Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Korak posted:

Reprisal seems really strong for its cost.

It was originally printed back in the days when there were barely any big creatures around worth playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I like the dual mode cards that either buff enchantment creatures or act as removal.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I don't know if these were posted but, they're pretty awesome. I took these at PAX.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zorak posted:

I like the dual mode cards that either buff enchantment creatures or act as removal.

Armament of Nyx seems insanely good for limited, and could even be Standard playable. Battle Mastery or Pacifism on the same card?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I like how much Journey encourages you to diversify threats instead of voltroning. The increase of powerful spot removal and strive encourage you to spread out buffs on your team instead of building one insanely strong man.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

What a Judas posted:

I don't know if these were posted but, they're pretty awesome. I took these at PAX.

Isn't that Gavin Veryhey?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zorak posted:

Armanent of Nyx is great.

:(: Oh man, I'm having a little trouble carrying this giant, fuckoff spear.

:smug:: Wow, that's too bad. Maybe if you were Nyxborn-strong like me...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
That Chariot seems really good. Best equipment we've seen in a while, though that's not saying much.
Has there been any equipment that saw significant Standard play since Runechanter's Pike?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Nessian Game Warden possibly could see some play in some Mono Green decks to keep your hand stacked? Its not as powerful as the current options but it does have synergies to keep pumping creatures out every turn.

Satyr Shaman could see play I guess in that Modern Shaman deck? Dunno what the deck wants other than Shaman type.

I'm loving this card even if its expensive.

Korak fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 18, 2014

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I really hope that some sort of janky astral slide deck comes out of the constellation flicker enchantment.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I wish there were some lower costed Constellation cards (in the 1-2 mana range) but not surprised given that it would be really good there.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Solidarity of Heroes really makes me want to keep trying G/W heroic even though I know it's futile. Still going to be insane in limited with Heroic dudes.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Rogue 7 posted:

Solidarity of Heroes really makes me want to keep trying G/W heroic even though I know it's futile. Still going to be insane in limited with Heroic dudes.
Solidarity of Ending Games.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

Sade posted:

I really like the idea that medusa heads are just A Thing that minotaurs sometimes carry into battle, and sometimes a guy will show up at the front line with a sack of medusa heads and hand them out like candy.

"Sorry we couldn't do gorgon tribal, to make up for it minotaur tribal is now gorgon tribal."

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

meanolmrcloud posted:

I really hope that some sort of janky astral slide deck comes out of the constellation flicker enchantment.

Oh poo poo, I managed to somehow miss that.

Freakin' sweet. I'm going to get so much mileage out of that baby.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Chariot is cool in the way that a good kitchen sink (and kitchen table) Magic card is.

Other casual observations

Gluttonous Cyclops is loving hilarious.
Starfall has hella sweet art.
Green now gets an undercosted fatty with a drawback which has been mostly Black's domain. Swarmborn Giant is even a 6/6 for 4. Lacks DD's evasion but has monstrous that could let you kill the Demon in a straight fight. Still worse, I imagine.
And Cymede thinks she's not hurting the mortal cause by supporting Keranos according to Lightning Diadem.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

If more hexproof decks mean less mono black devotion I guess I'm all for that

Can't wait for the "go off" stories with this one in limited with 2 cantrip auras

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Entropic posted:

That Chariot seems really good. Best equipment we've seen in a while, though that's not saying much.
Has there been any equipment that saw significant Standard play since Runechanter's Pike?

I cannot think of any. Wescoe's Civic Sabre deck (wasn't that RTR block only?) is the only one I could even think of outside of Cuneo testing Haunted Plate mail in the super early versions of u/w control. Pike was so good. EOT flash a resto in and hit for 10 youre dead.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Haha, I love Quarry Colossus' bury effect. I love this set and I haven't even played it.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Zorak posted:

Isn't that Gavin Veryhey?

Sure is. He cosplays Jace pretty much all the time.

Loving Life Partner posted:

Haha, I love Quarry Colossus' bury effect. I love this set and I haven't even played it.

Bury meant something entirely different when I started playing.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

This will be so loving annoying in my friends' Bant Flicker EDH decks. :sigh:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

What a Judas posted:

Bury meant something entirely different when I started playing.
I look forward to confusing people with my old-school "Bury target creature with power 4 or greater" Reprisals.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I'm hoping Feast of Dreams ends up being as useful as I think it will be. A limited Doom Blade?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Something interesting from a dude on Salvation:

quote:

I'd say this is the best set of the block, but that's not saying much. This block hasn't really had much that's seen play outside of Standard as of yet(not including EDH/tabletop)., and I don't see this set really changing that. Mana Confluence is the only thing I can see that will definitely be played outside of Standard I recently went through the top 300 cards in Modern and counted up how many times a card from each block appears. I realize Modern does not represent all of Magic (or even much for that matter), but I think the results are a good indication of the power level of the block, not to mention interesting for their own sake (at least I think so Smile ). FYI...Cards that have been reprinted multiple times within the Modern timeframe are credited to their block of origin only (ie. Shocklands count towards Ravnica but not RTR block), older cards that were reprinted during the Modern timeframe count towards the 1st Modern block they appeared in (ie. Terminate counts towards Shards). The results are from MTG Top8.com. Here's the top 300 with top 100 appearances in parentheses:
Top 300 (Top 100)
Core Set: 31 (10)
Mirrodin: 23 (9)
Kamigawa: 8 (3)
Ravnica: 27 (17)
Time Spiral: 26 (5)
Lorwyn: 28 (10)
Shards: 17 (6)
Zendikar: 29 (11)
Scars: 28 (16)
Innistrad: 19 (8)
RTR: 15 (3)
Theros: 8 (2)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I thought they would never do something like this again.

I'm glad they are.

Also, you guys are forgetting something.

First Lamia!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Maybe they don't want minotaur tribal to be a thing in limited (or block) and they're holding off the good minotaur lord until M15? Give goblins a break. Turn digeridoo into some kind of tribal cycle? (This will not happen)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bugsy posted:

Something interesting from a dude on Salvation:

I am not too surprised by this, people threw a fit over Zen/Scars block Standard and people were still pretty unhappy about the power level of Scars/ISD Standard. Unfortunately people now seem to be unhappy about the lower power and creature combat focused Standard, but there seem to be a lot less people unhappy with this than JTMS or Delver.

I think we're going to see a lot more creature combat Standard in the future and I suspect we're going to be seeing a small number of eternal cards coming out of it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Hour of Need looks interesting. It is like a more flexible single-colored Dragonshift, and being able to pay 1U (Strive U) to permanently turn lots of dude into 4/4 Sphinxes at instant speed with Thaumaturge out is kind of sick...

Edit: Oh poo poo! Bloodcrazed Hoplite. Finally black gets a 2 drop Heroic dude! :woop:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 18, 2014

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I absolutely can't wait to Oracle of Bones someone with a Worst Fears in hand. :black101:

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

rabidsquid posted:

I am not too surprised by this, people threw a fit over Zen/Scars block Standard and people were still pretty unhappy about the power level of Scars/ISD Standard. Unfortunately people now seem to be unhappy about the lower power and creature combat focused Standard, but there seem to be a lot less people unhappy with this than JTMS or Delver.

I think we're going to see a lot more creature combat Standard in the future and I suspect we're going to be seeing a small number of eternal cards coming out of it.

There seems to be this huge stigma about combat that I don't understand. One of the biggest complaints about modern Magic from people that have played for a while is that now it's all about combat, as if that means that it's impossible to play a control deck in standard. And what makes this standard more combat based than other recent standards or even Modern? Does a format that use creatures mean that it's necessarily less powerful and less complex?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mango sentinel posted:

Maybe they don't want minotaur tribal to be a thing in limited (or block) and they're holding off the good minotaur lord until M15? Give goblins a break. Turn digeridoo into some kind of tribal cycle? (This will not happen)

But that would make the Minotaur Lord either Red or Black.

It has to be both, we can't have that. :sigh:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Kabanaw posted:

There seems to be this huge stigma about combat that I don't understand. One of the biggest complaints about modern Magic from people that have played for a while is that now it's all about combat, as if that means that it's impossible to play a control deck in standard. And what makes this standard more combat based than other recent standards or even Modern? Does a format that use creatures mean that it's necessarily less powerful and less complex?

I will never understand the hatred for creature combat. People are like "Magic is dumb now, it's all about turning dudes sideways!!!" as if it's ever been about anything but that. There's usually one control build per standard and the rest all have creature win cons. Even the most oppressive Standard decks ever, like Affinity, Faeries, Goblins and Caw-blade, used creatures to do the killing. They just abused broken mechanics and cards to 1) play more powerful creatures faster than any opponent could and 2) stop their opponent from interacting with them in any way. Control has always been a viable archetype, and control plays almost no creatures, but it usually wins via Aetherling. And esper/UW control is a top tier deck this season! What are people complaining about? Do they want a return to Jargrim/Storm days? Pro tip: that sucked really hard. People who want cards on the level of Cryptic Command and Bitterblossom in Standard either forgot what it was like or never played when Cryptic Command and Bitterblossom actually WERE in Standard (alongside Thoughtseize, and Clique, and Mutavault...)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The only decks in Standard that don't win by turning dudes sideways are Boros Burn and eye-gouging U/W/x control decks that just cycle Elixirs. All other decks win by turning dudes sideways, including Aetherling and Elspeth tokens.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

When people complain about "turning dudes sideways" they're exaggerating about the lack of non-creature options and don't literally mean "this format is 100% creatures and I wish it was 0% creatures." You know this. Come on. Wishing there were more non-combat ways to interact doesn't mean "Drownyard as coreset staple or we riot."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

What's wrong with some old fashioned man to man fightmuscle? Turning dudes sideways is a true testament to strength and vigor!

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

AlternateNu posted:

The only decks in Standard that don't win by turning dudes sideways are Boros Burn and eye-gouging U/W/x control decks that just cycle Elixirs. All other decks win by turning dudes sideways, including Aetherling and Elspeth tokens.

And Murdergoats... :D

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

When people complain about "turning dudes sideways" they're exaggerating about the lack of non-creature options and don't literally mean "this format is 100% creatures and I wish it was 0% creatures." You know this. Come on. Wishing there were more non-combat ways to interact doesn't mean "Drownyard as coreset staple or we riot."

Yeah, but that's the thing, noncreature stuff has been rather limited to a few things like storm, counterspell decks, and a handful of other things. Plus we have a color tied to creatures that just kind of sucked for the longest time for the most part.

If we step back on the creature options, I'm rather wondering what roles each of the colors would fall into, because it seems like in a post-creature-based world of Magic, you just uproot green from its new and honestly better spot without careful consideration.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Even the most oppressive Standard decks everin the past decade only, like Affinity, Faeries, Goblins and Caw-blade, used creatures to do the killing.

There's a correlation between people that played prior to the modern card frame border and people that whine about herp derp dudes sideways.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

AnacondaHL posted:

There's a correlation between people that played prior to the modern card frame border and people that whine about herp derp dudes sideways.

Before Scars-Innistrad Standard, the last time I played Constructed was Combo Winter...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Can ragemonger reduce the bestow cost of gnarled scarhide?

• Locked thread