Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
have they mentioned anything about Ba'als 2 and 3? Goldie and Turtle Dove are Ba'als 1 and 4 so I'm just wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

Is this False Ending something that I'm likely to run into by accident if I'm not careful? Or is it extremely obvious (or extremely obtuse) and you'd only ever get it on purpose?

It's very obvious once you've progressed to the end of Chapter 6, and can only be gotten through conscious effort. And even then, it resets you back to before you triggered the sequence once you finish it, with all the levels and items you've picked up still gotten.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

Is this False Ending something that I'm likely to run into by accident if I'm not careful? Or is it extremely obvious (or extremely obtuse) and you'd only ever get it on purpose?

It's hard to do on accident, and you'll get increasingly strong hints about what you have to do. Additionally, you won't lose progress if you trigger it, because after you complete it it'll just put you right back immediately beforehand, and you'll even get to keep any items and experience and whatnot you got along the way.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I see. Thanks for the info.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

alcharagia posted:

Holy gently caress the fight against the Black Blades in Chapter 8 :suicide:

This was the meanest fight in the game. Bar none.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

have they mentioned anything about Ba'als 2 and 3? Goldie and Turtle Dove are Ba'als 1 and 4 so I'm just wondering.

Given that Goldie can be seen attacking ships outside of the building that the secret ending takes place in and Magnolia calls herself a Ba'al Buster, I assume the other Ba'als will appear in the sequel.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Just started Chapter 6. I've pieced together how to get both endings, so I have two questions:

1) Which should I do first?
2) Can I safely skip chapter 6's sidequests, or do they start getting brutal then and not chapter 7/8?

Party in the UAE
Sep 10, 2012

by XyloJW
How the hell does one beat the fight with the salvemaker, the summoner, the wizard and [the sage?] in Ch. 8 in the tower? I keep getting reset to fire-weak and I have no chance to re-reset the weakness before I get steamrolled. Even giant-salved allies with 2x HP get nuked in one turn.

I've tried a BP-battery spirit guy who can stop elemental damage, but the enemy salves just void the effect.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Party in the UAE posted:

How the hell does one beat the fight with the salvemaker, the summoner, the wizard and [the sage?] in Ch. 8 in the tower? I keep getting reset to fire-weak and I have no chance to re-reset the weakness before I get steamrolled. Even giant-salved allies with 2x HP get nuked in one turn.

I've tried a BP-battery spirit guy who can stop elemental damage, but the enemy salves just void the effect.

Fire Bane can't overwrite Stillness.

You can also debuff Qada's speed to ensure he goes last so you can reset the weakness at the start of your turn.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Just started Chapter 6. I've pieced together how to get both endings, so I have two questions:

2) Can I safely skip chapter 6's sidequests, or do they start getting brutal then and not chapter 7/8?

Feel free to skip the sidequests. However, keep going with the story until you meet a character and get access to the final job. After this, feel free to access the ending you can get now. After you're done with the ending, go ahead to Chapter 7 and do all the sidequests, since they're so different.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

A small number change slightly between chapters 5 and 6, or based on the order you do them in or other small factors, but only do them if you like the fights.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Terper posted:

Feel free to skip the sidequests. However, keep going with the story until you meet a character and get access to the final job. After this, feel free to access the ending you can get now. After you're done with the ending, go ahead to Chapter 7 and do all the sidequests, since they're so different.
Perfect, thank you. I assume the final job is to Yulyana what Vampire is to DeRosso, so I'm kind of looking forward to that boss fight, especially if there's a tag-team in Chapter 7/8.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Perfect, thank you. I assume the final job is to Yulyana what Vampire is to DeRosso, so I'm kind of looking forward to that boss fight, especially if there's a tag-team in Chapter 7/8.

Chapter 7 and Chapter 8 get crazy. Even if you're pretty confident in your team, at least one of them is going to catch you off guard.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Man, I wish I had found out how good Sleep is in this game before the final sidequest.

Sleep is really good in this game.

Edit: Bwahahaha, the superboss is The Adventurer and his little fox pal, that's great! I love that.

...And he's also a loving badass holy poo poo :stare:

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 17, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wait, status effects don't suck in this game? Because I've been avoiding them like the plague.

And yeah, the superboss is pretty great.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wait, status effects don't suck in this game? Because I've been avoiding them like the plague.

They're pretty useful, especially since the level-2 rod special move can make enemies vulnerable to a specific ailment, and every direct-damage special move can have an ailment set on it. Make a boss vulnerable to Stop, hit it with special moves that inflict Stop, get a few free turns to kick its rear end.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Edit: Bwahahaha, the superboss is The Adventurer and his little fox pal, that's great! I love that.

...And he's also a loving badass holy poo poo :stare:

When do you get to fight the hidden boss? I went through the extra dungeon and got durandal and never had to fight him.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
Okay I've run into a little problem while autobattling my way through a dungeon. I've got Edea as a Pirate/Swordsman with Knuckle Lore and abusing the Free Lunch + Amped Strike combo. The issue is if I brave four times, use Free Lunch and three Amped Strikes and then leave that set on auto battle for random encounters, she'll just do Amped Strike once and do two regular attacks if I leave it on Auto. It's annoying, is there any way to fix that other then manually picking her attacks for every encounter?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Hommando posted:

When do you get to fight the hidden boss? I went through the extra dungeon and got durandal and never had to fight him.

Secret passage in the wall just past the chest with Durandal.

Party in the UAE
Sep 10, 2012

by XyloJW

Strange Quark posted:

Fire Bane can't overwrite Stillness.

You can also debuff Qada's speed to ensure he goes last so you can reset the weakness at the start of your turn.

How do you attach through stillness? Just bdefault during, brave the poo poo out of things when its up, and have your slow spirit master do it again at the end?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Party in the UAE posted:

How do you attach through stillness? Just bdefault during, brave the poo poo out of things when its up, and have your slow spirit master do it again at the end?

That's the basic idea, yeah. It helps to have a BP battery like a Performer with My Hero or a Red Mage with Poison plus BP Recovery on the whole party, to guarantee that everyone's full up on BP on the turns when you get to attack.

Also, ideally your Spiritmaster will be slower than the rest of your party but still faster than the enemy.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
Are there any really good resources for this game? I just picked it up today and I'm concerned that I might totally misunderstand a mechanic, forget what gear is best for each job, etc.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Doctor Albatross posted:

Are there any really good resources for this game? I just picked it up today and I'm concerned that I might totally misunderstand a mechanic, forget what gear is best for each job, etc.

The in-game documentation is really good. There's a button you can press for more information.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

planetarial posted:

Okay I've run into a little problem while autobattling my way through a dungeon. I've got Edea as a Pirate/Swordsman with Knuckle Lore and abusing the Free Lunch + Amped Strike combo. The issue is if I brave four times, use Free Lunch and three Amped Strikes and then leave that set on auto battle for random encounters, she'll just do Amped Strike once and do two regular attacks if I leave it on Auto. It's annoying, is there any way to fix that other then manually picking her attacks for every encounter?

Nope! It's a quirk of the auto-battle system. It doesn't take into account prior actions negating costs, so when it sees you about to run out of MP it 'helpfully' changes the pre-recorded action to a regular attack. Just put Edea in front, manually set her actions and then auto-battle the rest of your characters.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Doctor Albatross posted:

I had the same concerns when I first started playing, but you pick it up pretty quick. The in game manual is a good resource too.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Doctor Albatross posted:

Just gently caress around, level up, and have fun.

Anyone think that despite the tedium in parts that this is the best FF game in for loving ever? I love the job system and loving around, finding new classes, exploring new poo poo. Even grinding is fun if you find broken rear end ways to wipe enemies in one round. I also appreciate that starting at the tail end of Chapter 6, side bosses started being really challenging in an interesting way.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Chump Farts posted:

Anyone think that despite the tedium in parts that this is the best FF game in for loving ever?

I've heard good things about A Realm Reborn.

But as far as not MMO goes, yes, absolutely.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Why do some nemeses take far less damage from magic than their low magic defense stat would suggest?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Magic kinda sucks in BD.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Not when you've got a Natural Talent / Knuckle Lore / Phantom Weapon user, who can usually hit the damage cap no questions asked with level 1 spells, never mind the good stuff.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I've had Tiz be a dedicated offensive Caster the entire game and he pulls his weight just fine. He pretty much wipes out Random Encounters instantly and can easily hit every enemy on the field with Damage Cap hitting Sacrifices once they get poisoned.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Is the performer ability Buff Up worth using? I've gotten great milage out of having a performer constantly buff everyone during boss fights, but having everyone fully buffed in everything and staying that way after five turns while freeing up the ex-performer to attack as well sounds like a good deal, even with the hefty investment of 2 support points. Is there a catch or is it really worth it?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Buff Up is incredible against bosses (unless you're dying a lot or they use moves with Dispel effects), but I often find it hard to find the slots for it.

Janana
May 17, 2009

Diamondbacks Baseball: Injuries and Futility R Us
The power of an endgame build:

Ringabel - Spiritmaster/White Mage. Stillness, Fairy Ward, and occasionally Enigma depending on the abilities of your targets.

Edea - Thief/Salve-Maker, gotta yoink 'em all. Godspeed Strike and various Compounds, sometimes starting out with a few rounds of Steal or Shake Down if you're looking to get loot.

Agnes - Dark Knight/Spell Fencer. Drain, Rage, occasionally use an item to heal somebody up if they managed to get scratched when Stillness was down.

Tiz - Performer/Freelancer. My Hero/Mimic/Mimic/Mimic occasionally gets boring, but it's the engine that makes the rest of the finely honed killing machine effective.

Crush everything in your path? Don't mind if I do!

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Is there a way to tri-class? I have Agnes as white mage/time mage with the black mage group cast all. Reraise all is great, but with still kind of needing angelic ward to prevent the occasional oops, her healing power is down and that hurts her mp. I'd love to swap time mage for salve maker or spirit master, but reraise all is so great.

I do have Edea as a Knight/Templar, so it kind of helps keep Agnes alive, but in the Chapter 7 fights, I feel like lucky Angelic Wards has really made a poo poo ton of difference.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Chump Farts posted:

Is there a way to tri-class? I have Agnes as white mage/time mage with the black mage group cast all. Reraise all is great, but with still kind of needing angelic ward to prevent the occasional oops, her healing power is down and that hurts her mp. I'd love to swap time mage for salve maker or spirit master, but reraise all is so great.

I do have Edea as a Knight/Templar, so it kind of helps keep Agnes alive, but in the Chapter 7 fights, I feel like lucky Angelic Wards has really made a poo poo ton of difference.

The closest you can get to triple classes is with the support abilities.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The closest you can get to triple classes is with the support abilities.

Is there a better way to get reraise all? Should I just do group cast all and get holy one or the salve maker boost? I feel like if I grind to 99 I'll survive, but having to curaga each turn hurts my mp and rejuvenate is starting to lose its luster.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Group-Cast All works best on a Red Mage with Time Magic. They should be casting buffs and ailments (pro tip: use Status Effect Amp too) full-time, but they can still drop a Meteor if you need offense. This character should not be your primary healer.

Salve-Maker has better synergy with Spiritism than White Mage does, because Convert BP is basically free for a character who can mix up a Dry Ether.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Chump Farts posted:

Is there a better way to get reraise all? Should I just do group cast all and get holy one or the salve maker boost? I feel like if I grind to 99 I'll survive, but having to curaga each turn hurts my mp and rejuvenate is starting to lose its luster.

By the end of the game, even cura groupcast would often be sufficient; curada after a wipe or something. You sure you need to really be using curaga all that often? Consider boosting the mind stat of your healer using appropriate gear.

E:
As for what you're doing, you don't even need re-raises thrown across your team unless you have incredibly specific speed needs. Raise is generally going to be sufficient, groupcast in response to disaster. If you're paranoid, you can item-based reraise on Agnes using salvemaker, and even support in the ability to do a full team raise if she dies (that'll trigger once per battle).

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 20, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Chump Farts posted:

Salve-maker gets Resurrect, which is the same as Reraise all, but it doesn't need Group Cast All or MP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Chronojam posted:

By the end of the game, even cura groupcast would often be sufficient; curada after a wipe or something. You sure you need to really be using curaga all that often? Consider boosting the mind stat of your healer using appropriate gear.

E:
As for what you're doing, you don't even need re-raises thrown across your team unless you have incredibly specific speed needs. Raise is generally going to be sufficient, groupcast in response to disaster. If you're paranoid, you can item-based reraise on Agnes using salvemaker, and even support in the ability to do a full team raise if she dies (that'll trigger once per battle).

I'm level 75, is this a set-up I should have by now? I'm also in Chapter 7 and doing pretty well in fights, but I know Chapter 8 is going to really push things.

• Locked thread