Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

New Coke posted:

My boss brought that up around me. He seemed to feel that Ukraine should be a part of russia because Slavs are all one big family (he actually said 家). He also felt that the Celtic nations should all be one big country separate from England. He's really surprisingly well-versed in European history, but he draws the strangest conclusions from it.

Ask him what he thinks about the Sudetenland. :can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MeramJert posted:

Why doesn't anyone ask what I think about it?

why would anyone here in the china thread care what internet poster meramjert thinks about it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

goldboilermark posted:

why would anyone here in the china thread care what internet poster meramjert thinks about it

I don't know! Especially since I don't know enough about the situation to have an informed opinion.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well this was a massive waste of like five posts

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Good thing we're in a post scarcity postconomy

Traveler
Sep 13, 2006

MeramJert posted:

Why doesn't anyone ask what I think about it?

What do you think about it?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

Well this was a massive waste of like five posts

meramjert has posted way more than five times since :regd05:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
主权 (zhǔquàn) -n. The right of 我国 to 解放 so many places that always belonging China, no other place bah-tuh China hyaving 主权, only China have. For example, all Taiwan 省 people being ouwa bruzztthha, and it China's 主权 to tell Ma先生 opening trade deals with us and crush terrorist protests, why they hate China? 主权 very important for China Xinjiang, China Xizang, China Diaoyu, China Taiwan, China Hongkong 等等. Because 主权 only about China, so drawing parallels between sovereignty issues that happen in other regions and in places that do not affect my very limited world view will be totally lost on me and I will never be able to break out of my ridiculous nationalism thank you

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

systran posted:

主权 (zhǔquàn) -n. The right of 我国 to 解放 so many places that always belonging China, no other place bah-tuh China hyaving 主权, only China have. For example, all Taiwan 省 people being ouwa bruzztthha, and it China's 主权 to tell Ma先生 opening trade deals with us and crush terrorist protests, why they hate China? 主权 very important for China Xinjiang, China Xizang, China Diaoyu, China Taiwan, China Hongkong 等等. Because 主权 only about China, so drawing parallels between sovereignty issues that happen in other regions and in places that do not affect my very limited world view will be totally lost on me and I will never be able to break out of my ridiculous nationalism thank you

:eng101:~~*THE MORE YOU KNOW*~~:eng101:

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

New Coke posted:

My boss brought that up around me. He seemed to feel that Ukraine should be a part of russia because Slavs are all one big family (he actually said 家). He also felt that the Celtic nations should all be one big country separate from England. He's really surprisingly well-versed in European history, but he draws the strangest conclusions from it.

:hist101:

I don't know about one big country, but the conclusion that Celtic people should be, or might want to be, separate from England makes a lot of sense considering what the Jutes, Angles, and Saxons did to the Welsh and the rest of the British Isles. (Arguably this process has been going on for some time, too, and continues to do so today. What did you vote, GhostBob? Or should I say...which option did you pict? :thejoke:)

The very word "Wales" is hilarious when you consider its etymology: it comes to us from a derogatory Anglo-Saxon term applied by the invaders to the native Celts and actually means "outsider" or "foreigner." That's right -- the Anglo-Saxons invaded England and then effectively branded the Celts foreigners in their own land.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Ruslana Lyzhychko is my Florence Nightingale.

Also, whatever happens Ukraine will become part of the EU in the medium term because Russia is in a hilarious (if you are in to Russian humor) death spiral. Their economy is like something out of Dostoevsky complete with ransacked pockets, pulled hair and a tuberculous infant with no shoes weeping in a corner. But it's all okay because they have a security council veto and the Deputy General has spoken to them personally about several important matters, even though they weren't outfitted with proper shirt fronts and cuffs, he still received them! See how much respect he has! Babushkakin Ruskika Putanovich is held in such high personal esteem!

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 17, 2014

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

blinkyzero posted:

I don't know about one big country, but the conclusion that Celtic people should be, or might want to be, separate from England makes a lot of sense considering what the Jutes, Angles, and Saxons did to the Welsh and the rest of the British Isles. (Arguably this process has been going on for some time, too, and continues to do so today. What did you vote, GhostBob? Or should I say...which option did you pict? :thejoke:)

I really don't know enough on the subject to say whether Celtic independence from England is ultimately worth it, but it's not a completely unfounded idea. What I do find absurd is his notion that coming from distantly related backgrounds would mean that all of the Celtic Nations (yes, including Brittany) naturally belong together, regardless of any more recent political differences. The way he feels about Ukraine and Russia.

This mode of thought doesn't really "fit" with his stance on Tibet or Xinjiang, but it does capture his stance on Taiwan perfectly.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Welp, by now I'm assuming the job in Hong Kong won't work, management stalled long enough that they now need someone there RIGHT NOW and it would take a few months to get me there so they have no other choice but to hire a cheap local kid.
And that's after promising me the job for a few months so now I'm saying gently caress it, it's not gonna work.

Sooo I need a backup plan! Who wants to hire a linux/programmer nerd for $30k/month? I need to send my resumes to IT companies in Vietnam and Cambodia too while I'm at it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

blinkyzero posted:

The very word "Wales" is hilarious when you consider its etymology: it comes to us from a derogatory Anglo-Saxon term applied by the invaders to the native Celts and actually means "outsider" or "foreigner." That's right -- the Anglo-Saxons invaded England and then effectively branded the Celts foreigners in their own land.

The big divide comes mostly from the English Civil War from what I've read and learned in school. Even then it's mostly based on Protestantism and the heavy handed tactics of Cromwell and the Roundheads. Wales, Scotland, and Ireland were all pretty solidly Royalist and seemed to be cool with the less centralized setup of pre-Articles of Union Britain.

It's good to see that China is on the cutting edge of 19th century political thought. Tsargrad in our lifetimes!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

blinkyzero posted:

You should tell him about this and see what he says. Then ask him what he thinks about 新疆 and how it got its name. In case you didn't know it means "New Frontier."

Traveler
Sep 13, 2006

Senso posted:

Welp, by now I'm assuming the job in Hong Kong won't work, management stalled long enough that they now need someone there RIGHT NOW and it would take a few months to get me there so they have no other choice but to hire a cheap local kid.
And that's after promising me the job for a few months so now I'm saying gently caress it, it's not gonna work.

Sooo I need a backup plan! Who wants to hire a linux/programmer nerd for $30k/month? I need to send my resumes to IT companies in Vietnam and Cambodia too while I'm at it.

You may send some to companies in hk. You have had some experience, personally I think it's not difficult at all to get a hkd$30k/month job here.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

How much experience do you have? It's not HK but in Chengdu and therefore might not be "city" enough you, but a programmer with experience could easily make that much. Someone with team-leading skills could make even more.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

blinkyzero posted:

What did you vote, GhostBob?

I don't get to vote sadly because apparently consulates don't support voting in referendums as opposed to elections.

I would vote for independence but that is based solely on Scotland's persistent success in managing their education system, which is also the only policy area I understand in significant detail. In general though, government works better in Scotland because most people are more left wing and always have been.

The modern Scottish independence movement has bugger all to do with the rise of a mighty nation of red headed sea people and much more to do with the fact that we loving hate Margaret Thatcher. Were it not for the persistent political divides between Scotland and England then the Union would be bimbling along quite happily but people in the South East just keep voting Tory and making everything poo poo for everyone else everywhere else.

If you look at the genetic stock then you'll find that the predominant gene stock in all areas comes from the people who left the Iberian peninsular after the Younger Dryas. Even in England the proportion of people with mitochondrial DNA that marks them as "Anglic" or "Saxon" rarely tops 15%, except in parts of Norfolk.

I recommend Stephen Oppenheimer's The Origins of the British for this one.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

New Coke posted:

Xinjiang and Turkey should be one country.

Lorebane
Mar 14, 2014

Oats, hay, fear! The power of the Tri-Horse!

VideoTapir posted:

Xinjiang and Turkey should be one country.

You mean Turkey should be part of China?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Senso posted:

Send me your cv.

I know a few friends who love back-end linux programming.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Magna Kaser posted:

How much experience do you have? It's not HK but in Chengdu and therefore might not be "city" enough you, but a programmer with experience could easily make that much. Someone with team-leading skills could make even more.

I've been working with Linux for 10 years now, same for Python/PHP/what have you. I just don't have a degree, I learnt everything myself. I don't really like management positions but I understand that that's what most ~white people~ get in Asia so I'm willing do step on that. I did two years in Vietnam as management/team lead, I didn't really enjoy that part of the job to be frank. I prefer tech stuff.

Hey I've applied for a job in the Cayman Islands, that would be pretty loving awesome too!

caberham posted:

Send me your cv.

Let me know where to send it (by PM, wechat, whatever), who knows!

Senso fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 18, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's not really in the tourist brochures but the Cayman Islands get regularly hosed up by hurricanes. They are low lying islands right in hurricane alley. Just something to think about in terms of permanent living arrangements.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Arglebargle III posted:

It's not really in the tourist brochures but the Cayman Islands get regularly hosed up by hurricanes. They are low lying islands right in hurricane alley. Just something to think about in terms of permanent living arrangements.

Oh I know. Nothing is permanent, I'm not moving anywhere thinking, "permanent!" And I don't really care about potential house destruction, but maybe that's just because I grew up in a no-earthquake/no-hurricane area. :shrug:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arglebargle III posted:

Anywhere near the equator is usually Hurricane free though (and I think stuff near the northern part of South America gets less storms than other parts of the Caribbean).

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The big divide comes mostly from the English Civil War from what I've read and learned in school. Even then it's mostly based on Protestantism and the heavy handed tactics of Cromwell and the Roundheads. Wales, Scotland, and Ireland were all pretty solidly Royalist and seemed to be cool with the less centralized setup of pre-Articles of Union Britain.

It's good to see that China is on the cutting edge of 19th century political thought. Tsargrad in our lifetimes!

I'm not sure I'd call Scotland solidly Royalist in light of the Bishops' Wars and the crown's suppression of the rebellion immediately prior to the Civil War. Then again, that was mostly over religious polices, though a lot of ink has been spilled debating whether or not the Scots were merely using their beef with the Church of England as a pretext for some kind of proto-nationalistic secular uprising.

GuestBob posted:

I don't get to vote sadly because apparently consulates don't support voting in referendums as opposed to elections.

I would vote for independence but that is based solely on Scotland's persistent success in managing their education system, which is also the only policy area I understand in significant detail. In general though, government works better in Scotland because most people are more left wing and always have been.

The modern Scottish independence movement has bugger all to do with the rise of a mighty nation of red headed sea people and much more to do with the fact that we loving hate Margaret Thatcher. Were it not for the persistent political divides between Scotland and England then the Union would be bimbling along quite happily but people in the South East just keep voting Tory and making everything poo poo for everyone else everywhere else.

If you look at the genetic stock then you'll find that the predominant gene stock in all areas comes from the people who left the Iberian peninsular after the Younger Dryas. Even in England the proportion of people with mitochondrial DNA that marks them as "Anglic" or "Saxon" rarely tops 15%, except in parts of Norfolk.

I recommend Stephen Oppenheimer's The Origins of the British for this one.

Liberals. Gross. Ukip is the only answer! :britain:

Actually I don't have much idea where I'd stand politically in the UK. I'd probably want to be a Tory because I am a horrible baby-eating (but not baby killing! :catholic:) Republican, but virtually every Tory I've read about seems like a goddamn idiot. (Sadly this is true for the modern GOP in the States too.) I have sympathies for Thatcher but what she did to Scotland was horribly shortsighed and just generally awful, it strikes me.

Sucks about not getting your vote counted. I almost had a similar issue with the US embassy in Beijing frigging up our paperwork when we voted for president in 2012. I suppose in the end my vote didn't matter anyway. :smithicide:

caberham posted:

synertia always seems to be looking for some back-end programming.

:mrgw:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

blinkyzero posted:

I have sympathies for Republicans but what they did to policy was horribly shortsighed and just generally awful, it strikes me.

It helps to understand that the modern GOP/Tories essentially won every policy fight they cared about 20 or 30 years ago and have lost their political purpose as a movement. They can't help but make asses of themselves because they have nowhere left to go but outside the limits of accepted discourse and policy. You can't be "stronger on defense" than a Democratic president without literally torturing your enemies. You can't be more fiscally conservative than a Labour government without literally causing a recession. That the modern right has crossed those lines is evidence of how thoroughly it has prevailed and thus made its own movement obsolete.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 18, 2014

stubinator
Sep 24, 2013
I received a Tourist L Visa last October. I only applied for a Single 30-day Entry Visa, but I just now realized I was somehow given/upgraded to a 12 month / Multiple Entry / 60 day duration Visa.

Is this normal for a US citizen? Can I re-enter China even though my original Visa Application only has the itinerary for one visit?

I have some business to take care of in Dongguan. Mostly factory visits. I trust the people I'm with, but is there much risk on being caught on an L visa? I feel like trying to alter my Visa to an M visa is a waste of time, unless police commonly crack down on this.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

stubinator posted:

I received a Tourist L Visa last October. I only applied for a Single 30-day Entry Visa, but I just now realized I was somehow given/upgraded to a 12 month / Multiple Entry / 60 day duration Visa.

Is this normal for a US citizen? Can I re-enter China even though my original Visa Application only has the itinerary for one visit?

I have some business to take care of in Dongguan. Mostly factory visits. I trust the people I'm with, but is there much risk on being caught on an L visa? I feel like trying to alter my Visa to an M visa is a waste of time, unless police commonly crack down on this.

When are you going to dong guan and which Industry are you in?

Anyways let's meet up somewhere.

Oh and I'm going to hangzhou in a few hours. Let's see the beautiful west lake

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

stubinator posted:

I have some business to take care of in Dongguan.

:wink: Have fun

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I feel bad having a holiday. I want to work.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

caberham posted:

I feel bad having a holiday. I want to work.

How is the baby formula smuggling industry these days?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

stubinator posted:

That's not an uncommon visa at all, no. I wouldn't worry about the police, either. They give exactly zero shits about visas unless you pretty much slap them in the face and tell them to care. I've known at least a dozen people from our partner schools who came over on tourist visas to conduct business and never had a problem.

There's always the amusing possibility that the Chinese people you're traveling with could use your visa status as leverage to get what they want from you in a negotiation (this has happened, causing foreigners to virtually be held hostage) but remember if that happens your most important duty is to post all about it right here.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

blinkyzero posted:

There's always the amusing possibility that the Chinese people you're traveling with could use your visa status as leverage to get what they want from you in a negotiation (this has happened, causing foreigners to virtually be held hostage) but remember if that happens your most important duty is to post all about it right here.

lol this guy gets it

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
What was the mail service people were recommending to get your visa? I don't really want to drive down to Houston if I can avoid it.

Also, how long did processing usually take for an L Visa?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

computer parts posted:

What was the mail service people were recommending to get your visa? I don't really want to drive down to Houston if I can avoid it.

We've used A. Briggs a few times before and they're really fast/professional: http://www.abriggs.com/

There might be cheaper options, but I can vouch for them having been good to us in the past. You can expedite the processing too. I've never gotten an L-visa for China, but they did our Z-visas once in under 3 days, so I imagine it shouldn't be a problem.

blinkyzero fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 18, 2014

stubinator
Sep 24, 2013

caberham posted:

When are you going to dong guan and which Industry are you in?

The usual, exporting cheap parts for monetary gain. I'll probably stay in Dongguan for a month in June and another month in Oct.

blinkyzero posted:

Don't worry. You'll be the first to know of any Visa extortion.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

computer parts posted:

There are several options, I think I listed at least one or two in the OP. Do note that the Chinese embassies will be closed 5/1-5/2 for May day holiday apparently, if that matters. I personally have used the 2nd one (uschinavisa.com) several times with no issues at all.

http://www.mychinavisa.com/
http://uschinavisa.com/
http://www.visamailservice.com/

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/15/world/asia/chinas-efforts-in-hunt-for-plane-are-seen-as-hurting-more-than-helping.html?_r=0

drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

That was the most scathing article about China you've ever read? A few officials basically saying "yeah, China is phony and its technology is kinda pathetic"?

Don't take this the wrong way but I don't think you read many articles on China, rofls

Oh you ninja-edited, you...ninja