Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Rirse posted:

Might go with this method. I know you said it doesn't let you configure buttons, but does that apply for emulators or just apps that have controller support?

Emulators will let you configure, but it's a crap shoot with other apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ium%3DWidgetWeb

Google also released the Chromoting app, a remote desktop app that works for any computer running Chrome.

I just tried this out. Its a decent alternative to VNC or remote desktop. Not sure if it's better than either of those, but it does seem to work well.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I did a brief look, but is there any more info out there on when the Voice/Hangout integration will happen? I thought I remembered the initial plan was March 2014,but clearly that's not the case...I'm guessing May at the earliest?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I did a brief look, but is there any more info out there on when the Voice/Hangout integration will happen? I thought I remembered the initial plan was March 2014,but clearly that's not the case...I'm guessing May at the earliest?

No dates were set.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

May 15, 2014, not March.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11/04/merging-of-google-voice-and-hangouts-will-result-shutting-down-all-3rd-party-voice-apps-in-may-2014/

On that date, apps such as GrooveIP will no longer work. It's possible that that's also the date that Hangouts and Voice will merge.

To add to more from the new Google Camera app:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/04/16/apk-teardown-advanced-camera-mode-photo-sphere-live-wallpaper-and-more-hiding-in-google-camera/

Looks like we'll be getting:
  • Photo Sphere Live Wallpaper
  • Time Lapse
  • Advanced Camera
  • Wide Angle Mode
  • Different focus modes (Auto, Infinity, and Macro)
  • Touch to take a photo while recording a video will return (removed as of the Google Camera update)
  • Silly faces in video
  • Background replacements in video
  • Ability to use the LED flash as a flashlight (called torch in the string code)

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 16, 2014

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010

Lowen SoDium posted:

I just tried this out. Its a decent alternative to VNC or remote desktop. Not sure if it's better than either of those, but it does seem to work well.

Its better because I automatically dismissed other solutions as taking too much effort for me to set up to bother while with chrome I knew it would be pretty painless and it was. Whether it actually is easier or not I don't know but it doesn't really matter because I have this now.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

This is the only one that works flawlessly for me. Every single other app like it, including Microsoft's own app, had some kind of issue with Windows and my settings would be reset. This happened on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 8.1 Update 1.

I'm pretty pleased with this. Plus, I can easily teach my mom to just give me access if something is wrong when I'm not there.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Good. I'm still pissed off that they removed the squishy-head video thing that ICS had :mad:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm left handed so when holding my Moto G in my left hand it's more comfortable and natural to swipe with my thumb from right to left. Unfortunately this gesture declines phone calls rather than answering them. This is really annoying since I can use the same gesture to unlock the phone so I'm used to doing it but it means I keep hanging up when I get a call. Is there a solution to this?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/04/16/apk-download-youtube-for-android-can-finally-cast-live-videos-with-todays-update-5-6/

The new YouTube app, coming out today, allows for casting live YouTube streams to your Chromecast. This function has been on the desktop and iOS versions of YouTube for a week or so now.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
My favorite thing about the new camera app: if you try to shoot a video in portrait, Google subtly suggests you rotate to landscape before you shoot.

Thank christ.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Venkmanologist posted:

My favorite thing about the new camera app: if you try to shoot a video in portrait, Google subtly suggests you rotate to landscape before you shoot.

Thank christ.

You can tap the icon and it'll go away as well.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

ThermoPhysical posted:

You can tap the icon and it'll go away as well.

Yeah I'd rather it just refuse to begin recording until you rotate, but some people just want to watch the world burn.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/04/16/apk-download-youtube-for-android-can-finally-cast-live-videos-with-todays-update-5-6/

The new YouTube app, coming out today, allows for casting live YouTube streams to your Chromecast. This function has been on the desktop and iOS versions of YouTube for a week or so now.

Maybe this means one step closer to mlb.TV support?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone know of a offline maps option that I can make notes on? I'm going to be traveling to Italy in a couple weeks and looking for something better to identify my hotels and stops instead of just making basic text notes, especially since I don't plan on having any sort of data access beyond the occasional wifi connection.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ium%3DWidgetWeb

Google also released the Chromoting app, a remote desktop app that works for any computer running Chrome.

I've been waiting for this for a while. I use Chrome Remote Desktop to control my media PC at home, and it's always irritated me that I couldn't access it from my phone.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

In case you didn't already know, Google Voice and Hangouts "integrate" now if you change your preferences in the GV app to use your Messaging app and then turn on SMS in Hangouts.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Manky posted:

In case you didn't already know, Google Voice and Hangouts "integrate" now if you change your preferences in the GV app to use your Messaging app and then turn on SMS in Hangouts.

While this does work, it doesn't show your Google Voice number to the person receiving the SMS that you sent from Hangouts.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

BoyBlunder posted:

While this does work, it doesn't show your Google Voice number to the person receiving the SMS that you sent from Hangouts.

Sure it does, you just have to save the mysterious Google Voice forwarding number each contact gets and text that instead.

ninja edit: I'm pretty sure, haven't heard differently from any correspondents.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I really like Google Hangouts as SMS, but pictures don't send or receive on my T-Mobile HTC One. Now I am back to the stock messenger and I hate it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rusty Kettle posted:

I really like Google Hangouts as SMS, but pictures don't send or receive on my T-Mobile HTC One. Now I am back to the stock messenger and I hate it.

Probably an APN setting. Check that and make sure they are right.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Manky posted:

Sure it does, you just have to save the mysterious Google Voice forwarding number each contact gets and text that instead.

ninja edit: I'm pretty sure, haven't heard differently from any correspondents.

I can confirm it does. I use this to text people all the time. No one in my family or friends knows my actual number.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I'd like to start using Google Authenticator/2-step, but I'm having a hard time understanding how it works exactly. Particularly, I'm not understanding how it will work with multiple accounts; I have a primary, personal Google account for most of my poo poo but I also have a work account active on the phone for some extra calendars and contacts.

I'm sure this is really easy but something just isn't clicking.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Drunk Tomato posted:

Maybe this means one step closer to mlb.TV support?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HunXxeATwEs

Apparently, yes. This is a thing now.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Require More Fire posted:

I'd like to start using Google Authenticator/2-step, but I'm having a hard time understanding how it works exactly. Particularly, I'm not understanding how it will work with multiple accounts; I have a primary, personal Google account for most of my poo poo but I also have a work account active on the phone for some extra calendars and contacts.

I'm sure this is really easy but something just isn't clicking.

You can set up extra accounts if you tap the overflow menu and choose "Set up account"

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can even add non-Google accounts for other services that use the same TOTP protocol (Facebook, MS, Wordpress, Github, etc.) which is neat.

We use Google Apps at work so I have two accounts on all my devices and having 2FA enabled causes exactly zero issues. So yeah, go for it.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

nessin posted:

Anyone know of a offline maps option that I can make notes on? I'm going to be traveling to Italy in a couple weeks and looking for something better to identify my hotels and stops instead of just making basic text notes, especially since I don't plan on having any sort of data access beyond the occasional wifi connection.

Osmand might be able to do this for you - it's pretty good in offline mode.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
That's awesome, I guess they just added it today. This should be nicer than casting the tab from my PC.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Anyone have any suggestions for a decent clock widget that will also display the weather and such?

I have dashclock for my lockscreen but I'm not really liking it on my homescreen.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Aardvark Barber posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for a decent clock widget that will also display the weather and such?

I have dashclock for my lockscreen but I'm not really liking it on my homescreen.

I've been using Fancy Widget for a while and I quite like it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

You can cast practically any streaming video from your PC to your Chromecast by opening "127.0.0.1:8888" in a Chrome browser while playing the video and then casting the tab to Chromecast. Then hit full screen and go for it. Sometimes you may need to use the internal IP of your computer (192.168. what.ever:8888) but generally you can do it with just the localhost IP (or even localhost: 8888).

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Tha Chodesweller posted:

The only app I can use on my phone is the stock Samsung app or 8sms. Everything else, including Hangouts, just will not support MMS well. Not that I send photos too often, but it's frustrating to have to gently caress around with it for twenty minutes to send a 3mb image.

I basically have a similar problem but with emojis. Not that I send that many but people just don't get the ones I send. I've stuck with stock Samsung for now until there's an app that works for me on my Galaxy S4 (well now S5)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Fenix, a new Twitter client, is now out. I've been beta testing it, and I like it because it's fast and simple. I'd been using Falcon Pro, but that started to slow down and crash a lot.

[Hands-On] Fenix Is A Promising New Twitter Client With Lots Of #HOLOYOLO

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
People still use Twitter?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's much better than Facebook.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

It's much better than Facebook.

Aren't they're entirely different things, though?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

dik-dik posted:

Aren't they're entirely different things, though?

Not really. They're both social networking.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Kheldarn posted:

Not really. They're both social networking.

Yes really. That's like saying a razor scooter is the same as a 747 because they both take people from point A to point B.

In other news, holy hell Facebook made it a pain in the rear end to view your timeline in order. It's now buried under the right hand tab half way down and as far as I can tell it can't be set as a default.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

In other news, holy hell Facebook made it a pain in the rear end to view your timeline in order. It's now buried under the right hand tab half way down and as far as I can tell it can't be set as a default.

I don't even have that. Every screenshot I've seen on the internet (including your description) says I should have a "Feeds" subsection. I don't though, I have a "Friends" subsection and am given no option to sort my timeline in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

bull3964 posted:

I don't even have that. Every screenshot I've seen on the internet (including your description) says I should have a "Feeds" subsection. I don't though, I have a "Friends" subsection and am given no option to sort my timeline in order.

This happened to me for a day or two after updating it to 8.0.0.26.24. Something jump starts the app into pulling the new interface from Facebook. You could try clearing the FB app data to.

• Locked thread