Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Happy with Nyx Weaver for my dredge deck, as it allows me to bring out doom blades/golgari charms/more dredge/whips if need be. Very cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Count Bleck posted:

DEICIDE.

OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS SET.

gently caress YOU THASSA

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Holy poo poo balls. Instant favorite card in the set, not the least reason being that this is a straight up upgrade to Revoke Existence for my sideboard, since those are just in there for gods in the first place. Move to instant speed and tack on a free Slaughter Games? Yes please.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

I like how there are a bunch of different white enchantment removal spells in Standard, and there are a lot of tradeoffs in picking what you want to run. This, Tear, and Revoke Existence all have their own advantages worth considering.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Oh, *Deicide*! I read "decide". New best flavor card, hot drat.

And words cannot convey how happy I am at the functional O-Ring replacement. I'm pretty much guaranteed to play white in some shape or form, and having access to that effect is huge. It's such a cure-all- "good for what ails ya" is how I describe it. It's probably a weakness to rely on the effect so much, but it still makes me very happy.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
So Dictate of Erebos goes into MURDERGOATS right? Seems to fit well.

EDIT: Seems like Deicide should be Mythic, or is that crazy talk?

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 17, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
^^^At five mana it's a bit much, but it's pretty awesome.

That's the sound of MURDERGOATS dying. :(

EDIT: That aside, loving amazing card. What's this? WotC portraying a significant plot point on a card again??

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

loving BEAUTIFUL.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Poor Xenagos. He just wanted to party. :(

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsw-bJZd7eg
I'm definitely digging JOU so far

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

bhsman posted:

That's the sound of MURDERGOATS dying. :(

Eh, it's just one thing, isn't it? They sideboard in a narrow card to answer one particular card of yours, you keep throwing goats and/or elementals at them for moderately less value?

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Part of me now dreams of a deck built to disrupt hands: Turn one Thoughtseize, turn two Brain Maggot.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

What's this? WotC portraying a significant plot point on a card again??
That's the only thing I like about it. Folks should be able to play with their Gods, godsdamnit!

The new O-Ring is sweet. I called it coming when I saw Banisher Priest, but for some reason I didn't think about it logically being in the enchantment block. I hope it's a Core Set staple for years to come. I also like how they mostly fixed the "the game's a draw if there are three of these and no other non-land permanents" also.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Evil Badman posted:

Part of me now dreams of a deck built to disrupt hands: Turn one Thoughtseize, turn two Brain Maggot.
Turn one Thoughtseize, turn two Brain Maggot, and turn three Lifebane Zombie against G/W deck. GG.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I want whoever designed this set to be in charge going forward. The cards might not be super powerful but there are some really interesting designs and it just feels like the right mix of casual and impactful. I don't think BotG was a huge miss, but compared to this set it looks like a pile of puke.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

meanolmrcloud posted:

I want whoever designed this set to be in charge going forward. The cards might not be super powerful but there are some really interesting designs and it just feels like the right mix of casual and impactful. I don't think BotG was a huge miss, but compared to this set it looks like a pile of puke.

I think Born of the Gods was missing a lot of stuff that they deliberately held back to make the third set really exciting. The way Constellation ties together all of the "why is this an enchantment" enchantments, the Bestow guys with more utility, the global enchantments... Historically third sets without a clearly foreshadowed gimmick or twist have gone over poorly, and they managed to pull off a cool one here (at least so it seems so far). The catch is it left Born of the Gods as the comparatively dullest set.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm really eager to draft all 3, I feel like it's actually going to come together really well, even if the BNG pack is kinda boring.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Nm, misread the card. But dredge is going to be great, glad that I picked up Overgrown Tombs.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Emerson Cod posted:

Oh nice, Deicide hits Mutavault too.

Mutavault's a god, but it's not an enchantment.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Mutavault isn't an enchantment.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
is there a way in standard to make Mutavault an enchantment?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Nope.

Edit: oh hey I was wrong. Well, nothing being played at least.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Loving Life Partner posted:

is there a way in standard to make Mutavault an enchantment?

Arbiter of the Ideal inspired trigger?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

meanolmrcloud posted:

In one of MaRo's podcasts he talks about some newfangled development process that they've been using and either BNG or JOU are one of the first sets we're seeing that used this process. So the next block should be more awesome stuff like these.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I want to say it was Theros as a whole? But yeah there is now basically a pre-design design team that helps lay some groundwork for a set/block before a full team gets into it. Basically they had one of their new people do it as a learning project because if it worked, great, and if it didn't they'd just do everything like normal and no time was lost. Turns out it apparently works well and is the new standard.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Instant speed Revoke Existence? Grave Pact with Flash? What a time to play BW!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

This card gives me the same :swoon: feeling as the 7th Edition Phyrexian Hulk did way back when.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Friend and I often joke about what cards sound like rad metal bands. Deicide kind of ruins that joke. Unless they want to take it further and make:

Eyehategod
1BB

Creature - Eye

When ~ enters the battlefield, target God loses all ability text. Destroy it.

2/3

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Xenagos shows the gods to be pseudofrauds and instead of forcing the gods to deal with Elspeth just kills Xenagod and restores the status quo? Hopefully mortals remain disillusioned. disenchanted.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
mesmeric fiend in standard is pretty cool

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Based on today's poo poo, I'm going to say that unless Jund gets some beefy tools in JOU, Azorius/Esper control will be off the charts until next block. Banishing light and D-Sphere give it eight cards that can handle anything, plus a two-mana instant that makes gods go bye-bye. Sweet.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Thanks for the earlier advice in thread. If do end up trying to play some drafts, what are some good rules of thumb given I don't know the cards that well and it's been a while since I've played (other than DoTP)?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Holy poo poo, new O-Ring and a card that completely wrecks Mono-U?

I cannot wait to experiment with every flavor of White Weenie.

Edit: That sounded dirtier than I intended.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

qbert posted:

Holy poo poo, new O-Ring and a card that completely wrecks Mono-U?

I cannot wait to experiment with every flavor of White Weenie.

Edit: That sounded dirtier than I intended.

I am with you there buddy, let us explore white weenies together. :hfive:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I Think BW is looking good, might build something for block at GP Manchester. I thing enough enchantments are seeing play for Deicide. In standard I might do humans with Cartel Aristocrat and flash Grave Pact.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Gynovore posted:

Based on today's poo poo, I'm going to say that unless Jund gets some beefy tools in JOU, Azorius/Esper control will be off the charts until next block. Banishing light and D-Sphere give it eight cards that can handle anything, plus a two-mana instant that makes gods go bye-bye. Sweet.

I bet you a deck running 8 O-Rings will not be very hard to beat! Godslaughter Games is pretty cool though.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

Thanks for the earlier advice in thread. If do end up trying to play some drafts, what are some good rules of thumb given I don't know the cards that well and it's been a while since I've played (other than DoTP)?

Keep an eye on your mana curve as you draft. The bulk of your cards should be in the 3 and 4 converted mana cost range - like a bell curve. You can skew this a little if you want to run aggro (lower CMC), midrange (ramp into 4-5CMC) or control (lots of low cost spells/removal with a few really high cost finishers).

Know the cards in the set you're drafting, especially the commons. Know how they interact with each other and try to connect the dots between them. Some cards will just naturally synergize with one another.

And don't be afraid to jump into another color if you see it passing your way. Just because your first pick of your first pack is a wicked blue bomb doesn't mean you ignore the red/white aggro deck that's being sent your way.

And have fun! Drafting is my favorite way of playing Magic. Even the jankiest cards get their moment in the sun.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Gynovore posted:

Sure, but those decks have to take something out to put more O-rings in. Getting hit with D-Sphere or Banishing Light isn't necessarily worse than getting hit with Syncopate.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
It's going to be fun when Banishing Light gets Detention Sphered, and then that Detention Sphere gets Banishing Lighted, and then that Banishing Light gets Detention Sphered, and then

Deicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Someone needs to do alters of brain maggot with a picture of Khan and Chekov from Wrath of khan.

• Locked thread