any set-specific hooks.

If I'm :spergin: about it (and I am) I have to say that Oblivion Ring struck me as a much nicer name for the effect. A banishing light sounds like a one-time spell like an instant or sorcery, whereas an oblivion ring sounds like something you'd erect to keep something banished.

That said, you're right that it is a fine name for a core set plant. Brain Maggot would be too, except they made it an enchantment creature which probably disqualifies it from a reprinting in name in most contexts.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DEICIDE.

OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS SET.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Magneto looks pissed.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Elyv posted:

(and I imagine we'll get like a dozen people exclaiming that new Grave Pact is perfect in their EDH deck)

It's me. I'm the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Have people at Wizards explicitly said that they're moving to this new templating for all temporary exile effects going forward? I can see how it's more new-player-friendly but I miss the wonky stuff the old template used to allow for.
I believe Tabak said they're moving to this template when Banishing Priest got spoiled and we all went nuts over that card. I like it from a rules perspective. It was definitely a feel bad moment when you completely lost something to some sneaky layering/rules lawyering.

• Locked thread