Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Booblord Zagats posted:

Maybe she's too ugly for the Air Force

Maintenance girls are generally busted as gently caress. I knew of one legitimately cute MX girl who had huge boobs,a hood piercing, and nipple piercings. I've never met a girl who loved blowing dick in such a profound way. Truly, a dick was her canvas. She was fun as hell.

bloops fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Booblord Zagats posted:

Maybe she's too ugly for the Air Force

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I'm sending all this to her, so keep it coming :D

"Which has the quickest promotion? I hate boats and have a fear of drowning. How many navy jobs can guarantee I will never be stationed on a boat."

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

goodness posted:

I'm sending all this to her, so keep it coming :D

"Which has the quickest promotion? I hate boats and have a fear of drowning. How many navy jobs can guarantee I will never be stationed on a boat."

Hahaha. Hope she's pretty or else life's gonna be hard for her.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Don't join the navy if you don't want to be on a ship.

Yeah, some jobs potentially never step foot on them, but it's the god drat navy. Ships are kindof what they loving do.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, some jobs potentially never step foot on them, but it's the god drat navy. Ships are kindof what they loving do.

It also rules out flying because she'll have to attend water survival.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

holocaust bloopers posted:

It also rules out flying because she'll have to attend water survival.

She's gonna join the Army and make E-8

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

All jokes aside, what's her hangup with the Air Force? It sounds like it would be the ideal fit.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

shyduck posted:

All jokes aside, what's her hangup with the Air Force? It sounds like it would be the ideal fit.

Probably because she thinks everyone in the AF flies.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Does she like being sexually harassed on a daily basis by people who are literally in charge of her life?? If so, any branch will do.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

shyduck posted:

She talked to my dad (army special forces like 30 years ago) and I think he convinced her to join the AF. I was telling her to do that do, so hopefully she will listen.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Friend is apparently enlisting in the Army with a good math degree to try and be an accountant of some sort if they let him.

He's doing it as a path to citizenship, despite being able to secure other work in the past. Crazy?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

scroogle nmaps posted:

Friend is apparently enlisting in the Army with a good math degree to try and be an accountant of some sort if they let him.

He's doing it as a path to citizenship, despite being able to secure other work in the past. Crazy?

I know a guy from Bosnia who did this. By the time it was all said and done he said he would've rather just stayed in Bosnia.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I avoided being PCS afloat. Its nice. TAD Afloat for a few deployments but most of the bullshit was cut out.

Why does everyone always bring up the water when talking about the Navy? If any sailor winds up in the water something has gone horribly wrong.

But yeah join the goddamn AF then realize its a terrible decision all around.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Laranzu posted:

Why does everyone always bring up the water when talking about the Navy? If any sailor winds up in the water something has gone horribly wrong.

Because the ships are in it?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

scroogle nmaps posted:

He has a math degree and he's enlisting? How long is the contract, like, 3-6 years or something? You can apply to be a citizen after 5 years if you speak English and can pass a pretty easy test.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Laranzu posted:

I avoided being PCS afloat. Its nice. TAD Afloat for a few deployments but most of the bullshit was cut out.

But yeah join the goddamn AF then realize its a terrible decision all around.

People don't believe me when I say that they don't really need to be able to swim to join the navy. They are surprised that army swimming reqs are sometimes more stringent.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, assuming he has permanent residency, which you need to enlist, why would you enlist? Although you can get citizenship really fast through the military.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

People don't believe me when I say that they don't really need to be able to swim to join the navy. They are surprised that army swimming reqs are sometimes more stringent.

Yeah, I passed third class swimmer and never cared about it again.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Lucius posted:

Navy: too busy to do your job because there is something to clean, a meeting to be in, paperwork to do, or some other Navy bullshit.

This is 80% true for the rest of the Navy in general. The other 20% of the time your out collecting meaningless signatures for some qual that doesn't actually apply to your job.

edit - about Navy swimming. I grew up in the midwest, where the only pools I ever had were above ground, and they weren't used for swimming, they were used to get girls to take their tops off. I'm a poo poo swimmer. If you can backstroke for a short distance and flop around enough to stay afloat for a minute, you can pass the third class swim test. poo poo's a joke.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Hey all. I'm 23, male, withdrew from college with poor grades in pursuit of a worthless political science degree. I signed up with the Navy for IT/ATF in hopes of having some useful computer skills when I got out and free money for going back to college. The more I read this thread though the more I think I'm making a mistake. Maybe I should apply to some community colleges instead? I don't know. I feel like there are some benefits the Navy is offering, but the life seems kind of lovely, and 6 years is a long time.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

OhFunny posted:

I think I'm making a mistake.

Yep.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

OhFunny posted:

Hey all. I'm 23, male, withdrew from college with poor grades in pursuit of a worthless political science degree. I signed up with the Navy for IT/ATF in hopes of having some useful computer skills when I got out and free money for going back to college. The more I read this thread though the more I think I'm making a mistake. Maybe I should apply to some community colleges instead? I don't know. I feel like there are some benefits the Navy is offering, but the life seems kind of lovely, and 6 years is a long time.

Joining the military sounds cool until you are in it I imagine.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

OhFunny posted:

Eh, it depends. If you can function as a normal human and interact with people without cowering into a ball, then the Navy will be easy (especially as a computer janitor).

If you went back to school, would you still pursue polisci? Do you have a financial safety net?

edit: do you have the option of doing a 4-year contract?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

OhFunny posted:

As a dude that joined to get shot at and blown up, I must say that you can likely find more pleasure by putting your balls in a mouse trap and biting the student loans/grants to just go and get a degree in a community college and find yourself.

EDIT:
To explain a bit thoroughly my back story like the dude below my post said: I joined pretty much seeking death after dropping out of school. I was going to school for Biology, with a focus on Marine Biology and the chemistry involved with some species for possible expansion into immunology. I worked in a research lab, leading to me dropping out because I didn't feel like attending the freshman level courses the college wanted me to attend. I joined wanting nothing more than to get blown up and my parents get the money. Instead of that, I ended up getting the opposite, working hilariously enough in a mental health setting where I spend most of my time showing people my age reasons to live because they joined ratings in the Navy they weren't prepared for. I've seen my friends (mostly other corpsmen) either get killed or end up seeing mental health providers because they got blown up numerous times.

If there's one thing I can say from speaking with people that went to college and dropped out to join for the possibility of going back, I can say that you might find yourself in the position where you'll look at a lovely experience while you're in and try and find an excuse to get out to go back to school. This will likely be fueled by something negative in your life at the time (you'll be stuck on a boat doing pointless DETs or something and you're going to get pissed because your LPO is a dick and some guy is sucking balls/massaging dicks to get that EP you know you deserve) and you'll be blind to the positives of the service that you may take for granted.

I suggest that before you sign a contract for 6 years of your life you look into what you really want to do in life and what you desire most. Don't think that you're going to have an epiphany while in and your life will be 100% solved. That being said, if you want to join after taking a bit to weigh the pros and cons of you going back to school for something else (because poo poo, in this day and age what kid our age isn't in debt in some way, shape, or form?) then by all means join. Research a gig that fits you and will probably serve something in the future. I hear from some of my friends that getting CTM instead of IT can help out in landing a sweet gig on the outside but I don't know much about that. So, the choice is yours, but remember that regardless of if you join or if you go back to school, it's something that you'll have to look forward to for the next 6 years of your life, with a drastic difference in preparing for the future.

Some commands suck. Others are phenomenal. A third of your experience is people, another your job, and lastly your outlook on it with what happens in interacting every day.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 17, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

goodness posted:

Joining the military sounds cool until you are in it I imagine.

It's not lost on me that the tone we cop in this thread is "Oh god save yourself!" when it comes to joining the military. I think what's important is to consider who's telling you this advice and what they're experiences were. Problem is we don't really tell much beyond the funny, horrifying, or near-death experiences here on GiP.

I got lucky. I did 10 years in the USAF doing a job that I loved, had zero friends killed in the war nor did I leave the service in terrible shape. I got free college, traveled the world, and wore a flight suit while making a huge sum of cash (relatively speaking). It was great. Enlisting was the best decision I ever made. Separating was the second best.

Not everyone has that experience. Now also worth highlighting is many of us served when two wars were raging and had budgets to match. We got to do poo poo and kept busy doing what we were all trained for (mostly). What happened from 2012 to now is the wartime funding left so did all of the fun and all of the opportunities for schools. The time we spent doing legit work had to be filled. This is where the bureaucratic, acidic nightmare of peace-time military service comes in and why so many of us honestly advocate for you guys and girls coming in here to find something else to do with your lives.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I think I am swinging her slowly toward AF or not joining at all, but..

"I can understand their point for infantry. Their job is non existent in piece time. But intelligence analyzing, the job I want to do, is making sure we aren't surprised. It's still needed during peace."

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

goodness posted:

"I can understand their point for infantry. Their job is non existent in piece time. But intelligence analyzing, the job I want to do, is making sure we aren't surprised. It's still needed during peace."

Some intel GiP dude will refute this here soon enough. I know from the AF side, all our intel guys did was make powerpoints or read reports.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

goodness posted:

lmao well she can think that if she wants, gonna be a real rude awakening

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

goodness posted:

Welp, sounds like she already knows everything. She'll feel right at home with all of the other E4 nubs that know everything.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

"What better way than by letting the military feed me and house me. Plus pay for school even if they don't pay for all of it. I have tried to think if other ways to do that and it not land me with debts and having to worry about bills and other things I understand what they are saying about it being peace time and it being boring but peace won't last for ever especially with Russia doing their poo poo. I will look into Air Force especially now that the army is starting to give me issues about not wanting to leave until after July. I'm not going into this thinking it will be super exciting and over optimistic. The work will be boring but it's not for ever and it will make my life easier in the future. Well easier than some of my other options."

Well I helped with what I could, at least she probably will not be joining the Army so we won a small battle.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
She sounds p dumb so she is meant for the military.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

goodness posted:

"I understand what they are saying about it being peace time and it being boring but peace won't last for ever especially with Russia doing their poo poo."

With analytical skills like this she'll be a perfect fit for AF intel.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

iyaayas01 posted:

When I went to MEPs, my roommate in the hotel was an AF wannabe. She was skinny but spent all night puking up dinner because she couldn't afford the extra weight. gently caress all that. I'd rather be healthy than have a golf course on base and the best housing in the DoD.

Wait. Nope. Want a better house.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

AF intel, of course, means being the reasonably cute girl surrounded by 23 nerdy idiots who can barely spell their own names right and are either A-too scared to talk to a girl or B-able to deal with it through strength-in-numbers and run a train on her in the dorms every 1st and 15th.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

AF intel, of course, means being the reasonably cute girl surrounded by 23 nerdy idiots who can barely spell their own names right and are either A-too scared to talk to a girl or B-able to deal with it through strength-in-numbers and run a train on her in the dorms every 1st and 15th.

I was actually making the joke that AF intel is full of retards (regardless of gender/attractiveness), but you also raise an extremely valid point.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I actually kinda like my life and experiences joining the Navy after quitting college. Take that as you will.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

goodness posted:

Being tactical intel will protect the United States from our next major threat.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As much as command and control sucks hell-dicks, I'm p sure ISR people are the only ones more miserable. Also at least my job is tangentially related to FEMA poo poo as a civ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

MancXVI posted:

Eh, it depends. If you can function as a normal human and interact with people without cowering into a ball, then the Navy will be easy (especially as a computer janitor).

If you went back to school, would you still pursue polisci? Do you have a financial safety net?

edit: do you have the option of doing a 4-year contract?
Normal Human function and interaction has never been a problem in anyway, so that's good to hear.

I would not do polisci again. I picked it without even thinking about it and half the reason I withdrew was because I found it uninteresting and worthless. I would do something with computers. I've built my own and it's something I'd like to do going forward. As for finances I'm living with my parents. I have money saved up. I could probably get my old summer job back with a phone call. To have the Navy pay my student debt off and then give me a free ride after getting out for 6 years vs piling more debt on top of what I have and maybe not even getting a better job is really what I'm staring hard at as I think it all over.

I don't think so. I held out for IT for about 4 months until a spot opened up. I turned down Nukes/Subs/etc until I got it.

Pandasmores posted:

A lot of good stuff.

holocaust bloopers posted:

More good stuff.
Thanks a lot for these replies guys. After coming home I've really been trying to figure out what the best path forward for me is. I ship out at the end of May and closer the day comes the more closely I look at whether this is the best decision that is available for me. As I typed out above I've been trying to weight the pros and cons. I appreciate the honest advice. I think I'll talk this over some more with my parents.

• Locked thread