Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
LOCOST LOCOST LOCOST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Souli
Aug 4, 2008

HERRO,I FRIE PRANE
So I see you bought an exocet. The software company I work for now, Kevin used for work for us. He left a few years ago, before I was here, to start Exomotive. He's very good friends with a couple guys here, believe he was a designer for us. I have a coworker tryin to sell a miatia without a body. Want it? heh.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
That's awesome. I have a design of my own I want to build some day, but that's years away. I happen to have a wrecked Miata thanks to my brother, haha. There's pictures of it a few pages back.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What has 23.5hp, 12cc Hydrogear pumps, 18,340fpm tip speed, and both weighs and costs more then the exocet base kit? Pictures Saturday. :D

the spyder fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 3, 2014

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
RPM - CNC table / mill.

FPM - Lawn tractor.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
FPM is correct. Fixed!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Air compressor update: The new pulley showed up and it works great. I've got a sloooow bleed down, but that's ok. I'll take all the fittings apart, clean, and re-teflon them.

Some actual car work got done last night. I'm going to have to pull the motor to install the new engine mounts and reseal the oil pan :(.

I forgot how easy it is working on single turbo cars.

In prep for tomorrow, a friend loaned me his tilting mini trailer. His kids had last used it and brought it back with a bent fender and as I learned- no working lights. It also was full of wasps.

At this point I went to a local farm supply store and spent $30 on a complete re-wire kit.

Apparently I can still tip a trailer on it's side. I do not recommend this.

It worked!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
gently caress trailer light wiring and every thing associated with it.

I gave up on it and bought a set of magnetic lights that I use at my folks house with a few zip ties. Instant working lights.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I like to use brakleen or bbq lighter fluid as wasp killer, it doesn't leave nasty nerve-poison residue. Takes some paints off, though, so be careful.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I've had much wasp genocide success with carb cleaner.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

"The Spyder's Thread: Committing Wasp Genocide Since 2013"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I like to use brakleen or bbq lighter fluid as wasp killer, it doesn't leave nasty nerve-poison residue. Takes some paints off, though, so be careful.

Even soapy water will kill the fuckers.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Rectal Placenta posted:

I've had much wasp genocide success with carb cleaner.

This was my choice. Mainly because it's what I had around in the new shop.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well, I was going to take more pictures, but I'm lazy.

Bought a 2013 Hustler X-One 26hp/54" VR4 deck. 11MPH mowing speed,

I already scratched it. Caught a piece of pipe that used to be a grape arbour- I might remove the ROPS entirely, even folded down I'm catching branches.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Obvious solution is UHMW sheets on the fold down bar.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Haha, it actually has them on the deck in quite a few places.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've been working on getting the black car out of the shop in the evenings this week.
Here's the list of issues it came in with after being worked on by a outta state shop closer to the owner:
1) Unmounted Fuel Pressure Regulator. (idiots)
2) Oil leak. (two stripped bolts)
3) Wants wiring mess cleaned up. (undid everything I did when installed aftermarket fuel system)
4) Wastegate "only" opens at 16.5psi. (idiots)
5) Intercooler hose pops off. (My fault)
6) Wants aftermarket engine mounts installed.

Here's the list of issues I found:
1) Tbolt clamps turned facing up, dented hood.
2) Stock coils/wires with 7's and 9's on a 450hp car (wrong plugs).
3) Boost controller installed wrong.
4) Boost controller reference line T'd in to map sensor...
5) Fuel supply line finger tight.
6) Factory fuel pressure regulator vacuum control solenoid tied in to new aftermarket FPR.
7) HKS twin power mounted with velro under the hood.
8) Coil packs not bolted down.

First off, I decided to pull the engine to take care of the mounts. drat you FD's and your through oil pan engine mounts.

Already back in the car.

Next up I attacked the harness with my wire cutters. I removed all the twin turbo/control system wiring and heatshrunk/re-taped the harness.

To fix the hose popping off, I made a quick bead forming tool. Works decent.

In lawnmower news, I bought some cheap 27w 4" ATV/Offroad lights.

Holy poo poo are they 1) Huge and 2) Bright as hell. I also cracked the "flexible" rubber discharge chute when I hit my mail box. SOB.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 11, 2014

parid
Mar 18, 2004
That poor FD. You're doing god's work. Party on.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Those exhaust studs/holes look like my face when I read that list of poo poo wrong with it.

:eek: :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
:cripes:

Car updates:

93 R1 (Red): Runs! Just needs to be reassembled. A few vac lines and check valves appear to have fixed the turbos.

94 R2 (Black): Almost back together- still need to TIG the dump tube for the wastegate and rewire everything.

95 Touring (Montego Blue): The engine showed up last night. Hopefully it can go back together this weekend.

Shop update: We suck at construction. The last window has been installed.

Ignore our lovely wrap job. Ugg.

Oh and I finally wired up my plasma cutter.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 16, 2014

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I really need to stop looking at this thread. Every time I do, I end up on craigslists looking at rx7's....

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
You should stop, unless you're local and want to start bugging me like every other FD owner. lol

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The Red 93 R1 is done.

All of the parts for the 95 MB showed up, except a few MISC that should be here by Saturday.

Picked up the last edition of Brian Long's RX-7 book from our local Powell's books.

Finally bought a good set of drill bits. I'm hiding these.

And now for the aaaaaawwwwwww-gently caress moment. I may have done a rather stupid thing a few weeks back and I'm paying for it now. I did a highway pull and after 4th gear I noticed a drop in power and my idle dropped just a bit.

Figured I should check the compression.

Front. (This evened out to 100-101-99)

Rear. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Needless to say the motors coming back out and the chipped seal is getting replaced. SOB. Thankfully I have all this free time to fix this. God drat it. Repeat after me: I love these cars. I love these cars. I love these cars.

:shepicide:

the spyder fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 17, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Negromancer posted:

I really need to stop looking at this thread. Every time I do, I end up on craigslists looking at rx7's....

This, except instead of RX7s (...mostly) it's land to build a shop like that.

the spyder posted:

Figured I should check the compression.

Is a setup like that kind of a must-have since one lobe could still be building good compression and faking out a traditional compression tester? Seems slick either way.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Yes- this one measures each "face" of the rotor, a traditional piston tester won't work. (Well, it will if you remove the ball+spring, plus this one is fancy!)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Speaking of reasons not to buy a FD: On today's show, we're going to take a look at three terribly overpriced FD's and why you should avoid them.

Example 1: A 93 Base with surprisingly low miles (59k) for only $15k! Too bad the car sold last fall for $8k with rear end damage (still visible in the last picture, the hatch/tailights don't fit quite right.) The added bonus is it currently needs the transmission rebuilt! What a steal!
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4409415807.html

Example 2: A 93 touring with full wide body. 140k and a salvage title for only $14k! Bonus replica wheels and recent paint job! (Note the overspray and lack of jaming it out.)
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/4423050978.html

Example 3: A 94 Touring that needs some TLC for only $10k! Radiator optional. Very cool "multiple colored body panels" that make you wonder how this car still has a clean title! It won't last long, act fast!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4426711569.html

(Actual values: 1) $10k as is, 2) $8-10k, 3) $5-6k.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Um yeah, I think I'll stick to miatas. Cheaper and easier to work on.

I love in the last add how the seller says "put 5k into it and flip it for 25k!!!"

First of all, you'd have to know what you're doing, and if you do know what you're doing you're not gonna touch that with a ten foot pole. I feel sorry for the poor bastard that buys it thinking he's going to profit.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
When the time comes I'll probably buy an FD off you or Fritz Flynn on RX7club.

Or I could just import a stock JDM model, the $10k in savings might be enough to cover any kind of fuckery.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Any idea why it chipped a seal?
How does that compression tester work?

I heard it's like $800 in gaskets to crack open a rotary, is that true?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

mafoose posted:

1) I'm an idiot. I only had a basic tune and I pushed it too hard. 100% my fault. I also reused 2 piece seals and I bet I chipped a one of them. I should have NEVER pushed it as hard as I did. No excuses.
2) Uses a pressure transducer, some code, and a bloody old school 4pin keyboard extension cable, haha. Check out Twisted Rotors Rotary Engine compression tester.
3) Yes and no. In my case, it's just barely got 3k miles on it and everything should be reusable since I used Pineapple Racing's HD water seals. Now, a random third gen off craigslist, I'm going to need intake/turbo gaskets, orings, springs, water seals, ect ect. Up to about $1500 in parts alone. A cheap 13B NA kit runs 1/3rd the cost from Atkins.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

mafoose posted:

"Highway pull" sounds like he was trying to road tune it, which means the ecu map might not have been fully polished, and therefore it detonated. I've seen it a bunch of times around here with friends who have FDs. I could be wrong though.

The compression tester is a smaller (and significantly cheaper like $300 vs $1700) version of the Mazda tool. It uses a pressure transducer to translate the combustion chamber pressure into a digital signal, kinda like an oil pressure sensor from an oil pressure gauge. The tool has a microcontroller which reads the signal and records the peak value. The microcontroller is programmed to know that there are 3 rotor faces, so it records 3 separate values. It can calculate the RPM based on the time between pulses. Since Mazda specifies the compression in terms of cranking RPM, you need that value as well, since low RPM will reduce the readings and high RPM will increase the readings. Mazda provides a conversion graph in the FSM for normalizing the readings, but there is an online calculator that does all the work for you.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

Brigdh posted:

Mazda provides a conversion graph in the FSM for normalizing the readings, but there is an online calculator that does all the work for you.

Yeah, its a shame that the designer didn't let you enter the motor type and altitude in the tool itself. Its a pain having to use that stupid online tool I wrote. Whats the USB connector for on the new generation tool?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Seriously awesome piece of kit!

Too bad Arizona has such a high Japanese car tax. I can deal with semi rusty bits much better than a sun burnt everything else.

I will own one of these cars one day!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I still want one, I don't care :colbert:

e: I have this book too, plus an RX8 one. Got them at work for free :smug:

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 18, 2014

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

the spyder posted:

You should stop, unless you're local and want to start bugging me like every other FD owner. lol

Seattle, so kinda local. As much as I love FD's, I am def not getting near one after all the horror stories you keep posting. I really like the first gen ones, especially insane ones like this:

1985 Mazda RX7 - $6700 (Shelton)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I met the owner of that car. It's kinda retro, but it's clean.

Try this one:

Sold for $5k last year with 40km on it. No idea why the respray or change in mileage. I cursed myself for not buying it. It was super clean.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 18, 2014

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm trying to get that Black 94 wrapped up today and holy poo poo. Every time I touch it, I find something else. Nipple on the FPR was loose, power wire for the front secondary injector wasn’t crimped, boot removed on engine harness to body for boost controller wiring. Oh and more loose fuel lines. How the gently caress do shops stay in business while doing this poo poo?

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
my gatherings from your thread is that if I wish to own an FD, I should treat it like an airplane and do annual 100km checks and keep it a garage/hangar when not driven. From your experience, would you state that FC's are less of a chore to work on?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

FullMetalJacket posted:

my gatherings from your thread is that if I wish to own an FD, I should treat it like an airplane and do annual 100km checks and keep it a garage/hangar when not driven. From your experience, would you state that FC's are less of a chore to work on?

I would imagine so, especially if it is a non-turbo.
I think the FD's have a lot of issues due to the maze of vacuum lines controlling the overly complicated turbo system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

mafoose posted:

I would imagine so, especially if it is a non-turbo.
I think the FD's have a lot of issues due to the maze of vacuum lines controlling the overly complicated turbo system.

so best bet is just to do an Occam razor and go with an electronic boost controller if it's turbo'd? I'm guessing here, but a smaller diameter turbo would be best as well so it kicks in between 2-3k rpm. Yes?