Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

No, he's being deceitful but not presenting himself as a different individual.

If I don't say what I had for breakfast, I'm not creating a new persona who didn't eat a bagel. I'm just lying. You might be surprised upon finding that out, and even say I'm not the person you thought I was - but that doesn't literally mean I presented myself as a separate, distinct and specific person who doesn't eat bagels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah. It's not a retcon thing. They debut in the Brotherhood, spend about a year being villains, then join the Avengers for like 40 years.

So then what about Beast? He's been an Avenger for nearly as long. (Quicksilver/Witch have been members 50 years, Beast 40 years)

I guess what I'm wondering is, were individual characters accounted for in the Marvel/Fox contract, and it specifically said both studios had rights to Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch? Or was it more along the lines of specific circumstances, a set of rules that decide who gets which characters?

Or did Marvel get the twins as a result of further negotiations? I'm sure no one has the real answers but I sure would be interested to know.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

XboxPants posted:

So then what about Beast? He's been an Avenger for nearly as long. (Quicksilver/Witch have been members 50 years, Beast 40 years)

I guess what I'm wondering is, were individual characters accounted for in the Marvel/Fox contract, and it specifically said both studios had rights to Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch? Or was it more along the lines of specific circumstances, a set of rules that decide who gets which characters?

Or did Marvel get the twins as a result of further negotiations? I'm sure no one has the real answers but I sure would be interested to know.

It's not just that they've been Avengers that long, but that they were main characters in the stories.

The contract would only spell out what Fox has the rights to. It's not like they were splitting up all of Marvel's properties, there would be no need to include language for anything but what Fox was getting.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Oswalt's 'welcome' gesture as SHIELD not SHIELD entered Providence made me :lol: more than it should have. That's pitch-perfect casting. His lines weren't as great as they could have been but considering all the show's night-night Icer gun scenes I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

XboxPants posted:

Beast debuted in X-Men, spent a few years with the Avengers but came back to the X-Men in X-Factor #1 and has been an X-Man ever since. He's pretty clearly an X-Man way more than he is an Avenger. Hell he's one of the founding X-Men!

That said, I'm pretty sure it went by book of origin. Did you debut in X-Men (or associated books)? Then Fox gets you. If not, you stay with Marvel/Disney. They had specific negotiations for Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch because the latter two debuted in X-Men but are integral to the Avengers. Hence the pair of them showing up in two completely unrelated films in back to back years (Days of Futures Past and Avengers 2). I don't think they made any particular exceptions for anyone else, or if they have, I missed hearing about it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

jng2058 posted:

Beast debuted in X-Men, spent a few years with the Avengers but came back to the X-Men in X-Factor #1 and has been an X-Man ever since. He's pretty clearly an X-Man way more than he is an Avenger. Hell he's one of the founding X-Men!

That said, I'm pretty sure it went by book of origin. Did you debut in X-Men (or associated books)? Then Fox gets you. If not, you stay with Marvel/Disney. They had specific negotiations for Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch because the latter two debuted in X-Men but are integral to the Avengers. Hence the pair of them showing up in two completely unrelated films in back to back years (Days of Futures Past and Avengers 2). I don't think they made any particular exceptions for anyone else, or if they have, I missed hearing about it.

Beast was an Avengers for brief peroids of time and appeared in X related titles for most of those years. When it comes to Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch their home title has been Avengers. The only X title that either has been a major part of since the 90s has been X-factor and Uncanny Avengers.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Is there any speculation on the identity of the guy that stopped to look at Garrett when he says "Follow your dreams"? I'm not that familiar with Marvel villains and I can't think of any dream-based villains.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

PunkBoy posted:

Is there any speculation on the identity of the guy that stopped to look at Garrett when he says "Follow your dreams"? I'm not that familiar with Marvel villains and I can't think of any dream-based villains.

Spoiler for next episode here, though it has been revealed in various news articles: Blackout, though his powers are a little different than the comics.

Follow your dreams didn't have any hidden meaning or anything, just Garrett being a flippant smart-rear end as he lets a bunch of bad guys loose.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 17, 2014

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

mikeraskol posted:

Spoiler for next episode here, though it has been revealed in various news articles: Blackout, though his powers are a little different than the comics.

Follow your dreams didn't have any hidden meaning or anything, just Garrett being a flippant smart-rear end as he lets a bunch of bad guys loose.

Thanks! And what a glorious smart-rear end he is. :allears:

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

greatn posted:

I just hope the next episode doesn't feature a rape. From the preview it looks like Skye and Ward might bone at some point before he presumably reveals he is HYDRA and either tries to kidnap or recruit her. Which would be sex under false pretenses. If you think about it for any period of time its obviously rape, same as when the guy in Revenge of the Nerds disguised himself as the cheerleaders boyfriend. But I'm a little concerned the writers maybe didn't think it through and are going to throw in a sex scene before the inevitable betrayal.

Ward has now killed multiple S.H.I.E.L.D. agents in cold blood, let Mike Peterson get blown up in front of his kid, facilitated Coulson's capture and torture, murdered an innocent paralyzed man, and showed only mild opposition to Skye getting gutshot to test a theory. Deep cover sex is happening.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

sakeyake posted:

Ward has now killed multiple S.H.I.E.L.D. agents in cold blood, let Mike Peterson get blown up in front of his kid, facilitated Coulson's capture and torture, murdered an innocent paralyzed man, and showed only mild opposition to Skye getting gutshot to test a theory. Deep cover sex is happening.

Skye finds out the truth from all the HYDRA tattoos. And from Ward yelling, "hail Hydra!" at climax. May would've noticed, but she wasn't paying close enough attention.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It'll be Angel losing his soul again. Sex and then now you're a monster!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's the comparison I made. Ward isn't Spike, he's Angelus.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Okay, this last episode is legit great. They somehow managed to retroactively make Ward an awesome character. And he is totally a legit bad guy, the only 'redemption' I can see is via his obvious feelings toward Skye, but it would have to be a 'die saving her' type thing since he's just so cold about shooting good guys, drat.

Also loving the freaky tech callbacks. Can't wait for Graviton to show up again. :allears:

e: Oh poo poo Coulson having a meltdown in the middle of a forest. :suspense:

e2: Ahahaha yesssss Graviton comeback all but confirmed.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 17, 2014

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Metal Loaf posted:

That's the comparison I made. Ward isn't Spike, he's Angelus.
If anyone is Spike, it's Garrett. They're both jovial and wise-cracking, even as they're trying to brutally murder you. They love having power but don't really care for the tedious formalities that others in their position would insist upon. Garrett mocking his own lackey's Hail Hydra salute was totally a Spike move.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Robot Hobo posted:

If anyone is Spike, it's Garrett. They're both jovial and wise-cracking, even as they're trying to brutally murder you. They love having power but don't really care for the tedious formalities that others in their position would insist upon. Garrett mocking his own lackey's Hail Hydra salute was totally a Spike move.

Hail This!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

mikeraskol posted:

They have the rights to Ghost Rider characters back?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Adrian Pasdar should be a good Glenn Talbot. It took me a second to recognize him this week with the mustache.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

jscolon2.0 posted:

They have the rights to Ghost Rider characters back?

The character appearing next week isn't the one you're thinking of (there's been more than one Blackout), but yes.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This may have been mentioned, I don't know, as far back as Cap1... But as cool as it looks, does it bother anyone that the Hydra logo is basically a Skulloctopus, and not a mythical multi-headed serpent/dragon?

I mean they even constantly reference, "cut off one head, two grow back."

Just a little odd.. Like calling yourself the Dragon Society and your logo is a crocodile.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Feenix posted:

This may have been mentioned, I don't know, as far back as Cap1... But as cool as it looks, does it bother anyone that the Hydra logo is basically a Skulloctopus, and not a mythical multi-headed serpent/dragon?

Just a little odd.. Like calling yourself the Dragon Society and your logo is a crocodile.

Yes! I was thinking the same thing the other day. Kinda explains why Garret thought it was an arm instead of the head.

deadicons
Sep 9, 2011

Feenix posted:

Garrett came up with the logo, and at the time thought it was tentacles that grew back.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What an idiot.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Boy, you two are going to feel really embarrassed once you discover the 'dirty joke' in a few years.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Feenix posted:

My 8-year-old made that observation 2 episodes ago. "Shouldn't they be called the skull octopus people? That isn't a hydra."

He's so awesome.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It's a ripoff of the SPECTRE logo from the James Bond movies, which IS an octopus, since HYDRA was originally a SPECTRE ripoff for SHIELD to fight IIRC.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

Feenix posted:

The director of Cap 1 basically explains in the commentary "Yeah we know a hydra is a multi headed being, so that symbol is totally wrong but whatever it looks cool".

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Archaic posted:

The director of Cap 1 basically explains in the commentary "Yeah we know a hydra is a multi headed being, so that symbol is totally wrong but whatever it looks cool".

What an idiot.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It's been a Skulltopus since Dick Ayers, Frank Giacoia, Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, Steve Ditko created it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

If you want an in-story reason, try this one on for size:

1) HYDRA doesn't give a poo poo about the accuracy of old Greek myths.

2) The multi-headed monster doesn't actually represent HYDRA the organization very well, anyhow. Throughout its history HYDRA hasn't really been a bunch of independent cells all operating separately. They've had one main leader in charge. First the Skull, then one of his heirs, eventually Pierce, now Strucker. What gets chopped off and replaced are the various limbs. Wipe out this cell, eliminate that team, no problem, there are two more you haven't heard about yet still doin' their thing. But there's still one uber-boss in charge that they report to.

3) ...which is represented well by what Garrett was saying. "What was it, cut off an arm and two more grow back?" Simmons' correction aside, Garrett's actually hinting at both the actual HYDRA logo and how they operate.

4) Finally, the "skull-topus" is reminding HYDRA of how they were founded...and by who. After all it's a red skull with tentacles out in every direction, just like The Red Skull's first big scheme was to destroy every major city in the world so that HYDRA could take over. Which, when you think about it, is almost exactly what Project Insight in The Winter Soldier was about, just more refined. Rather than one big bomber flying around the world nuking cities with Tesseract Bombs, there's three Heli-carriers going around shooting individuals who would cause problems. No more wasting valuable resources and slaves in blue explosions. Just kill the ones who'll cause problems and the rest will be sheep to lead. Last time, the plan blew up because we had everything staked on one super-bomber. Fine. This time we'll do three!

So yeah, it's not a mythological hydra. But it IS a direct reference to HYDRA's founder and to The Big Plan. And all pointing it out does is gets you on the list for a Heli-carrier bullet to the brain! :commissar:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

The faux comic book cover for next episode is pretty cool. Putting it in spoiler tags just to be safe. If tags aren't necessary, I'll remove them.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 18, 2014

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Who is that supposed to be on the right?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Hand of the King posted:

The Cellist. Coulson's old flame that was brought up in the movies (or was it just Avengers?).

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Hand of the King posted:

Coulsoln's old girlfriend, the cellist, played by Amy Acker

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

The cellist that Coulson was dating during Avengers before his 'death', that he had to cut contact with.

Beaten, edited in spoiler but uh... why was that needing spoiler? It was referenced in the Avengers.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
e: drat, beaten like an ugly hobo

Hand of the King posted:

Not sure, she seems to be some sort of cellist.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Hand of the King posted:

Coulson's cello playing girlfriend from before he died.

Edit: beaten like a double agent about to go back under cover.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sir Spaniard posted:

The cellist that Coulson was dating during Avengers before his 'death', that he had to cut contact with.

Beaten, edited in spoiler but uh... why was that needing spoiler? It was referenced in the Avengers.

Didn't they mention it in this weeks episode to, as info Ward gave Garrett?

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 18, 2014

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Sir Spaniard posted:

Well it's giving away a tiny bit of the plot for the next episode, so might as well spoil tag it to be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't they mention it in this weeks episode to, as infor Ward gave Garrett?

It's been mentioned at least three or four times over various episodes.

• Locked thread