Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

life is killing me posted:

The other thing is, Bjorn is trying to get some slave girl poontang and she is telling him to gently caress off even though she knows he is the earl's son and he's showing honor by not just raping the poo poo out of her even though no one'd stop him. So he is sexually frustrated, pissed off, and has some big Ragnar-sized shoes to fill. Both his parents cast a shadow he will have to work hard to live up to, so maybe it's a good thing he is sexually frustrated.

I was thinking that too; he's gonna send that energy somewhere. Hopefully delivered to Horik via axe.

Borg just got so wholly shafted and Horik totally deserved the public filleting. Dude needs ended. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

VDay posted:

e: Actually, did they ever say that she actually considers herself an earl? I think she just gave the fake earl name so that Ragnar would come to the woods, so maybe her husband's still technically in charge of his lands but she just told all the men that they could come raiding if they went with her and peaced the gently caress out of there.

Yeah, the fact that she has an in with Ragnar, who is known to have lead some of the most successful raids in recent years, probably sealed the deal for the warriors wanting her as a leader instead of the complacent, play-it-safe Earl. A lot of Viking stuff I've read would talk about how they would usually follow whoever could provide the best opportunities for plunder and riches.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

savinhill posted:

Yeah, the fact that she has an in with Ragnar, who is known to have lead some of the most successful raids in recent years, probably sealed the deal for the warriors wanting her as a leader instead of the complacent, play-it-safe Earl. A lot of Viking stuff I've read would talk about how they would usually follow whoever could provide the best opportunities for plunder and riches.

Man it's like Vikings: Black Sails. Coming soon on the History Channel. In next week's episode, Ragnar and co. head to Nassau and Floki has a secret that could cost him everything. Meanwhile, the British Royal Navy moves closer to Kattegat and Ragnar faces a possible mutiny while attempting to evade Blackbeard and his Jomsvikings.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Equester posted:

Did you miss the part where she stabbed her husband in the eye and another guy chopped his head off?

Martello posted:

Her husband's super dead if you missed it. She stabbed him in the eye with a steak knife and then one of his homeboys chopped his head off.

Yup, had a brain fart and completely forgot that the one guy actually killed him somehow, whoops.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I assume the show made Lagertha's husband a dick in the first place because they decided to use the bit about her killing her husband and taking his title. She's too popular of a character to make her off a decent guy for no reason.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Wow, I somehow managed to miss the scene where he got killed haha. That makes a lot more sense now.

And yeah, I think she must be a legit earl now, Ragnar asked her if she was and she said yes, and that they were equals now. If it wasn't a legal title I'm guessing nobody is going to challenge her about it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Wow, I somehow managed to miss the scene where he got killed haha. That makes a lot more sense now.

And yeah, I think she must be a legit earl now, Ragnar asked her if she was and she said yes, and that they were equals now. If it wasn't a legal title I'm guessing nobody is going to challenge her about it.

I wouldn't worry about how legit it was, the rules on this sort of thing were pretty loose among the Vikings. It's not like the Christian kingdoms where someone needed to be the legitimate firstborn son to inherit. If everyone thought Lagertha should be the new Jarl, she's the new Jarl. Just like when Ragnar killed the old Jarl and took over.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

marktheando posted:

Just like when Ragnar killed the old Jarl and took over.

Yeah that seems to be as formal as it got, as Ragnar HAD to fight him to become earl, even though the original reason they were fighting was more than just Ragnar wanting to become earl.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The other thing is, Bjorn is trying to get some slave girl poontang and she is telling him to gently caress off even though she knows he is the earl's son and he's showing honor by not just raping the poo poo out of her even though no one'd stop him.

I laughed like crazy at the friendzone in ancient times scene

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

etalian posted:

I laughed like crazy at the friendzone in ancient times scene

Yeah, the comments in this thread on that were hilarious as well. Poor Bjorn. All he wants to do is love her, but now it looks like he's going to have to force the love because she will come around, really. How can you say no to that face? At any rate, I hope I'm not the only one who watched Bjorn macking on the slave girl and pictured young Bjorn getting all righteously pissed off every time she dissed him.

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender

No one is sure why he was called "The Boneless," some think it was brittle bone disease and there is even speculation he was carried into battle on a shield which is far-fetched imho. Also some say it was because he was impotent.

It could also be a case of good old Viking humour, i.e. he had very large bones and was a pretty huge guy. Maybe Floki gives him the nickname.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

maninacape posted:

It could also be a case of good old Viking humour, i.e. he had very large bones and was a pretty huge guy. Maybe Floki gives him the nickname.

It'll be interesting to see which way they go with it on the show thats for sure, given all the speculation about the chronicles and ballads.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

ChickenMedium posted:

To stand out as a monster among Vikings, he probably would. Unless he's a monster only when judged by Vikings. Ivar will be the most polite, friendly, pacifist Christian in all of Denmark.

Ivar will torture animals when he's young, including baby goats. In the process he'll discover and popularize new ways to prepare meat and will get a cool nickname from his boneless chicken and ribs inventions.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ivar becomes a eunuch.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
He is Ivar the Boneless because he refuses to eat any meat with bones in it. Geez you guys sure do come up with weird things!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

ded posted:

He is Ivar the Boneless because he refuses to eat any meat with bones in it. Geez you guys sure do come up with weird things!

I think your idea is the most far-fetched of all, sir :colbert:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's a mistranslation and he has Hank Hill Syndrome. Ivar the Bunless.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Phy posted:

It's a mistranslation and he has Hank Hill Syndrome. Ivar the Bunless.

"Floki, I tell ya h-what..."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Error 404 posted:

"Floki, I tell ya h-what..."

I hope someone makes King of the Hill inspired fan art for the show.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Speaking of successful raids, whatever happened to all the treasure from Winchester anyway?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
I kind of wondered that too. Figured Ragnar took his share when he left. The rest maybe lost when the camp was over run? Unless Horik managed to grab some before bailing...No one seems too concerned about it, anyway.

Erghh fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 17, 2014

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Arglebargle III posted:

Speaking of successful raids, whatever happened to all the treasure from Winchester anyway?

More than likely he reinvested it back into more ships and weapons for his men to raid with. He certainly didn't start any constructions projects like the Appian Way for sure. Not to mention I never got the sense they were getting that much gold from the raids.

Nearly every recorded record Roman/Byzantine or Arabic envoy going out to the barbarian tribes would walk into a hall with really elaborately decorated guards and vassals and when the get presented to the "King" they would usually find someone dressed really shabby like since the King would constantly divy up treasure into his vassals favor so he would remain in power.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Rat kebabs :stonk:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
drat it, show what's wrong with the baby!

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
...a little somethin' for the ladies

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Bjorn is cut.

fake edit: But I dont mean literally.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Erghh posted:

...a little somethin' for the ladies

She'll regret putting me in the friendzone

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Gyges posted:

drat it, show what's wrong with the baby!

Looks like they're going with no legs/boneless legs

Brennan fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 18, 2014

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Is that a francisca Ragnar's using?

Edit: For some reason I frequently forget that Franks doesn't actually equal French and that this is a few hundred years after the Romans came up against them.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 18, 2014

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Is Mercia the kingdom the Wessex king just partnered with? If so, that's his daughter-in-law, right?

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Is Mercia the kingdom the Wessex king just partnered with? If so, that's his daughter-in-law, right?

No, he allied with Northumbria

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Mercia is the kingdom Ecbert and Fat Slob King agreed to divide up and sealed their pact with the marriage of their children.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
And Lagertha has a cat.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That was a huge Viking cat

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
The vision-ing in this show gets a bit discombobulating, makes some of the legit stuff tougher to recognize.

Also hoped they'd make Ivar like a giant or something and have the name be ironic.

f/e: a music video just broke out. And Lagertha large and in charge. :allears:

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Flaming pigs head...the other white meat

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, that guy's got an expression that says he thinks he can kill this earl too.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

All of these shieldmaidens. Shieldmaidens by the dozen. This show really has gone full fantasy.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Sash! posted:

That was a huge Viking cat

Don't gently caress with Viking cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

I like this chick

• Locked thread