Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazy Gun
Apr 7, 2009
Fun Shoe
Back in the 80s I lived in Lompoc, Ca which was right next to Vandenberg AFB. B52s, tankers, and heavy lifters were daily with the occasional FB111 or F4. And the occasional missile launch (or failure). Still, the loudest thing I ever heard there was at an air show when an F15 did the whole take off and accelerate straight up thing. Louder than a Harrier, christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

benito posted:

Is that the strip with the little French restaurant attached to it? Le Relais, I think? I had a very memorable meal there a few years back, and it was great watching the old aircraft go by while eating.

Yep KLOU. Sorry, Bowman Field, Louisville Kentucky, Earth, Milky Way.

Been wanting to go eat there for a long time. One of these days.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Speaking of codes, I suspect U of A is University of Arizona but my brain read it as University of Alberta and was deeply confused for a second :argh:

I know I've written this in this thread before, but growing up I found the sound of C-130s/Dash 8s reversing their props oddly soothing when in bed at night. Also during the 80s the Il 76/86s were the real earthshakers that might just wake you up.

Nowadays the only large aircraft regular seen around here are C-17s, which are almost whisper-quiet compared to the Ilushins.

My university (Northern Kentucky) lies right under the approach for Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International's runway 27; I have many fond memories of late nights listening to the freighters passing over my dorm on the way into the DHL hub there. Then again, I'm the kind of nutter who doesn't mind airplane noise.

E: and for some reason, the Columbus PD likes to fly their MD-500's in patterns really, really low over my neighborhood in Columbus in the middle of the night. Again, not that I mind, but daylight (and a photo-op) would be nice once in a while.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I'm about 3.5 miles from the Juneau airport and I can clearly make out the sounds of 737-400s taxiing when I'm outside in the yard. It's not bothersome, but it is something weird to be able to make out at this distance. I fairly often take the dog out about the same time as the last flight leaves in the evening and I can tell you where they're at on the taxiways by the sound.

It should be noted that I'm essentially 90 degrees from the direction of travel on the runways. If you stand directly behind a 737 taking off, you won't hear then engines. Really. It's the oddest drat thing.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Advent Horizon posted:

It should be noted that I'm essentially 90 degrees from the direction of travel on the runways. If you stand directly behind a 737 taking off, you won't hear then engines. Really. It's the oddest drat thing.

The loudest place near a BAE146/Avro RJ seems to be somewhere at an angle behind the engines. The loudest point on both a Fokker 50 and a Q400 is between directly alongside the propeller to maybe thirty degrees back from there.

I'm not sure about loudest, but a rather unpleasant place to be is directly behind a 747-400 in an engine run bay doing a full power run, with only the blast shield and a metal warehouse wall between you and it. Stupid place to build a warehouse!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Geoj posted:

I live about a mile away from Akron Fulton (6,000+' runway but 99% of the traffic is private aviation) and depending on wind direction aircraft on final approach to Akron-Canton regional (I'm about 15 miles north of the airport, they have 30-40 scheduled flights per day) pass pretty much directly over my house. Aside from notable aircraft landing at Akron-Fulton (CAF had a mini airshow there last summer and there was an Osprey doing touch & goes there for a few hours two weeks ago) I don't really notice the private aviation, and most of the traffic headed for CAK is low enough to make noise if you're outside but otherwise not really noticeable while inside.

e: I also have Goodyear's Ohio airship operations hangar about six miles due east so I also get blimp flyovers when there's a game in Cleveland or they just feel like tooling around Akron. Those are way more noticeable than traffic from either airport.

I think unless you live a mile or so away from a really busy commercial airport or military airfield you aren't going to notice it unless you want to.

If you hear anything about any sort of air shows out of CAK please post it in this thread. I didn't know the CAF came around last year.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit
Since the thread title now clearly states conspiracy, this seems the best place to post this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/18/world/middleeast/mystery-shrouds-american-plane-at-tehran-airport.html?hp

Slightly more info here as well: http://www.thewire.com/global/2014/04/nobodys-sure-how-or-why-an-american-plane-ended-up-in-iran/360872/

Basically, American flagged Bombardier Challenger CL-604 spotted in Tehran, which is odd considering how hard it would be to get there. Private owner about to get hit with sanctions or a plan in government service exposed by this article?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

onezero posted:

Basically, American flagged Bombardier Challenger CL-604 spotted in Tehran, which is odd considering how hard it would be to get there. Private owner about to get hit with sanctions or a plan in government service exposed by this article?

Is Bombardier forbidden to deal with Iran at all? It's registered to them.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

SybilVimes posted:

Is Bombardier forbidden to deal with Iran at all? It's registered to them.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=N604EP

Says registered to the Bank of Utah, part of a trust, which isn't unusual but does obscure ownership.

But on your point, Canada passed sanctions on Iran as well, and I'd be surprised to find that at least one thing in that plane wouldn't run afoul of export control regs.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Boeing and GE have recently been cleared to sell spare parts to Iran. Note that this may also pertain to other businesses.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/04/us-boeing-iran-parts-idUSBREA331P120140404

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

holocaust bloopers posted:

Two cheeks and a pod on the very back of the tail are for electronic signals detection. Godholio can elaborate.

That's pretty much it. There's also one under the nose. The Passive Detection System detects signals for identification. It's a very, very poor man's Rivet Joint setup, added in the 90s. If there's a real RJ in the area, it's basically worthless, but can sometimes get a look at something that might be terrain-masked from RJ. We actually have an ECO here (the sole crew member who operates PDS) but I don't want to out him.

I'd like to think PDS will be improved in the upcoming block upgrade, but I have zero info on where the shortcomings are. If it's processing, the upgrade should be a huge improvement. If it's antennae resolution, welp :v:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

onezero posted:

Since the thread title now clearly states conspiracy, this seems the best place to post this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/18/world/middleeast/mystery-shrouds-american-plane-at-tehran-airport.html?hp

Slightly more info here as well: http://www.thewire.com/global/2014/04/nobodys-sure-how-or-why-an-american-plane-ended-up-in-iran/360872/

I think that's one of things that's media bias skewing perspective. There's regular flights from Tehran to Heathrow and all sorts of other European destinations on their lovely old a310s, and they have GE engines. Iran isn't some isolated no-fly-zone forbidden land, people and planes fly in and out of there all the time. So some US registered bizjet was there. Probably some bizzzness going on. No reason to suspect anything weird or dodgy.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
especially considering relations with Iran are actually kind of thawing lately

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Newsreel of Mirages being delivered to Australia (1964)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsno8o7L1uk

British Pathe have uploaded over 80,000 videos to youtube, no doubt a huge load of plane videos, lots of WW1 and WW2 newsreels too. I just came across this first.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
The RAAF made some odd choices.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...seen-Texas.html

:tinfoil:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Second spotting in a few months, crazy.

This is definitely a thing, really wonder what it is, maybe LRS-B demonstrator?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

normally I'd say it were one of them youfoes, but since it's the Daily Mail, if it is, it's no doubt full of illegal aliens come to scrounge off benefits. And probably spy on your innocent white daughters.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

zundfolge posted:

I used to live right under the approach path to Wright-Patt. It was hard to ignore the noise when the airlift wing stationed there would fly the same loop all afternoon and do touch-and-gos with their C-5s (and C-141s before that); the C-17s they use now are practically silent by comparison.

Going back through the thread and had to second this. Now, I think everyone in here is quite familiar with my love of C-5's, but I do have to admit that there's times I'm glad we have the C-17 at Stewart now, mostly when I'm at work and a C-17 is doing touch and go's, and I can have a conversation with people.

When I worked in the airport itself at that aircraft refurbishing place, we'd literally have to put our tools down, cover our ears and stand there staring at each other like idiots for 30-45 seconds while the C-5's passed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VikingSkull posted:

Going back through the thread and had to second this. Now, I think everyone in here is quite familiar with my love of C-5's, but I do have to admit that there's times I'm glad we have the C-17 at Stewart now, mostly when I'm at work and a C-17 is doing touch and go's, and I can have a conversation with people.

When I worked in the airport itself at that aircraft refurbishing place, we'd literally have to put our tools down, cover our ears and stand there staring at each other like idiots for 30-45 seconds while the C-5's passed.

People who haven't worked around un-hushkitted 727s, 737-200s, DC-8s, etc, are cute.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That just looks like a B-2 honestly.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MrYenko posted:

People who haven't worked around un-hushkitted 727s, 737-200s, DC-8s, etc, are cute.

I miss that kind of noise...especially the exhaust crackle you'd get in those old aircraft. Airports are so quiet these days (either that or I'm going deaf :v:)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fucknag posted:

That just looks like a B-2 honestly.

The back looks rather...straight. The B-2's is very much not.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

MrYenko posted:

We had that stuff very rarely, and we didn't really have enough experience with it until it screamed by and we all panicked. The C-5's were regular and distinct sounding from down the runway gave us a little more leeway.

Plus we were like 150 yards off the runway at the far end, so they were pegged right when they went past.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VikingSkull posted:

The C-5's were regular and distinct sounding from down the runway gave us a little more leeway.

To this day, I can identify CF6s at idle, by sound only. I can tell how many there are, too. A 767 sounds different from an MD-11, which sounds different than a 747.

Im so broken

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Godholio posted:

General Dynamics A-12 Flying Dorito got cancelled with a few billion spent and no metal bent (or was it?!?), and had a flat back. The aeronerds I follow allege that Boeing also had a less-scalloped trailing edge flying wing that might have got a couple built quiet-like.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Godholio posted:

The Dailymail pic looks like almost the exact geometry of an A-12. The pic from a few weeks ago had a lot more sweep to the wing and different shapes to the wingtips. I kinda feel like the A-12 shape is obsolete by now, which makes me lean towards this new pic (if not both) being a fake.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

MrYenko posted:

To this day, I can identify CF6s at idle, by sound only. I can tell how many there are, too. A 767 sounds different from an MD-11, which sounds different than a 747.

Im so broken

Yeah, I probably could have, but I was only there like 18 months. Plus Stewart has a revolving door of carriers and airframes.

I can always tell the UPS and FedEx MD-11's, though, and the UPS 767's.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Slo-Tek posted:

General Dynamics A-12 Flying Dorito got cancelled with a few billion spent and no metal bent (or was it?!?), and had a flat back. The aeronerds I follow allege that Boeing also had a less-scalloped trailing edge flying wing that might have got a couple built quiet-like.

What benefit would that be over a smaller (yet similar), unmanned design though?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Spaced God posted:

What benefit would that be over a smaller (yet similar), unmanned design though?

Well, it looks like it is a twin engine from the contrails, which implies bigness, and possibly also some "can't lose a pilot" redundancy. Pretty much all the drones, even the really drat big ones, so far, have been singles.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Linedance posted:

normally I'd say it were one of them youfoes, but since it's the Daily Mail, if it is, it's no doubt full of illegal aliens come to scrounge off benefits. And probably spy on your innocent white daughters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

VikingSkull posted:

WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

MrYenko posted:

WWHHHHHIIIIIIIINNNNNNEEEEEE

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

Im so broken

So what you're saying is that if the RADAR goes out they can send you outside with a walkie-talkie and a chair on casters?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Linedance posted:

If you read the article (do not read the article), the Mail is true to form. They're prominently featuring some random moron's theory that it's a SR-72 (Lockheed's paper proposal for a hypersonic SR-71 successor), even though it obviously cannot be a hypersonic aircraft. But hey, the moron is an ex-Marine so clearly he is an authority worth quoting

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Linedance posted:

So you're saying there is a possibility that, "Our Maddie" is on that plane?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BobHoward posted:

If you read the article (do not read the article), the Mail is true to form. They're prominently featuring some random moron's theory that it's a SR-72 (Lockheed's paper proposal for a hypersonic SR-71 successor), even though it obviously cannot be a hypersonic aircraft. But hey, the moron is an ex-Marine so clearly he is an authority worth quoting

Are you saying that marines don't know anything about aviation?

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Are you saying that marines don't know anything about aviation?

They use V-22's. Clearly they have an eye for style, but not efficiency or safety. So they know at least one thing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SocketSeven posted:

They use V-22's. Clearly they have an eye for style, but not efficiency or safety. So they know at least one thing.

No discussion of Marine air is complete without mentioning that more than a third of all USMC Harriers ever built have been lost to operational accidents.

The Osprey is a cuddly child's toy, comparatively.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

MrYenko posted:

No discussion of Marine air is complete without mentioning that more than a third of all USMC Harriers ever built have been lost to operational accidents.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

You missed the best one.

Fun Harrier fact: it's designed to land on the belly and strakes with minimal damage.

The engine, however, is not rated for mattress spring ingestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

I'm impressed that they managed to not set the mattresses on fire.