Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
DP - LOVE the new avatar. Like Forrest, are you dead inside and can feel no more pain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

DivisionPost posted:

And has also said "Lost has ruined you people," though not in so many words.
Ironically what I got from LOST is that characters are much more important than the plot. Plot should serve character, not vice-versa.

People that think plot and wanky "crazy world mystery" is much more important probably hasn't watched much TV in the last 20 years or if they have, belong on TV Tropes telling each other how McGuffins are the bane of all fiction or writing another article that is basically "Chekov's gun" but in their own ~special snowflake 'this TV Troper' invented this~ way.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Part of the problem is that people want to be the ones who "called it" so loving hard.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

VorpalBunny posted:

DP - LOVE the new avatar. Like Forrest, are you dead inside and can feel no more pain?

Somebody else (Max22) had a pancake avatar so I was waiting for some other opportunity to come up. Then I realized there was never going to be a better match to those lyrics. So hold on one second because two characters in a drama I watch are banging like two feet away from a blood stain.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

DivisionPost posted:

Somebody else (Max22) had a pancake avatar so I was waiting for some other opportunity to come up. Then I realized there was never going to be a better match to those lyrics. So hold on one second because two characters in a drama I watch are banging like two feet away from a blood stain.

How much do people actually spend on avatars on this website? I'm genuinely curious.

Anyone still watching Star-Crossed? I'm a bit behind, but it's really disappointing. The 100 is leagues ahead in comparison.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
as a self confessed TV addict, and none tumblr/shipper version of a CW fan. I have never heard of Star Crossed until just now...

It can't be good.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Anyway, Scandal is basically 24 for women at this point. It's glorious.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

DivisionPost posted:

Anyway, Scandal is basically 24 for women at this point. It's glorious.

I'm so happy that Scandal and the return of 24 aren't airing within a week of each other, I don't know if I could take it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Rocksicles posted:

as a self confessed TV addict, and none tumblr/shipper version of a CW fan. I have never heard of Star Crossed until just now...

It can't be good.

It wasn't as dreadful as I had expected, but it also wasn't good enough to make me watch more than two or three episodes.

Just finished season one of Da Vinci's Demons, wow, it's actually pretty drat good. A little bit too BBC1 Saturday evening for my tastes, but certainly entertaining.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Are my options for streaming A&E stuff seriously limited to just Amazon Prime? I love the Intervention/Hoarders/Scared Straight suffering trinity so much, but as far as I can tell my access seems to be limited to whatever random three seasons Amazon feels like putting up at any given time. I want to pay for this poo poo, why won't they let me :(

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'm so happy that Scandal and the return of 24 aren't airing within a week of each other, I don't know if I could take it.

Somebody in the thread -- and I'm actually not saying this to throw shade on him -- mentioned that he was hoping this season finale marked the end of the show, and my response was basically "It might derail at some point, but be thankful it's not derailing as quickly or violently as Glee."

Yet the rate this show is going, we're looking at a season 6 where Olivia and Fitz fight for survival after they discover that half the Senate have been replaced by pod people. AND there's a nonzero chance that most people and I will go for it. That's the mark of a great nighttime soap.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Welp, it didn't take long for the Fargo thread to turn to poo poo. Now Billy Bob Thorton is Literally the Devil or maybe a living incarnation of the Trickster archetype? Depressing.

e: Aww jeez

Well, the show didn't really help considering his vanishing act in the basement. I'm not saying there was anything supernatural about it but I can kind of understand why some people would think so.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Just finished season one of Da Vinci's Demons, wow, it's actually pretty drat good. A little bit too BBC1 Saturday evening for my tastes, but certainly entertaining.

So far season 2 is better.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So the potential series finale for community, the final 30 seconds of the show was taking the biggest poo poo ever on NBC and their original programming

And it was glorious

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Accidentally caught Bam's Bad rear end Game Show on TBS and holy gently caress you know it's a piece of poo poo when even MTV - which basically MADE Bam Margera - took a pass on his latest self-made show. Aside from the bloated face of the host's alcoholism on display, the big question left in the room like a bad elevator fart is, "who in TBS actually thought they'd be expanding their audience with this crap?"

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Sober posted:

Ironically what I got from LOST is that characters are much more important than the plot. Plot should serve character, not vice-versa.

People that think plot and wanky "crazy world mystery" is much more important probably hasn't watched much TV in the last 20 years or if they have, belong on TV Tropes telling each other how McGuffins are the bane of all fiction or writing another article that is basically "Chekov's gun" but in their own ~special snowflake 'this TV Troper' invented this~ way.

Sometimes LOST was about the characters. The entire point of the flashbacks originally was to elaborate on the characters. The polar bears, smoke monsters, and weird magnetic phenomena should have been understood to be more metaphorical. Most people were watching LOST wrong because they were using a Sherlock Holmes decoder ring, when they ought to have been using a Socratic one. The pilot episode had a beast made of thick black smoke. Was that ever going to have an answer good enough for the theorists?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Occupation posted:

So the potential series finale for community, the final 30 seconds of the show was taking the biggest poo poo ever on NBC and their original programming

And it was glorious
30 Rock pretty much did this all the time.

On an somewhat related note, I wouldn't be surprised if NBC started cribbing ideas from 30 Rock in a vain attempt to dig themselves out of the hole they're in.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Spatula City posted:

Sometimes LOST was about the characters. The entire point of the flashbacks originally was to elaborate on the characters. The polar bears, smoke monsters, and weird magnetic phenomena should have been understood to be more metaphorical. Most people were watching LOST wrong because they were using a Sherlock Holmes decoder ring, when they ought to have been using a Socratic one. The pilot episode had a beast made of thick black smoke. Was that ever going to have an answer good enough for the theorists?

The pilot episode did not have a beast made of thick black smoke.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Sober posted:

30 Rock pretty much did this all the time.

On an somewhat related note, I wouldn't be surprised if NBC started cribbing ideas from 30 Rock in a vain attempt to dig themselves out of the hole they're in.

Are they going to land Will Ferrell for Bitch Hunter, or are they going to try and grab an up-and-comer, you think?

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Sober posted:

after all these years, how have they NOT made MILF Island?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Spatula City posted:

The pilot episode had a beast made of thick black smoke. Was that ever going to have an answer good enough for the theorists?

Indeed, after season 1 I knew it was never going to have an ending that would satisfy me. Meanwhile three friends of mine were huge theorists, and we'd get together to watch it every week, I'd just sit back and listen to the crazy stuff they'd come up with.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this? posted:

Well, the show didn't really help considering his vanishing act in the basement. I'm not saying there was anything supernatural about it but I can kind of understand why some people would think so.

It also doesn't help that the Coen brothers had a character that actually was the Devil. Or maybe not? I don't remember Barton Fink that well

Not that I'm agreeing with the theory, but the idea that there would be some middle management office in the middle of Minnesota or whatever that handed out instructions to angels of death and looks like the set of Office Space is quite amusing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Occupation posted:

And it was glorious
Thought Jacker
Intensive Karen
Mr. Egypt
Celebrity Beat-Off
Captain Cook

Dead Snoopy posted:

Accidentally caught Bam's Bad rear end Game Show on TBS and holy gently caress you know it's a piece of poo poo when even MTV - which basically MADE Bam Margera - took a pass on his latest self-made show. Aside from the bloated face of the host's alcoholism on display, the big question left in the room like a bad elevator fart is, "who in TBS actually thought they'd be expanding their audience with this crap?"
TBS made King of the Nerds after all

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Cardboard Box A posted:

TBS made King of the Nerds after all

At least that one was watchably entertaining.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Syrg Sapphire posted:

At least that one was watchably entertaining.
Was it? Was it really?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yes, actually.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
King of the Nerds was actually really good, season 1 had so much entertaining cringe and a few genuinely likable characters. Season 2 has one of the gooniest motherfuckers I've ever seen and he's gloriously awful.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The window to the outside in the basement was prominently displayed in the last scene taking place there.

But enough about plot, the tone to FARGO is basically perfect. Just pitch black, shot through with lines of pure smirking comedy. Its Coen as gently caress!

EDIT: And lol about people saying LOST was about the characters. They did such a good job with fleshing out and giving satisfying arcs with Kate, Jack, Locke, or pretty much anyone else in the show. No, they did not burn any interesting characterization of their characters on the alter of never-ending twists and mystery hooks. Nope, none of that happened at allllll.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 18, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

lelandjs posted:

Not that I'm agreeing with the theory, but the idea that there would be some middle management office in the middle of Minnesota or whatever that handed out instructions to angels of death and looks like the set of Office Space is quite amusing.

Wasn't that pretty much Dead Like Me, minus the office?

Cardboard Box A posted:

Was it? Was it really?

Sure, if you loving hate yourself.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

How the gently caress haven't I watched Rick & Morty until today? Finally another cartoon that's funny besides Archer.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

How the gently caress haven't I watched Rick & Morty until today? Finally another cartoon that's funny besides Archer.

Bob's Burgers has the highest jokes per minute ratio of any show on TV, animated or not.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

lelandjs posted:

It also doesn't help that the Coen brothers had a character that actually was the Devil. Or maybe not? I don't remember Barton Fink that well

I figure that like most 20-somethings your average goon has only seen The Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men, and/or Fargo. If you've ever seen Raising Arizona, Barton Fink, The Hudsucker Proxy, O Brother Where Art Thou?, or A Serious Man then the idea of something they're involved in having overt supernatural elements or a character who is the devil isn't ridiculous at all.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I swear to God I'm going to punch the next person who uses the term "filler episode" in reference to a sitcom or procedural.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Joramun posted:

Bob's Burgers has the highest jokes per minute ratio of any show on TV, animated or not.

The most recent episode was gold. :ranbowdash:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Joramun posted:

It is the best tv show currently airing.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

That's crazy you're crazy.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Cardboard Box A posted:

Was it? Was it really?

S2 madman aside, the show took a bunch of awkward yet bright people, never shat on them for it (they did themselves sometimes, but the tone of it never did), and came up with some creative endeavors you'd never see on another reality show for the challenges. It was pretty good, even if occasionally someone did cross the line into "oh no please stop talking" territory.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I figure that like most 20-somethings your average goon has only seen The Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men, and/or Fargo. If you've ever seen Raising Arizona, Barton Fink, The Hudsucker Proxy, O Brother Where Art Thou?, or A Serious Man then the idea of something they're involved in having overt supernatural elements or a character who is the devil isn't ridiculous at all.

Yes, but this is Fargo. And while it's not really a true story, it's supposed to be designed like one. Of course the disappearance of Lorne Malvo from the basement is supposed to imply some Satanistic tendencies, but if this leads to a True Detective-esque insistence on Lorne Malvo actually being Lucifer in the flesh, somebody's getting punched in the dick.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It's just a version of the dude from No Country for Old Men dropped into the Fargo style world, stop over analyzing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

S2 madman aside, the show took a bunch of awkward yet bright people, never shat on them for it (they did themselves sometimes, but the tone of it never did), and came up with some creative endeavors you'd never see on another reality show for the challenges. It was pretty good, even if occasionally someone did cross the line into "oh no please stop talking" territory.

Yeah, if you enjoy Reality TV and the Big Brother/Survivor type of elimination/social game then King of the Nerds is a pretty easy to digest and charming version of it. The show doesn't make fun of them too bad and does it with a good spirit, and for the most part while they're all cringeworthy on the surface most of them come off as pretty reasonable and likable people with a few weird or awkward quirks. I've enjoyed it as a fan of those games and as someone who doesn't really consider himself a "nerd" and is kind of annoyed by "nerd culture" I think its a really charming and positive look at it.

• Locked thread