Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Napoleon Total War had some seriously janky art.

That's supposed to be one of Napoleon's Chasseurs a Cheval, a unit famed for their mobility and very asymmetric legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Ensign Expendable posted:

Probably something like that, they were a pretty big pain in his rear end. The Russian stance on horses was "The women can always birth more men, but we paid for these horses in gold!"

I always thought that Russia could get cheap horse supply from its Asian regions.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

I always thought that Russia could get cheap horse supply from its Asian regions.

Those horses are not the best quality for heavy cavalry

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Napoleon Total War had some seriously janky art.

That's supposed to be one of Napoleon's Chasseurs a Cheval, a unit famed for their mobility and very asymmetric legs.

Also famous for horse drifting.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Arquinsiel posted:

It's not a sensible pose, but it's also not impossible. It does seem like he is an action figure though, and rotates perfectly at the waist.

He looks like a ragdoll sewn together by a blind person.

FAUXTON posted:

Also famous for horse drifting.
The horse in the front is just fed up and giving the camera a bitter look.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Holy poo poo Imperial Russia, leave De Tolly alone he's trying to fight a loving war against Napoleon. Seriously, the poor guy is facing one of the biggest invasions even by a multi national army led by one of the best commanders of his era and all he gets is suspicions, racism and even back chat from the court and his own army staff to the lowest levels in the Imperial Russian Army whilst playing it safe and not giving Napoleon what he wants.

If there ever was a position in the Napoleonic Wars that could have ended with a 'gently caress all of you guys, I am out!' sort of moment Barclay De Tolly would certainly be one of the top runners up for it.

steinrokkan posted:

The horse in the front is just fed up and giving the camera a bitter look.

If you were a horse in a modern Total War game, you'd be incredibly bitter too.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 16, 2014

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

It's not a sensible pose, but it's also not impossible. It does seem like he is an action figure though, and rotates perfectly at the waist.

I would buy a Bismarck action figure in a heartbeat, especially if it had that sword.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Holy poo poo Imperial Russia, leave De Tolly alone he's trying to fight a loving war against Napoleon. Seriously, the poor guy is facing one of the biggest invasions even by a multi national army led by one of the best commanders of his era and all he gets is suspicions, racism and even back chat from the court and his own army staff to the lowest levels in the Imperial Russian Army whilst playing it safe and not giving Napoleon what he wants.

If there ever was a position in the Napoleonic Wars that could have ended with a 'gently caress all of you guys, I am out!' sort of moment Barclay De Tolly would certainly be one of the top runners up for it.

If you were a horse in a modern Total War game, you'd be incredibly bitter too.

My (admittedly politically slanted) Soviet-era history textbook alternated between "Yay, heroism of the Russian people!" and "Boo, prejudice and conservatism of the monarchy!". It kind of skipped over about how everyone was a dick to de Tolly, and not just the monarchists. The maps were cool though.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Ensign Expendable posted:

My (admittedly politically slanted) Soviet-era history textbook alternated between "Yay, heroism of the Russian people!" and "Boo, prejudice and conservatism of the monarchy!". It kind of skipped over about how everyone was a dick to de Tolly, and not just the monarchists. The maps were cool though.

The Soviet relationship to the (First) Great Patriotic War always struck me as very interesting. The generals are virtually all aristocrats, members of class that the Soviets actively purged during the 1910s and 1920s, yet people like Kutuzov come off very well in Soviet tellings of history and become national heroes. The Soviet Government frames WWII with the same language, they call it the Great Patriotic War, the same label applied to the 1812 war.

So you have a war almost entirely initiated and led by aristocrats being idolized by this supposedly egalitarian, anti-aristocratic state.

I wonder how (if at all) the Soviets navigated those contradictions.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
It's referred to as the Patriotic War of 1812 (so not quite as great). The whole thing with promoting aristocratic military figures came around when Stalin realized that an awful lot of people might not be quite inclined to fight to the death for their Party and its Chief, but would still fight for their country and culture. After that I guess it kind of stuck.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Well, one of the early requirements of the New Model Army was to be Protestant, and the army attracted a disproportionate share of Protestant fanatics.

Cromwell won because he was God's Englishman. The repression after Cromwell also did England a huge favour because we exported the religious nutters abroad where they could do no real harm.

Englands most terrible, tragic mistake.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Aren't you supposed to not be posting here?

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
If Paradox paintings are being shared can someone please dig up Robert E. Lee Literally Leading a Mounted Charge into British Infantry?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
What about the painting of Brezhnev leading the Malaya Zemlya landing?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Now I want to see Gandhi riding a nuke like Slim Pickens.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

General China posted:

Cromwell won because he was God's Englishman. The repression after Cromwell also did England a huge favour because we exported the religious nutters abroad where they could do no real harm.

Englands most terrible, tragic mistake.

Please do not return to this thread.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Who is that guy?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

HEY GAL posted:

Not judging, everyone loves a good froth. And I didn't fly into a nerd rage when Animal implied that the New Model Army won because they were Protestants, I did some revisions and went to bed like a normal person. :colbert:

Poor choice of words. I meant Puritan (which may not make the implication any better.) the idea being that their religious zeal could have helped their focus. I recently read 'The Crusades through Arab Eyes' which is obviously a very different conflict, but one in which religious puritanism is a sort of tool gave focus to another group of people (the disparate Muslim coalition) and is one of the things that seemed to have helped turn a group of rabble into an organized coherent army that could repel a less united enemy.

I am a completely unreligious person so I hope you dont think that I am leading somewhere I am not.

Animal fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 17, 2014

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Davincie posted:

Who is that guy?

Just click his rap sheet and move on.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Debbie Metallica posted:

Please do not return to this thread.

Hey buddy, this is my thread and I make the rules!!!

(but seriously general china you still cannot conduct even the most simplistic contextual analysis, you don't belong here)

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

Bacarruda posted:

I wonder how (if at all) the Soviets navigated those contradictions.

by creating Suvorov military academies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suvorov_Military_School

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Can anyone help me find a milhist picture? I saw it on Wikipedia a while ago but I can't seem to find it now. It was taken in the ACW, and it has two black union soldiers firing around the corner of a house and I think a barrel down an open street. I want to know what battle it is so I can read up on it because there were so few urban actions undertook in that war. I've looked up several things on wikipedia trying to trace it back including african american units in the ACW, urban warfare, suppressing fire, etc.

e: nvm, I found the picture and it's not quite what I remembered it as. Anyway, it says it was taken at Dutch Gap and there really isn't much information on it other. Must have been one of those many small skirmishes that don't make the books I guess.

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 18, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Is it this (I know it isn't a picture):

Some of the heaviest street fighting happened in Fredericksburg iirc.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It was this actually. But that's a cool drawing regardless.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Frostwerks posted:

It was this actually. But that's a cool drawing regardless.

Yeah, there's basically a 0% chance that wasn't a staged photo.

Still cool.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, there's basically a 0% chance that wasn't a staged photo.

Still cool.

im pretty sure most photos in that era are staged photos.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Agean90 posted:

Yup.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Agean90 posted:

Even the post-battle photos?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ofaloaf posted:

This one was

http://www.civilwaracademy.com/alexander-gardner.html

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ofaloaf posted:

Yes they would move corpses around as they saw fit, repositioning bodies for better camera angles happened all the time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Why are there a bunch of dudes just dead in a field? There don't appear to be any artillery craters nearby, and machineguns weren't widely used in the civil war AFAIK. Were they just told to charge across a bare field or something?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Why are there a bunch of dudes just dead in a field? There don't appear to be any artillery craters nearby, and machineguns weren't widely used in the civil war AFAIK. Were they just told to charge across a bare field or something?

Uh. Pretty much... yeah.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slavvy posted:

That's how linear tactics work, yes. If a company were hit hard quickly, its men would be found lying in their ranks and files where they had stood.

Also, canister won't leave craters.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Slavvy posted:

Walking across open fields in straight lines was how wars were fought for a couple hundred years. A line of guys standing shoulder-to-shoulder is pretty much the optimal formation for delivering fire to the enemy when you're armed with flintlocks. If you're working with smoothbore muskets those two opposing lines are going to be practically within rock throwing distance of each other, although by the ACW rifled muskets and the Minie ball had opened that range up to a couple hundred yards.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 18, 2014

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Walking across open fields in straight lines was how wars were fought for a couple hundred years. A line of guys standing shoulder-to-shoulder is pretty much the optimal formation for delivering fire to the enemy when you're armed with flintlocks. If you're working with smoothbore muskets those too opposing lines are going to be practically within rock throwing distance of each other, although by the ACW rifled muskets and the Minie ball had opened that range up to a couple hundred yards.

While we often hear about the so-called shotgun-approach as being the key to delivering accuracy and stopping power in battle, one of the key elements of formation fighting that isn't often talked about is that it is much easier to keep organized. It sounds insane when you hear about it now, but it's important to remember that this was in an era of combat where the smoke and noise of the rifles would strongly impair unit command and control. It was very easy for officers to lose command of their units in the heat of battle when sight and hearing had been thoroughly compromised. Conducting a battle in the loosely spread out manner that we would now was considered tactically unsound - your soldiers would fire all their ammunition while too far away, and then flee the battle in the confusion and end up getting run down piecemeal. Better, it was believed, to accept the vulnerabilities of fighting away from cover in exchange for the confidence of knowing that you weren't fighting alone, and the peer pressure to obey orders, not to mention the morale shattering effect of a company fusillade.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Watch "Death in the Civil War" and you get a good idea what happened after battles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I understand all this but didn't they have semi-modern rifles, not muskets? As in, I can see it working when accuracy, range and visibility are piss-poor, but the weapons they were using were the predecessors of modern guns. Was it a case of tactics not having yet caught up with technology? Or am I seeing this wrong completely?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Slavvy posted:

I understand all this but didn't they have semi-modern rifles, not muskets? As in, I can see it working when accuracy, range and visibility are piss-poor, but the weapons they were using were the predecessors of modern guns. Was it a case of tactics not having yet caught up with technology? Or am I seeing this wrong completely?
A rifled musket firing a Minie ball could stretch the effective range out to maybe 400 yards for a good marksman, but it was still a black powder muzzle-loader limited to a few shots a minute. Volley fire was still going to render everyone deaf and blind in short order. Towards the end of the war you start seeing repeaters and breech-loaders trickling onto the field, but in relatively small numbers.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

The creepiest part of this photo after watching the Ken Burns documentary was the narrator's comment about how when men were hit in the ACW, they'd frantically pull up their shirts and pull down their pants to see if they were hit in the gut. A gut shot, they knew, would be fatal. Guys like this spent their last moments in horror as they bled out on the field.

Here:

Have some daffodils to wash that out of your mind.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Slavvy posted:

Partially it was a tactical deficiency, partially it was a tactical reality. At the beginning of the war the troops on both sides were civilian levees, and almost uniformly green and undrilled. Boys would be pulled from the streets of Philadelphia or the farms of Virginia and be expected to fight. The quality of the troops was so poor that a battlefield victory was more dependent on morale and supplies than anything else. From that perspective, it makes perfect sense to adhere to the traditional formations that had been the key to battlefield victory for thousands of years.

But as time went on and the quality of both the weapons and the soldiers increased, the deficiency of the tactics became more and more apparent. Men were getting thrown into absolute bloodbaths for little merit. The Battle of Cold Harbor is considered somewhat emblematic of this failure in tactics. Burns' documentary paints a brutal picture of the battle. Over the course of two weeks, Grant launched attack after attack on Lee's heavily entrenched forces, suffering terrible casualties to no effect. Lee's soldiers were outnumbered, but they proved that veteran soldiers protected by heavy fortifications would be able to devastate ranks of attackers that were rushing the defenses. In the end, despite being outnumbered nearly two to one, there were only 4,000 Confederate casualties as compared to 12,000 Union casualties. Grant himself regretted making the last assault on Cold Harbor, admitting that it was pointless.

In particular you can see why entrenching became the next big tactical development, as it combined the organizational strengths of formation fighting with the battlefield realities of accurate repeating weaponry. Your troops wouldn't run away from the trenchline or embankment, and sergeants/couriers would be protected and able to communicate orders directly with the troops. Of course the drawback is that it's difficult to conduct offensives from within that trench, but during the Civil War the solution was to lure your opponent into attacking, devastate their lines, and then march over their broken armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Ron Jeremy posted:

The creepiest part of this photo after watching the Ken Burns documentary was the narrator's comment about how when men were hit in the ACW, they'd frantically pull up their shirts and pull down their pants to see if they were hit in the gut. A gut shot, they knew, would be fatal. Guys like this spent their last moments in horror as they bled out on the field.

Here:

Have some daffodils to wash that out of your mind.

Yup. Gut shot with a Minie ball. Lucky if you bleed out within a few minutes/hours. Unlucky if you get your bowels blown out and the fever kills you in the next days, because you start to rot alive. Gangrene and gas gangrene is pretty horrible. Interesting to hear what happened to the wounded.

Watch the movie, just to get an idea how Gettysburg smelled, because the task of picking up and burrying the dead was left to the inhabitants at first.

• Locked thread