Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

blinkyzero posted:

I can arrange that for you but your destination will be a bathtub full of ice with a phone next to it.

Have you seen the Hong Kong psychological thriller film Koma?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

caberham posted:

But back then I had a game boy and 12 pack of nickel cadmium batteries for my game boy. Monochrome tetris was the bomb for air travel.

Uh this is still the bomb for air travel.

Also, courtesy of the NSA, expect to have a nice chat with Homeland Security during your next trip to the States by virtue of including "air travel" and "bomb" in the same sentence online.

Annnnnnnnnnd now I too can expect a cavity search. Great.

MeramJert posted:

Have you seen the Hong Kong psychological thriller film Koma?

That is totally not the correct way to spell coma.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

But it's a "good" movie if you like horrible thrillers with multiple twists. It was a favorite of ours in college,

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
The Jacksonville airport has a giant American flag that says "9/11/2001 "NEVER FORGET" " plastered onto it in giant text at the back of the security checkpoint. Yes "Never Forget" is in quotations for no reason. It makes me rage out every time I see it; it's like they want to pander to you as you take your belt and shoes off for no reason and hope you are dumb enough to think that it's for a noble purpose or something. Taking my loving belt off, yeah I'm preventing the next 9/11 right here god bless America.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

:airquote: NEVER FORGET :airquote:

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

systran posted:

The Jacksonville airport has a giant American flag that says "9/11/2001 "NEVER FORGET" " plastered onto it in giant text at the back of the security checkpoint. Yes "Never Forget" is in quotations for no reason. It makes me rage out every time I see it; it's like they want to pander to you as you take your belt and shoes off for no reason and hope you are dumb enough to think that it's for a noble purpose or something. Taking my loving belt off, yeah I'm preventing the next 9/11 right here god bless America.

When people or signs get in my face and remind me to be patriotic, it thoroughly offends my sense of patriotism.

I'm serious. I'm as diehard an American homer as you could hope (or dread) to find, but I hate all these signs and bumper stickers and crap. That's not patriotism. You're right -- it's just a pathetic form of manipulation.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Systran I want to go to the homeland of all the goon nomads of the world: Florida!

MeramJert posted:

But it's a "good" movie if you like horrible thrillers with multiple twists. It was a favorite of ours in college,

Bruce Law is a decent director. His more recent one, the disappearing bullet was another horror as well.

The only horrible non horror film he directed was bug me not.

Inner Senses and Men Suddenly in Black are great films from early 2000.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

blinkyzero posted:

When people or signs get in my face and remind me to be patriotic, it thoroughly offends my sense of patriotism.

I'm serious. I'm as diehard an American homer as you could hope (or dread) to find, but I hate all these signs and bumper stickers and crap. That's not patriotism. You're right -- it's just a pathetic form of manipulation.

Chinese people keep asking me about this ranch thing in Nevada but I didn't even hear about it! I'm a really bad american!!!!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

Systran I want to go to the homeland of all the goon nomads of the world: Florida!

Bruce Law is a decent director. His more recent one, the disappearing bullet was another horror as well.

The only horrible non horror film he directed was bug me not.

Inner Senses and Men Suddenly in Black are great films from early 2000.

I went through a big Hong Kong horror/comedy (they're basically the same genre in Hong Kong) movie phase for about 6 months in college. Angelica Lee is my favorite :swoon:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Hey blinky are you still moving to Denver? I had my interview there on Friday and it went well... I should know any day now if I got the job or not. The city is loving beautiful and I'm going to be heartbroken if I didn't get the job. There is like a bikepath recessed under street level with a charming stream and a bunch of cherry blossom trees right next to the campus buildings.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

systran posted:

Hey blinky are you still moving to Denver? I had my interview there on Friday and it went well... I should know any day now if I got the job or not. The city is loving beautiful and I'm going to be heartbroken if I didn't get the job. There is like a bikepath recessed under street level with a charming stream and a bunch of cherry blossom trees right next to the campus buildings.

We are indeed moving to Denver. We'll be out there by mid-August at the latest so fearcotton can start her grad courses at UDenver. I meant to ask you how the job interview went -- hope you got it! We can start an ex-China goon colony out there in the shadows of the Rockies.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

blinkyzero posted:

We are indeed moving to Denver. We'll be out there by mid-August at the latest so fearcotton can start her grad courses at UDenver. I meant to ask you how the job interview went -- hope you got it! We can start an ex-China goon colony out there in the shadows of the Rockies.

Truavatar and his laopo (that's wife) is in Denver. They spent a year in Shanghai. Originally I was going to visit my cousin in Denver during 2015 Chinese New year, but my family might steer me into a Sydney trip.

I might visit my beloved Oz ex china goons, so we will see!

Man I want to start a Eastern China goon group in LinkedIn. Not just the general Stair Master's group.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

blinkyzero posted:

They have a ESL academy there that you could probably apply for a job at.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

systran posted:

They have a ESL academy there that you could probably apply for a job at.

Yeah, the Korbel School guy that fearcotton talked to actually mentioned that, I think. I won't be a student at first, but if she really likes UDenver and Korbel, I'll probably apply. Both of us want to continue working in China and Asia, but probably not in education.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So what are your ideas for the post HAPPY ENGLISH TIME WROLD

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

So what are your ideas for the post HAPPY ENGLISH TIME WROLD

Fearcotton wants to work with charities/NGOs that focus on sex trafficking and/or the rights of domestic workers. I'm going to write a book and get rich so I can continue to spend most of my day shitposting on SA. Or more likely go into IR like fearcotton with a focus on East-West geopolitics or do modern Chinese history...and continue shitposting on SA, naturally.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

:eyepop: They have charities that do sex trafficking?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

MeramJert posted:

:eyepop: They have charities that do sex trafficking?

:henget:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I am mystified by the latest addition to our emojicon.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

I thought about trying to make a witty link between sex trafficking and road safety in China and now I just want sexjam. Sexjam is probably gay slang for semen mixed with sherbert though.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Actually I think it's what happens during really long Beijing traffic jams (i.e. all of them).

The pros could probably make a lot of money just working the sidewalks de facto passing lane.

edit: actually I guess the pros already make a lot of money working the sidewalks, traffic jam or not.

blinkyzero fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 16, 2014

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I've been having a poo poo ton of internet problems as of late, mostly DNS related both on and off my VPN.

The two errors I get are 'DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN' and 'DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG'

I assume this is having to do with the GFW interfering somehow. I've tried using my ISP's DNS (hah), google DNS, and open DNS. It's only started within the last few weeks, anyone else running into problems?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Aero737 posted:

I've been having a poo poo ton of internet problems as of late, mostly DNS related both on and off my VPN.

The two errors I get are 'DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN' and 'DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG'

I assume this is having to do with the GFW interfering somehow. I've tried using my ISP's DNS (hah), google DNS, and open DNS. It's only started within the last few weeks, anyone else running into problems?

Is this just on your computer? Have you tried another device on the same network?

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Aero737 posted:

Same here, primarily within the last few weeks too. China Unicom ADSL here. Probably because we live in the same traffic-shaping, DNS poisoning, censoring authoritarian country.

I've tried the same solutions you've implemented, and more, without any luck. Our problems are happening too upstream from us to do anything about it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Have you tried pouring hot water on it?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Woodsy Owl posted:

Same here, primarily within the last few weeks too. China Unicom ADSL here. Probably because we live in the same traffic-shaping, DNS poisoning, censoring authoritarian country.

I've tried the same solutions you've implemented, and more, without any luck. Our problems are happening too upstream from us to do anything about it.

China Telecom here in Dongguan. Now that you mention it, DNS has been more terrible than it usually is this past week or so. Peak hours have been total dogshit.

I've always been curious about the ISP situation in China. How crooked is it? Do they usually just do whatever filtering and DNS fuckery the government tells them to, or do they collect a little extra for 'accidentally' dropping certain types of traffic or 'forgetting' certain IP addresses?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

They don't have to do poo poo if the government controls the internet exchanges. Which they do.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

We've had a terrible time the last three weeks with China Telecom here in Yuyao. lovely connections to anything outside of the country and sporadic at best connections to VPN servers, regardless of protocol -- OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP, you name it. All of this magically became a non-issue when I decided on a lark to try connecting through loving Luxembourg. I can ping HK and Singapore and Tokyo at like 60ms but when I connect I drop 9 out of 10 packets (when I can connect at all), but somehow a tiny European country moves my traffic faster than laduzi through the greased innards of a stretched-out goose. Norway has also been really reliable.

I don't get it, but it's been working wonders.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

blinkyzero posted:

We've had a terrible time the last three weeks with China Telecom here in Yuyao. lovely connections to anything outside of the country and sporadic at best connections to VPN servers, regardless of protocol -- OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP, you name it. All of this magically became a non-issue when I decided on a lark to try connecting through loving Luxembourg. I can ping HK and Singapore and Tokyo at like 60ms but when I connect I drop 9 out of 10 packets (when I can connect at all), but somehow a tiny European country moves my traffic faster than laduzi through the greased innards of a stretched-out goose. Norway has also been really reliable.

I don't get it, but it's been working wonders.
Look on the bright side, at least this time an inconsistently enforced policy in China has worked in your favor! :v:

Until the government decides another portion of foreign internet needs to be a pain in the rear end to access, that is.

God, I'm such a loving goon. Of all the things to elicit a whiny expat rant from me, it's internet access that does it. :smithicide:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I was raging against China internet last weekend, then I switched the brand new ethernet cable on my router to my old ratty rear end one and the problem disappeared. As lovely as the internet is here it's not always the internet here.

GoAgent still working fine for me but it's loving up https for certain sites so I have to log out of my google account every time I go to youtube. :qq: :firstworldproblems:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Tupperwarez posted:

Look on the bright side, at least this time an inconsistently enforced policy in China has worked in your favor! :v:

Until the government decides another portion of foreign internet needs to be a pain in the rear end to access, that is.

God, I'm such a loving goon. Of all the things to elicit a whiny expat rant from me, it's internet access that does it. :smithicide:

Can I rage about mobile data plans? If you are at the hk border, then a 50 rmb , 5 gb data only card costs 120hkd.

Ugh

Traveler
Sep 13, 2006

caberham posted:

Can I rage about mobile data plans? If you are at the hk border, then a 50 rmb , 5 gb data only card costs 120hkd.

Ugh

One country, two systems.:cheers:

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
So is anyone in China talking about the whole Russia-Ukraine thing? I'm guessing no since it's not related to China at all.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yes I've heard a person talking about it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I told my wife about it in these words:

"Since Crimea was part of Russia many decades ago, Russia is claiming that they are liberating Crimea since it has historically belonged to them."

She said, "Wow, Russia is so terrible."

IRONNNYYYYY

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cuatal posted:

So is anyone in China talking about the whole Russia-Ukraine thing? I'm guessing no since it's not related to China at all.

I've tried talking about it with some people but no one really gives a poo poo because of ^^that reasoning^^, maybe I'm not hanging out with the right people.

Bring up Xinjiang though and watch the fireworks go off lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

systran posted:

I told my wife about it in these words:

"Since Crimea was part of Russia many decades ago, Russia is claiming that they are liberating Crimea since it has historically belonged to them."

She said, "Wow, Russia is so terrible."

IRONNNYYYYY

Also this made me laugh

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
My boss brought that up around me. He seemed to feel that Ukraine should be a part of russia because Slavs are all one big family (he actually said 家). He also felt that the Celtic nations should all be one big country separate from England. He's really surprisingly well-versed in European history, but he draws the strangest conclusions from it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Why doesn't anyone ask what I think about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Meramjert, what do you think of the situation in Crimea?