Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DammitJanet posted:

Oh yes. I learned my lesson last year. It didn't help that my local shop (we have several in Nashville, but I prefer the one a block from my house) wasn't limiting people's purchases. This year I asked them and another big shop if they would be limiting, and they said they've pledged to do so. Just the same I'd rather get there early, get what I want and then enjoy the festivities and maybe then go back to sleep. :) Last year I was 50 people back when I got there and everything I wanted was gone, so I just went home.

That's really dumb. I guess I understand why people don't like rsd if that's the experience. I can almost smell the combination of fatass eBay ghouls and smug music dorks 50 deep in line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I got to my shop more than an hour before they opened last year. There were at LEAST 100 people in front of me. Dudes at the front of the line had been there since 4am. By the time I finally got inside (an hour and a half AFTER doors opened) I went 0/10 on poo poo I wanted.

Never doing RSD again.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Kevar posted:

Never doing RSD again.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

JehovahsWetness posted:

There's been a shitload more pre-flipping this year: http://www.binfrenzy.com/search/?query=rsd+2014

(Wizard of Oz, really? RSD is straight up terrible.)

$50 for the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack. Hoping I manage to get one Saturday and I don't have to pay something obscene like that for it afterwards (or just not get it because gently caress that)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

They're pressing Scott Pilgrim AGAIN? That can't be of any real value.

EDIT: Check discogs. $42 original, $25 repress. gently caress RSD.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

a worthy uhh posted:

They're pressing Scott Pilgrim AGAIN? That can't be of any real value.

EDIT: Check discogs. $42 original, $25 repress. gently caress RSD.

It's the soundtrack to the video game, not the movie. This is the first it's being pressed.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kevar posted:

It's the soundtrack to the video game, not the movie. This is the first it's being pressed.

That's even worse.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

BigFactory posted:

That's even worse.

Awww, give it a listen! It's actually better than you'd think. Unless you hate chiptune (with rock instruments mixed in)...

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DammitJanet posted:

Awww, give it a listen! It's actually better than you'd think. Unless you hate chiptune (with rock instruments mixed in)...

Chiptune is the definition of something that I could listen to on youtube and never wait in line for or spend 28 American dollars on.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

BigFactory posted:

Chiptune is the definition of something that I could listen to on youtube and never wait in line for or spend 28 American dollars on.

$28? I thought that google doc from several pages back said $17.99...

Oh well. Whatever I'm there to get; if it's too expensive when I get to the counter, I just won't buy it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I just really want that remastered 'best of' double album with rarities Xiu Xiu is putting out.

But apparently it's limited to 100-500 copies worldwide? gently caress.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DammitJanet posted:

$28? I thought that google doc from several pages back said $17.99...

Oh well. Whatever I'm there to get; if it's too expensive when I get to the counter, I just won't buy it.

I was just throwing a dart at the board.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

BigFactory posted:

I was just throwing a dart at the board.

Well if it retails at $18, there's a pretty good chance most stores will mark it up to at least $28

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.
I like having a local record shop, where I know the owner / workers on a first-name basis.
They hold whatever I want for RSD, and I never have to worry about it being sold. They also usually have extra copies afterwards.
poo poo, I just got back and the person working right now just gave me 2 free albums (both only pressed 150; hand numbered) and 2 free 7"s (the same single, but 150 pressings per color: blue and splatter grey. He gave me both). Albeit, one was his band's album, and the others were his friends 'n what-not, but drat they sound really good.
I genuinely feel sorry for whoever doesn't live in Southern California / California in general, haha.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that there are some items coming out on RSD that aren't listed on their website.
I know there's a Dinosaur Jr. box set (don't worry, it's 5x7"; only $25) and some Nirvana album.

ONE LAST THING. Have you guys heard about that fuckin' drama happening over at some record store called Burger Records? Apparently what they're doing is calling up bands and asking if they can press one of their albums on cassette (of all formats). If they get the okay, they'll press all of the band's albums without permission. Real shady poo poo.
Also, cassette? Really?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

3dou posted:

Also, cassette? Really?

In the record stores I frequent they have whole cassette shelves because everyone cool is putting out cassettes nowadays, but I guess the trend hasn't reached California yet. Isn't that somewhere near Australia?

Oh and for content I bought this and something that isn't on YouTube today.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

3dou posted:

ONE LAST THING. Have you guys heard about that fuckin' drama happening over at some record store called Burger Records? Apparently what they're doing is calling up bands and asking if they can press one of their albums on cassette (of all formats). If they get the okay, they'll press all of the band's albums without permission. Real shady poo poo.
Also, cassette? Really?

yr not going to link to anything about this?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

3dou posted:

I like having a local record shop, where I know the owner / workers on a first-name basis.
They hold whatever I want for RSD, and I never have to worry about it being sold. They also usually have extra copies afterwards.
poo poo, I just got back and the person working right now just gave me 2 free albums (both only pressed 150; hand numbered) and 2 free 7"s (the same single, but 150 pressings per color: blue and splatter grey. He gave me both). Albeit, one was his band's album, and the others were his friends 'n what-not, but drat they sound really good.
I genuinely feel sorry for whoever doesn't live in Southern California / California in general, haha.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that there are some items coming out on RSD that aren't listed on their website.
I know there's a Dinosaur Jr. box set (don't worry, it's 5x7"; only $25) and some Nirvana album.

Also, cassette? Really?

Cassettes own, I buy them all the time (straight from the artists or their label, because gently caress record stores generally). Usually they are by bands you've never heard of, or haven't hit California / Southern California yet.

alg fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 17, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

3dou posted:

Also, cassette? Really?

Got more info on this?

Ras Het posted:

Finnish sounds like a really good language for hardcore.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

Ras Het posted:

In the record stores I frequent they have whole cassette shelves because everyone cool is putting out cassettes nowadays, but I guess the trend hasn't reached California yet. Isn't that somewhere near Australia?

No I understand that cassettes are making a comeback 'n all, but they don't even bother to press anything on record. Just cassette.
Their record selection is pretty whack, too. All overpriced 'n what-not.

stay depressed posted:

yr not going to link to anything about this?

It's on the down-low right now. People are more or less just starting to notice it.
I know there's some sort of fake tumblr about it called "burglar records" where it basically just mocks them. Wish I could find it.

alg posted:

Cassettes own, I buy them all the time (straight from the artists or their label, because gently caress record stores generally). Usually they are by bands you've never heard of, or haven't hit California / Southern California yet.

Again, cassettes are cool, but the label / store I'm talking about in particular does cassettes and cassettes alone just to hop on the bandwagon (and money).

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I don't know about this particular place's business ideals, but there's just a loving lot of guys around who are like 1) it wouldn't make any loving economic sense to press records 2) no one buys CDRs 3) cassettes are cheap, so, uhh? As if there was $$$ in it.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
so did you just hear about burger today or are you making a bunch of assumptions about a well-known, long-standing and respected tape label with nothing to show as proof?

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

Ras Het posted:

I don't know about this particular place's business ideals, but there's just a loving lot of guys around who are like 1) it wouldn't make any loving economic sense to press records 2) no one buys CDRs 3) cassettes are cheap, so, uhh? As if there was $$$ in it.

They're also just dumb in general actually.
They refuse to buy any new vinyl. They only have original pressings for whatever reason, and they won't order any for you. They also sell $1 records for $6, for example.

stay depressed posted:

so did you just hear about burger today or are you making a bunch of assumptions about a well-known and respected tape label with nothing to show as proof?

They've always had a bad rep down here. It's just gotten worse.
Though I can't find any evidence online. I could probably ask one of the bands about it, but who knows how long it'd take to contact any of them.

3dou fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 17, 2014

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
yeah im going to go ahead and disregard this entirely. sounds like you're full of poo poo.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

stay depressed posted:

yeah im going to go ahead and disregard this entirely. sounds like you're full of poo poo.

Don't blame you.
Should have just left it as a rumor and talked about it when more evidence appears.

But I'll get some eventually.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
http://burglar-records.tumblr.com/post/82644831420/welcome-to-burglar-records-where-we-ask-bands-who#notes

it seems like you misunderstood this entirely. this post (which the burger tumblr replied to in a pretty jokey way it seems) says that burger allegedly contacted a band and put out a cassette release of a record that another label had already released without contacting the original label. that's a pretty weak complaint considering this is how all tape labels operate. the label, especially in the DIY community, doesn't typically own or lay claim on the source material for a band's releases. the artists are normally free to have other labels put out that same material on different formats as much as they want. burger is under no obligation to contact or inform other labels that they're pressing the same release on cassette if they have the artists permission.

this post makes no mention of putting out releases without asking the band.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

stay depressed posted:

http://burglar-records.tumblr.com/post/82644831420/welcome-to-burglar-records-where-we-ask-bands-who#notes

it seems like you misunderstood this entirely. this post (which the burger tumblr replied to in a pretty jokey way it seems) says that burger allegedly contacted a band and put out a cassette release of a record that another label had already released without contacting the original label. that's a pretty weak complaint considering this is how all tape labels operate. the label, especially in the DIY community, doesn't typically own or lay claim on the source material for a band's releases. the artists are normally free to have other labels put out that same material on different formats as much as they want. burger is under no obligation to contact or inform other labels that they're pressing the same release on cassette if they have the artists permission.

this post makes no mention of putting out releases without asking the band.

Dang, and that's why I asked.
Thanks for the clarification.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

So is it pretty much safe to assume you will never get what you want at RSD unless you're the first few people in? The only two I want are Chvrches Recovery EP (which apparently is going to be popular), and School Of Seven Bells last recorded music that is limited to like 300 copies.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

Khorne Flakes posted:

So is it pretty much safe to assume you will never get what you want at RSD unless you're the first few people in? The only two I want are Chvrches Recovery EP (which apparently is going to be popular), and School Of Seven Bells last recorded music that is limited to like 300 copies.

Not only that, but if it's a limited pressing, your record store might not even get it.
Also, School of Seven Bells is usually pressed by Ghostly International. They'll probably press it again if you can't get it.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I'm a big fan of 60's garage/psych stuff and got two albums this week that I've been wanting for a while :sun:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Pre-Axelrod Prunes, very nice!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Khorne Flakes posted:

Like 3dou said, not every store gets everything. If you're going to go, don't make a shopping list and get weepy if they don't have what you want. Just pick out a couple of cool things and have fun with it.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

BigFactory posted:

fun with it.

Wait what is this "Fun" thing you're talking about?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Personperson14 posted:

Wait what is this "Fun" thing you're talking about?

Does it come in a limited edition colour?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Does anyone know how good the 2010 re-release of 'In the Court of the Crimson King' is? I've been meaning to get that album up for a while, and that's the version which I could get without much hassle/patience. They're advertizing it as a '200g audiophile pressing', though, which sets of my bullshit detector.

dalaamprince
Jul 16, 2008
No but seriously where do I buy Pure Moods tomorrow?

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

Badly Jester posted:

Does anyone know how good the 2010 re-release of 'In the Court of the Crimson King' is? I've been meaning to get that album up for a while, and that's the version which I could get without much hassle/patience. They're advertizing it as a '200g audiophile pressing', though, which sets of my bullshit detector.

I bought it because my druggie friend stole my old copy and sold it for weed money. He went to rehab 'n all that; we still hang out.
I also bought an 80's repress to compare the two.

The remaster is pretty well done, actually. They did a good job on it.

dalaamprince posted:

No but seriously where do I buy Pure Moods tomorrow?

Your local record store, and hope they have it.
If not, buy it on discogs in a few months.
People will be selling RSD albums for mucho bucks on RSD. I remember seeing that BtBaM The Anatomy Of album going for like $50 when I bought it for $27. A couple of months later, it dropped to $33. Now it's $30.
Just be patient.

3dou fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 18, 2014

dalaamprince
Jul 16, 2008

3dou posted:

Your local record store, and hope they have it.

Kinda hoping you were going to direct me to a website. Something tells me no sane shop owner ordered this.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
while i wanted to believe for a very long time i dont think that pure moods release from DG is real

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

stay depressed posted:

while i wanted to believe for a very long time i dont think that pure moods release from DG is real
/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Don't do this.

stay depressed posted:

Yeah I wanted it to be real but when someone pointed out the volume it really didn't make any sense