Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

My father's death saddens me greatly, but I believe he partook in too many drinks and let his tongue run loose. As such I take his position and put forth the following

##Propose Senate Rule: Test of Loyalty
Senators may *either* switch to a new party or propose a new law during each meeting of the senate. New senators that did not participate previously in the meeting of the Senate are excluded from this law (ooc: don't want to punish players new to the game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Er... well, um... All hail our glorious Tsar!

You have done very well to expunge the traitorous and broken parts of our Senate. We should never suffer treason, after all, ha... haha!

Speaking of that I have an idea that I think will be of help to you.

##Propose: What's Good for the Goose is Good for the Gander

You can be sure that there are many disloyal doukes in your glorious new union of the three Romes, my Tsar. Indeed, even at this moment, there are several of them likely plotting armed rebellion. Hence my suggestion: as you purged the senate, purge too the ranks of the doukes. Execute any doux who is a member of a treasonous faction.

Only then shall we have peace.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Senate will have to come down to earth regardless. Things are as they are, and if anyone wishes to live in a fantasy world where they aren't they might as well side with the Dukes.

More importantly, I would like to draw your attention to this:

Rincewind posted:

PATRIARCHS

As you can see the office of the Bishop of Rome has near-complete oversight over western Europe. To my fellow senators in the Committee of Saint Valeria, I implore you to propose legislation to limit his influence to Italy only, lest ambitions of Papism infiltrate his office again one day.

Luhood posted:

The Phanariote Committee

Tachat II Qutuzid

Far be it for me to speak against the Basi... forgive me, the Tsar, or for that matter against his heritage, but as a Phanariote I can't help but be hesitant against the Quad-Lingual Literacy Addendum. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Greek the γλώσσα πανεπιστήμιο, or Lingua Academia for the Latin speakers, of the Russian people as well? The Universities of Kiev teaches in Orthodox Greek, no? And thus, with Greek already being the Lingua Universalis of the northern reaches of Kiev-Byzantium, wouldn't it be very un-Phanariote to add Russian to the mix simply as a mean of licking up to the Tsar? I believe the Tsar to be a man of wisdom, and thus non-receptive to such clear acts of brown-nosing.

Should Russian become the language of the nobility I would neither mind nor care. But let's not add it as a fourth language to our Universities simply to appease a man beyond the simple acts of appeasing.

The purpose of the Tri-Lingual Literacy Act was to facilitate the spread and flow of knowledge by having all texts available in Latin, Greek and Arabic. That was because, at the time of the Act's establishment, the Roman Empire held Italian and Muslim lands along with its Greek core. But now it could be well argued that the lands of the Rus' comprise an even more integral part of the Empire than either Italy or our traditionally Muslim holdings. As such, not including Russian in the official languages of science and knowledge would be a terrible oversight.

Do not forget the primary principle the Phanariote faction was founded on, senator: spreading the light of knowledge. Making knowledge more accessible is not brown-nosing, it's our purpose. Regardless of where our Tsar or Emperor hails from, so long as the Tsardom of Kiev is part of the Roman Empire we must make accommodations for that. Nor do I wish for the Phanariotes to become an insular intelligentsia that cares only for the academic community without seeking to expand it.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

The Venetian Committee

I fail to see why my predecessor was executed when he proclaimed loyalty to the new Tsar, but no matter. I move to again ##Propose the Divided as One act. As written in this excerpt from previous meetings.

Blackunknown posted:

After hearing Unitas prattle on about "assimilation" senate session after senate session, I would like to counter propose a solution other than "ALL MUST BE GREEK BLARG". I propose the κατανέμονται ως ένα Act(divided as one). This act would allow the fusing of minority culture with Greek culture. This would allow them to become "Greek" while keeping their cultural heritage and language while combining it with Greek heritage and language. This would allow the cultural unity that Unitas so desires without force-assimalating other cultures at sword-point.

OOC: What i'm trying to state here is that when we convert to EU4 instead of having a bunch of non-accepted cultures in our provinices we make them a new culture in the Byzantine culture group( which has very few cultures in it anyway). Cumans and Pechanegs become Greco-Altic, Turks become Greco-Turkic, Arabs become Greco-Arabic, Italians become Sicilian, etc. As the Byzantine Empire is already the cultural union of the Byzantine culture group we would get no penalties from said cultures.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

You know, I always expected that someone of my party would be the first to be executed. At least none of us were dumb enough to openly rebel against the royal family.
And yes, I know that my party no longer exists, but I will never stop claiming it.

##propose Higher Learning Initiative.
More Universities can only help our great nation learn.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

##propose the Manzikert Act

This Act mandates that we conquer Armenia. In wars against the great Muslim empires of Mesopotamia, fighting either occurs there, or in Anatolia, our heartland. We need an easily defensible and expendable buffer. Armenia was that buffer for centuries, and it should be again. Liberating the Christians there will be the icing on the cake.

I would also like to offer my solution the problem of doukes:

##propose the Mandate of Heaven Act

This Act defines holding more than two themes as subversion against the Emperor. As such, it is a crime against God's chosen monarch, and merits immediate excommunication. Once excommunicated, the doukes can be imprisoned and dealt with at will. Those without heirs should be castrated.

Did you not hear your Emperor when he said not to propose legislation for yet more conquests until the current crisis has passed? Say what we will about the circumstances of his reign or his actions on taking power, but he is right that the internal stability of the realm is, for now, more important than fighting the foreigners. That said I agree the doukes must be curtailed as much as possible, and this nonsense with an individual doux having more than one theme can't stand. In that vein, while I do not agree with getting as... extreme, as you propose, I hereby ##propose the Thematic Balance Act

This Act will, like my fellow Senator's proposal, name it illegal for any doux or doukessa to hold more than one theme; however, where it differs is that the punishment will be immediate revocation of any additional themes to be redistributed to vassals or courtiers of proven loyalty and administrative capability. Likewise, any doukes found to be part of dissident factions or members of plots against the Imperial throne will have all themes revoked and given to a loyal vassal within the de jure theme or a courtier. This will also be safer than Senator Nightingale's proposal, as an attempted execution would be seen as too heavy-handed, and guaranteed to cause rebellion.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012
A shame. We have not yet even reconquered Illyria and yet the Old Romans have been declared obsolete. Still, it is the will of the Emperor, Tsar and Autocrat of the Roman Empire, and his will be done.

(OOC: I imagine that, with that giant trait, this guy must be pretty fuckin' horrifying to normal height folks from the Medieval period)

Still, in the spirit of the Old Romans, I hereby take up a white robe and announce my entrance into the Varangian Committee.

\/\/\/ Noted

Skyfinder fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 17, 2014

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It would appear Senator Flesnok's reminder went by unnoticed.

Rules of the Senate posted:

Creating new parties is forbidden.
Submitting proposals to more than one committee is forbidden.
Laws are passed by imperial fiat.
Two proposals from each committee will become law every session.
No voting. All committees of state are equal, regardless of the number of members they have.
:siren:Laws explicitly calling for new conquest are forbidden until the end of the present security crisis.:siren:

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

I shall not propose legislation for now, because I believe that there have been several excellent proposals by my fellow senators already. I merely would like to take this chance to reaffirm my standing with the The Phanariote Committee. Descended from the New Byzantine faction, great wisdom and knowledge can be found in our halls and so it will continue to be.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

While I would never swear loyalty to the Black Chamber itself, I must say that further internal stability is critical in this of all times.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Did you not hear your Emperor when he said not to propose legislation for yet more conquests until the current crisis has passed? Say what we will about the circumstances of his reign or his actions on taking power, but he is right that the internal stability of the realm is, for now, more important than fighting the foreigners. That said I agree the doukes must be curtailed as much as possible, and this nonsense with an individual doux having more than one theme can't stand. In that vein, while I do not agree with getting as... extreme, as you propose, I hereby ##propose the Thematic Balance Act

This Act will, like my fellow Senator's proposal, name it illegal for any doux or doukessa to hold more than one theme; however, where it differs is that the punishment will be immediate revocation of any additional themes to be redistributed to vassals or courtiers of proven loyalty and administrative capability. Likewise, any doukes found to be part of dissident factions or members of plots against the Imperial throne will have all themes revoked and given to a loyal vassal within the de jure theme or a courtier. This will also be safer than Senator Nightingale's proposal, as an attempted execution would be seen as too heavy-handed, and guaranteed to cause rebellion.

The initial proceedings were...exciting, Senator. Can you not forgive a small slip? Old habits, yes?

The problem with your Act is that a doux who has lost an additional theme will hate the Emperor for it, and we don't need to give them another reason to rebel. Imprisoned, they pose no threat, and can have all of their themes removed.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 17, 2014

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Well, we all know what the real cause of all this chaos is. It's because this foolish body put it's faith in parties more concerned with religion and the past than it did with progress. Despite the unfortunate demise of the New Byzantines, at least there are still parties that seek to advance the realm.

#Propose the Imperial Consolidation & Prosperity Act - the emperor is advised to keep a demesne of two duchies - Constantinople's and one other, and focus on increasing the number of holdings within each province in these duchies.

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 17, 2014

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

I find it a matter of some small irony that so many of our number flocked to the banner of the murderers in the shadows, only to immediately become victims of untimely death. So it goes, friends. So it goes.

No true Erisian would ever turn down an invitation to a grand bash, no matter how... pointed. Let the apples that fall from the tree roll where they may. For me, they roll towards international diplomacy.

In that vein, please indulge me a moment. I ##propose Looking Eastwards, beyond the Horde, to the glittering empires of the furthest East. Alliances in the far courts could do a lot to help reduce the Mongol menace. Also, I remain certain that powerful trade routes wait to enrich the Empire in that direction.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

What's in a name? Nothing. Names are like cloaks, to be discarded depending on the situation.

The Komnenoi faction has always prized flexibility and practicality second to the loyalty to the dynasty, through any methods whatsoever, with a certain favour shown to those methods less, overt. While some of its more, overzealous members may have forgotten that the hidden blade is less useful when revealed, I'm sure that with this new order we will once again flourish under the offspring of the Komnenoi, whatever name he may choose to bear. Blood is stronger than words, after all.

Besides, I always did prefer black. It hides wine-stains and blood-stains both, a useful thing indeed.

I ##propose Only God forgives, whereby any and all threats to the internal order of the Empire as of right now and henceforth be dealt with preemptively through any methods whatsoever might occur to the Emperor.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

In this time of reconstruction under this New Byzantium, supporting or proposing an act will take some consideration. For now, though, it is prudent to look inwards and consolidate our gains. Furthermore, it is a time for learning, not of war. It is the constant greed for more land that led us to a Catholic Pope that commands men in the hundreds of thousand with ease. To a Mongol Horde in the east that will continue to be a threat, more so now that the border with them is so long.

Kiev-Byzantium does not need new land, it needs to reassert itself politically and culturally.

For now, I shall convene with the Phanariote Committee

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

The Venetian Committee

Ah, but alas. To take off the insignia of my forefathers, that of the Fraternalist, is a great sorrow. But Venice is a grand city, there can be no question.

So I say, we make more cities like Venice!

## Propose the Mechant Levant act ,the Levant is such a lovely place rich in culture and history. Let's go make some coin out of it. I mean not in Antioch or Jerusalem. But somewhere nearby. As well it will allow for a Republic to compete with the Somali in this area, ensuring it is an Orthodox power that is the richest on this Earth. This act suggests to the Emper-Tsar? Really, Tsar? That's the words they use? Oh well. I suggest to the Tsar we revoke a levantine Doux and replace them with a Merchant Republic.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Rejected Fate posted:

The Venetian Committee

Ah, but alas. To take off the insignia of my forefathers, that of the Fraternalist, is a great sorrow. But Venice is a grand city, there can be no question.

So I say, we make more cities like Venice!

## Propose the Mechant Levant act ,the Levant is such a lovely place rich in culture and history. Let's go make some coin out of it. I mean not in Antioch or Jerusalem. But somewhere nearby. As well it will allow for a Republic to compete with the Somali in this area, ensuring it is an Orthodox power that is the richest on this Earth. This act suggests to the Emper-Tsar? Really, Tsar? That's the words they use? Oh well. I suggest to the Tsar we revoke a levantine Doux and replace them with a Merchant Republic.

: What could possibly be more Roman than styling oneself Caesar?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I'm out. Finally make an interesting party and get hosed over before it begins.

Later.

The Black Chamber

Greetings Emperor. I'm your new representative for the Black Chamber. We're a little irked that you would try to purge us out so soon. We're not your enemy. But it seems you would like to make us one.

(OOC: Not giving a gently caress)

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 17, 2014

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Greetings Emperor. I'm your new representative for the Black Chamber. We're a little irked that you would try to purge us out so soon. We're not your enemy. But it seems you would like to make us one.

You...did kill his niece. You, personally, did.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012

Rincewind posted:

Well, my Emperor-Tsar, that would depend on how you feel about togas.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Would an actual representatives of an alleged centuries old organization of killers in the name of the Empire publicly identify himself, much less publicly call out the Tsar? Clearly not. As such, this is probably a ruse designed by the fool in Ortebello. Check his pockets for Papal gold I say!

(OOC: this should be interesting)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Patter Song posted:

You...did kill his niece. You, personally, did.

No, that was the former representative. We sent him off to the far-east. He shouldn't be a bother any more.

EDIT: And since I must if I want to -haha- participate in this senate.

I am a member of the blah blah blah and I propose

##Propose: The Dissolution of the Senate Act

This is a new era for the Empire and as we have witnessed, the senate was a failure. The fabled line of Emperors and Empresses is dead. Gone. They formed this senate and we should die with them. What use are we to one we called a barbarian? His military might will be more than enough to usher in a new era for the Emperor. Besides, the Senate was a Greek institution, we're Russians now. :black101:

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 17, 2014

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Phanariote Committee
Well that just happened....

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Rincewind posted:

The Venetian Committee

Perhaps we have a thief in the Senate, you appear to be missing some letters :colbert:

Oh please don't kill me, mister Emper-Tsar, sir.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

I'm out. Finally make an interesting party and get hosed over before it begins.

Later.

The Black Chamber

Ahahahahaha. The Hashashim announced themselves to the world and struck overtly and look how they ended. The point of the dagger is that it goes to the back of the target, unseen and unnoticed until too late, not that you wave it in the face of the world, yelling how you represent an ad hoc group of semi-organized spies and assassins whos greatest strength thus far has been its acephalous nature and its varied and different skills, all in the service of the Empire and its dynasty.

A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn, but waving that dagger in the light of day is just a good way to go meet your maker, as you and your "faction" found out to its detriment.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
A dagger in the front or the back, this man arrived in Constantinople to shed the blood of those who willingly swore allegiance to him. He or his dynasty must be destroyed at the hands of the Senate, however long it takes.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 17, 2014

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

The past years have been marked by a near-constant influx of Douxes and Catholic Mercenaries. Thus, I say, with the utmost certainty...

gently caress the Douxes.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

StrifeHira posted:

Well drat. I like this guy already!

It's sad to see the old standard gone, but it seems we must march on for the Romes.

As for parties...

White is a nice color.

On that note I ##Propose the Military Expansion Act.

Let's face it, we're going to be fighting the usual uprisings soon. So it would be smart to make sure that our forces are properly equipped, supported, funded, call it what you will. We should not, however, simply throw money at the problem and make every city build new barracks, recruitment centers, stables, whatever. We need focused military buildup at key points throughout the Empire, places where both loyalty is high and forces can be effectively called upon. A strong, dependable military will be able to both protect the Empire from invasion and be ready to strike should time come to invade someone again.

Now I just need to return that cheirosiphon...

Leave it to a Varangian to have the most pragmatic of ideas right out of the starting gate. I would suggest, however, that we not seek to improve the military capabilities of even our most loyal douxes/boyars/whatever we shall call them under our new enlightened Slavic leadership. We have seen the face of our true enemy many times over the centuries, and time and time again it has revealed itself to be that of a man or woman in whom we have placed great trust and responsibility. The myriad patchwork of scheming subvassals will be the bane of our sprawling realm, and they have caused advantageous positions and golden ages to crumble into dust, and for what?

I believe Senator StrifeHira's proposal is impeccable in theory, but we cannot continue to misplace our national security in the hands of the gentry. Thus, recognizing that we must have a strong military to defend the Three Romes against foreign powers as well as those traitors waiting for their chance to strike, I ##propose the Centralize Our Military Act. This Act will bind the State to raise as many Cataphract retinues as our administration can handle for a standing army and set aside subsidies for improvements to the military infrastructure in holdings directly controlled by the Tsar-Emperor or in holdings maintained by a Baron, Mayor, or Bishop directly under the Tsar-Emperor's rule. It will also include an absolute prohibition on Imperial subsidization of military infrastructure in all other holdings, and a prohibition against distributing holdings that can field a substantial amount of levies to douxes or despots.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

The Black Chamber

Just to be clear, the rest of us aren't with this guy. Never even seen them before today, honestly! The rest of us love Kiev and the Tsar!

(Let's slip out the back before the guards come back around)

Adept Nightingale fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 17, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Readingaccount posted:

A dagger in the front or the back, this man arrived in Constantinople to shed the blood of those who willingly swore allegiance to him. He or his dynasty must be destroyed at the hands of the Senate, however long it takes.

You're a traitor as well. Your family can get purged too you know. You swore allegiance to the Black Chamber. (OOC: Whoops, thought you were talking about me :downs:)

And stop acting like my former colleague did it of his own discretion. That's the beauty of the Black Chamber; are orders are given and we act upon them. No regrets, only the sanctity of the Empire. He may have regretted his mission after but he was honored to accept the task as it was given to him.

I do have to admit that some would waste our rituals on a petty 13 year-old but hey, once you make the call, there's no takebacks.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 17, 2014

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Readingaccount posted:

Tachat II Qutuzid

The only blood he shed was of those who doubted his right to rule, those who sided with the Empire as a whole rather than the Tsar himself and more or less spoke out against him and spoke of his Kievan upbringing as something bad for the Empire. He carries the blood of not only the Komnenoi in his veins, but his Rurikovich ancestry puts him in line with the great Norse conqueror Rurik. He's the descendant of a Varangian Legend mixed with the purple blood of the Komnenoi, how any of you dare question his right to rule, and even more so his ability, is far beyond me... and I like to consider myself rather well read in the matters of statecraft.

So speak what you want, Account, I for one will side with the Tsar. I may personally prefer the title Basilleus over Tsar, but his station is nonetheless absolute and unquestionable. Anything else would put one on par with the traitorous Doukes, and considering the history the Senate has with the Doukes... need I say more?

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

I invite all the other senators who do not feel that this dictatoris fit to command the loyalty of the Senate to join me at my Italian villa...as far away from the Slav as we can get and join me in my contemplation of the lives of true heroes of Rome, that we might find guidance...Marcus Junius Brutus and Lucius Junius Brutus

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012

Indeed. Prefer Greek to Russian all you want, but by the laws of the Empire set down from centuries past, he is the lawful Emperor and Autocrat of Byzantium. As such, it is his right to deal with those who would openly speak up to depose him as he wishes.

Let us not fall into lawlessness over this succession. I, for one, think we should celebrate: a new dynasty has arisen without it having had to depose the previous dynasty. A change of pace from the last few dynastic shifts.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Yea, I for one have no doubt that my father earned his death. He spoke openly of treason against the throne to garner support for his party in the Senate. He allowed his desire to gain power within this august body to overshadow that which is most important, the survival of the Empire.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I have no doubt that our new Tsar will be tested by the Empire, and I wish him the best in the civil war to come. In fact, I will donate my household guards to his armies! He will need them.

And, frankly, good riddance to the Black Hand. I infinitely prefer this new jester. To the real Black Chamber: excellent work.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Readingaccount posted:

You are, of course, perfectly entitled to such an opinion and I encourage you to voice it loudly and to any man you meet, especially when travelling through dark alleys or before over-indulging in wine.

I would, however, like to point out that in him lies the blood of the Empress, which at least as far as I can tell makes him Emperor, which means we owe him our allegiance. A bit of murder is part and parcel of life in Byzantion friend and no part of society is exempt from that fact of life.

I do have to admit that some would waste our rituals on a petty 13 year-old but hey, once you make the call, there's no takebacks.
Rituals? Oh, dear heavens above, it seems someone had ideas about how they could do things better than they'd been done for the last several hundred years. Did you sacrifice goats before killing people? Collect their toenails? Hah. You find those who wish the target ill, then convince them how the death of the target would serve their purposes, using whatever means fit the situation, whether blackmail, bribery, threats or more murder.

And through fortuitous circumstance, the target ends up dead. Or you stab them in the back, as is tradition, going back further than written records.

Rituals.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
: I am watching these proceedings with keen interested, and believe many of these proposals to be productive and worthwhile. However, there are currently very few proposals from the Committee of St. Valeria and the Varangian Committee, so I encourage undecided Senators to join those committees.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Gnooble posted:

I invite all the other senators who do not feel that this dictatoris fit to command the loyalty of the Senate to join me at my Italian villa...as far away from the Slav as we can get and join me in my contemplation of the lives of true heroes of Rome, that we might find guidance...Marcus Junius Brutus and Lucius Junius Brutus

You see, this is the same attitude that led to the last 7 Civil Wars. We need to be united.

On another note, we need more internal stability. Can someone remove this traitor to the throne from the chamber?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Rituals? Oh, dear heavens above, it seems someone had ideas about how they could do things better than they'd been done for the last several hundred years. Did you sacrifice goats before killing people? Collect their toenails? Hah. You find those who wish the target ill, then convince them how the death of the target would serve their purposes, using whatever means fit the situation, whether blackmail, bribery, threats or more murder.

And through fortuitous circumstance, the target ends up dead. Or you stab them in the back, as is tradition, going back further than written records.

Rituals.

What, you think we just let random people walk into our secret chamber and go "Hey I want so-and-so killed, here's some gold, thanks." No. You have to go through channels. Best way to reach us is to leave a black cloth with gold and the victim's name written in blood placed inside it. It makes things easier when we don't have to worry about things like who wants who dead. We just do the killing.

*lifts up a black cloth*

See they look much like this. Ohhhh.

*unwraps cloth*

Looks like I have business to attend to. I'll be back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

The Pesterios line of senators has been quiet, obediant, and content. Only one proposal worth speaking of was ever made by my family, generations in the past-

Pester posted:

...It's time to look to the steppes, who's undeveloped and unfertile lands hold no attraction to us and have no history within our empire, for friendship and alliance. We are not yet the united Rome that can stand alone against the world. So make a marriage alliance to Kiev. And it's time for our brave patriarchs to travel abroad, into great danger for the sake of great gain, as they had in the days of St. Cyril. Though our missionaries to the great Khans may perish, they will have the greater reward for their martyrdom in the afterlife. And heaven help us if the Mohammedans convert them first.

A King would never consent into marrying out of his dynasty, so that lone proposal, and a run of dynastic misfortune, proved to be the undoing of the Imperial Komnenos line. Now a new time is upon us, a nascent dynasty. New polticial parties for all of us who have for generations remained loyal to factions that no longer exist. It is time for the senate to take on a new identity. And, in the name of fairness, I humbly request that the emperor do the same.

## Propose The Imperial Hyphenation Act
If I may humbly address the Imperial Tsar himself, I wish to observe that his dynasty is brand new. Although he is born of the noble lines of both Rurikovich and Komnenoi, neither of them believe him to be family. It falls to It won't make any difference to the doukas and the nobles, but to the senate, to Milvan, Old Roman, New Byzantine, and especially Komnenians. It falls to Yaroslav Yaroslavovich to be the Alexios Komnenos of his dynasty, the one who, although not the first, is the one to remembered at the birth of a new beginning. You speak of the many times Kiev came to the aid of Byzantium in the tenure of your mother, but just as many times she and Byzantium came to the aid of Kiev. Your parents were equal in valor, equal in power, equal in piety, and equals in war, I submit that their dynasty- yourself, your sisters, and your children, reflect this. Become Yaroslav Yaroslavovich-Komnenos. The names of senate committees, the name of our Empire herself has changed in your tenure, to reflect this union. I only request that you do the same. Today, I am no longer a Milvan. The name has changed, but my duty to church of your sainted aunt remains.

OOC: I haven't been completely caught up lately, so this is a bit in the past, but doesn't the charinfo console command show who murdered a dead character? It's all moot, but I'd realy like to know who killed Valeria III.

• Locked thread