Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Man that graphic with the money rewards is important. I know the general costs of things but I still find myself out of money too often and carrying just a pistol too often. I don't think I have ever been able to comfortably get an AWP.
I think the trick is not dying all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

IT BEGINS posted:

Where are you supposed to play from when holding B solo on Mirage? I can't get up to Van in time to stop a flat rush, and I'm likely to get shot out while jumping up if T's had a good spawn. Playing Bench is not too bad but it's the first spot checked and I'm very likely to get smoked off. Playing near Connector is where I tend to play now, but I find that I'm often missing T's sticking to the right wall of Apartments while pushing out and I'm basically just giving up the site once one of them gets out to Van. I also don't really have anywhere to retreat to from there.

I love playing mirage B. First thing I usually do is jump in through window and toss a smoke into apts through the far right window, once you do that you have tons of options. By the time you've thrown the smoke, you will be hearing the millions of footsteps of a B rush already, on a rush I usually dip in to the site and get an angle on the first dude to jump out the window, after killing him just juke around the site and throw your flashes while the t's try to surround you.

If they aren't rushing, I tend to push further up cat(after watching my smoke for a second or two) and keep listening for underpass and poo poo. Before the bomb's been spotted I usually tend to work my way over towards A if I'm positive there is nobody in apts(either peek it a couple seconds after your smoke fades, or make an educated guess using ~GAMESENSE~). If I feel like they might be working B apts after a little while, I usually go to bench and post up to kill the first guy who comes out onto the porch thing at the end of apts and then drop back to the site and do the whole juking thing.

IMO on mirage, playing B is all about using your gamesense to preemptively rotate toward mid(so the guy playing mid can focus his attention on A). By the time you have cleared/killed anybody in mid, you should have a pretty good idea of where you need to be. Either A will be getting pushed pretty hard by that point, or if it's not I usually make the underpass/b assumption and tell a teammate to keep an eye on underpass exit while I drop back to B.

Basically, most of the time you're better off not peeking up into apts from the van at the very beginning of the round, wait to do that until your smoke has cleared or whatever. If you're going to play up on cat you just need to be relatively confident that nobody will come out of the apts for the next 20 seconds or whatever, try to always be wary of a lurker sneaking out.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
We've gone too long without seeing this video again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSuBWzqudKo

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Babyface Mingo posted:

Low rates. Fix your rates.

Do you mean tick rates, or FPS? Because I don't have control over the former (other than not MMing and looking for community servers, of course), and the latter is usually in the 100-120 range so I thought it should be OK for 64-tick servers.

NTT posted:

It's unfortunate that those weapons are pretty much exclusively a second round (winning pistols) purchase. Then you buy rifles two rounds later when the opposing team has enough money for a full buy.

tl;dr shotguns/smgs, despite their wonderful economic pricing/reward scaling, don't compare to the power and precision of a rifle for any range within 20 meters, and the rifle only outpaces them even more severely past that. You can make it work close range, but even then a rifle will do you just as well. They are fun haver guns, and you will be more effective with a p250 than any of those other weapons, considering that a p250 is a quarter of the price of the first smg/shotgun that you see, ever, in a full buy round.

You can make any of the smgs/shotguns work in tactical situations in a pinch, such as holding chokepoints like cat on Dust 2 as CT, but as soon as you have to rotate across an open area, you're pretty much hosed.

This is why I really like Inferno, I get to shout "I'M GOING SHOTGUN APARTMENTS" at round start and I have an almost legitimate excuse for my happy-go-lucky Nova/MAG-7 + Deagle/5-7 funtimes loadout. Then even if I have to rotate before I get the chance to pick up a rifle, I can still usually find a path that allows for shotgun range engagements.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

DareToSlack posted:

My guess is that if you've trained yourself to do it you can do it, but when you have an off day you fail hard. It's a lot harder to correct a mis-flick when a mm is multiple pixels.

This is true in my experience

Xenaero posted:

We've gone too long without seeing this video again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSuBWzqudKo

Pretty much everything in this video is more visually appealing than CSGO. Simple, clean, colorful, cooler animations

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It'd be nice if they increased the penetration of the shotties a bunch, since that would add a lot more potential spots to ambush from that a p250 couldn't do as well. That would make them really good and viable.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

This is true in my experience

Pretty much everything in this video is more visually appealing than CSGO. Simple, clean, colorful, cooler animations

I can't agree that people falling backwards no matter the direction the lethal bullet came from is really a "cooler animation." I've felt that way as a result of sheer nostalgia too, don't you think that's what's happening here?

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

I played 1.6 as much as anybody and I would use the word "garish" over "colorful"

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
F11 this thread

eppu
Apr 15, 2005

Coleman posted:

If you did this yourself, would you mind posting (or PMing me or something else, whatever) a list of what pro players you looked up, and which had what sensitivities? I'd be very curious to see which players fall where.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApfdL72FiJcedHdkdW1vZ05MS3oyMlR3TDczY0stQnc&usp=sharing#gid=0

There you go.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJLc-2c_cpo

Sometimes people are just bad enough that you can get an ace with a P90, awful aim and awful game sense.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Necc0 posted:

Name at least one mistake made by each of the CTs in that video.

None of them used grenades except for the guy who really shouldn't have used grenades.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

whoknew posted:

You should have raw input on so it should not be necessary.

Don't have raw input on.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Don't have raw input on.

100% wrong. As I said earlier I've read the Source mouse code and not having m_rawinput on is just making it more possible for windows and the engine to gently caress with your x and y deltas.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Don't have raw input on.

wrong

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

Space Hamlet posted:

I can't agree that people falling backwards no matter the direction the lethal bullet came from is really a "cooler animation." I've felt that way as a result of sheer nostalgia too, don't you think that's what's happening here?

It being unrealistic doesn't matter to me so no, I prefer the impact of the 1.6 headshot animation.

I think CSGO is drab as hell without some level of digital vibrance or sweetfx. Mirage is the most visually pleasing Official map for me, everything else is sort of gloomy or dull, especially inferno. The colors in that video are overdone but I'd much rather look at that than a washed out D2 with post processing.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Pretty much nostalgia is the only real reason you like 1.6 graphics better than any game made in the past 10 years, including csgo.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Apogee15 posted:

Pretty much nostalgia is the only real reason you like 1.6 graphics better than any game made in the past 10 years, including csgo.

I never played 1.6 and I'd rather that than GO's graphics.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Apogee15 posted:

Not quite what was said though. Just that he likes the animation. Maybe it's more like a associated brain thing. Set headshot animations from other games are always kind of satisfying.

FetalDave
Jun 25, 2011

Moumantai!

Xenaero posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xWfEoFSlFU

I dunno man, I like the CSS one better.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HafOZILLGIw

imo this is the best cs vid

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

I think CSGO is drab as hell without some level of digital vibrance or sweetfx. Mirage is the most visually pleasing Official map for me, everything else is sort of gloomy or dull, especially inferno. The colors in that video are overdone but I'd much rather look at that than a washed out D2 with post processing.

I think Inferno looks pretty good and distinct, actually, but there's lots of other maps where I would agree on the "drab as hell" thing. Nuke and Dust1 are very dull, Aztec could have been vibrant but instead is a soupy mess, and I've actually taken Train out of my list, despite enjoying the layout a lot, simply because it's so full of little grey/brown things that I find it eye-straining to spot the Ts/CTs.

CS:GO is my first CS game, for the record, so I'm not comparing it to anything previous.

FetalDave
Jun 25, 2011

Moumantai!

BAP STEKS

Finnin
Mar 25, 2014

by Ralp
IS there a video out there that shows some pros playing with like a box of their mouse movements synced up to it so I can get a sense of this all?

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.

Finnin posted:

IS there a video out there that shows some pros playing with like a box of their mouse movements synced up to it so I can get a sense of this all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7jk62E-Hks

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

FetalDave posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xWfEoFSlFU

I dunno man, I like the CSS one better.

True, the ragdolls make it super good.

Finnin
Mar 25, 2014

by Ralp
Wait are you really supposed to do 10 inches per 360 degree turn around? That makes it near impossible to turn around for me and check my six with my mouse unless I make really exaggerated movement.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You shouldn't be playing in spots where you are going to get shot from behind.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Finnin posted:

Wait are you really supposed to do 10 inches per 360 degree turn around? That makes it near impossible to turn around for me and check my six with my mouse unless I make really exaggerated movement.

20 inches but yes that's correct. Get a big mousepad, they're cheap.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Just checked that calculator thingy and it turns out I play with 22inch/360, honestly turning around quickly is not that big of a deal, I have a QCK+ mousepad and if you use your elbow you can usually deal with attacks from your flank (from a bad player).

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 17, 2014

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Why do so many pro players use such crappy resolutions? According to this, there's a ton of people playing at 1024x768.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

IAmUnaware posted:

Why do so many pro players use such crappy resolutions? According to this, there's a ton of people playing at 1024x768.

Just to be consistent across machine basically. I mean preference plays a part too, but if you are running at 1024x768 then pretty much any computer you come across will be able to run smoothly at that resolution. It's more common among people who go to lans and tournaments. There is no real objective advantage to playing at a lower resolution though.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Finnin posted:

There's two answers.

1: what astro said, don't put yourself in spots where people can flank you.
2: the justification for high level players is that if someone pops up behind you or to your side, you should be dead anyway, you wont have a chance to react anyway.

Finnin
Mar 25, 2014

by Ralp

astr0man posted:

You shouldn't be playing in spots where you are going to get shot from behind.

That's literally impossible.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Finnin posted:

Not with a good team it's not. The idea is to always have team mates covering the flankable areas. And if you're last alive in a 1vX situation, and someone winds up behind you, then you should be dead before you can spin around no matter what your sensitivity is.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Finnin posted:

Nothing is impossible if you just gooden your vibes

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Finnin posted:

hahahah what, give me an example of a spot where someone can sneak up behind you without you knowing?

Finnin
Mar 25, 2014

by Ralp
A on Dust 2.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Finnin posted:

A on Dust 2.

There's like 4 places you can chill and see all three ways onto the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
It doesn't even take a good team to not get shot in the back.

Finnin posted:

A on Dust 2.

You just need some gamesense and awareness, both come with experience.

• Locked thread