Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

tadashi posted:

Are you Monicro on the other forums, too? I'll pm the guy who does the authorizations. It's kind of a lovely way to do things and some of the leagues on there have tried to get away for years but there's just so much history that would be lost...

It is, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Monicro posted:

It is, thanks.

E: He just emailed me and said you're setup.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 27, 2014

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
When is OOTP 15 actually coming out?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Screen Door Slams posted:

When is OOTP 15 actually coming out?

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ootp-15-general-discussions/241276-ootp-15-release-date.html

April 18th/21st depending on if you pre-ordered.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OOTP has been doing a "road to release" thing this week where they preview some of the new features, and since the game comes out tomorrow (if you pre-ordered), today they did an info dump about the minor changes as well.

quote:

We know many of you love to turn on commissioner mode and modify your leagues in various ways, so every year we sprinkle in some new settings to satisfy the inner Selig (or inner anti-Selig) in you. OOTP 15 is no different - it features:
•Editable accomplishment and milestone limits
•Customizable spring training length (1-6 weeks)
•Option to set a roster size for Spring Training; together with the option to sign players to minor league contracts which include a major league option, this results in the possibility to invite free agents to Spring Training. - Non-roster invitees are now supported for Spring Training as well.
•Option to allow teams to 'post' players who are not yet FA-eligible for foreign leagues, including an editable maximum posting fee
•Option to assign a reputation level to a league, which is used in the player contract AI
•Option to set age limit rules and prohibit foreigners in minor leagues
•Option to limit contract length and prohibit contract extensions
•Option to have a non-editable ticket price
•Added a setting that prevents leagues with a disabled amateur draft to auto-generate fictional free agents (useful for independent leagues)
•Option to set a fee for which teams from other leagues may purchase contracts of players.
•The trading AI frequency no longer is a global setting, but can be set for each major league individually
•Playoff Matchup Editor allows you to directly set up the matchups you want for the playoffs.
•A new "Acquired" field in player profiles that displays the most recent trade involving a player, assuming there was one since you started the sim. Click it to view the transaction.
•The ability to offer jobs to coaches and scouts even when you have warm bodies occupying those roles.
•Improved news stories, play-by-play, AI, first-year player draft and negotiation.
•Enhanced player history tracking that includes yearly salary, grand slams, walk-off hits, 2nd and 3rd place award finishes, and more.

I am probably more excited about most of these than the 3D modeling and whatnot. I hope the posted players are actually talented, though, since I don't know if I've seen more than one or two IFAs generated that was worth signing.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

The whole IFA system in OOTP was always so bizarre and haphazardly implemented. Seemed like it was just, "generate a few random players who happen to be from other countries," without any regard to whether they had any business being signed by MLB organizations. In the SCMLB, I was inflating the IFA's talents and/or ratings every year just to make things more interesting.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Being able to offer coaching jobs even when you have one already is very good.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

I'm doing my last game of OOTP14, and I think this might be the most unexpected thing I've ever seen in an OOTP news story.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I'm doing my last game of OOTP14, and I think this might be the most unexpected thing I've ever seen in an OOTP news story.

Your avatar and this post could not possibly be a better fit...

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

OctoberBlues posted:

Your avatar and this post could not possibly be a better fit...

Nah, it could be - I could have a Jed Bartlet avatar. But yeah, that's like half the reason I posted it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just got my download link and am at work for another six hours :saddowns:

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

You think that's bad, I forgot to order until this morning and have to wait until Monday.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

I just got my download link and am at work for another six hours :saddowns:

The new manager's homepage is glorious

Each tile is customizable to show whatever you like.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
And those tiles are customizable right? That's going to be awesome. Can't wait to get home tonight and fire it up.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

And those tiles are customizable right? That's going to be awesome. Can't wait to get home tonight and fire it up.

To an extent - you have these to choose from:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Nothing jumps out at me as missing from that list. Awesome.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Exodor posted:

The new manager's homepage is glorious

Each tile is customizable to show whatever you like.

Did you play 16 years already :stare:

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Knock em dead, T-Bone

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Did you play 16 years already :stare:

It's a converted OOTP14 league.

Actually it started life as a OOTP 6.5 league and has been converted to each new edition. I started the league year at 1969, took over my Royals and played out every third game.

The Royals have won 26 Championships. :smuggo:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Exodor, how did you get the Manager Home Page to add more tabs?

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Exodor, how did you get the Manager Home Page to add more tabs?

Increase the window size. You only get two rows at the default size but if you go to File, Settings and change the window size to 1680x1050 you'll get the third row of tabs

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Exodor posted:

Increase the window size. You only get two rows at the default size but if you go to File, Settings and change the window size to 1680x1050 you'll get the third row of tabs

Awesome, thanks :)

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Twice now my starting ace has been pulled in the first inning in simmed games after giving up 1 hit. The guy's well on his way to winning the Cy Young so I don't understand what's going on here. Anyone have any ideas?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Twice now my starting ace has been pulled in the first inning in simmed games after giving up 1 hit. The guy's well on his way to winning the Cy Young so I don't understand what's going on here. Anyone have any ideas?

Check box score to see if he was hurt or if there was a rain delay. Game is pretty quick to pull pitchers after rain delays.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Holy gently caress am I loving the ability to see player ratings relative to different leagues. Even if you only have MLB + Minors, it's worth having on. Being able to figure out how a minor league player rates compared to each level based on something other than guessing based on stats is making managing the entire organisation far less irritating.

Example: I just signed a 19-year old RP with a 20 OVR/54 POT r/t MLB (20-80 scale). Using the system, I found he rated 60 r/t the Florida State League (High-A) but only 20 r/t the Easstern League (AA), so I figure having him start with the Ft. Myers Miracle instead of popping him in Rookie ball and randomly trying to figure out how good a 20 OVR he actually is.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 21, 2014

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

uggy posted:

Check box score to see if he was hurt or if there was a rain delay. Game is pretty quick to pull pitchers after rain delays.

I figured it out and it was the dumbest thing. I'd accidentally set his pitch count to 10 instead of 100, so they would yank him immediately.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

John Wilkes Booth posted:

I figured it out and it was the dumbest thing. I'd accidentally set his pitch count to 10 instead of 100, so they would yank him immediately.

Yeah, you have to be careful of things like that. OOTP will follow your directions exactly, and it won't warn you if you tell it to do something ridiculous. Another common pitfall is the seven-day lineups; make sure you check them every time you sim or have them set to auto-clear, or you'll have a partial lineup in there overriding whatever you set in your depth chart!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Someone on Twitter posted a player cleaning his gun and shot himself. The stories are getting really dark.

I can't wait to play 15, since I've exhausted 14.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Harlock posted:

Someone on Twitter posted a player cleaning his gun and shot himself. The stories are getting really dark.

You can only trade for Pablo Sandoval so many times....

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
In OOTP 13 is there a way to have the real ML teams but all fake players without having do make it yourself in a custom league? I'd love to play the MLB from about 1920 or so onward with expansions, relocations, expanded playoffs, etc coming at the correct historical times, but without the advantage of knowing which players to draft/trade for during certain historical times to kind of up the challenge a bit.

I'm sure there's an easy way to do it but I'm an idiot. Also when I try to do something similar to this with fake teams the 2nd draft I do has like 12 players total in the pool. The first draft will have a complete draft pool, the 2nd draft like a dozen players, and then every other draft after that will have a full pool. Is there any way to fix this glitch?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Retail Slave posted:

In OOTP 13 is there a way to have the real ML teams but all fake players without having do make it yourself in a custom league? I'd love to play the MLB from about 1920 or so onward with expansions, relocations, expanded playoffs, etc coming at the correct historical times, but without the advantage of knowing which players to draft/trade for during certain historical times to kind of up the challenge a bit.

I'm sure there's an easy way to do it but I'm an idiot. Also when I try to do something similar to this with fake teams the 2nd draft I do has like 12 players total in the pool. The first draft will have a complete draft pool, the 2nd draft like a dozen players, and then every other draft after that will have a full pool. Is there any way to fix this glitch?

All you have to do is create a historical game, and then disable 'Import historical rookies' in league settings. Then clear the league rosters and delete every player from the free agent pool. Now fill the teams with fictional players. If you want you can clear the rosters again and hold an inaugural draft. The league will evolve and expand like it did in real life but all players will be fictional.

For your draft question, under league rules you can change the number of draft rounds and players generated. You will want about 5 rounds for every level of minors you have. So if you just have AAA, AA and A, you would do a 15 round draft and generate players for 16 rounds.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Harlock posted:

I had a story where a pitcher suffered the loss of his kid :(

Dark, indeed.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Traxis posted:

All you have to do is create a historical game, and then disable 'Import historical rookies' in league settings. Then clear the league rosters and delete every player from the free agent pool. Now fill the teams with fictional players. If you want you can clear the rosters again and hold an inaugural draft. The league will evolve and expand like it did in real life but all players will be fictional.

For your draft question, under league rules you can change the number of draft rounds and players generated. You will want about 5 rounds for every level of minors you have. So if you just have AAA, AA and A, you would do a 15 round draft and generate players for 16 rounds.

If you do this, one thing a lot of people seem to like to do is (after you've cleared everything) run the league on auto for 5-10 years so that the really awful players get flushed out and then reset the historical records so your new league has a fresh start in terms of records and teams don't have to start players with horrible talents.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Did you guys find good photo/logo packs on the forums? Seems harder.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tadashi posted:

If you do this, one thing a lot of people seem to like to do is (after you've cleared everything) run the league on auto for 5-10 years so that the really awful players get flushed out and then reset the historical records so your new league has a fresh start in terms of records and teams don't have to start players with horrible talents.

Actually, it used to be that the players weren't awful, but they were too good on initial generation, so all the season HR records would be set in the first 5 years and what not.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Harlock posted:

Did you guys find good photo/logo packs on the forums? Seems harder.

For OOTP, do you mean outside of the ones you can find on "add-on central"? Those have always worked for me.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I forgot it was a thing, and that worked perfectly. I made the mistake of using every Major League, now it takes forever to sim games.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Has anyone tried out the posting system? I turned it on for the Japanese and Korean Leagues that I have in my game but I haven't seen anyone posted yet (currently in 2016). I had a few Free Agents come over during my second offseason, though.

Also, a PSA for anyone drafting: always check for pitchers that can hit and hitters that can pitch. I got a 5* shortstop in the fifth round because he was a lovely 1* potential closer.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I literally just got OOTP15 on a whim because I thought 'hey I wonder what the appeal of Football Manager is, oh look it's a version of that for Baseball'. I'm still very much new to this and I suspect vastly over my head in some parts, but wow is this game shockingly fun. I didn't expect it to be so detailed, like choosing how to handle each pitch and all, I expected the strategy sliders to be the end of it.

Also it was crushing too accurate when my first day as the Astros' new manager my owner informed me, RE: the goals for the season 'I don't expect anything, do what you want' :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Do you guys tend to play with scouting on or true ratings?

• Locked thread