Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Those god drat al bhed...wait one of them is hot, al bhed ain't so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I like that the thing that pushes Wakka over to being pro-machina is the unbridled destructive power of an airship missile barrage, as he whoops and hollers at the fireworks like the backwoods hick he is while not recognizing the murder of a major touchstone of a minority culture.

Because gently caress it, shooting a ton of missiles looks awesome.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Occupation posted:

So I just finished 13-2

Is the alyssa thing ever explained? Is that a secret ending reveal or followed up in LR?

They touch on it a couple of times but really you've already seen the whole thing play out.

The first time you meet her she says she's supposed to be dead but she got saved by some paradox.

When you leave Academia after collecting the graviton cores she apologises, says something along the lines of "I'm not part of the future you're trying to find", and then you get ambushed by Caius.

If you come back after that, she's not there and no one knows who she is. You fixed whatever paradox had saved her, so she's long dead and no one ever met her.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 17, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mr. Maltose posted:

I like that the thing that pushes Wakka over to being pro-machina is the unbridled destructive power of an airship missile barrage, as he whoops and hollers at the fireworks like the backwoods hick he is while not recognizing the murder of a major touchstone of a minority culture.

Totally in character for Bender though

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I assume Nimrook was one of the al bheds doing the kidnapping, thus making them chumps

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Tempo 119 posted:

They touch on it a couple of times but really you've already seen the whole thing play out.

The first time you meet her she says she's supposed to be dead but she got saved by some paradox.

When you leave Academia after collecting the graviton cores she apologises, says something along the lines of "I'm not part of the future you're trying to find", and then you get ambushed by Caius.

If you come back after that, she's not there and no one knows who she is. You fixed whatever paradox had saved her, so she's long dead and no one ever met her.

And then in the greatest paradox ending, Snow shows up to arrest her for working with Caius, and then Snow and Serah ride off on a sweet time-traveling motorcycle to solve TIME CRIMES while Noel is left bodyguarding Hope.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

Mr. Maltose posted:

I love the hell out of the scene on the shoopuf where he goes off on the al bhed for being cowards and thieves or whatever right in front of Rikku and Tidus has to trick him into shutting up. Yuna even does a perfect "thanks for letting our racist friend down easy" look and mouths thank you behind his back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If I have to give FFX credit for something, Wakka is a surprisingly realistic adaptation of That One Racist Shithead Everyone Knows.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Evil Fluffy posted:

Now's a good time for Nintendo to walk in with all its 3DS money and buy some/all of SE, clean out the chucklefucks that made poo poo like the original FF14 game, and have Monolith Soft work on FF16, which they'll probably finish, launch, and make DLC for before FF15 is released. :v:

Leisure Suit Lightning 4: The Missing Blu-Rays

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

ImpAtom posted:

If I have to give FFX credit for something, Wakka is a surprisingly realistic adaptation of That One Racist Shithead Everyone Knows.

It's not realistic because eventually he stops being racist.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

"YES! I finally got below 0.0.0! Hello Sun Sigil and goodbye Catcher chocobo forever......oh hey that guy moved from in front of the gorge so I can use the celestial mirror to get Tidus' weapon.....wait, why isn't the celestial mirror in my key items list?............................:stare:"

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

"YES! I finally got below 0.0.0! Hello Sun Sigil and goodbye Catcher chocobo forever......oh hey that guy moved from in front of the gorge so I can use the celestial mirror to get Tidus' weapon.....wait, why isn't the celestial mirror in my key items list?............................:stare:"

To get the dude to move, you don't need to get 0:0.0, you just have to win the race (as in, get a better time than the trainer).

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

To get the dude to move, you don't need to get 0:0.0, you just have to win the race (as in, get a better time than the trainer).

Thank. GOOOOOOD!!!

I assumed he only moved when you beat your personal record. Seriously I was sweating last night thinking about having to get < 0.0.0 again.

Trying to do everything (from memory) at once is probably a bad idea for future reference.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

I love the hell out of the scene on the shoopuf where he goes off on the al bhed for being cowards and thieves or whatever right in front of Rikku and Tidus has to trick him into shutting up. Yuna even does a perfect "thanks for letting our racist friend down easy" look and mouths thank you behind his back.

I know a lot of people give Wakka poo poo for being racist, but they did make it pretty clear in game that he hates them mostly because they use Machina. Not just because they are Al Bhed. The game also makes it pretty clear that all of the Al Bhed are down with Machina. I cannot think of a single example in the game where we learn about an Al Bhed who believes otherwise. Wakka and everyone around him was raised to believe that a big part of the reason that Sin (the murderer of Wakka's parents, his brother, and tons of other important people to him) keeps resurrecting is because the teachings are not being followed. The teachings say Machina = bad. My point is that Wakka clearly hates the Al Bhed because of what they choose to do. Not because of their race.

At the same time, Wakka's mind begins as being pretty closed off which deserves criticism, but I don't think that it resembles racism as much as it resembles the traditional mind set of hard core believers of any type of faith and that questioning such beliefs is frowned upon and should be avoided.

At least, that has always been my take on it. I welcome other opinions coupled with justifications.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

I find it hilarious that the Psyches are in story beaten with just a bit of minor injury drama for Wakka while the Goers are the tough nigh unbeatable champions while once you play Blitzball the Psyches are by far the strongest team and the Goers are chumps.

They redouble their training after losing to the worst team in the league.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Does X-2 have any kinda superbosses or anything? I'm just skipping all the cutscenes but gonna try to do as much in the game as possible, even though I can't get 100% in it. gently caress bullshit anime stories, seriously.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

ManOfTheYear posted:

Does X-2 have any kinda superbosses or anything? I'm just skipping all the cutscenes but gonna try to do as much in the game as possible, even though I can't get 100% in it. gently caress bullshit anime stories, seriously.

If you're playing the normal version of X-2, there's the Via Infinito bosses, capped off with Trema at the bottom, as well as Angra Mainyu. The International Version/HD remaster also has Major Numerus, and Mighty Shinra.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I thought I had it this time. Fifteen balloons, then BAM! I got stunlocked by three birds straight right at the end.

Though the people that gave advice like 'mute the tv' have made this more bearable.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

LadyPictureShow posted:

I thought I had it this time. Fifteen balloons, then BAM! I got stunlocked by three birds straight right at the end.

Though the people that gave advice like 'mute the tv' have made this more bearable.

I hate that. The birds at the end are harder to predict and avoid.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So where's the best place to get four empty slot armors at the endgame?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So where's the best place to get four empty slot armors at the endgame?

If you talked to him up on Gagazet, Wantz will have moved to the entrance of Macalania Woods, and sells full empty four-slot weapons/armors for the entire party for 100k a pop.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

S-Alpha posted:

If you talked to him up on Gagazet, Wantz will have moved to the entrance of Macalania Woods, and sells full empty four-slot weapons/armors for the entire party for 100k a pop.

Hrmph...then I can afford...two of them.

And I still gotta buy Yojimbo so...now I need money. :(

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Hrmph...then I can afford...two of them.

And I still gotta buy Yojimbo so...now I need money. :(

Well, once you head over to the Omega Ruins, you can equip Rikku's Celestial Weapon (or anything with Gillionaire) and kill mimics to get a little over 100k a pop, so that's a good start.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

S-Alpha posted:

Well, once you head over to the Omega Ruins, you can equip Rikku's Celestial Weapon (or anything with Gillionaire) and kill mimics to get a little over 100k a pop, so that's a good start.

Oh snap. Time to go catch some Cacti then!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

edit: nvm, I misread

Later on, though, apparently the most efficient way of making money is buying cheap armor, slapping SOS Regen on it (the material for which you get 40 a pop from killing Kottos in the arena), and selling those en masse. I've yet to get to that point, since I got like ten million from just catching monsters in Omega Ruins, but it's something to keep in mind for later.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 17, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

fronz posted:

I assume Nimrook was one of the al bheds doing the kidnapping, thus making them chumps

I like this theory, because seriously, Nimrook is insane.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's literally impossible for the Aurochs to have scored on Nimrook from their stats, so it's the only theory that makes sense.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Systematic System posted:

If you're playing the normal version of X-2, there's the Via Infinito bosses, capped off with Trema at the bottom, as well as Angra Mainyu. The International Version/HD remaster also has Major Numerus, and Mighty Shinra.

Okay, sounds good. Never fought superbosses in X, mainly because maxing the stats is such a hassle. I like the sphere grid, but minmaxing in that game is a pain.

Surprised how much I'm having fun with X-2. I went to Besaid, made all the characters white mages, but a weight on the top of my X button and now the game is levelling up my jobs for me. Beautiful.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

MrAristocrates posted:

It's literally impossible for the Aurochs to have scored on Nimrook from their stats, so it's the only theory that makes sense.

Not true - if the RNG was favorable, a Venom Shot from Wakka could've done it :colbert:

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

ManOfTheYear posted:

Okay, sounds good. Never fought superbosses in X, mainly because maxing the stats is such a hassle. I like the sphere grid, but minmaxing in that game is a pain.

Surprised how much I'm having fun with X-2. I went to Besaid, made all the characters white mages, but a weight on the top of my X button and now the game is levelling up my jobs for me. Beautiful.

Good news: if you want to have a hope of beating Major Numerus you'll need to grind YRP probably to level 99, and even then, there's a fair amount of luck in the fight. If you use monsters though, you can fairly well trivalize it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MrAristocrates posted:

Besides...you know...Narrative structure.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Narrative structure collapses in the face of Nimrook.

Maybe he was constipated and they put Eigaar back there.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Man, it's been so long since I played FFX the first time that I'd forgotten what a motherfucker Seymour Flux is. Probably doesn't help that I've taken diversions on the expert sphere grid so nobody has Curaga yet. Gave everyone Zombie Ward armour thinking I was so smart but it turns out he has an attack that basically wipes your party. May just go "gently caress it" and use Trio of 9999.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

He's vulnerable to Poison, which helps a bunch.

A lot of things are, and Poison's great in FFX.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Man, it's been so long since I played FFX the first time that I'd forgotten what a motherfucker Seymour Flux is. Probably doesn't help that I've taken diversions on the expert sphere grid so nobody has Curaga yet. Gave everyone Zombie Ward armour thinking I was so smart but it turns out he has an attack that basically wipes your party. May just go "gently caress it" and use Trio of 9999.

Cheerx5, Protect everyone, and you're essentially safe. I've never had a problem with Total Annihilation.

Alternatively, Bio him and just let Poison kill him - he'll never trigger the phase changes.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

ApplesandOranges posted:

Cheerx5, Protect everyone, and you're essentially safe. I've never had a problem with Total Annihilation.

Alternatively, Bio him and just let Poison kill him - he'll never trigger the phase changes.

Total Annihilation is Magic-based :haw:

ApplesandOranges posted:

This is the way to go if you just can't get past him and you don't have a million billion gil for Zanmato.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

fronz posted:

Narrative structure collapses in the face of Nimrook.

Maybe he was constipated and they put Eigaar back there.

Nimrook was super bored playing goalie all the time, so he had someone else cover for him.
"C'mon guys, we're playing the Aurochs for christ's sake! Just one game!"
Or if you want to be picky...
"L'suh kioc, fa'na bmyoehk dra Yinulrc vun lrnecd'c cyga! Zicd uha kysa!"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

God loving drat that lightning dlc was hard as balls

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TARDISman posted:

Nimrook was super bored playing goalie all the time, so he had someone else cover for him.
"C'mon guys, we're playing the Aurochs for christ's sake! Just one game!"
Or if you want to be picky...
"L'suh kioc, fa'na bmyoehk dra Yinulrc vun lrnecd'c cyga! Zicd uha kysa!"

Please make all your future posts in Al Bhed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Please make all your future posts in Al Bhed.

Warning: the posts you are about to read are canon