Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick

ChaoticGood posted:

You may want to change him to something other than Acquisitor, but I hired him a couple of times.

Yeah I've been meaning to do that, it's kind of a pain in the rear end. I never had enough RC before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

=>HELP

:downs: "I CANNOT AID YOU RIGHT NOW!"

:downs: "What's this?"

*Dummy gathered a rock.*

Looting during combat, which I think causes the pawn's acquisitor inclination, is a necessary evil. If you knock the horn of of a dragon, it will probably be gone by the time the dragon is dead. When you get to the post-game Everfall fights, there will be multiple big monsters. Unless you kill them all at the same exact time, the material the first kill drops will definitely vanish by the time the last monster is dead. I think as long as you don't gather or open chests every time you're in combat, your pawn won't turn into a looter.

I'll see if I can drag Voss through one of the Rotunda of Dread fights without killing him. That should get you a nice chunk of RC.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I also just got this game (it's on sale in EU PSN)! It's pretty good! I'm currently in a state of getting owned by ogres in the quarry though. I don't think I'm underpowered, I just can't find an "answer" for these guys. They hit extremely hard, have millions of HP, and have no obvious weakspot. Oh, and there's two that can and will aggro at the same time. Maybe I should change up my party...? Currently I'm rolling with me as a fighter, a mage, a ranger and a strider.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
They're pretty susceptible to magic. You can light them on fire, you can ice them to slow them down, and you can stay away from their wild swings. Their heads (and maybe butts?) are relatively weak, but it can be risky to climb on them because they'll suplex you.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Amppelix posted:

Maybe I should change up my party...? Currently I'm rolling with me as a fighter, a mage, a ranger and a strider.
You have no casters. I always go with one ranged class, one melee class, one healer mage, and one sorcerer (or a ranger if you are using a hybrid class).

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 13, 2014

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Several explosive barrels in the quarry are good for a sneak attack against them.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Today, Voss learned about Cyclopes, Golems, goblins, Skeleton Lords, Phantasms, and Skeleton Sorcerers. I tried to get the dragon at Devilfire Grove, but it hasn't respawned since the last time I killed it.

He also got a bit of a makeover with a new staff and some armor. I forget how it works, but the game might ask if you want to use his new equipment. If not, it'll be in your storage. It shouldn't be too hard to find: Cast Stone staff (***), Leather Cap (***), Feral Cape (***), and a Platinum Ring.

As far as Voss' skills, you might want to drop one of the fire spells for something ice-based. There are things out there that have high fire resistance. It's always good to have a mix of spells. Definitely keep Halidom and Anodyne for healing. Try to spend some DP on core skills and augments, since they help enhance your pawn's stats and abilities. Equipping Asura armor (I'm pretty sure it's included with Dark Arisen) will double your character and your main pawn's DP gain.

I also threw in a wakestone.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

Mad Dragon posted:

Today, Voss learned about Cyclopes, Golems, goblins, Skeleton Lords, Phantasms, and Skeleton Sorcerers. I tried to get the dragon at Devilfire Grove, but it hasn't respawned since the last time I killed it.

He also got a bit of a makeover with a new staff and some armor. I forget how it works, but the game might ask if you want to use his new equipment. If not, it'll be in your storage. It shouldn't be too hard to find: Cast Stone staff (***), Leather Cap (***), Feral Cape (***), and a Platinum Ring.

As far as Voss' skills, you might want to drop one of the fire spells for something ice-based. There are things out there that have high fire resistance. It's always good to have a mix of spells. Definitely keep Halidom and Anodyne for healing. Try to spend some DP on core skills and augments, since they help enhance your pawn's stats and abilities. Equipping Asura armor (I'm pretty sure it's included with Dark Arisen) will double your character and your main pawn's DP gain.

I also threw in a wakestone.

You're a saint, thanks for all the gear and advice. I definitely need to rework him a bit, I've only just escaped poverty so most of my money went to me. I'm waiting around for whichever augment comes at Level 9 and then I'm gonna switch him to Sorceror.

I'm a notorious mid-combat looter so my Arisen is a truly lovely example, and thus his useless inclinations. Gonna head to the Encampment now.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Night is awful in video games and especially awful in a game that g8ves you the finger at night time. Since most assassin augments require darkness or chucking my pawn off a cliff, what are some decent ones from other vocations?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So killing Grigori gets you full dragonforged on both you and your pawns stuff right? Am i right in assuming there is no other way to do this other than putting on his gear myself and slaughter countless dragons?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I'm pretty sure only the Arisen's equipment can be dragonforged. Killing Grigori will dragonforge everything the Arisen has equipped when the death blow is struck.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mad Dragon posted:

I'm pretty sure only the Arisen's equipment can be dragonforged. Killing Grigori will dragonforge everything the Arisen has equipped when the death blow is struck.

Yeah only the Arisen's stuff is dragonforged. I did a second run giving my arisen a sex change to get my pawn's stuff dragonforged.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Blast of Confetti posted:

Night is awful in video games and especially awful in a game that g8ves you the finger at night time. Since most assassin augments require darkness or chucking my pawn off a cliff, what are some decent ones from other vocations?
I think it's Sinew, from Fighter, which is a really great augment for general gameplay. It gives you an additional 30 units or something of weight for carrying stuff. If you do any spellcasting, Mage and Sorcerer have a lot of good augments, including cast time reductions and magic damage buffs. Strider's got a nice augment, though it comes at vocation rank 9, called Leg Strength. It treats your weight class as the one below for run speed, and if you're at Very Light, it goes down another level, if I recall correctly.

Ranger has an augment that reduces fall damage. I like dropping down as shortcuts, maybe you do, too, so that can be nice.

Bitter Black Isle also has some unique Augment scrolls that might benefit your playstyle. The main one I liked was the augment that buffed your stamina while climbing monsters.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

Well, I thought I was a badass at level 23 and went off to Soulflayer Canyon. Got eaten alive by phantasms, ate nearly every consumable in my inventory and fought a desperate, day-long battle to make it to the Greatwall, but I did find a poo poo-ton of new gear and then pummeled my way back to Gran Soren. Countless Chimeras died by my hand.

Man, this game is so loving good at immersing you in stuff like that, it's been ages since I've played a game that gives you such intense fights for survival and really feels like you could be murdered at any point, especially when you feel like you're in an area you shouldn't be. The sense of relief once I finally got back to the capital was unreal. I am never leaving without a Ferrystone ever again

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Cometa Rossa posted:

I know I'm about two years late to the party because I just picked this up, but my Dragon's Dogma Moment so far is the time I killed a harpy by throwing another harpy at it

Having a blast with this game, if anyone still plays and wants to hire a level 17-and-growing hulking Gandalf-looking Mage motherfucker, my GT is Gulag Boy and my guy's name is Voss.

I'll take your fella out for a spin at some point, I'm in the mid 70s doing BBI content so my pawn will probably trivialize things too much for you so don't worry about returning the favour for a while.

One thing I'd keep in mind is that while sorcs get stronger spells, the AI isn't great at using them and a sorc is always gonna be more a glasscannon type than a support caster type that heals, buffs / cures debuffs

Personally I'm loving BBI, I thought it was fun as an assassin, but I recently made the switch to Mystic Knight and it sure is fun standing toe-to-toe with Enforcers? Those minotaur looking guys with the hammer in dragonforged meloirean.

Imahlia recently made the change back to Strider again from Ranger, so if anyone has any input on that and whether I should keep her Strider or Ranger, or what's most effective for them, or just needs a mid 70s yellow pawn to use, we're at 75 about now.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Here's a stupid question: Can I get my pawn to actually use all these cool arrows I'm giving her? I even got her the augment to boost status effects but I can't actually get her to inflict any!

Also (since this worked out so well for that other guy :bandwagon:) if anyone would like to take her for an adventure I would be delighted, I'm Ampelix on PSN and she's Iris, a ranger in her thirties currently.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Is there any way to buy or easily make Blast Arrows? Daemon still beats my rear end

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

According to the wiki page, pawns only use special arrows during certain fights on BBI.

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Special_Arrows

Beech Branch + Flammica = Blast Arrow
Beech Branch + Necrophagous Loin = Blast Arrow
Beech Branch + Throwblast = Blast Arrow
Beech Branch + Ember Crystal = Blast Arrow

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Is there any way to buy or easily make Blast Arrows? Daemon still beats my rear end

The potion lady in Gran Soren sells them.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

Do the Weapon/Armor loot piles respawn? Can I farm Leaper's Ledge with impunity?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Cometa Rossa posted:

Do the Weapon/Armor loot piles respawn? Can I farm Leaper's Ledge with impunity?

Everything, with the exception of a few bosses that are linked to once-off quests, is farmable I think. There may be some weird exception, though.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want some Rift crystals but I don't have internet at my new place yet. How do you farm them on Xbox with a second gamertag? I just make one, fire up the game, rent the pawn, then go read a book or something right? Or do I have to be killing enemies and doing things?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
You have to actually kill things. RC earned is tied to the exp you earn with the pawn(s).

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Bit late for Acquisitor chat, but personally, I like every pawn to have it. It saves me from having to grab everything myself or throw the crap loot I can't help grabbing onto my pack pawns. Bonus if they start grabbing stuff in combat so I can focus on spending 3 years charging up my big rear end sword to deatomize whatever we happen to be fighting.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I like to have at least one or two pawns with Acquisitor. It's fun emptying out their loot at an Inn to see what all they managed to gather up. I'm rich, rich with glacial pinions!

I need to get back to this and finally start BBI.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

My guy's now Utilitarian/Challenger. I'm happy that he actually does his job now instead of opening chests while I solo ogres, but part of me hates the post-fight looting and dumping of all the heavy materials onto him.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Oh hey, my pawn has returned from helping another arisen. With over 90,000RC :tviv:

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I pulled in like 50,000 my first day and then never got hired again. Nobody needs a Sorceror when there are hordes of lolicon waifus to do his job.

Speaking of pawns, if anybody has one in the 30-40-50-whatever range on Xbox, I'd love to take them out adventuring. I am so sick of every single pawn in the rift, regardless of class, being stuck with Guardian. Guardian. Guardian/Acquisitor. Guardian. Guardian/Nexus. Guardian. Guardian Gua:suicide:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cometa Rossa posted:

Speaking of pawns, if anybody has one in the 30-40-50-whatever range on Xbox, I'd love to take them out adventuring. I am so sick of every single pawn in the rift, regardless of class, being stuck with Guardian. Guardian. Guardian/Acquisitor. Guardian. Guardian/Nexus. Guardian. Guardian Gua:suicide:
My main pawn Masamune is in that level range (I think, it's been a while since I played). My GT is FistfulOfDice. I'm afraid he might be Guardian, though, since he's a Warrior and I go Scout/Magic Archer. :ohdear: I have to check since I haven't played in months since I tend to leave the game for long periods.

fake edit: Yeah, he's Challenger/Guardian now because I apparently just changed his inclination at the chair. :v: How do I change his inclinations again?

He is level 33 though, and has a pretty sweet mustache.

real edit: I left without saving, so he might be back to whatever he was before, but I can't go in to check because for some reason my disc keeps coming up as unreadable even though it's pristine. :suicide:

edit 2: Yup, Challenger/Scather. I'm pretty sure I made him to be Challenger/Utilitarian though going back through my post history.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 16, 2014

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010
Use the potions to change the inclinations, they work better and you have more choices. If I remember correctly, the chair just lets you swap the position of the 2nd and 3rd (which isn't shown otherwise) inclination. Some people have speculated there are even more than 3. It's possible the pawns actually always have all of the inclinations, even though you can only see the ones which have the highest score (the meters you see during character generation seem to imply this is the case)... This is also why it isn't always a good idea to use a neutralizing elixir, since it resets everything.

And yeah they often change to Scather from just fighting the enemies, especially in the beginning, so if you want something else you have to check it occasionally and keep giving them elixirs.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I found a cheap copy of Dark Arisen today - I've only ever played the first part of the regular game. Am I right in thinking that I can just level my character and pawn however I like and I won't be loving myself over for the DA content? I've looked up stuff on the game and all the tips I find are either "do whatever" or very specific min-max builds.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
It's pretty hard to gimp yourself unless you actually try. It's probably best to explore most of the vocations if you don't have a specific build in mind because you'll unlock a lot of passive and active skills that can benefit the other vocations, too.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If you stay Magick Archer for all of levels 10 to 100 your stats would be pretty gimpy. But that won't matter because you're a Magick Archer and can destroy everything within a hundred feet of you anyway.

I'm sure there is some way to make your character unplayable but I'm not sure what that would be outside of "be a Fighter while attacking an elder ogre in a five foot wide hallway".

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Thundarr posted:

I'm sure there is some way to make your character unplayable but I'm not sure what that would be outside of "be a Fighter while attacking an elder ogre in a five foot wide hallway".

Be a party of casters and encounter a golem.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Mad Dragon posted:

Be a party of casters and encounter a metal golem.

Fixed that for you.

Dr Snofeld posted:

I found a cheap copy of Dark Arisen today - I've only ever played the first part of the regular game. Am I right in thinking that I can just level my character and pawn however I like and I won't be loving myself over for the DA content? I've looked up stuff on the game and all the tips I find are either "do whatever" or very specific min-max builds.

You can do what you want without worry, but knowing the details on vocations could help you. Check out this list to see what happens to your stats when you gain levels as any particular vocation.

Lv.1-99 are the critical moments of growth, and Lv.100-200 are diminishing returns zones, but as the above posters have said there's little chance of being totally gimped. Your main focus should be on good equipment.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

My main pawn Masamune...

we ride to glory

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Lunethex posted:

Fixed that for you.
And then you proceed to cast a million Bolides in hopes that some of those meteors connect with the floating medallion.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I regret selling this game. If one of you PS3 players decides that you're completely done with Dark Arisen, please PM me and I will buy your copy of the game as long as it has a case / insert.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Holy poo poo, 113,501RC. How long did this guy have my pawn?

Here's a question I've been meaning to ask for a while: Is it necessary to give pawns lanterns?

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mad Dragon posted:

Holy poo poo, 113,501RC. How long did this guy have my pawn?

Here's a question I've been meaning to ask for a while: Is it necessary to give pawns lanterns?

Yes. Though the light they give off isn't the greatest for you.

• Locked thread