Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hell, Rogue Traders in general are another of those 'we're going to break our own rules because it would be suicidal not to' things. An RT does super loving illegal stuff, just it's legal for him, because they really really really need someone exploring and wandering about and they really need people to settle frontiers and treat with alien races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ashcans posted:

Navigators are also stable mutations! They don't just erupt into piles of tentacles and poo poo or birth seething horrors of teeth and eyes (just the normal three).

Or at least, not that they let on.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Elukka posted:

I haven't found the need to calculate exact masses for things but I'm assuming bulk lifters have way more payload than is listed and that any planet that sees a decent amount of trade has a fleet of superheavy lifters for loading and unloading visiting starships. The basic idea is that it's not an issue on the average imperial world, but that a ship without outside help is not going to load millions of tonnes of cargo very quickly with just the lifters it carries on board. They're still capable of it, it just takes a relatively long time.

Ok, I lied and thought about it. The only way I can see you landing megatons of material on a regular basis - without huge teleporters (which might actually be an option on forge worlds) - would be wrapping it in a heat shield and dropping it in a dedicated "landing sea". Then we might as well go full TMiaHM and have the return option for bulk material be huge electromagnetic catapults, with ships only used for delicate items like high technology and people.

Which is kind of cool, so I might run with it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ashcans posted:

I think this is one of the reasons that Beastmen tend to get the short end of the stick. In theory they could fill some sort of niche, but the Beastman mutation isn't entirely stable - they share an overall shape and traits, but as a subspecies they have weird variations and drifts (in that some are goats and some are dogs and it's not always clear who breeds what). So where they are spared outright purge, they get shunted into penal legions, etc. because they aren't trusted in the way that Ogryns or Ratlings are.

As I use beastmen in my game, the reason beastmen are so diverse is that different planets - and most hiveworlds and forgeworlds have beastmen - have different conditions and produce different strains of beastmen that are all collectively lumped together under that one name for the lot.

Then again, my game has featured abhumans in parts of the Imperium other than the Imperial guard. Both ogryn and ratling Sisters of Battle have shown up, complete with appropriately sized suits of power armor courtesy of some deals between the Sisters and AdMech, and a delphi Vindicare assassin made a brief appearance.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

goatface posted:

Ok, I lied and thought about it. The only way I can see you landing megatons of material on a regular basis - without huge teleporters (which might actually be an option on forge worlds) - would be wrapping it in a heat shield and dropping it in a dedicated "landing sea". Then we might as well go full TMiaHM and have the return option for bulk material be huge electromagnetic catapults, with ships only used for delicate items like high technology and people.

Who says you can't wrap humans in heat shielding and drop them in a sea?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

Then again, my game has featured abhumans in parts of the Imperium other than the Imperial guard. Both ogryn and ratling Sisters of Battle have shown up, complete with appropriately sized suits of power armor courtesy of some deals between the Sisters and AdMech, and a delphi Vindicare assassin made a brief appearance.

I'm now imagining an Ogryn, with an Ogryn sized Eviscerator, dressed in massive ogryn-sized techno-plate. It's loving awesome.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Waci posted:

Who says you can't wrap humans in heat shielding and drop them in a sea?

It would be an interesting way to insert a few thousand drop troopers. Have the heat shield break away at about 20 km up, let the troops spread out in freefall and drop onto their target. A sort of extreme HALO jump that you start by being fired as part of a macrocannon barrage.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

goatface posted:

It would be an interesting way to insert a few thousand drop troopers. Have the heat shield break away at about 20 km up, let the troops spread out in freefall and drop onto their target. A sort of extreme HALO jump that you start by being fired as part of a macrocannon barrage.

Essentially the unit canon from supreme commander two. Which is an awesome little concept and is so 40k.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

goatface posted:

At that point you might as well just walk out of the airlock.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay: At that point you might as well just walk out of the airlock :iamafag:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, for that you'd need one of these: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/359/f/e/felix_re_entry_suit_by_dfacto-d5p50uq.jpg

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

goatface posted:

Isn't this basically Space Marine drop pods?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Those have retrorockets and poo poo.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Most of the stable abhuman races are thought to have been genetically engineered using archeotech that no longer exists. Since they were created with technology, and appear to be stable, they are permitted to exist because the Emperor said to let them exist. Because the Emperor approved a number of abhuman races, it set a precident for ones found later... but only so long as they appear to be stable.

Navigators are a weird point. In RT they mutate like mad, but outside of RT, fluff never had them be mutated... fat sometimes, but not mutated. I don't know where that came from. Either way, since they breed true, and stick to breeding in their own Houses, they remain under the Accepted Abhuman umbrella.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

goatface posted:

Well, just a big concrete pad would do, even with rockets but particularly with all the magic engines and antigravity in 40k. A landing sea would work too and is a cool enough idea that it has to exist. :v: I'm imagining this area with dozens of megaton space barges splashing down and causing immense waves, with cargo boats hanging only slightly back and their grizzled sailors giving no shits. A good place for some maritime action.

Capsules are oddly rare in 40k materials. You'd think they'd remain the most straightforward and cheapest way to get something down (though not back up) for either people or cargo. In my game both cargo and crew capsules are commonly available but their safety and landing accuracy varies a lot. They're thought of as a somewhat cheapo solution and often come from questionable sources.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Elukka posted:

Well, just a big concrete pad would do, even with rockets but particularly with all the magic engines and antigravity in 40k. A landing sea would work too and is a cool enough idea that it has to exist. :v: I'm imagining this area with dozens of megaton space barges splashing down and causing immense waves, with cargo boats hanging only slightly back and their grizzled sailors giving no shits. A good place for some maritime action.

Capsules are oddly rare in 40k materials. You'd think they'd remain the most straightforward and cheapest way to get something down (though not back up) for either people or cargo. In my game both cargo and crew capsules are commonly available but their safety and landing accuracy varies a lot. They're thought of as a somewhat cheapo solution and often come from questionable sources.

Their lack of crennelated prows and huge rear end skull cathedrals make them suspect from an ecclesiarchal viewpoint, to say the least.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The top side of a large capsule could be shaped far more like a church than the fliers commonly used by the Imperium. :colbert:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Have they said what the compatibility is going to be with the other games and first edition DH books? loving loving that cover as well

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'll be honest, I know there's some upset over FFG scrapping what they were working on and retooling DH2E to be more in line with the already-published games but if they can actually deliver on what they're promising there it sounds like this may be the game I wished DH was from the outset. New rules for investigation and social challenges, Inquisitor and Untouchable options right in the corebook, rules and guidelines for things like "calling down Space Marines when poo poo gets real" and "playing it subtle versus flashing your Inquisitorial badge around and telling everyone to ask 'how high' when you say jump"...I mean, it could all fall flat, but I'm a lot more interested to see this than I thought I'd be.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FireSight posted:

Navigators are a weird point. In RT they mutate like mad, but outside of RT, fluff never had them be mutated... fat sometimes, but not mutated. I don't know where that came from. Either way, since they breed true, and stick to breeding in their own Houses, they remain under the Accepted Abhuman umbrella.

Also the "being entirely critical to the functioning of the Imperium" thing.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Can't forget that the very warp drive is disgusting warp machinery that would probably be blasphemous as all hell if it wasn't utterly necessary.
e: I bet some diehard Imperial cultists could oppose them.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

FireSight posted:

Most of the stable abhuman races are thought to have been genetically engineered using archeotech that no longer exists. Since they were created with technology, and appear to be stable, they are permitted to exist because the Emperor said to let them exist. Because the Emperor approved a number of abhuman races, it set a precident for ones found later... but only so long as they appear to be stable.

Fluff had them get more mutated the older and more powerful they got (as with Navigators in Dune), it's just that like all PCs RT navigators become more powerful faster than 'normal' characters.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Kai Tave posted:

I'll be honest, I know there's some upset over FFG scrapping what they were working on and retooling DH2E to be more in line with the already-published games but if they can actually deliver on what they're promising there it sounds like this may be the game I wished DH was from the outset. and ...I mean, it could all fall flat, but I'm a lot more interested to see this than I thought I'd be.

This is from what I saw in the beta, which they may have changed, but let's take this one at a time.

quote:

New rules for investigation and social challenges,

"playing it subtle versus flashing your Inquisitorial badge around and telling everyone to ask 'how high' when you say jump"
Yeah... not so much. The 'rules' amount to a few tables of social test modifiers for NPC disposition based on their personality (there are 5 personalities). The investigation mechanic, Subtlety, is a ridiculous track of 0-100 where one end is 'nobody knows you were even there' and the other is 'kick in the door and yell "Inquisition!"' While this may sound cool, there's very little in the way of how to use it, change it, and why it's even important for the GM to track yet another number. It's not integrated into the game very well at all.

quote:

Inquisitor and Untouchable options right in the corebook,
It's cool that these are present, but from what I remember Inquisitor is next to impossible to start the game as and Untouchable had a totally underwhelming talent table that required a huge amount of XP for very little benefit. Not at all like they were in DH1.

That said, the character creation system is the one of the best improvements to the game. I think it was better before they went back to Aptitudes, but it's still neat. It's tarnished by the fact that Aptitudes are terribly balanced (some are way more useful than others).

quote:

rules and guidelines for things like "calling down Space Marines when poo poo gets real"
Yeah.... no. The Reinforcements mechanic was basically: spend X influence, you get to play as this super powerful NPC for a scene. It's not calling in kill squads, orbital support or anything cool like that. It's literally, "Here's an NPC. You play as them for this scene."

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I think it speaks volumes that this thread decided to talk about cat abhumans and drop pod bullets before the new edition.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, by all sounds of it, it's kinda a couple half-assed mechanics tossed on top of OW, which I'm sure made the dipshits whining for total backwards compatibility on FFG's forums really happy.

Plus, you know, drop pod bullets are sweet.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I'm working on a homebrew version of Ascension where everyone makes a throne agent, and then makes a team of Acolytes that work under their agent... each team can be sent off as NPCs, or players can take control of an acolyte if what one Agent is doing is particularly interesting.

Basically, Ars Magica style mechanics so if your main dude is busy, you have a less important (and disposable) underling to play as in the meantime.

I'm trying to figure out how to reduce the sheer amount of work it takes to create a character, however.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FireSight posted:

I'm working on a homebrew version of Ascension where everyone makes a throne agent, and then makes a team of Acolytes that work under their agent... each team can be sent off as NPCs, or players can take control of an acolyte if what one Agent is doing is particularly interesting.

Basically, Ars Magica style mechanics so if your main dude is busy, you have a less important (and disposable) underling to play as in the meantime.

I'm trying to figure out how to reduce the sheer amount of work it takes to create a character, however.

Wouldn't it be easier to just make the A team composed of the Throne agents and a D team made up of the acolytes and let the group as a whole decide who to send on each mission. So while you might end up having a gang operation ripped to shreds by a Death Cult and Vindicator Assassin tag team whilst the Interrogater and Desperado capture the leader but you could also end up having your acolyte team running up against a cult that just summoned a Bloodthirster. Their would have to be some limits to how often the A team could be used but this would make information gathering classes very powerful as it will be up to them to figure out just what level of threat an encounter will bring and plan accordingly.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The idea is that your Agents aren't always going to be hanging out with the Inquisitor. The Inquisitor is likely to be sending them out on individual missions or having them follow leads, maybe even infiltrate an organization. The Agents are the FEW people the Inquisitor can trust to not totally gently caress up. That means that they should often be out and about, with the few people THEY trust or can use, trying to do what they can.

So have a bunch of little side-story missions where each Agent does their thing, with the other players acting as his/her support staff, and once the Agents are done, they become available if the Inquisitor needs to do something that involves them. If the Agent isn't available, well, the inquisitor has Acolytes who can be used, even if they aren't as good as his Agents.

Basically, you become the Inquisitors organization, rather than just the few top guys in it. Your Acolytes are no longer just "oh, this team has a 20% chance to do this task successfully, why do I even HAVE them?".

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

FireSight posted:

How's your homebrew version of Black Crusade coming?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I got about 20 pages into rewriting poo poo and gave up because the entire base system was such a clusterfuck it needed to be rewritten rather than revised in order to fix it's scale issues. I'm being less ambitious for the Ascension homebrew. I'm just specifying a way to speed up character creation and some guidelines on when to play your Agent vs when to play an Acolyte.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Man, I got a buddy who's been trying to fix loving Exalted.

He's been at it for close to a decade.

Don't be that guy, FS. Even devising your own system while retaining the feel of the original is a giant effort. FFG might not be quite as bad as WW, but it comes close sometimes.

Also, cat abhumans will continue to be mentioned because it appears to be even more of a sore spot than female space marines. Or female catgirl space marines (Successor/rival chapter to the Space Woofs)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How much character generation is too much? If players have 1 Super-awesome guy and then 2/3 acolytes in a pool (none of which can be of the same class, obviously), then when an Ascension character sends a team on a mission they can pick their team from the pool to fit the mission. It even leaves it open for people who hate making characters to have a few reliably useful choices as their options, while the people who love chargen can roll up countless weird gimmicks that are only useful on this specific kind of job.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Night10194 posted:

Well, by all sounds of it, it's kinda a couple half-assed mechanics tossed on top of OW, which I'm sure made the dipshits whining for total backwards compatibility on FFG's forums really happy.

What are you on about? FFG forums were chock full of people who were having conniptions when they discovered they weren't going to have a sexy new novel system. That new system was abandoned because it had massive demonstrable structural flaws that were not going to be realistically addressable with the time and resources available for development. Pretending that abandoning the first DH 2.0 beta rules was anything but an excellent decision on FFG's part is terrible revisionism.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
How exactly do you make character creation easier? Characters are of similar complexity and require similar amounts of information, don't they?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You can block assign skills and talents. Bundle up a bunch of things as gunfighting, technomat, religious scholar etc for 500xp. Or you can entirely shift the system into non-specifics. Reduce the skill options and increase their cost, limit the talent options and restrict them more by class, tie characteristic increases to specific points in the development (at 1000xp take a +5 in one stat, at 2000xp take a +5 in a different stat, at 3000xp take a previously raised stat to +10 or raise two stats to +5 etc).

It's a lot of work to set up though, so you run the classic problem of spending more time optimising the solution than will ever be saved by your optimisation.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ronwayne posted:

Man, I got a buddy who's been trying to fix loving Exalted.

Why would someone do this. Why would they do this to themselves?

Also, for relevant content, how do people fluff the whole 'Illusions of Normalcy' thing when it happens to a Space Marine? Because the idea of someone in Astartes armor who appears to be a completely ordinary human, trying to tell everyone they are, of course, a normal, limited human just like you and in no way a Space Marine, is a bit mind boggling.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 18, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Massively powerful "somebody else's problem" field.

edit - They're literally being psychically induced into a state where their brain is going "That can't be a Space Marine. If it was everyone would be reacting appropriately. I'm just going to paste a generic human shape there and try not to think about it too hard." If there's a psyker in the room they're probably going to run out screaming, but anyone else will just carry on as though everything is normal, and if they happen to bump into that man a foot away from where they think he's standing? Oh well, they must have just been a bit clumsy.

goatface fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

goatface posted:

Massively powerful "somebody else's problem" field.

edit - They're literally being psychically induced into a state where their brain is going "That can't be a Space Marine. If it was everyone would be reacting appropriately. I'm just going to paste a generic human shape there and try not to think about it too hard." If there's a psyker in the room they're probably going to run out screaming, but anyone else will just carry on as though everything is normal, and if they happen to bump into that man a foot away from where they think he's standing? Oh well, they must have just been a bit clumsy.

This is the setup for endless comedy and I want it to happen next time I run BC.