Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

greatn posted:

The GBA one has better tracks and graphics and probably better racing mechanics.

There's three GBA ones (Maximum Velocity, GP Legend, Climax)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Agatsuma Entertainment has confirmed a PAL release for Sayonara Umihara Kawase (Yumi's Odd Odyssey), it'll be out next Thursday.
So did that game end up being any good when it came out in America?
All I know of Umihara Kawase is from the episode of Game Center CX the original was in and it looked pretty cool in that, but I don't know how the sequel ended up and if it was worth the price.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I love the game but feel that most gamers would find it to be a mixed bag especially at 30 bucks.

At its best the game is extremely fun with a strong grasp on progression. It's satisfying to beat a level alone but, the game really grows along with the player. The collectible backpacks become 1ups in survival mode (provided you can finish level). That impossible jump in level 8 leads to a secret door. By the way, you can shave several seconds off your time by flinging Yumi over the spikes rather than jumping them.

The graphics never quite win you over but the general aesthetic is really engaging. The music is solid too provided you like moody SNES soundtracks.

The interface is abysmal, which is a shame given that the game offers several extra features from unlockables to leaderboards. Every death forces you back to the level select screen which seems irrational in such a difficult game. The "anime" can be safely ignored once past the title screen.

At it's worst, the game feels like a battle of mechanics. The swing physics can be ambiguous. Certain stages especially the bosses are completely taxing and unfun. Stage design while initially engaging seems to decline as the game progresses. Worse yet are difficulty spikes on what seems to be very simple stages. I died 500 times on a stage that is nothing more than five trampolines in a row. I then proceed to pass the next 5 levels without dying once.

Played about 22 hours and looking to play a lot more.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
VC games hitting Japan next week include the weird SFC remake of Rondo of Blood (Wii U), Mega Man 5 (Wii U) and Final Fantasy 3 (3DS), among others.

Japan is also getting 3D Outrun next week! The hub site is up, here are the details:

http://archives.sega.jp/3d/outrun/

-Records times for each individual checkpoint and each path
-Mid-game save state
-Replay recording and play back with slow-mo/double-speed functionality
-Move with the circle pad, d-pad or touch screen
-Button config for accelerate/brake/gear
-Three different gear-shift settings: switch (gears cycle with each press of the button), hold (switch gears manually with the button held down) and automatic
-Dipswitches for difficulty and time added by checkpoints
-Switch between Japanese and International version (the courses differ slightly between versions)
-Toggle the speedometer to display in miles or kilometres
-Four screen settings: original 4:3, optimised 16:9, full-screen, arcade cabinet mode
-Virtual cabinet mods include the Standard and Deluxe variants, which both feature the moving/tilting screen effect, as well as the Upright cab variant which is stationary
-Sound test with equaliser, volume settings for music/sfx, a separate volume setting for the engine sfx and a toggle for the virtual cabinet/arcade sfx
-Two new songs added to the BGM! One's by Manabu Namiki, one's by Chibi-Tech

There's still more info to be revealed about the game's new arrange mode, but it sounds like they added a new vehicle and some sort of car customisation mode? The screens show a palette toggle for your car, but I think it's meant to be a little deeper than that. They've started holding back on this sort of info for post-release, but it won't be long before we know what's up.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 16, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Like, the Japanese FFIII? On 3DS? Did they get it on Wii before?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Like, the Japanese FFIII? On 3DS? Did they get it on Wii before?

Sure did, like a month after FF2 and a month before FF4. Final Fantasy 3 isn't any kind of deal over there the way it is in the west.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Another VC classification: Xtreme Sports, the GBC game from WayFoward.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Does AA: Dual Destinies ever go on sale?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It went on sale once in PAL-land, can't remember if it's ever gone on sale in NA.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I figured as much. Thanks for the wonderful thread!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
About what time should I expect Mario 3 to go on sale tomorrow?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Around 12PM EST.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of April 17):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    My Exotic Farm - €4.99 / £4.49 or €3.49 / £3.14 for owners of My Farm
    My Farm - €4.99 / £4.49 (permanent price reduction)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    F-ZERO: Maximum Velocity (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.29
    Golden Sun (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.29
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mario Kart 8/Super Mario Kart digital promotion - buy Super Mario Kart on the VC, get a €7.99 / £5.49 discount on Mario Kart 8! Starts May 30, ends June 30.
    TNT Racers - Nitro Machines Edition (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until April 24
    Disney Epic Mickey 2; The Power of Two (Wii U) - €17.49 / £14.99 until April 24
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Wii U eShop) - €8.99 / £7.7 until April 24

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Mario Golf World Tour (demo)
    Etrian Odyssey Untold; Millennium Girl (demo)
3DS eSHOP
    Nintendo Pocket Football Club - €14.99 / £13.49
    Putty Squad - €19.99 / £17.99
    Tiny Games: Knights & Dragons - €2.99 / £2.49
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Mario Golf World Tour on the eShop, get Mario Golf (GBC) for free! (promo runs from May 2-29)
    Nintendo Pocket Football Club (3DS eShop) - €11.99 / £10.79 until May 1
    Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until April 24
    4 Elements (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until May 8
    Jewel Quest Mysteries 3: The Seventh Gate (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until May 8
    Jewel Quest 4 Heritage (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until May 8
    Luxor (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until May 8
    Secret Mysteries in London (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until May 8

NA update (week of April 17):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    LEGO The Hobbit - $49.99 (April 22)
    Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - $39.99 (permanent price reduction)
    ZombiU - $29.99[/u] (permanent price reduction)
    WII U eSHOP
    [LIST]
    Flowerworks HD: Follie's Adventure - $6.00
    My First Songs - $9.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    F-ZERO: Maximum Velocity (GBA) - $6.99
    Golden Sun (GBA) - $7.99
    Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Flowerworks HD: Follie's Adventure (Wii U) - $3.50 until March 15

3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Bit Boy!! ARCADE - $7.99
    Smash Cat Heroes - $3.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) - $4.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Chain Blaster (3DS eShop) - $2.99 until April 27
    Crazy Construction (3DS eShop) - $2.99 until April 27
    Escape from Zombie City (3DS eShop) - $1.99 until April 27
    Jump Trials Supreme (3DS eShop) - $2.99 until April 27
    Undead Bowling (3DS eShop) - $2.99 until April 27
    Classic Games Overload: Card & Puzzle Edition (3DS) - $14.99 until May 1
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Art Academy: First Semester (DSiWare) - 200 Coins, available until May 11
    Mario Golf (Wii VC) - 250 Coins, available until May 11
    Super Mario World (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until May 11
    Trajectile (DSiWare) - [i]200 Coins, available until May 11

NA finally got SMB3. Good for you.

PAL dudes, note the introductory price on Nintendo Pocket Football Club; there's a discount if you buy in the first two weeks.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Ugh, why didn't the US get the Mario Golf demo?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh yeah, Mario Golf demo was confirmed for next week in NA.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Jesus, about loving time they dropped the price on ZombiU. I've had a couple friends who were interested in it but refused to drop full price, and as much as I love the game, I don't blame them.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Artix posted:

Jesus, about loving time they dropped the price on ZombiU. I've had a couple friends who were interested in it but refused to drop full price, and as much as I love the game, I don't blame them.

You can usually buy it for less than 20 bucks on Amazon and stuff. Unless your friends only buy games digitally.

Oh yeah, Mario Golf demo was confirmed for next week in NA.

Weird, oh well. I can wait a week I guess.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh hey, Nicalis just announced that Cave Story+ will finally be out on the 3DS eShop on May 1. Only took, what 18 months?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Oh hey, Nicalis just announced that Cave Story+ will finally be out on the 3DS eShop on May 1. Only took, what 18 months?

Speaking of, when did CS3D go crazy bonkers expensive? Guess I'm glad I got mine when I did.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Is this for PAL too? We haven't even got the original version on the eshop over here.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

what does the + version add over the version that I already paid like :10bux: for on the eshop

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Xik posted:

Is this for PAL too? We haven't even got the original version on the eshop over here.

It's in the 'Coming Soon' section of the EU shop right now.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot

Awesome! posted:

what does the + version add over the version that I already paid like :10bux: for on the eshop

Cave Story+ also has optional new sprites, a couple different soundtrack choices, and an extra challenge mode, I think that's it. I think this is just what NA already has coming out in Europe, though; it would be very strange to put it out as a separate release here, since our current version already has most of the things Cave Story+ added.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I'm really enjoying F-Zero Maximum Velocity, I still love mode7 racers and this is one of the best.
It would be amazing if you could use the gamepad and the TV as two separate GBAs for multiplayer..

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Was Cave Story 3D any good? I want Cave Story on my 3DS but already have + on Steam.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot

SeANMcBAY posted:

Was Cave Story 3D any good? I want Cave Story on my 3DS but already have + on Steam.

It was really ugly, had new music that a lot of people don't care for (and no option to use the original), and had a lot less extras than the $10 version. It's out of print and kind of rare I think, so it's sort of expensive now.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Sakurazuka posted:

It's in the 'Coming Soon' section of the EU shop right now.

I can't see any "Coming Soon" section in the shop here but I just searched for Cave Story and found it with a release date of May 1st like was previously stated. So that's good.

I'm probably like the only person that has never played any version of it.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Is there any reason to get F-Zero SNES instead of Maximum Velocity?

You're better off not getting either and waiting for the N64/Gamecube VC's to get up and running. 1 and MV really suck compared to X and GX.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I think all F-Zero games are pretty great and worth getting.
Between SNES and GBA I would pick the GBA games, smoother graphics, better control, better music, more tracks, more vehicles, etc.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

You could get the DSiWare version.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Do we got any data on how Inazuma Eleven did? Apparently the Yugioh ZeXal game could be coming out and I want to back my gut feeling that it'll be an eShop game.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I'm used to Steam/PSN where if I'm patient enough the game I want will generally go on sale in a few months time. Can the same be said for titles exclusively on the eShop or would I be waiting for something not likely to happen?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Is Castlevania 3 any good?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Malt posted:

I'm used to Steam/PSN where if I'm patient enough the game I want will generally go on sale in a few months time. Can the same be said for titles exclusively on the eShop or would I be waiting for something not likely to happen?

I think sales are getting a little more common but nothing close to the scale of Steam or PSN, and first party titles are barely ever on sale. It kind of sucks but games like Link Between Worlds and Mario Kart are pretty much never going to go down in price since they'll sell anyways.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

alf_pogs posted:

Short answer: Yes.

Slightly longer answer: Yes, but the Japanese version is even better.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Xik posted:

Oops, let me clarify: Cave Story+ is the pixel version, which has been out in NA for over 18 months but is now finally coming to Europe (and maybe Australia, but who knows, it's a Nicalis job. (The "+" denotes extra content from the Steam version).

The polygonal 3D remake isn't on either eShop, although Nicalis did say it would be, so I guess you can expect it around 2018.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

alf_pogs posted:

Probably one of the best NES platformers, and certainly one of the hardest.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA dudes, Target is doing 10% off eShop credit right now - not much of a discount, but better than nothing:

http://www.target.com/c/pre-paid-game-cards-video-games/-/N-5xtfh#?lnk=bnav_t_spc_3_0

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Oops, let me clarify: Cave Story+ is the pixel version, which has been out in NA for over 18 months but is now finally coming to Europe (and maybe Australia, but who knows, it's a Nicalis job. (The "+" denotes extra content from the Steam version).

The polygonal 3D remake isn't on either eShop, although Nicalis did say it would be, so I guess you can expect it around 2018.

Yeah I was originally confused about the different versions but after looking it up on the eshop it became clear. I'm glad we are actually getting the version with the charming pixel art because the screenshots from the 3D one look like rear end.

I mentioned it before but the crazy thing about the 3D version is that it is actually on the eshop here, it just says that it can't be purchased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

You could get the DSiWare version.

Unless you're in Europe. gently caress Nicalis.