Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
In Mandarin it's "Su Zui"...there is no "-k" final in Mandarin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

systran posted:

In Mandarin it's "Su Zui"...there is no "-k" final in Mandarin.

Thanks.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Thank god you corrected that! What a terrible faux pas might have occurred!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The business itself doesn't necessarily sound scammy (though it could be) but I'm a bit taken aback that they didn't bring up the matter of compensation and hours when they made you a job offer. Do not commit to anything without getting this stuff in writing.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Congrats, Benny! Do the poo poo out of therapy. It will help and it will provide you with enough building material to not get fired or gently caress up as much. (And when you do gently caress up, you'll hopefully be directly aware of the how/what/when/why it happened.)

The way I see it: as long as you don't give the call center any of your money, it's legit. Even if it is a scam, you have nothing to lose but time.

Just Google the name of the call center and you'll get your answer.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

I feel incredibly blessed to not only have a job, but one that works towards my volunteer experience and degree.

What does this even mean? Isn't the job moving boxes or something?

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Darth123123 posted:

I don't think Benny even knows what he means anymore.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Darth123123 posted:

Data entry, sounds like.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Darth123123 posted:

I said earlier that it's a data entry position

April
Jul 3, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

Please tell me you're planning to proofread the info you enter as you do it.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

April posted:

Please tell me you're planning to proofread the info you enter as you do it.
Of course I will. I also have two main questions I'm going to ask my manager today at the orientation: what are the pay and benefits, and will I come into contact with our Chinese partners. I'm a monolingual speaker, so it'd be all but impossible for us to communicate. And it doesn't help that Chinese has two different dialects which are languages unto themselves. I am not, however, against learning Mandarin or Cantonese. One of the things I took away from my language acquisition is that language development becomes more difficult the older a person becomes. That and there are two main reasons why adults learn a second language: employment or love. A new job is a good motivator for me to learn a second language.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm a monolingual speaker, so it'd be all but impossible for us to communicate.

That's the Benny I remember :allears:

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
You do realize that if there are "Chinese partners" you're expected to have contact with, they will undoubtedly know english, right?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Let me help you with some answers: You will not be getting benefits. You will not be required (or able to) learn Cantonese or Mandarin.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

Of course I will. I also have two main questions I'm going to ask my manager today at the orientation: what are the pay and benefits, and will I come into contact with our Chinese partners. I'm a monolingual speaker, so it'd be all but impossible for us to communicate. And it doesn't help that Chinese has two different dialects which are languages unto themselves. I am not, however, against learning Mandarin or Cantonese. One of the things I took away from my language acquisition is that language development becomes more difficult the older a person becomes. That and there are two main reasons why adults learn a second language: employment or love. A new job is a good motivator for me to learn a second language.

If they expected you to be multilingual it would have come up during the interview. (If they do, and it didn't, then that's a worrying sign, not about you, but about them.)

You almost certainly won't need to worry about this for a data entry job, though.

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(

Benny the Snake posted:

How does data entry work toward you English degree? Also you already finish the degree, you're not working towards it with anything.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Are data entry jobs scarce in your neck of the woods, Benny? Because that sounds like the perfect fit for you: entry level, not a lot of executive functioning required (usually), a comfortable office environment... I'm a little surprised it took you until just now to land one. (Though I've noticed as time goes on employers have been masquerading call-taking jobs as "data entry" in a bait-and-switch way, so who knows how this will actually turn out)

Re: the job possibly being some kind of scam, I say even if it's a shady outfit I don't think it's likely they're going to scam Benny, and unless he directly sees something truly heinous (like child labor, etc.) I don't think Benny would be in a position to leave just on moral grounds anyway. If it's an MLM or something but your position is otherwise okay, just do your work, take their money, and then use it as a stepping stone to better yourself and eventually pay it forward.

One more thing: although you're entitled to pat yourself on the back for getting this far and getting a job offer considering what you've been through, I've learned to not consider myself officially having a job until I've signed the tax documents. Hopefully this is what they'll have you do at the orientation (the fact that there is an orientation in the first place is a good sign that they're legit). Although it's no contract, signing a W4 is always the sign that I can feel comfortable assuming I really, really, have the job since I'm officially documented with the IRS and all that.

(Also, don't work a single second before they give you those docs, if they don't give you a W4 to fill out that's your sign that the place is a scam. In fact, if they give you a 1099 to fill out that's probably a sign they're a scam, too, but they'll probably at least pay you for your work).

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

Benny, you are such a loving dumbass.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Benny the Snake posted:

Whisper some more spergy facts you've memorized into my ear you manly man.

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
Don't ask them any dumb poo poo about Chinese (although feel free to mention that you're enthusiastic about working w/ people from different language/cultural backgrounds). Ask them about your pay and hours, if anyone seems to find it weird that you didn't ask previously then just laugh it off. Try not to overthink things. Don't gently caress this up Benny!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Benny doesn't realize that his dick is caught in his zipper until someone else tells him so.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Benny the Snake posted:

One of the things I took away from my language acquisition is that language development becomes more difficult the older a person becomes.

What do you mean by 'language acquisition' here?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

lizardman posted:

What do you mean by 'language acquisition' here?
It was a required course on how a person learns language from birth through adulthood.

And my manager called me to re-schedule the orientation to tomorrow because the machines are down.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Benny, they loving by Chinese trash and re-sell it to Americans. You're not gonna be learning Chinese or traveling to exotic lands.

cname fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 17, 2014

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Benny the Snake posted:

And my manager called me to re-schedule the orientation to tomorrow because the machines are down.

This is going to be a good fit for you :)

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

crabrock posted:

This is going to be a good fit for you :)

Sorry, you can't get your orientation today, our machines are all hung over.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
Most educated Chinese will have a working understanding of English, so don't worry too much about that.

Also, try not to bring up Taiwan or Tienanmen Square.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Pfirti86 posted:

Most educated Chinese will have a working understanding of English, so don't worry too much about that.

Also, try not to bring up Taiwan or Tienanmen Square.

Don't mention Tienanmen Square? Well now you've done it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Benny, if it is a scam, don't let you talk yourself into staying because 'it's a job at least.' I mean, if they're scamming someone else and you're fine with it, fine. But if it's MLM or entirely commission-based (doubtful since it's data entry, unless they're purposefully misusing that term) get out of there.

Good luck, dude. You're a total dumbass sometimes but you can grow out of that, and therapy will help you do so faster.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief cart!
Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
He stopped reading the thread so he missed the song... someone relink it for him

Priestess Cashmere
Oct 9, 2012

Yikesaroo

Benny the Snake posted:

loving lol

What did the letter of offer say about your rate-- ahaha oh never mind

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

systran posted:

He stopped reading the thread so he missed the song... someone relink it for him
No, I heard about it. I gotta say, Le Mis is a good inspiration.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
When you hear something like that song do you think "oh man, I really need to get my poo poo together," or do you just forget about it until someone brings it up?

I don't even know why I'm asking. Still, hope the job works out. I honestly do.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Priestess Cashmere posted:

loving lol

What did the letter of offer say about your rate-- ahaha oh never mind

lovely jobs hourly don't come with offer letters. There's plenty to make fun of Benny for without reaching like this.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Let's take a second to congratulate an adult for getting hired to a no experience necessary job after essentially a lifetime of unemployment.

Yea, loving great Benny, maybe you'll keep this one longer than a week.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

OK. How does this 'work toward' your volunteer position at a library or you degree that you have already? You won't answer, so. please keep going to work as we need stories of boxes crashing down on your card table/data entry station.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Benny the Snake posted:

This is just precious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Benny, why did you feel the need to explain how the Chinese language works to the thread?

Do you think we don't know this? Or that it makes you sound worldly?

• Locked thread