Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I will preface this by saying I have never read a Dresden blog, rarely post or read here unless I have a question or thought and I am currently on "Changes," maybe a quarter of the way through. Every single book I finish leads me to the same conclusion: we have met the man behind it all. The man behind the Black Council and perhaps everything.

Who is it? ...Ferrovax....

The dragon (small d) made only a small appearance, coincidentally at Byanca's party, or maybe not so coincidentally, and then vanished. He wields massive power, has relations of some type or other with forces beyond the normal beings of the Nevernever and holds a massive grudge against the various forces of the World for disrupting what he sees as balance. It just feels right, considering it wouldn't be something from left field, a perhaps debilitating deus ex machina, or insane double-cross. The question becomes, if Dragons can appear as "anything" has he appeared as other things throughout the series without us knowing?

Now watch this was completely disproved somehow in the end of Changes, Ghost Story or Cold Days :P

You don't have to spoiler text speculation. Besides, I seriously doubt a being as arrogant as Ferrovax would be slinking about in the background, if he acts at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Fried Chicken posted:

Bullets aren't iron and if it was Mab couldn't have touched it

I guess that's true, though how she grabbed the gun is another issue.

To the guy who doesn't post in forums much but is currently reading changes...please post your thoughts post changes, most of the people in this thread love getting reactions from readers as they go through the series.

SageSepthAtWork
Dec 11, 2013

Oroborus posted:

I guess that's true, though how she grabbed the gun is another issue.

Wood handle, no iron

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The barrel and the slide are going to be steel, but it's quite possible that the grip/trigger/etc are going to be polymer.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Wade Wilson posted:

You don't have to spoiler text speculation. Besides, I seriously doubt a being as arrogant as Ferrovax would be slinking about in the background, if he acts at all.

Why not? If his goal is to destroy the Courts, to punish the fae and to hurt the White Council he probably can't do it out in the open? It's somewhat unclear what he wants in a 'balance' but hastening the destruction of many players to establish that balance seems like what has been going on the entire series.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If you're interested in the upcoming Dresden Lives LARP ruleset, Evil Hat is taking playtest applications.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

SageSepthAtWork posted:

Wood handle, no iron

i'm not a gun guy, i know the winchester he had was wood, but at that moment it was the ankle gun murphy carries. Do they make wooden handguns? In the end it doesn't matter it could be "she was wearing gloves" I was just curious.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Oroborus posted:

i'm not a gun guy, i know the winchester he had was wood, but at that moment it was the ankle gun murphy carries. Do they make wooden handguns? In the end it doesn't matter it could be "she was wearing gloves" I was just curious.

No and no. Even guns that have wooden grips still have a center of steel for the frame - none of them are truly wood-handled like you're thinking. I can take pics of my 1911 and Ruger if it will help you visualize it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OptimusWang posted:

No and no. Even guns that have wooden grips still have a center of steel for the frame - none of them are truly wood-handled like you're thinking. I can take pics of my 1911 and Ruger if it will help you visualize it.

Almost anything could have a rubberized grip though.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Almost anything could have a rubberized grip though.

Hogues are a drat blight upon firearms, but you have a point. I've also seen some terrible, tactilol poo poo done with grip tape so I guess anything is possible; I just never pictured Murphy (or Dresden, for that matter) doing that stuff to her pistols.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Fried Chicken posted:

Bullets aren't iron and if it was Mab couldn't have touched it

For the most part that's true, but some ammunition has a steel core to increase penetration, and they make steel shotgun ammunition specifically for waterfowl. The steel core ammo used to be really easy to come by because almost all of the surplus 7.62 was steel core, it was the cheap stuff. Now days most of those rounds are probably in prepers' basements, or comparatively expensive. The steel shotgun shells are only marginally more expensive and easy to find because some states require them out of fear that lead shot will poison the water table. On the other hand since it's for birds it's very small shot so it wouldn't be very effective for defense(this is the stuff an octogenarian walked off after Cheney shot him), but against fae it would go right through defenses and the target would suddenly have over 400 painful, burning, and incapacitating pellets to dig out before they're going to be doing much of anything. Could be interesting. They also sell the pellets separately in 20lb bags, if say Waldo wanted to get creative. I was thinking explosives, but they're small enough you could glue them to pretty much anything you wanted to make painful to fae.

Oh, and relative size is the big reason they aren't very effective. Waterfowl shells would be devastating against say, Toot and the Za' guard. An inch deep 2mm wide wound channel matters a lot more when you're only an inch thick.

OptimusWang posted:

Hogues are a drat blight upon firearms, but you have a point. I've also seen some terrible, tactilol poo poo done with grip tape so I guess anything is possible; I just never pictured Murphy (or Dresden, for that matter) doing that stuff to her pistols.

I could easily see her backup gun being a Glock or Kel-tec, and they're almost all polymer except the slide and barrel. Most concealed carry guns have as little steel as possible to keep the weight down.

On a completely different note, next time Toot-Toot really pulls through, Dresden should buy one of these for him: http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-1516-general-lee-mini-sword.aspx
Little guy would flip out.

Dr. MonkeyThunder fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 16, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Couldn't the parasite that allowed her to outright lie also have affected the whole iron thing?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Maeve was infected with Nemesis, not Mab.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Scintilla posted:

Maeve was infected with Nemesis, not Mab.

This is what I get for posting so late and thinking too clearly. I'd leave it at "was wearing gloves" or "was a polymer framed gun" then. I want to say that Murphy carries a glock of osme variety and that it's been menitoned as such before, but I'm not 100% sure.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I feel bad for Ferrovax. Given what happened to the other powerful magical creature that got a gift at that party...

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

He is clearly now the fiercest bunny.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Wittgen posted:

I feel bad for Ferrovax. Given what happened to the other powerful magical creature that got a gift at that party...

Ferrovax is a big D Dragon (despite XyrlocShammypants's claims that the story and the author are wrong), Mab was able to cleanse Leanansidhe, Ferrovax may have avoided it or may have been able to handle it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Eh, Butcher has said we'll see Ferrovax again in the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy, but probably not before.

He'll probably be put on the chopping block to show how badass the Outsiders really are or something.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

This is what I get for posting so late and thinking too clearly. I'd leave it at "was wearing gloves" or "was a polymer framed gun" then. I want to say that Murphy carries a glock of osme variety and that it's been menitoned as such before, but I'm not 100% sure.

Usually Butcher has her carrying a Sig of some variety, and occasionally a 1911 as well.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think Ferrovax, like everyone and everything else that was at Bianca's party, will prove to be important in some way, sure. I don't quite see Dude What Showed Up For Five Minutes This One Time as the secret power behind the throne. His being allied with/subverted the Black Council/Nemesis is certainly not out of the question, though I don't think we know enough to be sure either way.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I tend to agree that Ferrovax isn't The Big Bad, but will certainly turn out to be A big deal. I think the more important part is his name, Ferrovax, since it contains the root Ferro, meaning Iron. Could he prove an enemy of the Faeries? Mab has referred to technology as Ferromancy before, maybe Ferrovax is equivelent to Mage: the Awakening's Tehcnomancers, hiding magic in plain sight as circuit boards and modernity.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
Just got caught up on this series. I started about two years ago and burned out after Death Masks, then picked it back up a couple of months ago and just finished Cold Days five minutes ago, which was pretty excellent.

ConfusedUs posted:

And I still contend that the final set piece at the end of [Grave Peril] is the most important scene in the series. Almost every major plot in the subsequent books can trace their origins back to there.

I had this quote in my mind all through the last couple of books, wondering if it still held true and concluding mid-way through Cold Days that it probably wasn't that relevant to to the story any more. And then right at the end, wham. Everything is still absolutely predicated on poo poo that happened at Bianca's party.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

We've just about closed off the masquerade as the lynchpin of the series. Changes is taking its place.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Grave Peril was the first episode of the first season, Changes and Ghost Story were the two-part season finale, Cold Days the season premier for the second season.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

ConfusedUs posted:

We've just about closed off the masquerade as the lynchpin of the series. Changes is taking its place.

I'm not so sure I agree with that. Changes is obviously a lynchpin of the series, but it's still all fallout from Bianca's party, and the plot of Cold Days starts there as well.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Grave Peril was the first episode of the first season, Changes and Ghost Story were the two-part season finale, Cold Days the season premier for the second season.

Yeah, this.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I tend to agree that Ferrovax isn't The Big Bad, but will certainly turn out to be A big deal. I think the more important part is his name, Ferrovax, since it contains the root Ferro, meaning Iron. Could he prove an enemy of the Faeries? Mab has referred to technology as Ferromancy before, maybe Ferrovax is equivelent to Mage: the Awakening's Tehcnomancers, hiding magic in plain sight as circuit boards and modernity.

This makes me wonder if dragons in the Dresdenverse somehow represent primal forces as in some real-world mythologies. It could be pretty interesting if Ferrovax turns out to be something like the dragon aspect of technology. It would explain how crazy powerful he is given the rapid technological advancement of the last 100 years and the subsequent widespread adoption of things like computers and then smartphones.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

fermun posted:

Ferrovax is a big D Dragon (despite XyrlocShammypants's claims that the story and the author are wrong), Mab was able to cleanse Leanansidhe, Ferrovax may have avoided it or may have been able to handle it.

I thought Butcher himself said that he was a small D dragon, but the most powerful of his kind. My understanding was a big D dragon won't ever appear in the books, and are near divine beings with phenomenal power over the natural and supernatural world. So while Ferrovax is the biggest of the small D dragons, he's still not a big D dragon.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I thought Butcher himself said that he was a small D dragon, but the most powerful of his kind. My understanding was a big D dragon won't ever appear in the books, and are near divine beings with phenomenal power over the natural and supernatural world. So while Ferrovax is the biggest of the small D dragons, he's still not a big D dragon.

Kinda backwards on that.

quote:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,11033.msg494010.html

6. ferrovax - is this because he's the OLDEST dragon? (i thought it was an empty boast) or because he's a dragon?

Ferrovax feels absolutely no need to boast. It's because he /is/ a Dragon, large D, an elemental force of the cosmos. He isn't some kind of Smaug hanging around a nice apartment. He's a Dragon in a more Asian sense of the concept, a semi-divine being who was once given authority over various portions of the mortal universe, and who was responsible for their orderly procession. There /are/ Smauglike dragons (though not nearly as many now as there have been in the past, thanks George!) but they are essentially nothing but emissaries and servitors created in the image of the real thing.

Regardless of big D or little d, dragons almost universally resent humanity for usurping the balance of power in the world.

quote:

http://bittenbybooks.com/jim-butcher-qa-and-contest-live-here/

“Was Sirothrax a major dragon like Ferrovax or a minor dragon?”

He was the real deal, though he was in some ways the weakest of the remaining great dragons.

Ferrovax wouldn’t have given a drat about some nobody minor dragon being slain.

“Is the Eldest gruff ever going to make another appearance? And in a match of Him and Lea vs Ferrovax, who would you bet on?”

Ferrovax would crush them both, if they had time to get ready, got to pick the time and place, and pulled out every resource at their disposal. It would be brief and brutal, like watching Tyson in his prime, when the fights were all 30 seconds long, except replacing his opponent with a 15 year old blind girl.

There’s just no comparison, there. Lea and Elder gruff are deadly beings. But Ferrovax is a force of nature. MAB would be loathe to take on Ferro, at least head-on.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 16, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

So that makes him even more important then. Thanks for the info! The Butcher blog appears to have their poo poo far more straight (obviously) than the major Dresden wikis which I consulted for the first time.

Also, again, I am not a Dresden fan boy or anything, so if I get something wrong, don't take it as an affront to the Butcher universe or something :P

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 16, 2014

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also, it looks like Bitten By Books has a really sucky comment system or something, since it cuts off every answer from Jim that includes a '. So if he says isn't, the message just ends with isn.

I'm guessing we can lay the blame on Word's smartquotes, but still, annoying.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wonder what Butcher's idea of Death is. I know Skin Game will involve Hades and the underworld in some way, but a lot of fiction separates the two. Death would be another example of a "force of nature" like apparently Dragons are. Not beholden to any specific religious dogma or philosophy, just the literal embodiment of entropy that has always existed in our universe.

Rugpisser
Aug 1, 2007

PHONES DOWN...PHONES DOWN IN THE BACK
Didn't Death make an appearance during Ghost Story, when Forthill gets beaten up

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rugpisser posted:

Didn't Death make an appearance during Ghost Story, when Forthill gets beaten up
IIRC, that was an angel of death, rather than death itself.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Nihilarian posted:

IIRC, that was an angel of death, rather than death itself.

And one of many, to boot. Not even one with that title so much as a guardian to see to it Forthill gets to go to his reward without being tortured by evil spirits first.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I was listening to a butcher Q&A from Kansas city and he said The last time a faerie queen died before recently was the last time there was a star born . I guess that means Harry isn't the only one.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Oroborus posted:

I was listening to a butcher Q&A from Kansas city and he said The last time a faerie queen died before recently was the last time there was a star born . I guess that means Harry isn't the only one.

So back in Summer Knight When Aurora dies there was another starborn involved? Maybe Elaine is a starborn.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Error 404 posted:

So back in Summer Knight When Aurora dies there was another starborn involved? Maybe Elaine is a starborn.

I'm guessing the "before recently" there means it in fae terms. Maybe Merlin was a starborn?

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Arcsech posted:

I'm guessing the "before recently" there means it in fae terms. Maybe Merlin was a starborn?

That is along the lines of what I was thinking.

PreacherTom
Oct 7, 2003

I want to prank them for hours in my basement...

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Against fae it would go right through defenses and the target would suddenly have over 400 painful, burning, and incapacitating pellets to dig out before they're going to be doing much of anything. Could be interesting. They also sell the pellets separately in 20lb bags, if say Waldo wanted to get creative. I was thinking explosives, but they're small enough you could glue them to pretty much anything you wanted to make painful to fae.

Wow. By this logic, a claymore - with its wonderful load of ball bearings - would tear through a battalion of fae like Toot through a pizza.

Tell me this isn't something that Kincaid hasn't considered...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I've thought for a while that the Sidhe better pray vanilla humans never learn to open portals to the Never Never otherwise that poo poo is going to be uglier than Cortez.

• Locked thread