Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Back when I first posted in this thread last October, I bought a tiny rex begonia thanks to the picture in the OP. It was in a little 4" pot with a leaf or two. After its first winter (my first winter, too) now here's what it looks like:

This coming spring will be the first spring for me as a gardener. I'm a little excited and nervous now that my backyard is packed full of plants, mostly hibiscus. First thing I taught myself was basically how to overwinter things. Now I'm going to have to learn to get more active to make sure everything's alive and thriving!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That's an awesome begonia! I've got one that I think is the cultivar 'Iron Cross', it's got these heavily textured leaves that are unreal, I'll post a picture of it tomorrow.

I'm also looking forward to spring. I got interested in succulents and carnivorous plants at the end of autumn, which is the worst. I'm planning on mixing up a big batch of my own cactus/succulent soil in the next month so I can have plenty ready for all the repotting I plan on doing. Got a lot of stuff in tiny plastic nursery pots due for an upgrade.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Totally haven't taken pictures of my Begonia yet. I will tomorrow, assuming I don't have work.

In other news, I've started a blog about my carnivorous plants! It's great, because it gives me something to do even when the plants don't need water or food or pruning or whatever. It's only a few posts in, but there's plenty to talk about, so I expect to keep on keepin' on.

Here's a few sample pictures!

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Man, I love sundews. I had one a couple of years back that flowered then died cos of aphids or something (revenge of the insects?)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Spent some time today splitting and repotting the aloe vera we grow. That poo poo is the best for sunburns. Also added some sweet basil to go along with the lemon basil we already had.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
What on earth is this and how do I look after it properly? The leaves are really tough and it flowered last summer - tiny white buds on long whispy stalks.

It's currently sitting in a similar mix to my succulents and cacti but I'm not sure it likes it.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
Looks to be some variety of Haworthia, I don't know enough about them to say which one specifically though.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I believe it's some sort of Haworthia pumila hybrid.

They turn red if you make them angry.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

unprofessional posted:

I believe it's some sort of Haworthia pumila hybrid.

They turn red if you make them angry.

That looks like it's made of meat.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Keep 'em dry and give tons of light and they look awesome. They'll bloom quite often.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
e: sorry wrong thread

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

unprofessional posted:

Keep 'em dry and give tons of light and they look awesome. They'll bloom quite often.

I'm doing it right :)

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Back in November I had some free time and decided to give my old cactus a larger home with some company (it had spent the last 8 years in a tiny dish), so I built a planter and filled it with some succulents.

4 Months later and somehow things are still alive. The ground cover plant died off immediately, I'm not sure why, but everything else has done great and are already starting to expand.

This one sprouted two buds on top, so I plucked one off and stuck it in a new pot. The bud I plucked off was around 1/3rd the size of the one still in this pic.

It's almost doubled in size in just a month. Since this test was successful I'll be plucking the other one off and putting it in another pot.

'Crassula Pagoda Village' - A bit hard to tell, but the tops have started to branch.

I didn't get a good picture of the 'haworthia fasciata' (far right in the first pic), but it has sprouted two more plants, so I'll be repotting those a lot sooner than expected. I had expected this project to be more 'set it and forget it'; I knew with the shallow base I would have to repot things eventually, but I didn't expect them to grow this quick. It's been fun though.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Not gonna lie, pretty adorbs little planter right there.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

J Greedy posted:

Not gonna lie, pretty adorbs little planter right there.

want one. I certainly have enough to populate the hell out of something like that

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
[edit] I found the answer to my question.

Bareback Werewolf fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 30, 2014

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Just a heads up to you plantheads in this thread, the North American Sarracenia Conservancy is having their annual benefit auction over at Terra Forums right now. Non-forum members can place bids, as long as they leave contact information in their guest post. There are a lot of awesome carnivorous plants (and a few non-carnivores) up for auction, so this is an awesome chance to get cool plants and also support a good cause – the NASC is great.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Wasn't happy with how my Adenium was balanced, so I did some work on it. A side branch was too tall, and after the leaf drop that occurred when I repotted it, I didn't like the long bare branches, so I shortened some branches, regrafted the tops, and used some of the lengths of branch to add more branches to the tree.

Before:

Cuts:

A graft union:

And, after. From seven branches before, to ten afterward, my middle branch is tallest, and the shape is much more balanced. Will leave the wrap on until I see growth from each scion:

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I just bought a Venus Flytrap from Home Depot. I had no idea they even sold those there. I was just looking around for a soil pH test kit and I saw them. I have no idea how healthy it is though, they had them inside clear boxes inside the store. It looks like it's kind of a kids educational thing but I bought it because I've always wanted one. I fed it an earwig lol.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

TheLastManStanding posted:

Back in November I had some free time and decided to give my old cactus a larger home with some company (it had spent the last 8 years in a tiny dish), so I built a planter and filled it with some succulents.

That is a seriously fantastic planter and you succulents look great. Now I want to do something similar for bog/marsh plants.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't know where else to ask this but I'm looking for a landscape plant recommendation. Need something hardy and evergreen in zone 7, height 5-6 feet, spread 5 feet, shade tolerant (NE side of house). I want to plant this next to my deck as a wind break, semi-privacy. Tried online plant pickers and suggestions were :
rhododendron - have one at the opposite corner of the house and I like it, not big enough though
ninebark - never heard of these but I don't care for the pics I googled
Euonymus - I have 3 Gold Dust and love them but none have grown big enough to fill the space I have
Boxwoods didn't come up in the search but I hate them.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Try Abies nordmanniana 'Golden Spreader.' Grows slow and fat and has awesome color. Another cool choice would be Cedrus deodara 'Deep Cove.'

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

SweetKarma posted:

I just bought a Venus Flytrap from Home Depot. I had no idea they even sold those there. I was just looking around for a soil pH test kit and I saw them. I have no idea how healthy it is though, they had them inside clear boxes inside the store. It looks like it's kind of a kids educational thing but I bought it because I've always wanted one. I fed it an earwig lol.

Venus flytraps are really easy to mass produce, and the Home Depot ones are not well tended. You're going to have to pay close attention to save its life. First, you want to gradually take the humidity cover off so as not to shock the plant. Take it off over the course of a couple days. Once that's done, move your plant outside, again slowly. Start it in shade, then partial sun, then full sun. Get a small tray to set it in and keep it maybe a half inch full of distilled or RO water only, not tap or drinking water.

If you do all of that, and don't trigger the traps all the time, you'll probably have a nice plant. If you keep it inside it will probably die. If you use tap water it will definitely die. If it dries out it will die. If you trigger traps all the time they will die one by one until the rhizome dies.

Venus flytraps aren't too hard to care for, but they have specific requirements that most people who buy the tissue cultured hardware store plants don't know or don't follow. Good luck.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

unprofessional posted:

Try Abies nordmanniana 'Golden Spreader.' Grows slow and fat and has awesome color. Another cool choice would be Cedrus deodara 'Deep Cove.'

The Golden Spreader is a nice suggestion, I like it. I'd still need something with a little more height. The Deep Cove is too big. I forgot to mention this will be in a corner of my house and deck, so anything too big will cover the windows or grow against the house.

SweetKarma posted:

I've had a few. I transplanted mine into a clear kitchen container, the kind you would keep flour in (those make great little terrariums). It lived for a long time until I started feeding it.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
An alternate choice that would grow higher than you want, but be very narrow (so possibly not blocking windows), would be a row of two or three Picea glauca 'Pendula,' a very stately conifer. It's going to be hard to find anything that gets as wide as you want without getting taller than you want, as trees never stop growing. A better way of managing it is thinking of the growth rates, and what you can live with, as slower growing will be less likely to get out of hand, but take longer to fill in your space, while faster growth rates will outgrow you space quickly, but better create an effective privacy fence.

Another possibility you might like is Cedrus deodara 'Snow Sprite': http://www.iselinursery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=183:cedrus-deodara-snow-sprite&catid=40:conifers

unprofessional fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 15, 2014

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Kenning posted:

Venus flytraps are really easy to mass produce, and the Home Depot ones are not well tended. You're going to have to pay close attention to save its life. First, you want to gradually take the humidity cover off so as not to shock the plant. Take it off over the course of a couple days. Once that's done, move your plant outside, again slowly. Start it in shade, then partial sun, then full sun. Get a small tray to set it in and keep it maybe a half inch full of distilled or RO water only, not tap or drinking water.

If you do all of that, and don't trigger the traps all the time, you'll probably have a nice plant. If you keep it inside it will probably die. If you use tap water it will definitely die. If it dries out it will die. If you trigger traps all the time they will die one by one until the rhizome dies.

Venus flytraps aren't too hard to care for, but they have specific requirements that most people who buy the tissue cultured hardware store plants don't know or don't follow. Good luck.

I took it out of its little container and put it inside a big mason jar with some distilled water. I've already fed it twice (whoops). I wasn't going to bother it, but there was a fly in the house and I really wanted to show my little nephew how they capture flies. I think it just scared him though. I was planning on keeping it indoors because it gets very hot where I live and it's a dry heat.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

wormil posted:

I don't know where else to ask this but I'm looking for a landscape plant recommendation. Need something hardy and evergreen in zone 7, height 5-6 feet, spread 5 feet, shade tolerant (NE side of house). I want to plant this next to my deck as a wind break, semi-privacy. Tried online plant pickers and suggestions were :
rhododendron - have one at the opposite corner of the house and I like it, not big enough though
ninebark - never heard of these but I don't care for the pics I googled
Euonymus - I have 3 Gold Dust and love them but none have grown big enough to fill the space I have
Boxwoods didn't come up in the search but I hate them.

Your spot would be just about perfect for a camellia. Although they can theoretically get as tall as 25 feet they're pretty slow growers, and take well to pruning. I have two- a Camellia japonica 'Professor Sargent' that's about 6 years old and the same size as what you were looking for (started from 12 inches tall in a 1-gallon pot) and a Camellia vernalis 'Yuletide' that's only about 3 years old which is now about 4 feet tall and spreads about 3 feet. Different species will bloom at different times (japonica is spring and vernalis is winter) but all species smell heavenly when they bloom- faintly like sweet tea. I'm hoping to buy a fall-blooming Camellia sinensis soon as I have a good spot for it so that I can also start making my own tea. :3:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
These are great suggestions. I'll write them down and visit some local nurseries and see how it goes. I'm trying to walk a line between some privacy on the deck without completely blocking the view as we watch each other's houses. Thanks.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Can I get an ID if anyone knows? :)

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Anything special I need to know about Kalanchoe longiflora or Crassula argentea besides not letting the soil dry completely and giving them sun? They're pretty boring now but hey! I got goldfish plants! They started off as just the big one. I'm up to...12? Odds are I'll give away the ones in the Patron bottles, start some more in actual pots. The big one is pushing 40 years old. I know very little other than they are fussy plants.

P.S. Anyone in the Seattle area want one of the small ones?

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 18, 2014

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Hello, spring. :)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

This is Drosera allantostigma, a pygmy sundew from Western Australia. It's a handsome plant and one of my favorites.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Kenning posted:

This is Drosera allantostigma, a pygmy sundew from Western Australia. It's a handsome plant and one of my favorites.

I'm curious if there are any sundew types you would recommend that mature to adults the fastest from seed. I've always thought they were neat plants but I'm also impatient. :v:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Drosera burmanii are extremely fast growing when fed and they can eat a lot. My Drosera intermedia 'Cuba' seedlings are all blooming right now and I started those from seed around Christmas. Really most sundews will grow pretty darn quickly assuming they get lots and lots of light, and are fed fairly regularly (every 2 weeks or so). I feed mine beta fish food.

It's also totally possible to ship adult plants. I do trades all the time shipping plants bare root and they do fine after adjusting for a couple weeks.

The many sundew species are really pretty easy, but I think a lot of people underestimate their light needs. They need lots and lots of light. I wouldn't try to grow most species indoors without supplemental lighting. They fare well outside in full sun though. Do you wanna get into sundews? You should totally do it. I can totally help.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Hummingbirds posted:

Can I get an ID if anyone knows? :)

Looks like Hypoestes phyllostachya (aka Polka Dot Plant) to me.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Looks like Hypoestes phyllostachya (aka Polka Dot Plant) to me.

Thank you!!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I bought a new house recently, and the previous owner (now deceased) was an avid gardener. Every couple weeks something new starts sprouting or blooming, and lots of it we have no idea what they are. Can anyone identify this flower?

The base of the flower with the black lattice looking thing is sort of egg-shaped, and I was expecting that to open up instead of something sprouting out the tip of it. They have a pleasant scent as well. I live in Salem, OR.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

My Pinguicula gigantea is blooming. It's already my most adorable plant. The flower's gonna make it even more so. P. gigantea is a Mexican pinguicula, and one of the few Mexican pings that doesn't go through a non-carnivorous winter dormancy.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

I bought a new house recently, and the previous owner (now deceased) was an avid gardener. Every couple weeks something new starts sprouting or blooming, and lots of it we have no idea what they are. Can anyone identify this flower?

The base of the flower with the black lattice looking thing is sort of egg-shaped, and I was expecting that to open up instead of something sprouting out the tip of it. They have a pleasant scent as well. I live in Salem, OR.

That looks like a cornflower/bachelor button that hasn't fully bloomed yet. (I am not a flower expert!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Would anyone have some suggestions on what to plant to try and help keep biting insects away? I'm already planning a planter with lemongrass, pyrethrum, catnip, and marigold. Anything else I should think about including?