Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Rexicon1 posted:

Please, someone post something dumb the right did.

Having an opinion on a subject generally, disqualifies you from ever serving as judge specifically, in cases touching those subjects. The Civitas Institute would like to remind us that the rest of our judges are blank slates, on every issue, across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I'm appalled at this clear conflict of interest.

e: :lol: the sidebar.

HERE THEY loving COME, FRESH FROM PUMPING IRON

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Doesn't focusing on that case ultimately hurt the anti-abortion movement? I mean suppose tomorrow abortions everywhere are outlawed, that's what women are going to have to deal with: horrorific unregulated, uninspected underground clinics run by monsters.

It's like their "outlawing guns" meme only applies to one thing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

moths posted:

Doesn't focusing on that case ultimately hurt the anti-abortion movement? I mean suppose tomorrow abortions everywhere are outlawed, that's what women are going to have to deal with: horrorific unregulated, uninspected underground clinics run by monsters.

A just punishment for daring to have sex when you didn't want a child

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

moths posted:

It's like their "outlawing guns" meme only applies to one thing.

It doesn't help or hurt anyone's case, really. Abortion isn't one of those issues where there's a large group of undecided people. No matter what your opinion is you can use the Gosnell case as supporting evidence for your viewpoint.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

radical meme posted:

I don't know about the China connection but here's a blog post by Dana Loesch that claims Reid is doing it to help out his donors.

This is from April 11 so right wing media has been playing this angle for a while.

There were some claims based upon ongoing talks of the solar company ENN Mojave Energy, which was backed by Chinese investors, plying for the land in question and thus it became Fact™ Sen. Reid was bullying this rancher under the pretense of saving turtles. Lo and behold, that company was looking to use land that is miles away but within the same county, and is no longer even considering the idea. Not to mention this wasn't even an issue back when Dingleberry Cowboy decided that his use of the land was right via the "dibs" clause rather than pay some paltry grazing fees.

The situation was easily distorted by the right wing since the story has Democrats, green energy, endangered animals, and federal land usage. They tossed in some 2nd amendment seasoning and thus the patently false but amazingly appealing Scandal of the Month was eaten up by idiots and psychos.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
That's something that confuses me about anyone supporting the rancher;

If his family had been grazing cattle on that land since the 1800's, why didn't they own the land before the BLM even existed?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

joeburz posted:

The situation was easily distorted by the right wing since the story has Democrats, green energy, endangered animals, and federal land usage. They tossed in some 2nd amendment seasoning and thus the patently false but amazingly appealing Scandal of the Month was eaten up by idiots and psychos.

Holy poo poo, you really have described the perfect Tea Party fairy tale. This could be next season's plot twist for Once Upon a Time.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

That's something that confuses me about anyone supporting the rancher;

If his family had been grazing cattle on that land since the 1800's, why didn't they own the land before the BLM even existed?

They probably conveniently forgot, but negligence is okay if it isn't the government doing it.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

joeburz posted:

There were some claims based upon ongoing talks of the solar company ENN Mojave Energy, which was backed by Chinese investors, plying for the land in question and thus it became Fact™ Sen. Reid was bullying this rancher under the pretense of saving turtles. Lo and behold, that company was looking to use land that is miles away but within the same county, and is no longer even considering the idea. Not to mention this wasn't even an issue back when Dingleberry Cowboy decided that his use of the land was right via the "dibs" clause rather than pay some paltry grazing fees.

Eh to be fair, there is some weird poo poo with Reid and his energy concerns. But not any more or less than any other senator with their pet projects on either side. It's hilarious that this somehow got wrangled onto Dingleberry Cowboy's little loving ranch land theater.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Awfully precious to see these people bemoaning the Chinese being out in front on solar power seeing as they're the exact set that handed it to them on the basis that solar might make you gay or to spite Al Gore.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Eh, these seem like these belong here

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Phone posted:

http://ginandtacos.com is a great blog, even in spite of the fact that they let me post in their comments section.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

It doesn't help or hurt anyone's case, really. Abortion isn't one of those issues where there's a large group of undecided people. No matter what your opinion is you can use the Gosnell case as supporting evidence for your viewpoint.

How does it support opposition to abortion when what he did was already completely illegal and he's being punished to the full extent of the law and being defended by no one?

Pro-life person - "What Gosnell did is monstrous and he deserves to be punished!"
Pro-choice person - "No poo poo?"

???

I mean it doesn't really support pro-choice people either, but it definitely isn't a good anti-abortion argument.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mr. mephistopheles posted:

How does it support opposition to abortion when what he did was already completely illegal and he's being punished to the full extent of the law and being defended by no one?

Pro-life person - "What Gosnell did is monstrous and he deserves to be punished!"

???

I mean it doesn't really support pro-choice people either, but it definitely isn't a good anti-abortion argument.
In reality, the evaporation of access to reproductive services means more women being forced into using black market unregulated abortion "doctors" like Gosnell. They were common before RvW, and disappeared almost entirely afterwards, and now they're coming back.

Why, it's almost as if the "pro life" movement isn't about reducing abortions at all, but rather punishing women for their sexual choices!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Phone posted:

Excuse me while I write a song called "Guy at Work Explaining He Isn't Racist."

EDIT: I'm not kidding I'm writing it.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

???

They think the case portrays abortion providers as horrible monsters and want to use it as an argument to force new regulations on the clinics. There's a reason they think that the 'mainstream media' is covering it up.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
You're giving them too much credit. All they're doing is pointing at a story that has "Abortion" and a bunch of bad poo poo in the headline and saying SEE? ABORTION BAD.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I guess the "gotcha" is that if you don't have a problem with abortion why would you have a problem with pulling a fetus out and finishing it off on the table. It's another version of the controversy they tried to gin up over D and X.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Excuse me while I write a song called "Guy at Work Explaining He Isn't Racist."

EDIT: I'm not kidding I'm writing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHxEnQZi3Ow

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

There's a reason they think that the 'mainstream media' is covering it up.

Yeah, because they are idiots with extreme persecution complexes.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Going back to a previous on-topic topic, every Rush Limbaugh segment seems to just be "I, Rush Limbaugh, am incredibly relevant! People are talking about me! Look at how important I am, because people keep talking about me! I don't want anyone to really talk about me or care, but look, there they are! Talking about me, Rush Limbaugh!"

The whole show is a one-man circlejerk.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

AsInHowe posted:

Going back to a previous on-topic topic, every Rush Limbaugh segment seems to just be "I, Rush Limbaugh, am incredibly relevant! People are talking about me! Look at how important I am, because people keep talking about me! I don't want anyone to really talk about me or care, but look, there they are! Talking about me, Rush Limbaugh!"

Occasionally interspersed with callers telling him how great and right he is.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

This is all right-wing radio shows. Rush is just the best at it.

Also it reminds me of something I've been wanting to comment on, I have heard Limbaugh, Hannity, Savage, Levin all say they are the person liberals most despise. You pretty much have to be up your own rear end beyond being able to function as a normal human being to be a conservative radio host.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

sweart gliwere posted:

Having an opinion on a subject generally, disqualifies you from ever serving as judge specifically, in cases touching those subjects. The Civitas Institute would like to remind us that the rest of our judges are blank slates, on every issue, across the board.

Haha Civitas, never was there a bigger bunch of whiny idiots. Here's some highlights from their newspaper I got in the mail a couple years ago:

And of course the fine folks who turn out to their action conference klan rallies. Grampa Frowny up front is my favorite.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah you guys joke around about this but what would you do when you're made to come face to face with the North Carolinian Ginseng dealer forced to take his business to the mean streets due to burdensome licensing requirements?

Edit: or the freedom deprived "nursery dealer" who just wants to watch your children for 8 hours without all these pesky background checks?

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 17, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah you guys joke around about this but what would you do when you're made to come face to face with the North Carolinian Ginseng dealer forced to take his business to the mean streets due to burdensome licensing requirements?

Edit: or the freedom deprived "nursery dealer" who just wants to watch your children for 8 hours without all these pesky background checks?

The free market will background check itself. If someone rapes some kids then people will stop paying them to watch them. It's all very simple but I have this chart I can show you if you don't understand.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Intel&Sebastian posted:

P. sure that's referring to a greenhouse, not a kindergarten.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Hey, this is the good stuff, chummer. Little bit of dirt on it just means it came out of the ground.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
In my mind I'm imagining a NC state rep being sent out by his wife to the farmers market for Ginseng, coming home with Garlic, getting into a massive argument over what it actually was and then taking his anger out on the whole ginseng selling industry with a set of licensing courses on the differences between the two. Mandatory 40 hour course.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Well it was more he was in cahoots with his old frat buddy who's gone into the frivolous licensure business. Crony capitalism and government picking winners and losers.:argh:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Fuckin' lol if you ain't buying your ginseng on the black market.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

isildur posted:

Remember that deep in the fundie psyche is the idea that atheists, Muslims, Jews, and members of every other non-Christian religion are fully aware that Jesus is Lord. They're just choosing to reject him because they're bad people.

So it's not that much of a stretch for them to believe that atheist = Muslim, because they're both just people rejecting Jesus despite knowing that he's the Savior. The flavor of their rejection is just window dressing cooked up by Satan.

But whenever you look them in the eye you can tell that they don't believe in God. Their God is a substitute for their way-of-life entitlement. It's why they immediately go from "Jesus Loves You" to a place for everyone(and everyone in their place) great-chain-of-being poo poo. They beat their children because THEY pretend to believe in God, and they don't understand why a human being would ever be honest about it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Cliven Bundy is on my local shithead show and it would blow my mind to learn he had greater than a fifth grade education. He sounds like an aw shucks caricature. He also doesn't recognize the federal government as valid and has been purposely ignoring their letters.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Phone posted:

Fuckin' lol if you ain't buying your ginseng on the black market.

I just eliminate the middle man and get mine in bulk off alibaba along with my DMT and ketamine.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Cliven Bundy is on my local shithead show and it would blow my mind to learn he had greater than a fifth grade education. He sounds like an aw shucks caricature. He also doesn't recognize the federal government as valid and has been purposely ignoring their letters.

Yeah Kos caught a quote from him earlier saying the same thing about not recognizing the fed gov't, which begs the question...why are you flying American flags all over the place then?

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

ErichZahn posted:

But whenever you look them in the eye you can tell that they don't believe in God. Their God is a substitute for their way-of-life entitlement. It's why they immediately go from "Jesus Loves You" to a place for everyone(and everyone in their place) great-chain-of-being poo poo. They beat their children because THEY pretend to believe in God, and they don't understand why a human being would ever be honest about it.
It's tribal membership, not faith, but I think that to the extent that we accept tribal membership as sincere religious belief, the followers are completely sincere. My wife's sister got back together with her abusive husband because Jesus told her to; what that really meant was that her Bible study group disapproved, and she was risking her tribal membership. But it had to come from some kind of genuine religious feeling, because there's certainly no upside for her going back to that rear end in a top hat.

I always try to keep in mind that not all fundies are victimizers; some are victims.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

ErichZahn posted:

It's getting pretty euphoric up in here

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ErichZahn posted:

That's not entirely true; many do genuinely believe in God and attempt to be Christ-like. The issue is that a lot of people are "Christian" because that's how they were raised and they don't want to disappoint grandma. Many are also strongly encouraged to never, ever actually question what they believe and either don't have the time or the inclination to actually, seriously think about what they believe and how these things interact. Much of it is "I hate gays and black people because my daddy did and so did his daddy. The preacher man told me it's OK 'cuz they ain't really people and Jesus only said to love all the people, you know what I'm sayin'?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/04/16/%E2%80%98-united-states-intoxication-not-good-thing%E2%80%99-o%E2%80%99reilly-new-pot-study

So apparently if you smoke pot, you're a selfish human being?

Okay then.....

Generally from my experiences all of my pot smoking friends like sharing.