Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
nm.

the fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I have a really stupid question: What would my generic position title be, for job-searching purposes? At my last job I was a "Petroleum Analyst" which is not very specific; I worked for an oil and gas company and formatted well production data into nicely formatted spreadsheets and imported that into an in-house database. From there I kept all the records up to date, ran reports using the database's tools, corrected the records as needed, etc. My guess would be "database analyst" but my Googling makes that title sound much more technical than what I did - coding, etc, I have no computer science background other than a couple of classes that I did awfully in.

So... what would you call me?

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 17, 2014

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

drat Bananas posted:

I have a really stupid question: What would my generic position title be, for job-searching purposes? At my last job I was a "Petroleum Analyst" which is not very specific; I worked for an oil and gas company and formatted well production data into nicely formatted spreadsheets and imported that into an in-house database. From there I kept all the records up to date, ran reports using the database's tools, corrected the records as needed, etc. My guess would be "database analyst" but my Googling makes that title sound much more technical than what I did - coding, etc, I have no computer science background other than a couple of classes that I did awfully in.

So... what would you call me?
That's a perfectly fine to use and you're way overthinking this. That's actually a pretty cool sounding title that might get you a second glance where just "Analyst" might not get a second glance. Although since I work in a chemistry lab my first though is you were running analytical tests on petroleum. Of course none of that matters since your resume will describe your accomplishments and what you actually did much more that the actual job title which can often be incredibly misleading :)

Now if you were a Project Manager I might think of switching it up just for search engine purposes. I swear 50% of people I work with are Project Managers and they all do completely different poo poo.

Generally though, it's not a great idea to change your "official" HR stamped job title. But that's OK because your resume and cover letter matter much more!

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So I had a follow-up online questionaire thing for this technical job I'm applying for.

It was 3 parts. The first part was a series of questions that asked how I felt about corporate culture and I ranked my preference.

The second part was a matching game where I was quickly shown 12 images and I had to rank them in the order they appeared.

The third part was a series of different mathematical questions. Things like rations, conversions, distances, etc. In this section it was split into 3 parts. 5 questions each part. I had 3 minutes to do 5 questions. On the second part of that, I was on the third question and I got stuck, probably some stupid conversion I was overlooking. I then realized I had 10 seconds left to complete that section. I quickly answered that one but time ran out. So I may have gotten 2/5 or 3/5 on that section. Am I totally screwed for this job? :smith:

edit: Also, could I possibly email the recruiter, letting them know I completed the test and I was excited about meeting them, and possibly explaining to them what happened?

the fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 17, 2014

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

seacat posted:

That's a perfectly fine to use and you're way overthinking this. That's actually a pretty cool sounding title that might get you a second glance where just "Analyst" might not get a second glance. Although since I work in a chemistry lab my first though is you were running analytical tests on petroleum. Of course none of that matters since your resume will describe your accomplishments and what you actually did much more that the actual job title which can often be incredibly misleading :)

Now if you were a Project Manager I might think of switching it up just for search engine purposes. I swear 50% of people I work with are Project Managers and they all do completely different poo poo.

Generally though, it's not a great idea to change your "official" HR stamped job title. But that's OK because your resume and cover letter matter much more!

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I was going to change the title on my resume - I was more hoping to come up with better search terms to type into Monster etc to find similar positions for hire. Database updater? Database recordskeeper? I guess it is quite literally data entry, but it was a bit more complicated than the 10$/hr data entry jobs that come up when I search that phrase. :)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

drat Bananas posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I was going to change the title on my resume - I was more hoping to come up with better search terms to type into Monster etc to find similar positions for hire. Database updater? Database recordskeeper? I guess it is quite literally data entry, but it was a bit more complicated than the 10$/hr data entry jobs that come up when I search that phrase. :)

You're describing my exact predicament when searching for jobs online. I never know what to search for because I've never had a concrete idea of what it is I do. There needs to be a section of jobs called "Not an idiot" or something.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

drat Bananas posted:

Business analyst.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I have a question about work experience, one of my jobs had a main corporate office off in like the midwest, and the actual district office I got my orders from, which should I fill out on a resume/questionnaire when they ask?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

I have a question about work experience, one of my jobs had a main corporate office off in like the midwest, and the actual district office I got my orders from, which should I fill out on a resume/questionnaire when they ask?

The one where your manager works from, generally.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Bisty Q. posted:

The one where your manager works from, generally.

Ok, thanks a lot.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
I'm working my way through the thread this morning, and I had a quick question. What is the general consensus on omitting experience or "crafting" a resume? My wife has been actively seeking employment since graduating with a master's degree in the same field as her bachelors, and has consistently (sometimes inside of 24hrs) been rejected due to "overqualification" or not matching the "experience level required". She is very interested in a specific type of work, and more than happy to take a job with an undergrad/entry level payscale to start her career.

I have read articles about omitting direct references to an advanced degree, replacing it with something along the lines of "500 hours of additional professional training, including ..." But I have never personally known this to be effective. Any thoughts on this?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Diver Dick posted:

I'm working my way through the thread this morning, and I had a quick question. What is the general consensus on omitting experience or "crafting" a resume? My wife has been actively seeking employment since graduating with a master's degree in the same field as her bachelors, and has consistently (sometimes inside of 24hrs) been rejected due to "overqualification" or not matching the "experience level required". She is very interested in a specific type of work, and more than happy to take a job with an undergrad/entry level payscale to start her career.

I have read articles about omitting direct references to an advanced degree, replacing it with something along the lines of "500 hours of additional professional training, including ..." But I have never personally known this to be effective. Any thoughts on this?

A resume is a marketing document designed to get you an interview. It is not a complete account of every single thing you have ever done. Don't lie (e.g. extending dates of employment to cover up periods of unemployment, making jobs or qualifications that don't exist, etc), but you can omit anything you want that makes you a weaker candidate. If she thinks her master's degree is holding her back, take it off. However, she may will be asked to explain what she was doing during those years. That's where she will have to lie. Depending on the intensity of her background check they may discover she was in grad school those years. But honestly, that doesn't happen with most vanilla positions, they just check to see if you're a child molester/been locked in the insane asylum/etc.

We get resumes from desperate PhDs and masters grads for entry level lab tech positions all the time. I am not going to hire someone with a doctorate to take pH readings 80 times a day.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!

seacat posted:

If she thinks her master's degree is holding her back, take it off. However, she may will be asked to explain what she was doing during those years. That's where she will have to lie. Depending on the intensity of her background check they may discover she was in grad school those years. But honestly, that doesn't happen with most vanilla positions, they just check to see if you're a child molester/been locked in the insane asylum/etc.

I don't think I'd ever suggest someone lie. If someone asks about the gap, tell them that you were getting more education/training, but you didn't feel that it was relevant for the position.

I still have the copy of the background check they ran on me for the last entry level job that I applied to.
They validated my present employment - Employer, Title, and Salary
They validated my education - Schools, major, GPA
They checked my criminal history in all of the counties that I lived in
They checked to see that my social security number is valid

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Thanks for the advice. To be clear, I'm not suggesting that she lie on paper or in an interview. I'm just trying to reconcile the two types of rejection letters she seems to get: She has no job experience outside of graduate research (inexperienced/doesn't match experience requirements), but she is also going after jobs which only require a bachelor's degree (overqualified). It seems like she is stuck in this position. She was even passed over for a 3-month internship (which requested a 4yr degree) doing the same type of analysis she used in her graduate thesis.

I may suggest she tone down the next few applications if the position does not require or ask for education beyond a bachelor's.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 27, 2018

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

Currently going through an interview process with a company and I have to fill out a 1.5 - 2 hour assessment test by Apogee Business Group - http://apogeebg.com/

Does anyone have any experience with this? Seems like there are going to be math / word definition sections along with who knows what.

Psuedoscientific garbage plus a bad IQ test. Just answer how the stereotypical version of the person in the role you're applying for would behave. If you're applying for a sales job, answer all the questions like Dwight Schrute.

Bisty Q. fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 19, 2014

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Weird question. In cover letters, should I be capitalizing the position I'm writing about? E.g. "I'm interested in the Financial Analyst position..."

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Susical posted:

Weird question. In cover letters, should I be capitalizing the position I'm writing about? E.g. "I'm interested in the Financial Analyst position..."

Yes.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Susical posted:

Yes you should. It shows that you actually read the job posting at the very least and that you're not sending in a generic cover letter.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
I have a question about how to list certain technical skills that I have. I fairly regularly code in Python and use some pretty niche statistical packages in R, and these are things I think would be good to have on my CV. The problem is that listing Python and R under any kind of "proficiencies" section might be pushing it: I'm not an expert in either of these things, and any skill I have has been picked up on the fly for particular projects. I mean, my code always works and I've never encountered a problem I couldn't find a solution for, but I spend a lot of time on Google trying to figure things out, and a professional programmer would probably laugh at the final product.

Is it OK to qualify these skills with terms like "intermediate proficiency?" Should they just be left off? I'm not applying to any jobs where programming is a big part of what's expected, but those skills could nonetheless come in handy I think.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You're supposed to give some kind of evaluation like basic/proficient/expert anyway.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Big City Drinkin posted:

I have a question about how to list certain technical skills that I have. I fairly regularly code in Python and use some pretty niche statistical packages in R, and these are things I think would be good to have on my CV. The problem is that listing Python and R under any kind of "proficiencies" section might be pushing it: I'm not an expert in either of these things, and any skill I have has been picked up on the fly for particular projects. I mean, my code always works and I've never encountered a problem I couldn't find a solution for, but I spend a lot of time on Google trying to figure things out, and a professional programmer would probably laugh at the final product.

Is it OK to qualify these skills with terms like "intermediate proficiency?" Should they just be left off? I'm not applying to any jobs where programming is a big part of what's expected, but those skills could nonetheless come in handy I think.
My resume says "some Erlang, C#" and nobody's ever given me poo poo over that wording.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Cool, thanks guys. The last thing I want during an interview is a question about Python I can't answer.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Waiting on a company to respond after you've interviewed is literally the worst thing :smithicide:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have an interview tomorrow with for a sales job that pays good money, and is in a field I like (I've done medical sales before and I loved learning about the medicine side of it), but I'm getting suspicions it's the kind of job where they want work to be your #1 priority in life, and there's no way I can go for that. What's a good way to suss out the work-life balance without coming across as some sort of shiftless layabout? It's not like I don't work hard or anything, I just have strict boundaries in terms of not letting work take over other things.

the posted:

Waiting on a company to respond after you've interviewed is literally the worst thing :smithicide:

It took 6 weeks for one place to get back to me this year.

They said "yes" the day I started working at a place that paid half as much and barely uses my skills. :suicide:

megazord
Jul 16, 2001

the posted:

Going on 2 weeks now. I left a VM at the 1-week mark. Sent an email this afternoon.

My situation is I have one offer locked/accepted/starting-on-monday (Company A) and am hoping for Company B to call me back with a better offer. B is the better gig, with A coming in a close second. Whatever the answer I just NEED B to RESPOND so I can move on mentally/emotionally.

I think we could torture enemy spies by sending them on job interviews and withholding an answer until they give us their secrets.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I have a potential second interview coming up (done over Skype) for a food/beverage producing company. The role they would be hiring me for is to assess/solve some QA issues. I already have a very solid idea of how to address that issue, would it be too much for me to put together a few slides around how I would approach the issue and then center the second interview around my approach?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Jerome Louis posted:

I have a potential second interview coming up (done over Skype) for a food/beverage producing company. The role they would be hiring me for is to assess/solve some QA issues. I already have a very solid idea of how to address that issue, would it be too much for me to put together a few slides around how I would approach the issue and then center the second interview around my approach?

Have you ever worked in quality before and do you understand the function of QA in manufacturing (especially as compared to QC, most people tend to confuse the two)? You're already a few steps ahead by planning, you just gotta make sure you answer the right questions.

(I understand you can't reveal the issue specifically, maybe you could give some generalities that don't identify you. I've been working in quality for 5 years and hiring for 2).

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

seacat posted:

Have you ever worked in quality before and do you understand the function of QA in manufacturing (especially as compared to QC, most people tend to confuse the two)? You're already a few steps ahead by planning, you just gotta make sure you answer the right questions.

(I understand you can't reveal the issue specifically, maybe you could give some generalities that don't identify you. I've been working in quality for 5 years and hiring for 2).

It's actually a sensory role in their QA department -- I'd be developing methods for measuring sensory consistency between batches and factories

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Can anyone give some tips about dealing with headhunters?

I work in a highly sought-after field (mobile ad sales) and my boss is extremely well-connected.

How can I get offers from headhunters without pissing them off while being discrete?

megazord
Jul 16, 2001

jerichojx posted:

Can anyone give some tips about dealing with headhunters?

I work in a highly sought-after field (mobile ad sales) and my boss is extremely well-connected.

How can I get offers from headhunters without pissing them off while being discrete?

You won't have a problem talking to true low-level headhunters working for a search firm. Look at them as high-volume suppliers they probably don't know your boss.

Second, if you make it past the headhunter let the hiring person know it's confidential. If you are highly sought after, it's not in their best interest to piss off candidates. It works both ways too, people want to be known as trustworthy - how does that person know they'll never encounter you again. That and MOST people try to be decent human beings especially if they've been in your shoes and no doubt they have.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

megazord posted:

You won't have a problem talking to true low-level headhunters working for a search firm. Look at them as high-volume suppliers they probably don't know your boss.

Second, if you make it past the headhunter let the hiring person know it's confidential. If you are highly sought after, it's not in their best interest to piss off candidates. It works both ways too, people want to be known as trustworthy - how does that person know they'll never encounter you again. That and MOST people try to be decent human beings especially if they've been in your shoes and no doubt they have.

Yeah, this. When I interviewing places thinking about leaving my current job I found out how amazing it is that everybody knows each other. The headhunters didn't, but all the people I met with knew all the people I work for. Professional people understand discretion.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
How important is it that reference letters have a signature? Specifically, I will be applying for teaching positions. I have letters from both of my student teaching mentors, but neither of them are signed (as they just emailed them to me because I'm currently abroad). Almost all of the applications are entirely online, as well. Do I need to try to get signatures on these?

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

erobadapazzi posted:

How important is it that reference letters have a signature? Specifically, I will be applying for teaching positions. I have letters from both of my student teaching mentors, but neither of them are signed (as they just emailed them to me because I'm currently abroad). Almost all of the applications are entirely online, as well. Do I need to try to get signatures on these?

Education positions are funny like that. If you have the time to get them signed and scanned, do it. If not, I generally ask the referrer to electronically sign it:

quote:

Sincerely,

Sarcasmatron
(sent via email)

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 25, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Today I had a phone interview with Company X that went really well, and a group interview with Company Y that went really well. I'll know for sure tomorrow because that's when they'll both either ask to set up a 1-on-1 interview or send a rejection e-mail.

Both positions are in Sales, and Companies X and Y are in direct competition with one another. If all goes well and they both offer me a position I honestly have no idea which one I'll go with...there are good and bad things about both companies and they're kind of neck-and-neck at this point.

Obviously I have lots of questions to ask during both interviews, but would it be appropriate to tell each interviewer that I'm being courted by the other or is that tacky? I'd really like to know what they each have to say about one another and see if it helps me make up my mind. I could also see this information potentially being useful when negotiating pay, since one of them has offered me a figure and the other hasn't. What do I do?

EDIT: The field is something I'm completely unfamiliar with. I almost feel like I should decide which one has the better product since it stands to reason I'd sell more with them (they both offer uncapped commission)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You don't have a job with either until you're offered a job by either. An interview means absolutely nothing (although it is good!) and is not a guarantee of employment.

You do not have a duty to reveal anything about who else you are talking to in the hiring process. If you get offers from both, you can use that as leverage in negotiation; until then I wouldn't bring it up. It's like going on a first date with a girl and going "Oh by the way I'm going for coffee with your best friend from high school tomorrow!"

As to the product quality question, I don't know anything about that but I would be mostly concerned about each company's culture and compensation package.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Spoilers Below posted:

Looking over my old resume, it sucked, and sucked hard. Having been presented with a pretty nice opportunity I don't want to blow (old co-worker with an opening at her new place of work that I'm perfectly qualified for, in a city I wouldn't mind relocating to), there was little question to updating the resume and giving this the proper effort that is necessary.

That said, just because I tried to follow what the OP said, and what the books I checked out from the library said, I'm sure I didn't do it 100% perfect. I could I get a few more eyes on this?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1574fDYJCE2StT01wA5WXbL7Iq5ukyOlBdxT1RiTdLVY/edit?usp=sharing

In Open Office it all fits on one page, but doesn't in Google Docs for some reason, so I'm not too worried about that massive 3/4 blank page 2, especially once I pdf the final version.

Thanks so much!

Here is a very basic critique. Honestly, I would really think about some new formatting as well. You really need to get rid of those weird indentations. Hope this helps!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

FrozenVent posted:

You don't have a job with either until you're offered a job by either. An interview means absolutely nothing (although it is good!) and is not a guarantee of employment.

You do not have a duty to reveal anything about who else you are talking to in the hiring process. If you get offers from both, you can use that as leverage in negotiation; until then I wouldn't bring it up. It's like going on a first date with a girl and going "Oh by the way I'm going for coffee with your best friend from high school tomorrow!"

As to the product quality question, I don't know anything about that but I would be mostly concerned about each company's culture and compensation package.

Yeah I guess you're right, I'm getting a little ahead of myself. I need to focus on continuing to make a great impression during these follow-up interviews, assuming I'm even offered that opportunity. And I even thought about that dating analogy but wasn't sure if it was applicable to this kind of situation!

I'm definitely concerned with culture and compensation, but both companies have already passed that test in my eyes. Now I'm looking at salary, commission opportunities, schedule, distance from my house, CRM platforms used, etc, etc, etc. But like you said, I'll try not to think about it too much unless I get two phone calls today.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I applied for a job opportunity that would involve technical training for 6 months and then a position at the company.

A friend of mine did the same thing. There were multiple positions.

He has absolutely no work experience and no research experience and a Physics degree.

I have 5 years of work experience, research experience, and the same degree.

He made it through. I just got a rejection letter.

I don't even loving know anymore. WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU WANT FROM ME EMPLOYERS? WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU WANT? SOMEONE GIVE ME A loving JOB. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

DustingDuvet posted:

Here is a very basic critique. Honestly, I would really think about some new formatting as well. You really need to get rid of those weird indentations. Hope this helps!

You're awesome! Thanks so much!