Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

How dark would Galvatron have to be to be "Dark Prime"? That boggles the mind.

Rips out other Transformers' sparks and eats 'em? Consumes humans as a source of Energon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

How dark would Galvatron have to be to be "Dark Prime"? That boggles the mind.

Complete humantian and has spent the last X years providing aid to war-torn countries.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Complete humantian and has spent the last X years providing aid to war-torn countries.
I'm imagining Galvatron helping build houses with Jimmy Carter and Habitat for Humanity in Africa or wherever.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The funniest thing about Galvatron being a "dark Prime" that was built by humans is that the plot was used in the Transformers Prime cartoon, except the character was Nemesis Prime and was 100% straight up Movie Optimus. He even had the identical circular panning camera reveal and spoke exclusively in Movie Optimus quotes. :haw:

Video below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVTJFQEZ7HE

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
It's pretty interesting how weird Prime's opening monologue is in the first film as more Cybertronian history is revealed as the film goes on.

quote:

Before time began, there was the Cube. We know not where it comes from, only that it holds the power to create worlds and fill them with life. That is how our race was born. For a time, we lived in harmony. But like all great power, some wanted it for good, others for evil. And so began the war. A war that ravaged our planet until it was consumed by death, and the Cube was lost to the far reaches of space. We scattered across the galaxy, hoping to find it and rebuild our home. Searching every star, every world. And just when all hope seemed lost, message of a new discovery drew us to an unknown planet called... Earth. But we were already too late.

The Cube was :airquote: lost :airquote:.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Rips out other Transformers' sparks and eats 'em? Consumes humans as a source of Energon?

Funny you mention that because he does that alot in the movie EU, hell one of the video game endings is him congratulating you on your loyalty before jumping on your rear end and eating your face off.

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy

Unrelated, but does anyone get an Iron Giant vibe from that scene with nemesis attacking the base?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

The MSJ posted:

New poster.

I don't know if I'm reaching here or not, but it really feels to me like that ship is designed to evoke an enormous hand. Even if we don't get Unicron, I'm seeing this as a nod to him.

Sefiros
Mar 16, 2006

go radish go

ProfessorProf posted:

I don't know if I'm reaching here or not, but it really feels to me like that ship is designed to evoke an enormous hand. Even if we don't get Unicron, I'm seeing this as a nod to him.

This kind of makes it sound like Lockdown is working for Unicron and his ship is Unicorn's hand or something. Maybe.

Michael Bay posted:

Lockdown is an interesting character. He travels the galaxy, he works for somebody else. And he's here for one person, one alien, and then he's out of here. So he doesn't really want to take sides. The cause and balance of the galaxy is kind of messed up when different species play with different species. And that opens up a whole other gigantic world for Transformers.

Lockdown's ship has a lot of meaning that can go into other movies. There's a lot of backstory about that ship that's not laid out here. You're going to see a few things where you're like 'What is that? And what is that?' And you're going to see a couple shots like, 'Wait a minute, who are they?' But we don't answer those questions."

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/04/11/transformers-age-of-extinction-sets-up-a-new-trilogy-michael-bay-says/

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'd bet on either Quintessons or The Vok over Unicron. Unicron isn't another species, he's just a giant (multidimensional, near-deific) Transformer.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Y'all kind of mistaking michael bay for david willis or simon furman or something.

I'm not guessing, but I bet the answer is going to make everyone mad.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A giant Transformer that literally eats planets? How could Michael Bay not feature it in one of the upcoming movies?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

A giant Transformer that literally eats planets? How could Michael Bay not feature it in one of the upcoming movies?

It's too grandiose. Like it or not, the Transformers films have been fairly grounded amongst the everyday life of the common man. Unicron would set a fairly different tone.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

It's too grandiose. Like it or not, the Transformers films have been fairly grounded amongst the everyday life of the common man. Unicron would set a fairly different tone.

Given the all new cast of humans, a shift in tone may be in store.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Sprecherscrow posted:

Given the all new cast of humans, a shift in tone may be in store.

Given that this is Bay's final film (sadly!) it is certainly possible. I personally think the whole Unicron/Primus thing is one of the goofiest parts of the Transformers mythos and I'm not particularly fussed about it being included either way. I don't see this iteration of the Transformers becoming more epic or universal in scope.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

Given that this is Bay's final film (sadly!) it is certainly possible. I personally think the whole Unicron/Primus thing is one of the goofiest parts of the Transformers mythos and I'm not particularly fussed about it being included either way. I don't see this iteration of the Transformers becoming more epic or universal in scope.

Wait final film ever or final Transformers? If the latter, well he said that about the last one. Which is part of what makes me think this one will be a lot different from the other one's because he was probably bored of the franchise going into this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Milky Moor posted:

Given that this is Bay's final film (sadly!) it is certainly possible.

This is a new trilogy. Maybe he won't direct the next 2 films but he'd still be producing and overseeing anything else they do.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I wonder who will direct if Bay moves on. Must be someone with a connection to him or Spielberg.

Sprecherscrow posted:

Wait final film ever or final Transformers? If the latter, well he said that about the last one. Which is part of what makes me think this one will be a lot different from the other one's because he was probably bored of the franchise going into this.

Bay apparently has a new scifi action adventure he's interested in possibly directing. Either that, or more movies like Pain & Gain. He did say he doesn't want some other director messing with his work.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 18, 2014

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure we're going to move away from being grounded in the common man when the trailer constantly plays up how salt-of-the-earth Mark Wahlberg's character is. Sam Witwicky was a strange figure as far as how relatable he was - he spent a lot of time trying to puff up his image in pretty transparent and unlikable ways, but that was largely a lead up to the brilliant, humanizing job search montage in DotM. The pathetic ego-padding, according to that montage, is exactly the kind of thing that our society claims is necessary to look respectable. It's a survival mechanism.

Cade Yeager seems like he's more honest, like he's playing that game a little less, like he's constantly wearing his blue collar frustrations on his sleeve. At the same time, though, the last character to cloak himself in working-man hero imagery in this series is Optimus Prime, the alien warrior king who dresses up like a big rig.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The MSJ posted:

I wonder who will direct if Bay moves on. Must be someone with a connection to him or Spielberg.

If Turtles does well enough I can see him passing the torch to Liebesman but I really can't think of a director that could follow up Bay.

Comedy answer: Kurt Wimmer :getin:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Give it to Zack Snyder. I don't even know if he's a good match for it, I just want to a) bathe in the tears and b) read CineD when it happens.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Well yeah unicron's a likely choice, but vok or whatever other fannish thing is not.

Most of the inspiration comes from the g1 cartoon and the movie, but the movies are really bay doing what HE wants to do. There's been some left fireld things (The Allspark's name is taken from the legendary failure Beast Machines, the Fallen is taken from the crashing and burning Dreamwave comics, the thirteen original transformers seven original primes? are from the tail end of the marvel comics, and drift is an oft-mocked character from idw) but most of those are in name only (the all sparks was a conglomeration of robot souls and not a magic lifegiving box, drift is now based on a japanese PERSON rather than japanese ROBOTS, etc)

I mean the dinobots and constructicons are pretty basic well known things and even they ended up changed like phrases in a game of telephone. Both ended up far more monstrous and changed members around. I'd think in this of all threads it'd be clear Bay is not here to tell you about transformers

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

Milky Moor posted:

It's too grandiose.

The rules have changed.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

They've also already had Robo Satan in the form of the Fallen.

:shrug:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Give it to Zack Snyder. I don't even know if he's a good match for it, I just want to a) bathe in the tears and b) read CineD when it happens.

I honestly feel that if Snyder took over he would reboot the whole thing into something fans would find more palatable.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Szmitten posted:

I honestly feel that if Snyder took over he would reboot the whole thing into something fans would find more palatable.

Just hand him all the James Roberts IDW comics for inspiration. I'd love to see IDW-based Swerve and Whirl in the movies.

Or maybe Hasbro will realise that James Roberts writes characters and dialogue like Joss Whedon and the inevitable happens...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
IDW Whirl would fit right into the Bayverse without anyone even questioning him. You could almost pretend that Ironhide was Whirl all along and it'd work as far as motivation and dialogue goes in the first movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

For those disappointed you don't see more of Garbage Day in DOTM:

quote:

In celebration of Earth Day, we’ve partnered with Waste Management to bring you an exclusive reveal of a new toy based on a character from Transformers: Age of Extinction — Junkheap. Power Battler Junkheap features a crushing attack claw that when activated can turn Autobots into scrap! Look for this figure on shelves this fall.

There's just something great about Hasbro celebrating Earth Day by associating it with a movie Decepticon, especially after reading this thread. You can see him in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFXiTG2ffu8

Niesse
Aug 23, 2013

Terry van Feleday posted:

- This shot:

A fun thing to try would be showing this shot to someone who has never heard of the films completely out of context and ask them what they think the situation depicted is. I would bet they would identify the people in front as the protagonists and the figure in the back as attacking/threatening them, because that’s how the shot is set up.

I finally got around to doing this!

"That's the bad guy," my brother said promptly, "and it's destroyed all there, and they're running away from it."

"That's Optimus Prime," I said.

"Really?" he said, having a closer look at the picture. "Are you sure?"

And he's seen the movies! although it was a while ago and he may never have seen DOTM. He certainly didn't recognise the shot.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Hi terry, I've just finished reading this. Well done, great work.

One question - when you talk about Sam murdering Dylan you refer to it as Sam and not AllSam, is there a reason for this?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Voice actors for the robots have been announced. Aside from the familiar voices, highlights include Ken Watanabe as Drift, John Goodman as Hound and Frank Welker as Galvatron.

http://michaelbay.com/2014/05/08/john-goodman-and-ken-watanabe-join-the-autobot-voice-cast-in-michael-bays-transformers-age-of-extinction/

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 10, 2014

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I am actually really loving excited about John Goodman not voicing a Pixar character and instead voicing a giant robot.

Honestly, he would've been my choice for Prime if Peter Cullen hadn't signed on.

edit: But what about Grimlock???

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

No Lance Henriksen for Lockdown ? A missed opportunity.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I still find it weird that there's no female robots present anywhere in the series except for about a total of five minutes in the second film, especially after Hasbro was surprised by the fans designing that new one (Windshield?)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Milky Moor posted:

I still find it weird that there's no female robots present anywhere in the series except for about a total of five minutes in the second film, especially after Hasbro was surprised by the fans designing that new one (Windshield?)

Windblade.

And I highly recommend her comic, it has beautiful artwork and VERY expressive characters so far.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Alice left such a massive impact and made a powerful enough statement that I almost forget that robots shouldn't even have a loving gender.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Hbomberguy posted:

Alice left such a massive impact and made a powerful enough statement that I almost forget that robots shouldn't even have a loving gender.

Except for male, the default gender.

Malifaux
May 9, 2014
Wow... People are not kidding when they say Bay likes explosives. I just don't like his panning shots. The worst.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Andrew Verse posted:

Except for male, the default gender.

If all the robots were genderless but we referred to them by male names and 'him' regardless, is that still oppression? Would it be if it was 'her', instead?

Besides, Alice is just his slave name. The gender is an act. But then, when isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Hbomberguy posted:

If all the robots were genderless but we referred to them by male names and 'him' regardless, is that still oppression? Would it be if it was 'her', instead?

Besides, Alice is just his slave name. The gender is an act. But then, when isn't it?

Go back to the Star Wars thread.