Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Its me im the terrible user.

I have just managed to set my laptop on fire by not paying attention hurrah.

Turns out plugging a cable that looks like a network ethernet cable and is plugged into a desk phone into a laptop without checking really carfully causes fire. :smith:

How in the hell?

By "desk phone" do you mean "mains power"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Raymn posted:

I was just wondering to myself if there was a way set this through CLI since that would be the easiest but I doubt I can. Thanks again for your help!

Yeah that's what got me looking. You could probably do everything through the CLI using nano and ssh but everything I found pointed towards editing plist files.

And Inspector_666 that's pretty much my experience. Sure your computer will get fixed but the Genius Bar is the definition of overkill. Loud fan? Oh let's replace the logic board and the hard drive and everything under the sun, you have data backups right?

I only send people/computers to the Apple Store if it requires significant hardware repair as we're not a self servicing shop yet.

*edit* Entropic he means VoIP phones that have a ethernet cable coming out of the back for a converged network. Our Avaya phones are like that.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Entropic posted:

How in the hell?

By "desk phone" do you mean "mains power"?

The digital desk phones we have in work use a Ethernet connector and go through the same patch panel. They draw their power from the exchange similarly to POE. That should be enough to blow up the ethernet port if you were to plug it in by mistake.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
e: Eh, I've never seen our POE devices do that. But I guess it could happen.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

jre posted:

The digital desk phones we have in work use a Ethernet connector and go through the same patch panel. They draw their power from the exchange similarly to POE. That should be enough to blow up the ethernet port if you were to plug it in by mistake.

That's hosed up. You'd think there would be some intelligence so that wouldn't happen.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

GreenNight posted:

That's hosed up. You'd think there would be some intelligence so that wouldn't happen.

It's an old style system that pre-dates proper converged ethernet / phones networks. The plugs on the phone aren't Ethernet but we use converters to share the wiring. Thankfully no-one has managed to use the wrong socket yet.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jre posted:

It's an old style system that pre-dates proper converged ethernet / phones networks. The plugs on the phone aren't Ethernet but we use converters to share the wiring. Thankfully no-one has managed to use the wrong socket yet.

Sounds like a safety hazard? I mean, couldn't that be considered a fire hazard?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
A datacenter went offline...

Apparently tweedle dee and tweedle dumbass went to the datacenter in order to perform work on our backup solution. At the exact time it would have taken them to get to the location, sign in and get to the rack we lose everything... and I mean everything. Client servers, Our remote support solutions, everything we need to perform business

"We did nothing"

Turns out the majority of our hosts somehow managed to poo poo the bed at once because they did "nothing"

Later we get a datacenter alarm saying power tripped 45 minutes after "nothing occured" and 5 minutes later cleared and a minute after that the tech onsite says (Paraphrasing) "Oh the power tripped"

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 17, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
And here I thought Etherkillers were a joke and not real equipment.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sickening posted:

Sounds like a safety hazard?

Possibly, I'm not sure if our setup would actually nuke an ethernet port or if the exchange can tell its not a phone plugged in , but just suggesting how it could have happened.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Yeah you pretty much naiped it. Desktops are set up so ethernet or whatever goes into phone then into desktop. Company too cheap to pay for wireless in all offices so if you use a laptop in a no wireless office you pull the ethernet out the phone and plug into laptop.

In places where you use a laptop a million times more than a phone like a meeting or conference room you usually see the cable sat next to the phone as the last guy didnt plug it back in the phone.

Someone has pinched the office\room I normally mooch in so I head down the hall and set up in the next free room. Plug in and turn on then get a coffee. By the time I get back we have smoke and start of melting.

Unplug it all and follow the cable turns out it comes from a box plugged into an extension chord. Why I have no idea we have a proper raised floor set up. Thats when I notice instead of a normal phone this room has some fancy conference phone.

Ooops. At least my it guys were understanding. Im sure im the subject of some wtf jokes wherever they blow off steam though.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So several emails and a call came in

Ive been dealing with the CIO of the government branch my client reports to. We need the new key for office 2013 and need to go through them to get it. He sent me a key almost two weeks ago and it doesn't work. Since then its been a back and fourth of him telling giving me several different keys, including one for the office 2013 web app. Today he tells me to call him so we can get this figured.

The call starts with a rant about how the MS volume licensing site works. And how the keys are tied to the ISO's he has on his account and will only work with those ISO's. After 20 minutes on the phone with me trying to argue with him he says:

CIO:"look, Ill burn you the office 2013 standard ISO to a disk and you can install it. Come to our office this afternoon"
Me: "Wait, you sent me the key for standard? There is the problem. I asked for Pro Plus"
CIO: *quiet for a minute* "oh, i was testing you"

We still have to get the licensing gong show fixed properly. Im hoping it wont be my problem to run that down, but I am suspecting it will be.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 17, 2014

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
My company is still down and I think I might have to expedite my job search considering the sheer anger I can hear coming from the account managers desks through the phones... from the clients. Impressive considering I sit on the other side of the cube farm

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

blackswordca posted:

So several emails and a call came in

Ive been dealing with the CIO of the government branch my client reports to. We need the new key for office 2013 and need to go through them to get it. He sent me a key almost two weeks ago and it doesn't work. Since then its been a back and fourth of him telling giving me several different keys, including one for the office 2013 web app. Today he tells me to call him so we can get this figured.

The call starts with a rant about how the MS volume licensing site works. And how the keys are tied to the ISO's he has on his account and will only work with those ISO's. After 20 minutes on the phone with me trying to argue with him he says:

CIO:"look, Ill burn you the office 2013 standard ISO to a disk and you can install it. Come to our office this afternoon"
Me: "Wait, you sent me the key for standard? There is the problem. I asked for Pro Plus"
CIO: *quiet for a minute* "oh, i was testing you"

We still have to get the licensing gong show fixed properly. Im hoping it wont be my problem to run that down, but I am suspecting it will be.

Why is the CIO the only person who has access to the MS volume licensing?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sickening posted:

Why is the CIO the only person who has access to the MS volume licensing?

IT people be stealing the codes!!!! Can't be trusted!

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

sinky posted:

Press two keys at the same time? Woah slow the gently caress down Mr computer expert.

F4 does this in IE

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

lampey posted:

F4 does this in IE

"press F4"
"you mean F and 4?"
"no press the F4 key"
"Alright pressed F four times, did nothing"

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
A ticket came in prod servers are shutting down every 15 minutes! Queue 'it's a VMware issue', realize they aren't shutting down they're pausing. Run gpresult see a GOP is applying hibernate afte 15 minutes of inactivity. Fix Gpo fairly quick and find out its a half day with tomorrow off.

This owns so hard

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

jre posted:

We have conference phones that have an external power brick and the power cable uses an RJ45 jack to connect to the phone (brilliant design that). People kill their laptops with them frequently when the plug them into their ethernet port.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Yeah you pretty much naiped it. Desktops are set up so ethernet or whatever goes into phone then into desktop. Company too cheap to pay for wireless in all offices so if you use a laptop in a no wireless office you pull the ethernet out the phone and plug into laptop.

In places where you use a laptop a million times more than a phone like a meeting or conference room you usually see the cable sat next to the phone as the last guy didnt plug it back in the phone.

Someone has pinched the office\room I normally mooch in so I head down the hall and set up in the next free room. Plug in and turn on then get a coffee. By the time I get back we have smoke and start of melting.

Unplug it all and follow the cable turns out it comes from a box plugged into an extension chord. Why I have no idea we have a proper raised floor set up. Thats when I notice instead of a normal phone this room has some fancy conference phone.

Ooops. At least my it guys were understanding. Im sure im the subject of some wtf jokes wherever they blow off steam though.

Do you guys use Cisco phones by any chance?

Gunjin fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 17, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Entropic posted:

And here I thought Etherkillers were a joke and not real equipment.

Gunjin posted:

We have conference phones that have an external power brick and the power cable uses an RJ45 jack to connect to the phone (brilliant design that). People kill their laptops with them frequently when the plug them into their ethernet port.

So there are literally production EtherKillers out there.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Stupid question, but do you not have label makers? Print up a label that says that it's for $specialty_item only.

Oh, who am I kidding? Users, read a warning? Not likely.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Inspector_666 posted:

So there are literally production EtherKillers out there.

It looks like this, you plug the triangle thingy into power and there are two ports in it, one is for ethernet in, then one is for both data and electricity out to the phone. Since the regular cat5 going into normal phones is the same as the ones used for computer data people will pull the one out of the conference phone assuming the same thing, and bam, dead computer.

TWBalls posted:

Stupid question, but do you not have label makers? Print up a label that says that it's for $specialty_item only.

Oh, who am I kidding? Users, read a warning? Not likely.

They put up warning signs in some rooms, but yeah, no one reads the warning signs.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Those are regular PoE injectors, they shouldn't kill a computer unless the computer somehow doesn't have an electrically isolated network jack.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

"press F4"
"you mean F and 4?"
"no press the F4 key"
"Alright pressed F four times, did nothing"

I've found that less people know how to press an F key than CTRL+something these days. It doesn't help that some newer laptops have media keys as the default and make you press the Fn key for F keys.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Collateral Damage posted:

Those are regular PoE injectors, they shouldn't kill a computer unless the computer somehow doesn't have an electrically isolated network jack.

All I know is plug one into a Lenovo 410 and it makes the computer need a new motherboard.

EDIT: It wouldn't suprise me if those are supposed to be harmless and we've just got something weird going on, computers are weird sensitive beasts, we had multiple Dell M90 laptops need new motherboards after connecting to NEC Plasma monitors via VGA, any other computer was fine, but an M90 would be killed instantly.

Gunjin fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 17, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
In the olden days of yore, I killed a few modems by plugging in the standard RJ11 jack that the digital phone system ran on. It supplied a much higher voltage, apparently, and would insta-smoke a standard dialup modem. :[

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
See this is why everyone needs to make proprietary connectors for everything, Apple was right.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

A ticket came in prod servers are shutting down every 15 minutes! Queue 'it's a VMware issue', realize they aren't shutting down they're pausing. Run gpresult see a GOP is applying hibernate afte 15 minutes of inactivity. Fix Gpo fairly quick and find out its a half day with tomorrow off.

This owns so hard

Why does hibernate even exist for a server OS? When would you ever want to actually do that?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Professor from the education department (where all bad things happen here) "unplugs her laptop" and suddenly sparks fly everywhere and the whole podium loses power. I can't wait to see what happens with this. We just remodeled most of these rooms with new Crestron and A/V stuff too.

:negative:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Why does hibernate even exist for a server OS? When would you ever want to actually do that?

Its most likely not a server os at all, but yeah, the point of hybernation in server versions is pretty silly.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
A depressing number of "servers" are running a non-server OS and convinced either through registry trickery or extensive amounts of programs that they're actually servers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Kurieg posted:

A depressing number of "servers" are running a non-server OS and convinced either through registry trickery or extensive amounts of programs that they're actually servers.

Cheap decision makers will use a workstation OS as servers. Its always more painful than its worth.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

In the olden days of yore, I killed a few modems by plugging in the standard RJ11 jack that the digital phone system ran on. It supplied a much higher voltage, apparently, and would insta-smoke a standard dialup modem. :[

Yeah, that's ISDN for ya.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

It may not be standard PoE... Some "PoE" devices are not standards compliant and just use passive methods where power is always present on certain pairs. Ubiquiti Networks for example does this with a lot of their equipment; 24v DC delivered on the unused pairs and its always present. Plugging a regular Ethernet device into such a power injector could fry it, the injector, or both.

Real 802.3af/at PoE requires a certain resistance value to be present across particular pairs before it will deliver power down the line.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I dunno whether this is the right thread for this, but does anybody know whether the ITIL sequence is total bullshit or not? I don't really care about the actual certs here, but I'm more wondering about the content of the modules.

Long story short, I'm looking at seeing whether there are any process improvements my company can make over the next couple of years, especially in the operations group. From what I've been able to find, the ITIL stuff sounds like it's basically project management as applied to IT, which seems like it might be useful, but I don't want to waste time putting myself through it if it's just common sense stuff ("Document things you plan on doing, are doing, and have done", "Consider how your changes affect other groups", etc.).

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sickening posted:

Cheap decision makers will use a workstation OS as servers. Its always more painful than its worth.

We have a computer like this in the office. It's 12 years old, running Windows 2k, and was recently updated to a whopping 2gb of memory. It runs the parts info and customer history databases for the entire company and stores the database files on a USB 1.1 external hard drive.

It had an internal drive but that failed years ago and everyone's afraid it won't come back up if they turn it off to pull it out. :v:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ITIL is not "project management for IT", rather it's a framework you can use to structure your processes within your organisation. It's not a magic bullet that makes your processes run smoothly but it is something you can adapt to fit your particular organisation.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

It can make sense if you're just trying to host an application (CCTV NVR or something) since a desktop OS doesn't also require you to get CALs for all your devices/users, which you won't have unless you already have Windows servers.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

spankmeister posted:

ITIL is not "project management for IT", rather it's a framework you can use to structure your processes within your organisation. It's not a magic bullet that makes your processes run smoothly but it is something you can adapt to fit your particular organisation.

I get that it's not a magic bullet (because those don't exist). I'm mostly looking for ideas for how to improve our processes and better ways to identify areas where we need to improve them, but I was curious whether it's valuable or not. Most of what I've been able to find, though, has been feedback from people who teach ITIL for a living (and therefore have a vested interest in it) or people who just get the Foundations cert and stop there so they can tick the "I've heard of ITIL" box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Caged posted:

It can make sense if you're just trying to host an application (CCTV NVR or something) since a desktop OS doesn't also require you to get CALs for all your devices/users, which you won't have unless you already have Windows servers.

It never makes sense. Just use a server OS if you want something to be a server. Enough will bite you in the rear end later to have to worry about a single user OS.

• Locked thread