Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

coconono posted:

I'm reading the first trade of Earth-2 and its pretty good. Feels a lot more fleshed out than a lot of the new52 stuff.

Yeah Earth 2 has been solid for it's entire run so far. I was kind of scared when Robinson left but Taylor has been killing it ever since. It's one of the best books DC is putting out right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Speaking of...

Third weekly series revealed: "Earth 2: World's End"

Running parallel to Future's End, so I'm guessing this takes place 5 years later on Earth 2. Writers include Tom Taylor, Daniel Wilson, Paul Levitz, Mike Johnson, and Marguerite Bennett.

The adult new Superman looks thoroughly badass. Even with some of the talent being mediocre, I'd much rather spend my money on this than Batman Eternal.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Are these full priced weeklies or $0.99 digital weeklies?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I wonder if that promo image means Kara and Helena are going to be returning to Earth-2 at some point during this all. Their comic together is pretty enjoyable and I'd hate to see it go.

Endless Mike posted:

Are these full priced weeklies or $0.99 digital weeklies?

Judging by Eternal being 2.99, I'd say full price. None of these are on the digital line up (which is pretty awesome by the way).

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

lotus circle posted:

I wonder if that promo image means Kara and Helena are going to be returning to Earth-2 at some point during this all. Their comic together is pretty enjoyable and I'd hate to see it go.
The interview definitely sounds like this takes place 5 years from now in the DCU, so they're probably anticipating them going back sometime regardless, but given sales of the series it would really surprise me if the title was still around in 5 years worth of continuity anyway. This is them hedging their bets for story, while still anticipating what is probably the inevitable.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is really feasible for DC to maintain three weekly series in addition to their monthly line up? Heck, is even a good idea to have three weekly series running at the same time?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is really feasible for DC to maintain three weekly series in addition to their monthly line up? Heck, is even a good idea to have three weekly series running at the same time?

No

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They can count each book as 4 monthlies and thus eliminate 12 lovely selling books and still maintain the "New 52" bullshit.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm in on Futures End already for the Lemire and Azarello, Batman Eternal I'm already liking and I'll do this too. Sure. I'll get all the comics ever.

Rhyno posted:

They can count each book as 4 monthlies and thus eliminate 12 lovely selling books and still maintain the "New 52" bullshit.

When was the last time they had exactly 52 comics out?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 17, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.newsarama.com/20873-first-look-the-new-52-futures-end-2-4-covers.html

Covers for Future's End 2 through 4.

Nothing too interesting aside of GA confirmed as killed on issue 2 and a swole as gently caress Mr Terrific on issue 3

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

HorseRenoir posted:

How do two pages of Future's End chat pass by and no one brings this up?

It's like DC was trying to one-up Joker's severed face in the "bafflingly disgusting ideas" contest.

I sort of like this, but I don't quite get why she has hair.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Ears are are hard to draw, man.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Teenage Fansub posted:

When was the last time they had exactly 52 comics out?

Who really cares at this point?

I think most people would rather they just focused on having a more diverse roster of quality books instead of hitting this magic number that means almost nothing in terms of quality.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So what's the deal with The Joker's Daughter? Is it Dullea Dent or what's going on and why the hate?

I've been behind on New 52, in that I have a bunch of trades I've been meaning to get to and just haven't had a chance and in the case of the batman books I got am really hesitant to start them. Since I read the Suicide Squad and Batgirl prelude into Death of the Family and I had to stop because it was just bad and they implied threat of rape of Batgirl really put me of. And that's been my sole impression of New 52.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Does anyone remember the death of superman series from a few years ago? That was an interesting set.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

KomradeX posted:

So what's the deal with The Joker's Daughter? Is it Dullea Dent or what's going on and why the hate?

I've been behind on New 52, in that I have a bunch of trades I've been meaning to get to and just haven't had a chance and in the case of the batman books I got am really hesitant to start them. Since I read the Suicide Squad and Batgirl prelude into Death of the Family and I had to stop because it was just bad and they implied threat of rape of Batgirl really put me of. And that's been my sole impression of New 52.

Wait, what are you talking about? :psyduck:

And you choose the worst books to read during the Death of the Family crossover. SS writer back then pretty much rebelled against Snyder and did his own thing (almost looked like out of spite) he was removed shortly from the title and no one has picked up his plots. Batgirl was only DRAMA about Barbara and her Joker related traumas.

I'm not a fan of Snyder's work on Batman but everyone else claims is really freaking good.

Joker's Daughter is an anonymous crazy poser that mutilate herself and sew Joker's discarded face into her own just to feel important...or something like that, is pretty dumb.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And you choose the worst books to read during the Death of the Family crossover. SS writer back then pretty much rebelled against Snyder and did his own thing (almost looked like out of spite) he was removed shortly from the title and no one has picked up his plots. Batgirl was only DRAMA about Barbara and her Joker related traumas.

As someone who has been reading Suicide Squad from the beginning I am kind of curious about what you mean by this.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Madkal posted:

As someone who has been reading Suicide Squad from the beginning I am kind of curious about what you mean by this.

Snyder's take on Harley derailed any arc Glass had in mind with her (he was setting up a Harley/Deadshot realtionship after all) and Glass' Joker was even more of an rear end in a top hat that Snyder's. But the thing made thought of him going against the whole crossover is the multiple Harleys thing he capped off his tie-in with.

Simone was also on a similar state since she was even replaced for an issue after the tie-ins but she managed to keep the book while Glass didn't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The Joker may have raped Barbara after he shot her.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

That implication was there since 'The Killing Joke' isn't it? I don't remember nothing giving credence to that on DOTF.

EDIT:

http://www.newsarama.com/20891-meet-superdoom-the-monster-of-steel-in-july-s-action-comics-33.html

This can't be real. SUPERDOOM: THE MONSTER OF STEEL

I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 18, 2014

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Rhyno posted:

Hasn't the author specifically said that he didn't? Though that wouldn't really jive with the Joker was trying to do plus DC's willingness to go down that road.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

http://www.newsarama.com/20891-meet-superdoom-the-monster-of-steel-in-july-s-action-comics-33.html

This can't be real. SUPERDOOM: THE MONSTER OF STEEL

I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

It's too bad this Doomed crossover is disrupting Pak's Action Comics, because I've really been enjoying it so far. I think he's done a good job of capturing the non-jerk personality of the pre-nu52 Superman. I think I even remember him responding to a few people on tumblr that basically said they're going to stop buying Action during Doomed, and pick it up again when it concludes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

KomradeX posted:

Don't let that poo poo put you off. Batman, Batman Incorporated and Batman and Robin are really good.
Also, Death of The Family wasn't a fantastic event all up, but Zero Year (the next storyline) in Batman has been great.

horsepeen posted:

I even remember him responding to a few people on tumblr that basically said they're going to stop buying Action during Doomed, and pick it up again when it concludes.

I remember him telling people they shouldn't skip issues because Lana and ghost soldier guy and all that were continuing through.
But he's usually like, 'Do what you feel is right ;-)"

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 18, 2014

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Trast posted:

Hasn't the author specifically said that he didn't? Though that wouldn't really jive with the Joker was trying to do plus DC's willingness to go down that road.

Jibe, the word is jibe.

And yeah I do think Moore said he didn't. It's still pretty much a sexual assault though, since he stripped her and took photos of her posed and helpless.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Doesn't it also end with Batman maybe killing The Joker, or was that Grant Morrisson spitting nonsense at Kevin Smith?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Inkspot posted:

Doesn't it also end with Batman maybe killing The Joker, or was that Grant Morrisson spitting nonsense at Kevin Smith?

Maybe KISSING the Joker.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inkspot posted:

That was absolute nonsense. People checked Moore's script and there is no mention of it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Inkspot posted:

I don't know where that came from. The ending is just the two of them laughing at a joke and Batman looking like he's about to choke Joker, but Killing Joke is in continuity so that didn't happen.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I think that's where it was extrapolated from. Batman would never laugh at The Joker, and the last panel is black, etc, etc.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

That was absolute nonsense. People checked Moore's script and there is no mention of it.

The artist has hinted at it, and I would trust Morrison to have put some thought into it. I like it, and if it was some Elseworlds story then it's a fitting end to both Batman and Joker.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Codependent Poster posted:

The artist has hinted at it, and I would trust Morrison to have put some thought into it. I like it, and if it was some Elseworlds story then it's a fitting end to both Batman and Joker.

Morrison says a lot of poo poo, not all of it has some thought behind it

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Not to be an rear end but why it should matter what Morrison thinks about the Killing Joke? He didn't write it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Not to be an rear end but why it should matter what Morrison thinks about the Killing Joke? He didn't write it.

Because it provides an interesting theory to someone else's work regardless of whether you agree with it or not. Basically what you said dismisses all criticism and discussion about other people's work.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Madkal posted:

Because it provides an interesting theory to someone else's work regardless of whether you agree with it or not. Basically what you said dismisses all criticism and discussion about other people's work.
I think what DT meant is that Morrison's interpretation doesn't matter more than anyone else's.

Which is good because Batman totally kissed the Joker, not killed him.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Madkal posted:

Well you said it, a theory but everytime that comes up everyone takes it like gospel just because it was Morrison who said it.

I should've been more clear with my previous post.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Just like Batman going for the liplock, Grant Morrison capitalized on a shining golden opportunity to take the piss out of Kevin Smith the Terrible Comics Man.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Just like Batman going for the liplock, Grant Morrison capitalized on a shining golden opportunity to take the piss out of Kevin Smith the Terrible Comics Man.

This was my automatic assumption. I mean, who wouldn't?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Chaos Hippy posted:

This was my automatic assumption. I mean, who wouldn't?

I think that any human being who payed money for Evil That Men Do would jump at the chance.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Was Taters posted:

Jibe, the word is jibe.

And yeah I do think Moore said he didn't. It's still pretty much a sexual assault though, since he stripped her and took photos of her posed and helpless.

Don't look down on me because I speak jive. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
According to DiDio, the weeklies won't all be a year long.

quote:

Batman Eternal started this April and runs to next March after which it takes a brief hiatus, Futures End starts this May and ends the last week of March 2015, and Worlds End starts in October and ends the same week as the others next March, hope that clears things up.

It's a bit odd that everything lines up to end by April. Yet another line-wide event?

• Locked thread