Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Just found this on my computer, props to ever who made it, a masterpiece

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=14xe9gn%3E&s=8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Ahah that Chockers vs IWC video is still going strong?

I'd strung it together in an afternoon as an excuse to test photoshop's video editing abilities. I can't seem to find where the file went :(

Just noticed I'd stuffed up and a few things start off a few frames early because I'd clipped off bits and didn't trim the heads.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

hooman posted:

I'm impressed that our politicians get paid that much and they're still loving corrupt. I mean holy poo poo, is anything ever enough? (no.)

But they have massive mansions to pay for, and a measly 100,000 a year wage is not enough! Think of the pollies!

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I don't really have a lot of time for this anti-pollie stuff. You guys are aware that when you vote Green you're voting for a Green politician, right?

Bob Brown, Adam Bandt, Andrew Wilkie, even people like Nick Xenophon, Clover Moore, and others? They're all parliamentarians. Maybe remember that next time you post about how all parliamentarians are evil shitheads who don't do any work and deserve to be crushed underfoot.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Those On My Left posted:

I don't really have a lot of time for this anti-pollie stuff. You guys are aware that when you vote Green you're voting for a Green politician, right?

Bob Brown, Adam Bandt, Andrew Wilkie, even people like Nick Xenophon, Clover Moore, and others? They're all parliamentarians. Maybe remember that next time you post about how all parliamentarians are evil shitheads who don't do any work and deserve to be crushed underfoot.

"I'm not going to live there. There's no place for me there... any more than there is for you. Malcolm... I'm a monster. What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done."

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Those On My Left posted:

Let's not let a few good apples spoil the whole rotten orchard.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Those On My Left posted:

TBH Anna Politkovskaya has it right. The only way to win is not to play.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

Let's not let a few good apples spoil the whole rotten orchard.

Yeah I get it, lots of politicians are awful people. Here's the thing, though. If you want different laws, they're going to be made by a legislature. You know who's going to sit in that legislature and make the laws? Parliamentarians.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Those On My Left posted:

Yeah I get it, lots of politicians are awful people. Here's the thing, though. If you want different laws, they're going to be made by a legislature. You know who's going to sit in that legislature and make the laws? Parliamentarians.

I actually don't support the parliamentary system, I prefer the philosopher king model of government, so my criticism of politicians and parliament is entirely internally consistent. That being said I also realise the realities of the situation so will vote for the least bad option while using my dry wit to nurture dissatisfaction with democracy in the community at large.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
People blame pollies because it's easier to imagine that things will get better if the symptoms of the disease are hidden or changed. It's easier to hope for the death of one really big baddie than for the deaths of twenty million less-bad baddies.

Really the problem is that we live in an uneducated, barbarian society that reviles the very notion of education and moral compassion.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Problem is media. Democracy relies on an informed populace. Granted News Ltd doesn't help matters, but they exists because people move away from anything that involves reading more then a paragraph.

Oh wait, the problem is actually us

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

People blame pollies because it's easier to imagine that things will get better if the symptoms of the disease are hidden or changed. It's easier to hope for the death of one really big baddie than for the deaths of twenty million less-bad baddies.

Really the problem is that we live in an uneducated, barbarian society that reviles the very notion of education and moral compassion.

Precisely why we need an enlightened incorruptable leader to rule with a just iron fist.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Precisely why we need an enlightened incorruptable leader to rule with a just iron fist.

Or flying unicorns that poo poo rainbow paddlepops

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Capitalism uses democracy to have a veneer if consent for the machine to continue just one more day.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Yes lets instead get an educated and informed populace :allears:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

That's what I'm saying, all 3 options are fundamentally hosed.

A benevolent, educated, powerful, and effective dictator.
An educated, involved, and compassionate populace.
A flying unicorn that shits rainbow paddlepops instead of just lovely licorice flavoured jellybeans.

e: Wait that might have just been rabbit poo poo I was eating

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

You Am I posted:

Blah blah if we don't pay our CEOs politicians enough then we wont have the same quality people going into parliament blah blah

Public sector members of Parliament should be paid the same as Private sector members of Parliament.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Also just in case you're even somewhat serious, power is never invested in just one individual alone. The authority they wield is symbolic and represents the investment of another source of leverage or power, which historically has been at least one of the following (but is typically more):

support of the people
support of the military
support of the oligarchy
support of the aristocracy
support of a foreign power

And when the support or the power of that base wavers, or if they are dwarfed by another factor, the leader tends to get very quickly deposed.

No such thing as a single dictator who isn't dependent on some other foundation that is larger than just him. Sometimes they belong to no party but are instead reliant upon the discrepancy between multiple other groupings, and he can enjoy power while he can still manipulate and control that division, but once one party gains too much traction he gets replaced with one of their own -- and in every case, aligned or unaligned, he is still reliant upon factors outside of his control, and he must appease someone to retain his symbolic authority.

I tossed up adding 'wealth' to that list but wealth in itself has no direct power -- you must still have your ownership of that wealth be recognised. If you're, for example, an ex-oligarch rotting in a Siberian prison, you might understand very well that names on bank statements don't mean much if you've pissed off the guy whose network of supporters dwarfs your own little dollar bills.

e: rouble bills :v:

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 18, 2014

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/colloquy/download/colloquy_issue_20_december_2010/steele.pdf

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The world is a mess and I just need to...rule it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Look it's a pretty tall order but I'm sure I'm up to the challenge.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
I'm only here for the banana paddlepop factional split.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

They have blue splits?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ewe2 posted:

The world is a mess and I just need to...rule it.

Like... bad horse?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Welp, it's Easter Saturday and the budget leaks have already started. Nothing major, just more pension age stuff to the Australian. I wasn't expecting this poo poo until Tuesday though.

Commission of Audit report will hit this week. Mark my words.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Those On My Left posted:

There are some Greens pollies who definitely fit that typical political template, but Bob Brown seems to have been a great one. He quit when he was arguably best places to gain more power than ever.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

bell jar posted:

They have blue splits?
Have they stopped calling the red ones redskins?

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Haven't seen any of this here

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...campaign=buffer

quote:

An Australian customs ship entered far deeper into Indonesian waters than has previously been disclosed despite having digital navigational charts that displayed the correct boundaries of Indonesia’s territorial baselines, casting doubt on some of the findings of a review commissioned to investigate the incursions.

The Ocean Protector entered Indonesia’s internal waters – placing it nine kilometres inside the country’s territorial seas and just 27 kilometres from Indonesia’s shore – on 14 January in Pelabuhan Ratu bay, according to digital navigational maps from the vessel, seen by Guardian Australia and published here.

quote:

The redacted version of the classified report, obtained by the Australian Associated Press under freedom of information laws, said: “Entry to Indonesian waters was inadvertent, arising from miscalculation of the maritime boundaries, in that the calculation did not take into account archipelagic baselines.”

Crucially, the report adds: “Territorial seas declared by foreign nations are generally not depicted on Australian hydrographic charts.”

But the digital map from the vessel casts doubt on these findings, and clearly shows the Australian ship crossing the red line that marks the point of Indonesia’s baselines and entering its waters past the headlands near Pelabuhan Ratu bay. Indonesia’s territorial seas are 12 nautical miles further out from where the baselines are marked in red. It is not known whether the digital mapping device was operational at the time the Ocean Protector entered Indonesian waters.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/17/navy-chief-sacks-commanding-officer-involved-in-indonesian-incursions

quote:

The chief of the Australian navy has sacked a senior commanding officer involved in one of the incursions into Indonesian waters.

Vice Admiral Ray Griggs announced on Thursday that one commanding officer would be removed from command and another would be administratively sanctioned in relation to a series of incursions into Indonesian waters that occurred in December and January.

“Each of the commanding officers conducted these activities with the best of intent; however, I expect nothing but the highest standards of those in command,” Griggs said.

“These actions are not punitive in nature but are aimed solely at upholding the professional standards that the Royal Australian Navy is renowned for and that are necessary for it to undertake its mission.”

The announcement came on the same day Guardian Australia revealed that one of the Australian customs vessels involved in the incursions went far deeper into Indonesian waters than had previously been disclosed. It is not known whether the sackings are connected to Guardian Australia’s revelations.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Maybe I missed something but thinking politicians are over paid is hardly anti politician. Say that they had their pay locked to twice the average individual income (calculated ignoring the top ten and bottom ten percent) and with rules about what jobs you can and can't have before and after your stint in parliament(like the energy minister can't go to or come from an oil company). That wouldn't be anti politician just more counter rich oval office.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

andelazo posted:

The chief of the Australian navy has sacked a senior commanding officer involved in one of the incursions into Indonesian waters.

Vice Admiral Ray Griggs announced on Thursday that one commanding officer would be removed from command and another would be administratively sanctioned in relation to a series of incursions into Indonesian waters that occurred in December and January.

“Each of the commanding officers conducted these activities with the best of intent; however, I expect nothing but the highest standards of those in command,” Griggs said.

“These actions are not punitive in nature but are aimed solely at upholding the professional standards that the Royal Australian Navy is renowned for and that are necessary for it to undertake its mission.”

The announcement came on the same day Guardian Australia revealed that one of the Australian customs vessels involved in the incursions went far deeper into Indonesian waters than had previously been disclosed. It is not known whether the sackings are connected to Guardian Australia’s revelations.

:ironicat:

Not punitive, merely sacrificial.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Hi if you stop paying pollies a decent wage (like, obviously not as high as it is now, but at least around the mean wage) then only independently wealthy people will be able to be politicians and the ones who aren't super rich will be even more easily corrupted since they won't be able to support themselves comfortably. Marx pointed this out over 150 years ago hth

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Tony Jowns posted:

Hi if you stop paying pollies a decent wage (like, obviously not as high as it is now, but at least around the mean wage) then only independently wealthy people will be able to be politicians and the ones who aren't super rich will be even more easily corrupted since they won't be able to support themselves comfortably. Marx pointed this out over 150 years ago hth

Yep. As an earlier poster said, the issue isn't that they're paid too much, the issue is that the stick isn't big enough or used with any degree of regularity. Politicians don't fear the repercussions of corrupt behaviour nearly as much as they should. Politicians found to have taken bribes or incentives from companies seeking tender and the like should be jailed for extensive periods of time.

Funny how they're all for "setting examples" when the crime is blue-collar, plebian poo poo, but when it comes to white collar crime will go "well, cost of doing business, rah rah rah".

That said, I do have a huge issue with politicians going on to cushy private sector board jobs after politics and using their strong ties with Governments / Canberra to influence politics as much as they do (I'm looking at you, Downer). I'd almost want to say "if you are a recipient of the political pension, you give it up permanently (and all other associated benefits like paid travel) if you take on private sector work after politics".

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Senor Tron posted:

There are some Greens pollies who definitely fit that typical political template, but Bob Brown seems to have been a great one. He quit when he was arguably best places to gain more power than ever.

Bob Brown wanted a stranglehold on the Greens. I wouldn't call him "typical political" and I do think he did it out of a genuine desire to do good and improve Australia, but he wasn't a saint as far as politics goes. His chief of staff, Ben Oquist, was the one getting involved in preference negotiations outside the state branch structures to help SHY keep her seat in 2013.

Speaking of the typical political template, Sarah Hanson-loving-Young. Ugh.

Tony Jowns posted:

This. I think there's definitely a cap of diminishing returns, but paying politicians nothing will just make it even more of a plutocracy than it is now.

I personally think MP salaries should be fixed to some multiplier of the median wage.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

andelazo posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/17/navy-chief-sacks-commanding-officer-involved-in-indonesian-incursions

Did the orders come down from on-high to head straight into Indonesia's territory (most likely as a 'you know what to do *wink, nudge*), or is the culture so bad the commanding officers just think "screw it, no one will care"? It's all a clusterfuck, but I'd be keen to know if it was pressure from above, the commanders wanting to prove how much they are for the cause, or just no one thinking maritime law is actually worth worrying about.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
My money's on all three.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
For a thread renowned for the stupidity about which we will argue passionately poli pay/poli bastard chat is a new low.

Two points

1/ Even at half a mil a year poli pay is cheap in the scheme of things. If you were looking at financial measures to help correct how poo poo our system is working I'd focus on the multi-millions spent on political advertising that is funded via vested interest lobby groups. No reason we can't also try and find a good place to set politician salaries at the same time but it is in no way the main game.

2/ Poli's are untrustworthy bastards. Were durrr. Power corrupts (etc.) the best we can do is not erode or water down the protections that exist within our system (ie.) seperation of powers, ICAC. The system we are using is among the best ever devised (for keeping the masses down trodden indefinitely), so unless you ARE advocating wholesale change then build a bridge and get over it.

--------------------//---------------------------

Connected to one above. Visiting my Mum and Dad is a real eye opener. In the normal course of my life I haven't been exposed to ACA and commercial news for over a decade. :catstare:

Last night channel seven were speculating that the upsurge in interest in the royals and ANZAC was kids reacting against the lefty boomer propaganda agenda. I'm a rebel and I'll never, never see any sense. :aaaaa:

More depressing is my Mum's wholesale adoption of the :shrug: to Human Rights stance because:

Channel Seven said that there would be more foreign language speakers than whities in Australia by <DATE NUM#> and
ACA said that all the burqua wearing terrorists at Coles have more kids than us whities and we'll be over run :supaburn:

------------------------//---------------------

Speaking of Coles, I sincerely hope it wasn't a goon that I told off for speeding in the Coles Carpark in Sherwood, cause that will be awkward tomorrow.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

quote:

Two weeks after receiving the bottle of Grange Hermitage that would lead to his resignation as premier, Barry O'Farrell was preparing to appoint the man who bought the extravagant gift, businessman Nick Di Girolamo, to a well-paid position on a government board.

A May 3, 2011, email from the director general of Mr O'Farrell's department, Chris Eccles, introduces Mr Di Girolamo to senior departmental officers as ''our replacement board member''. Attached is a biography and photograph of Mr Di Girolamo forwarded by Mr O'Farrell's then chief-of-staff, Peter McConnell.

When Mr Di Girolamo's name was raised for a board appointment in the May email, Mr O'Farrell had failed to declare that only two weeks earlier he had been the recipient of a $3000 gift from Mr Di Girolamo.

The email raises further questions about the former Premier's claim that he cannot remember the lavish gift, which the Independent Commission Against Corruption this week revealed was delivered to Mr O'Farrell's then Roseville home on April 20.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/job-offer-after-wine-gift-20140418-36wg1.html

So that bottle of Grange can't have been that forgetabble...

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Cartoon posted:

Last night channel seven were speculating that the upsurge in interest in the royals and ANZAC was kids reacting against the lefty boomer propaganda agenda. I'm a rebel and I'll never, never see any sense. :aaaaa:

Can someone actually point me to evidence of this because I've been looking amongst the left and right for evidence of it and (anecdotally :v:) I can't find any. Is this just poo poo people have made up to feel better somehow or have I just never interacted with a monarchist in my life.

e: unless they're talking about literal actual children kids in which case yeah of course you dumb motherfuckers, kids grow up being told stories about kings and queens, of course they're going to be going "whoa, those things are real! Wicked sick, cowabunga." and then be disappointed when they find out wizards and dragons aren't.

Seagull fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I personally think MP salaries should be fixed to some multiplier of the median wage.

That's what I said.

Cartoon posted:

For a thread renowned for the stupidity about which we will argue passionately poli pay/poli bastard chat is a new low.

Two points

1/ Even at half a mil a year poli pay is cheap in the scheme of things. If you were looking at financial measures to help correct how poo poo our system is working I'd focus on the multi-millions spent on political advertising that is funded via vested interest lobby groups. No reason we can't also try and find a good place to set politician salaries at the same time but it is in no way the main game.

2/ Poli's are untrustworthy bastards. Were durrr. Power corrupts (etc.) the best we can do is not erode or water down the protections that exist within our system (ie.) seperation of powers, ICAC. The system we are using is among the best ever devised (for keeping the masses down trodden indefinitely), so unless you ARE advocating wholesale change then build a bridge and get over it.
Totally agree with the first point.

Second point not so much some changes to the control over what polies get paid and what they can and can't do after working in government is hardly wholesale change. Was it a wholesale change to our system when women got the vote? What about when blacks got it?

It's a political topic this is a politics thread what's your problem? I've leaned something from it already so it's better than another few hundred pages of death is certain out burger chat.

Tasmantor fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 19, 2014

• Locked thread