Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

Shocking absolutely no one, Ezra Klein is wrong.

Nah, Meereen = Iraq it works well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

So who is Quentyn?

Mitt Romney. Rich son who would be no-body without his dad, set up to be the next ruler, ignored by Bush/Dany, kind of lame but not aggressively repellent, flames out spectacularly, and isn't missed by anyone outside his immediate family.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You're all forgetting the important question: Who's Hodor?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This would mean that Cheney is Barristan. Not sure about Jorah. Rumsfeld maybe? Holy poo poo this is such an awful derail and I love it anyway.

Good Citizen posted:

I'm mostly just surprised that Daenerys is anyone's favorite character

Unfortunately there are way more babies named "Khaleesi" than "Arya" or "Tyrion" or "Syrio". :(

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Radish posted:

Mitt Romney. Set up to be the next ruler, kind of lame but not aggressively repellent, flames out spectacularly, and isn't missed by anyone outside his immediate family.

Pretty perfect actually :mitt: sums Quentyn up.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

Bob Dole, duh.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BOBDOLE.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 17, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Radish posted:

Mitt Romney. Rich son who would be no-body without his dad, set up to be the next ruler, ignored by Bush/Dany, kind of lame but not aggressively repellent, flames out spectacularly, and isn't missed by anyone outside his immediate family.

Counterpoint: Dorne owns.

hobbesmaster posted:

Nah, Meereen = Iraq it works well enough.

Sure, but I think the "finish what was started the last generation aspect makes GWB a dead ringer for Aegon Targaryen.

haveblue posted:

Giuliani. "9/11".

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Warszawa posted:

Counterpoint: Dorne owns.

Dorne indeed owns but Quentyn seemed like he missed out on the awesome gene his father, uncle, sister and cousins got sadly.

The Warszawa posted:

Giuliani. "9/11".

Haha

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 17, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

Giuliani. "9/11".

Ha, nice.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
ASOIAF is actually a really overrated series, and GRRM is a lovely author. Don't read it.

So, with the Voting Rights Act neutered, segregation coming back and some Republican states trying to disenfranchise minorities... this isn't going to end well, is it? :ohdear:

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention ...." - Paul "Ramsay Snow Bolton" Ryan

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Nothing ever ends, Adrian Torrannor. Nothing ever ends.

wait gently caress wrong property

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Nothing on these last two pages makes any sense at all to me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

LGD posted:

Nothing ever ends, Adrian Torrannor. Nothing ever ends.

wait gently caress wrong property
But the best message to take from that comic, I'd say.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

haveblue posted:

Wolf Blitzer :wow:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Warszawa posted:

Pretty sure that a group nicknamed the White Walkers can't be anything but the Tea Party.

A fair point except that Tea Party members don't actually walk anywhere. No rascal scooters in Westeros.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
Cheney is unquestionably Tywin Lannister of Halliburton Rock.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

loquacius posted:

Unfortunately there are way more babies named "Khaleesi" than "Arya" or "Tyrion" or "Syrio". :(

Speaking of which.

quote:

Sending a signal of partisan identity carries greater expressive benefit, but also greater expected cost, for members of the public when they are more exposed to adherents of the other party. To see whether the cost or the benefit dominates in the decision to send partisan signals, this article considers partisan signals sent by names of newborns, particularly girls named “Reagan,” in US state-years from 1976 to 2011. Results indicate that the benefits of expressing identity increase more than do costs in the face of a large out-group: higher proportions of Democrats in a state increase the relationship between Republican populations and the tendency to name daughters “Reagan.”

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A fair point except that Tea Party members don't actually walk anywhere. No rascal scooters in Westeros.

Wasn't there a fat guy at the Kingsmoot who had his servants carry him around on a thing? The Tea Party are all that guy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Don't do it! Stay back! Baaaack!

(The problem with GoT is that they're actually fairly well written, especially by the common standards of fantasy doorstoppers, but Martin is both abusive to his readers and indolent to the point that he will die before the series is finished).

So, you're saying this will turn out exactly like Wheel of Time?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

I gather GRRM has provided HBO with an outline for at least a conclusion to the storyline in case he dies, ascends to Wiener Heaven, and HBO is left finishing up the series on their own. So there's that at least.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AlternateNu posted:

Basically yes, but probably worse, if only because Jordan had already written more than 3/4ths of the series and had relatively complete notes for the rest, whereas the impression I get from Martin is that we're barely halfway through the books at this point.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

McAlister posted:

Cheney is unquestionably Tywin Lannister of Halliburton Rock.
Except for the whole paying off the debt thing.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Basically yes, but probably worse, if only because Jordan had already written more than 3/4ths of the series and had relatively complete notes for the rest, whereas the impression I get from Martin is that we're barely halfway through the books at this point.

At this point I'd be happy (and more optimistic) with him handing it off to Joe Abercrombie with no notes to go on.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I went to Trader Joes yesterday and the person working the checkout lane was named Arya.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The Republican equivalent of Obama phones? Guns, of course:

New York Times posted:

Hand over your email address to a political campaign, and typically all you can expect in return is an endless stream of solicitations for money.

But one supporter of Greg Brophy, a state senator who ran for governor in Colorado, got something else: a Smith & Wesson M&P15 rifle.

It was the top prize in “Greg Brophy’s Gun Club Giveaway,” an online contest last month in which people handed over personal information that is the currency of modern political campaigns — first and last names, email addresses and phone numbers — and in exchange, one lucky winner would get the gun.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ufarn posted:

The Republican equivalent of Obama phones? Guns, of course:

Wasn't this literally a satire piece on the Onion? A handgun for every constituent or something.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I too am thoroughly shocked that a political campaign would use a raffle of a politically charged item to raise funds and collect the information of potential supporters.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

Pretty sure that a group nicknamed the White Walkers can't be anything but the Tea Party.

Want to empty quote this, but for content:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

So who's the politician who shits everywhere while on their period?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Saagonsa posted:

Ted Cruz. e: Actually, probably Louie Gohmert.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Saagonsa posted:

Cheney

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

loquacius posted:

:aaa: Holy poo poo I'm sold. (It makes even more sense if you've read Book 5.)

Why is that? I only have a passing knowledge of this series.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Officially over 8 million on exchanges now. Obama is smug as gently caress in his press conference, really getting some good lines in.

Called out States that didn't expand Medicaid as "no more than political spite"

Edit: And dumbledore was there also Bilbo baggins, there now maybe someone will read the actual political news post.

greatn fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 17, 2014

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Can't we just go back to arguing about which state makes the best BBQ sauce again? It's getting a bit :tvtropes: in here.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

LGD posted:

I too am thoroughly shocked that a political campaign would use a raffle of a politically charged item to raise funds and collect the information of potential supporters.

Yeah it's actually brilliant. A thousand dollar investment and tons of free publicity.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Check in this morning: :ughh: GoT chat.

Check in this afternoon: :ughh::ughh:

Until Rand Paul gets owned with a shield please please spare me.

You'll never convince me that isn't Richard B. #2 down there. That's the smile of a man with nothing to hide.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

SedanChair posted:

You'll never convince me that isn't Richard B. #2 down there. That's the smile of a man with nothing to hide.

You are a huge bummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SedanChair posted:

It's a literal sack of poo poo. With a colostomy bag in his pants.

• Locked thread