Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

dhamster posted:

I've been toying around with the idea of buying an iPad since the release of Hearthstone on iPad. Would the 16GB Mini with Retina be good enough to play that and do general web/video browsing? Is there any essential stuff I should add on to my order? Does it matter that I don't own a Mac computer? I haven't really looked much into iPads in the past so I'm getting a little bit of analysis paralysis looking at apple's store page.

16 vs 32 is a hard choice. I've had a 16gb iPad1 and iPad4. For my next iPad I'm going to 32. It's not that my day-to-day iPad use is constrained by 16gb it's when I travel. If I want to put a few movies onto my iPad I have to start cleaning house, and even then I'm only going to get 1 HD movie (~4-5gb I think). If you are always at home and can stream (Plex, Amazon, Netflix) storage space isn't much of a concern. Other media that takes up a lot of space are e-books if you are doing PDF or iBooks that contain movies (one I bought is like 900mb), games where some can get to 1gb, lots of music, or magazines (~400mb a piece).

I think most Goons say 32 because you are locked into the choice. If later you want to take some movies for a long trip you are probably screwed. You can get a WiFi drive (USB stick with a wireless router) or the camera connection kit and read from a SD card. However, both of these are hacky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Any iPad can handle internet/youtube stuff. Any new iPad (the air or retina mini with retina) can handle whatever is on the market now. Those are the two newest iPads so they are setting the state of the market. If you read back a few pages, people are talking about hearthstone and I believe even the old mini was running it without an issue.

As for a Mac, I don't have one and I've had no issues with my iPad or iPhone that would have been solved by having a Mac instead of a PC. Syncing works fine (yea iTunes sucks on PC, but whatever) and they don't really deny any features for PC owners since the iPad is supposed to be a stand alone solution to a computer in general.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I got an LTE iPad Mini w/ Retina Display since T-Mobile was selling them at Wifi prices. I'll probably use LTE sparingly. Is it a good idea to just disable cellular data when I don't need it to save battery?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

I got an LTE iPad Mini w/ Retina Display since T-Mobile was selling them at Wifi prices. I'll probably use LTE sparingly. Is it a good idea to just disable cellular data when I don't need it to save battery?

That's a good deal. How does one get on that train?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Lexicon posted:

That's a good deal. How does one get on that train?

It's a part of their Operation Tablet Freedom campaign.

http://www.t-mobile.com/landing/free-mobile-internet-data.html?cmpid=WMM_PR_TBLTFRDM_WAUKG8RK2FJ451

bobdigi
Oct 6, 2004
yea you know who is he
Honestly you shouldn't have to turn anything off. You'll be fine leaving the cellular radio on.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
So hey, I need an iPad for professional purposes. Mostly writing, web management, twitter and RSS stuff. That makes the mini a bit annoying I think, so I'm leaning towards either the normal iPad retina or the air, but is it correct that the mini is actually stronger than the normal iPad? All these comparison articles confuse the hell out of me. Also air seems to come with some cool software I might find useful perhaps? I can't seem to get any clear information about that anywhere for some reason.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

NeilPerry posted:

So hey, I need an iPad for professional purposes. Mostly writing, web management, twitter and RSS stuff. That makes the mini a bit annoying I think, so I'm leaning towards either the normal iPad retina or the air, but is it correct that the mini is actually stronger than the normal iPad? All these comparison articles confuse the hell out of me. Also air seems to come with some cool software I might find useful perhaps? I can't seem to get any clear information about that anywhere for some reason.

The Air is the "normal iPad," it's just the name for the newest in the series. There's only two variants of the iPad, the 10" and the mini (7.9" I think). So if you're looking into getting a full-size iPad, the Air is the newest and best one.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

NeilPerry posted:

The specs are nearly identical, but the Air has a 20% bigger display, costs $100 more and has a clock speed that is about 7% faster than the retina. Their performance is pretty much identical, the big distinction is really the size: the mini is more portable and the air has a bigger screen. Maybe you could go to an Apple store and compare them in person?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I would assume that the mini being "stronger" just comes from a function of length. It's harder to torque. I have an air though and it's taken a few spills off the couch/bed/nightstand and all it's got are a few dents.

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

I am looking at getting an iPad since I am pretty settled into the functions of my Touch. The two things I am most concerned about which I haven't been able to test in-store are: can the iPad do tabbed browsing such as you would see on a normal computer; and can I run Skype in side-by-side mode or on a taskbar? With my Touch, I have the Skype app which takes up the whole screen and I can't do anything else when I have Skype up for text chatting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mistressminako posted:

I am looking at getting an iPad since I am pretty settled into the functions of my Touch. The two things I am most concerned about which I haven't been able to test in-store are: can the iPad do tabbed browsing such as you would see on a normal computer; and can I run Skype in side-by-side mode or on a taskbar? With my Touch, I have the Skype app which takes up the whole screen and I can't do anything else when I have Skype up for text chatting.

Safari does tabbed browsing, yes, though its memory is somewhat limited so it can reload background tabs, which may or may not be desirable depending on what you're doing. All apps are full screen, so you won't be able to that with Skype or any app.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why would that ever be desirable?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Why would that ever be desirable?

I dunno, maybe you have a forum thread tab open in the background and you'd rather have the updated version?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

dhamster posted:

The specs are nearly identical, but the Air has a 20% bigger display, costs $100 more and has a clock speed that is about 7% faster than the retina. Their performance is pretty much identical, the big distinction is really the size: the mini is more portable and the air has a bigger screen. Maybe you could go to an Apple store and compare them in person?

The cool thing is that with the weak yen I can get an iPad air at about 380 euro. An iPad 4 Retina would be about 320 euro. I mean, that's only 60 euro difference. Would the Air be worth that small difference?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

NeilPerry posted:

The cool thing is that with the weak yen I can get an iPad air at about 380 euro. An iPad 4 Retina would be about 320 euro. I mean, that's only 60 euro difference. Would the Air be worth that small difference?

Absolutely. The Air is better in every way.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Yes. Even just for iOS version support of an extra year. I'm sure others will be able to give you the comparison of specific specs. In the long run that's probably a year+ longer that your device works with the latest software and OS, especially since you have missed almost 1.5 years of the retina 4 life cycle.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Yes. Even just for iOS version support of an extra year. I'm sure others will be able to give you the comparison of specific specs. In the long run that's probably a year+ longer that your device works with the latest software and OS, especially since you have missed almost 1.5 years of the retina 4 life cycle.

Okay that's pretty convincing. Another thing though, I'll be buying it in Japan. Is there any region locking I should know about? Can I access European and American app stores?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

NeilPerry posted:

I'm pretty happy with the Mini, but I've only had it for a couple days. Forgot to add though that the Air has better color accuracy (though most people won't be able to tell the difference unless they look at them side by side)

e: Oh, I misread your post. The Air is the newer and better model.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

NeilPerry posted:

Okay that's pretty convincing. Another thing though, I'll be buying it in Japan. Is there any region locking I should know about? Can I access European and American app stores?

App stores won't let you use an out of region credit card, but there's no problem with making other region accounts and using itunes cards.

E: most apps are available in all regions anyway, and the store converts monetary amounts reasonably for each region.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NeilPerry posted:

It's possible to access other app stores, but you can only access one at a time. I'd be surprised if there's many missing apps on any given store.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

It's possible to access other app stores, but you can only access one at a time. I'd be surprised if there's many missing apps on any given store.

Well, I'd need access to very obscure small apps. The thing is I've been doing some translations for Japanese indie apps, which is why I want an iPad in the first place. What do you mean by 'one at a time' though? I can just log out and log into another and just download whatever I need, log back into my Jap account and still use the downloaded apps, right?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I dunno about region issues, but I know you can hop between AppleIDs without it hampering yours vilify to use things.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Randomly my ipad and iPhone don't want to respond to some swipe gestures; like I'll opens thread in Awful and it won't let me scroll down/up, or pull to refresh or anything. This is usually solved by re-opening the same thread or closing/re opening the app, but does anyone what the cause of this is or if there's some obscure setting I have to disable/enable?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

NeilPerry posted:

What do you mean by 'one at a time' though? I can just log out and log into another and just download whatever I need, log back into my Jap account and still use the downloaded apps, right?

Yeah, you can only be logged into one Apple ID at a time for the store, but you can switch them easily. When an app is on your device it's usable no matter what the store ID is.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

parasyte posted:

Yeah, you can only be logged into one Apple ID at a time for the store, but you can switch them easily. When an app is on your device it's usable no matter what the store ID is.

Sweet, well that settles it then. Just waiting for my money to come in now. Pretty excited for my first tablet. I feel like a kid again.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!
I'm looking to use an old iPad 1 as a recipe book. I'd like to wall mount it in the kitchen, but it needs to be waterproof as it will be directly over th sink. The location is also close to a power outlet, so it'd be doubly awesome if I could find a way to wall mount it and keep it plugged in, all while keeping the whole thing protected from splashes.

I've looked around a bit but haven't found anything that really fits the bill. It's easy enough to find wall mounts, but I can't find many water resistant cases that are not the disposable kind, and I don't want to have to deal with constantly rebadging the device. I'm also noticing that iPad 1 cases are rarer since they have different dimensions, which is making it more difficult to find workable solutions.

Anyone try something like this by chance, or know of anything that could work well?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Fitret posted:

I'm looking to use an old iPad 1 as a recipe book. I'd like to wall mount it in the kitchen, but it needs to be waterproof as it will be directly over th sink. The location is also close to a power outlet, so it'd be doubly awesome if I could find a way to wall mount it and keep it plugged in, all while keeping the whole thing protected from splashes.

I've looked around a bit but haven't found anything that really fits the bill. It's easy enough to find wall mounts, but I can't find many water resistant cases that are not the disposable kind, and I don't want to have to deal with constantly rebadging the device. I'm also noticing that iPad 1 cases are rarer since they have different dimensions, which is making it more difficult to find workable solutions.

Anyone try something like this by chance, or know of anything that could work well?

There's a water resistant spray thing you can do to your devices.

http://www.liquipel.com/

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

Randomly my ipad and iPhone don't want to respond to some swipe gestures; like I'll opens thread in Awful and it won't let me scroll down/up, or pull to refresh or anything. This is usually solved by re-opening the same thread or closing/re opening the app, but does anyone what the cause of this is or if there's some obscure setting I have to disable/enable?

Does this happen with other apps too? Because it sounds like a known issue in Awful, but if it happens elsewhere it's probably something else.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!

NeilPerry posted:

There's a water resistant spray thing you can do to your devices.

http://www.liquipel.com/

Interesting, thought it says it isn't compatible with an iPad 1 (don't understand how that is possible). More importantly, it isn't warranted and says that you should never have your device contact liquid, even with this stuff on.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
Ok so I've wanted an iPad for a while. And the mini is my desirable choice but I've quelled my desires as I don't really need one. Now that Hearthstone just came out on it...I am tempted again. In your goony opinions is the retina really worth it?

To be honest, I think $300 for the mini is an adequate price but $400 is a bit high. I'd hate to buy the (old) mini and then kick myself for not dumping the extra $100 but I just don't feel more than $300 is worth paying for any tablet.

I know the original mini has the A5 and the retina has the A7. I don't want to get stuck in the ol' apple limbo where they start phasing out features that are supported on last generation hardware like they do with the phones. I've always kept up with every other generation with the iPhone (every time the S version comes out since I upgrade very two years) and have always been glad for it because they phase out features on the older hardware as new iOS's come out. Again I just don't feel like $400 is a reasonable price to pay for a tablet when I could get a cheap ultra book at that price.

I've got an ancient laptop that is on its last legs and my wife just uses it for internet browsing and I play hearthstone on it when I'm feeling too lazy to go the the PC. The iPad with a keyboard seems like a very adequate replacement. Again, I just don't feel like $400 is a reasonable price to pay for a tablet when I could get a cheap ultra book or other competitor tablet at that price or less. I just love the app store so much......and hearthstone.

E: To add further complications to my decision I was just pricing some stuff out and realized the loving iPad retina (not air) is the same loving price as the retina mini and the Air is only $50 more on sale at most places. I guess I'm late to the party but that's almost infuriating enough to make me not want either.

Shachi fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 18, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Shachi posted:

To be honest, I think $300 for the mini is an adequate price but $400 is a bit high. I'd hate to buy the (old) mini and then kick myself for not dumping the extra $100 but I just don't feel more than $300 is worth paying for any tablet.

Would you pay $100 more for an iPad Air than an iPad 2? Would you pay $100 more for an iPhone 5s than an iPhone 4s? You will kick yourself for not dumping the extra $100.

Shachi posted:

E: To add further complications to my decision I was just pricing some stuff out and realized the loving iPad retina (not air) is the same loving price as the retina mini and the Air is only $50 more. I guess I'm late to the party but that's almost infuriating enough to make me not want either.

Why is that infuriating?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shachi posted:

Ok so I've wanted an iPad for a while. And the mini is my desirable choice but I've quelled my desires as I don't really need one. Now that Hearthstone just came out on it...I am tempted again. In your goony opinions is the retina really worth it?

I know the original mini has the A5 and the retina has the A7. I don't want to get stuck in the ol' apple limbo where they start phasing out features that are supported on last generation hardware like they do with the phones. I've always kept up with every other generation with the iPhone (every time the S version comes out since I upgrade very two years) and have always been glad for it because they phase out features on the older hardware as new iOS's come out. Again I just don't feel like $400 is a reasonable price to pay for a tablet when I could get a cheap ultra book at that price.

I've got an ancient laptop that is on its last legs and my wife just uses it for internet browsing and I play hearthstone on it when I'm feeling too lazy to go the the PC. The iPad with a keyboard seems like a very adequate replacement. Again, I just don't feel like $400 is a reasonable price to pay for a tablet when I could get a cheap ultra book or other competitor tablet at that price or less. I just love the app store so much......and hearthstone.

E: To add further complications to my decision I was just pricing some stuff out and realized the loving iPad retina (not air) is the same loving price as the retina mini and the Air is only $50 more on sale at most places. I guess I'm late to the party but that's almost infuriating enough to make me not want either.

Maybe you should buy a $400 ultrabook and play Hearthstone on that?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Don't buy a non-retina mini. Don't buy any non-retina iPad. It's that simple.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Would you pay $100 more for an iPad Air than an iPad 2? Would you pay $100 more for an iPhone 5s than an iPhone 4s? You will kick yourself for not dumping the extra $100

Yeah I'm just being a brat. I was sold at the $300 price point but the new one is a lot better, you're right. To tell the truth I didn't even know there was a newer one at a higher price point till I started looking at them today.

I didn't care much about the display difference but the faster processor and double RAM makes a big difference. I guess $400 or bust.

Target is doing a $50 gift card at purchase so I think that's what I'll do.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shachi posted:

I didn't care much about the display difference but the faster processor and double RAM makes a big difference. I guess $400 or bust.

If you compare the old display and the new retina display you will certainly care.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

Yeah I just went ahead and picked up the Mini Retina. Thanks to you guys I didn't buy a $300 pile of regret.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

The iPad Thread - A $300 Pile of Regret

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Shachi posted:

Yeah I just went ahead and picked up the Mini Retina. Thanks to you guys I didn't buy a $300 pile of regret.

I just got one of those a couple days ago. It's my first iPad, and I'm pretty pleased with it so far. I think you'll enjoy it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

Shachi posted:

$300 mini

The retina minis are on Apple's refurbished store for $329. Refurbished iPads are essentially identical to brand new ones. You should definitely get a retina mini instead of getting a non retina iPad Mini.

Edit: missed that you already got one. Good choice. I just picked one up yesterday. Loving it so far.

jototo fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 20, 2014