Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Eris posted:

Do you think we don't know this? Or that it makes you sound worldly?

Definitely the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Benny, the president of China is here! Quick, use your powers of language acquisition to determine if he is speaking Cantonese or Mandarin!

No Benny, don't hit president China with a shopping cart :ohdear:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Let's take a second to congratulate an adult for getting hired to a no experience necessary job after essentially a lifetime of unemployment.

Yea, loving great Benny, maybe you'll keep this one longer than a week.

Oh cool are we at the part of the thread where everyone dogpiles Benny for having a job but not the right job?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Geoj posted:

Oh cool are we at the part of the thread where everyone dogpiles Benny for having a job but not the right job?

Yeah, seriously, at least wait til this job is revealed to be a mob front or a doomsday cult or something.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Minarch posted:

Benny, the president of China is here! Quick, use your powers of language acquisition to determine if he is speaking Cantonese or Mandarin!

China Benny Best Benny

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Minarch posted:

lmao

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Geoj posted:

No were at the part where we spent a year coddling/humouring a literal man baby. And conveniently forgetting that in the course of the thread the OP had been hired around 3 different times only to fail miserably at the simplest of tasks within a week. Were at the part of the thread where we are congratulating an adult for doing things that really should just be a normal part of life.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 18, 2014

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
You're right, we should just continue berating him and calling him a worthless piece of poo poo. He'll surely succeed if we just keep deriding him regardless.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Geoj posted:

No, I think most of us are laughing because that paragraph he wrote about having to learn mandarin was funny as hell. It's great that he got a job.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Shelf Adventure posted:

You're right, we should just continue berating him and calling him a worthless piece of poo poo. He'll surely succeed if we just keep deriding him regardless.

My success in life also depends on the opinions of strangers on an Internet comedy forum.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?
Good: Benny got a job.
Hilarious: Benny explained to the thread how languages work.
Best: Benny has no idea how much he is being paid.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

That and there are two main reasons why adults learn a second language: employment or love. A new job is a good motivator for me to learn a second language.

I really, really hope you don't speak like this in the real world, and that this is just a hold-over from when you used to write thesis papers in college.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Benny the Snake posted:

And it doesn't help that Chinese has two different dialects

This is so wrong I don't even know where to begin. Like, seriously. You're off by a factor of about a hundred.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
" My language acquisition" is the new " my political fellowship". Also: why not " acquire" English before shooting for Mandarin?

Uncle Salty fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 18, 2014

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
How's Danny, you're brother!?

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!

Toriori posted:

How's Danny, you're brother!?

I'm not sure if you're being smooth reminding Benny that's he's supposed to have a brother, or if you're just helping the thread population out.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I skimmed this thread. Are people really yelling at the OP, who lives with a religious nut of a mother in a toxic environment, for not being able to get a job in this poo poo economy? Assholes. I grew up in a house like that, minus the religion. My parents freak out and yelled at us for no reason. You gotta get out of the house. Just getting out will do your mental health loads of good. Do you have friends you could stay with for a bit, just to get your head straight?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yes, people have been shaming Benny over the last fifteen months for living with his parents. Surely the previous 133 pages couldn't have any sort of information or context that may inform you otherwise.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Count Chocula posted:

I skimmed this thread. Are people really yelling at the OP, who lives with a religious nut of a mother in a toxic environment, for not being able to get a job in this poo poo economy? Assholes. I grew up in a house like that, minus the religion. My parents freak out and yelled at us for no reason. You gotta get out of the house. Just getting out will do your mental health loads of good. Do you have friends you could stay with for a bit, just to get your head straight?

Actually he's got jobs in the past, he just manages to sabotage them generally in the first day. Plus he lies in this thread a lot.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Count Chocula posted:

Yes this is totally new advice no one thought of offering in this 130-some page thread. Problem solved, everyone can go home.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

it's a poo poo economy for a lying, cart smashing, pan head-hitting, co-worker backstabbing, burning-bridges type of person. As in, there is competition for jobs, and Benny does just about everything one can do to make himself unhirable. Hopefully he's learned SOMETHING from this thread and will make this one stick, but from his plans to ask about "the chinese partners," I'm guessing no.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

He will always have his Target shopping carts to go back to.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Count Chocula posted:

You're still really cool but I don't think the OP is going to use his cart powers to kill all birds for you.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

loving lol
This is an ironipost, surely.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Count Chocula posted:

I love how easy it is to tell who actually has read the thread and who hasn't

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
-His family is working towards healthcare coverage.

-He's got a volunteer position at a library with enough of a turnover rate for it to be potential for paid employment.

-His data entry job is %80 landed. (Looking forward to an update: Benny, have you signed any tax documents yet?)

He has a handfull of good things going on. He's gone from being a do-nothing to a decent effort-person. If he can just keep these 3 things at the top of the priority list, it'll all work out.

Benny, please don't get distracted with Chinese culture research or something. Don't start getting independent on yourself or tacking on side-accomplishments. You have 3 very important things going on, right now which i'm sure is as much as you can handle. (I don't think I could handle more, TBH)

I wonder if some of the people still making GBS threads on him are starting to get worried that they'll no longer have someone to look at and go "At least I'm not as bad as that guy!"

It also makes me wonder about all the other E/N thread abandonees and what became of them. Benny came back. Not sure how, but something must have finally snapped and gotten him fired up, angry, motivated, etc. enough to push himself harder than he's pushed himself before. Granted, that might not be a lot by normal people standards, but he's back and I think that says something about his character. He might be dumb and aloof but how many of you could handle crawling out of poo poo that deep, without turning to drug addiction or self-harm?

Hopefully he'll realize that whatever he did in the past 2-3 months is actually what it takes to make it somewhere.

cname fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 18, 2014

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Dear benny.

Congrat! :)

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

cname posted:

FAR TOO POSITIVE THINGS ABOUT BENNY'S CURRENT SITUATION

It's still too early to be optimistic. How many other jobs did he "almost have", when in reality he was just twisting the truth and was waiting for a callback or something.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
lol, accepted job and doesn't know what it pays. I hope its volunteer

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

That drat Satyr posted:

It's still too early to be optimistic. How many other jobs did he "almost have", when in reality he was just twisting the truth and was waiting for a callback or something.

No it's not. He has a few things going on, this time. Even if they all fail, this is the first time he's actually posted a legitimate update. It's not even about the fact that the job may or may not be a scam. Even if it is, I appreciate the fact that he gave us an actual update, along the lines of

"Ok, so here's what's going on. I've been volunteering at the library. Chances of said position becoming a paid position are mediocre, which is better than nothing. I've talked to my family about health insurance. They've decided that it's best to shop for family coverage as opposed to me getting myself covered as an individual. I've gotten verbal acceptance for a data entry job."

as opposed to...

"So I woke up this morning, made copies of my resume and strolled over to the job fair. It was pretty crowded so I wondered around meeting with as many people as I could :words:"

I'm optimistic because his recent post was the first post that's shown evidence of a plan, goals and follow-through. Even if the data entry job is bullshit, he's starting to show a glimmer of organization, priorities and critical thinking.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Perfidia posted:

I'm not sure if you're being smooth reminding Benny that's he's supposed to have a brother, or if you're just helping the thread population out.

Baha I thought he was using a fake name for his brother so I thought I'd just put that just for a lil reminder.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

Count Chocula posted:

:getout:

Benny, office relationships are A-OK, if you see a particularly nice MILF working there, don't be shy about asking her to talcolm your diaper rash. Also, do you ever wear diapers out in public? Don't let THE MAN stop you. Diap' up bro.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Fucksalt, I don't know why but every time I read one of Benny's posts i feel like he is TRYING to sound intelligent. You know those people that purposefully ham-fist words they barely understand into a sentence?? Congrats on the job Benny but if you talk like you write you should tone down the "wordiness" a bit....

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Congrats on the job B-man. Don't overthink it.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Okay I just got back from orientation. My job is to post merchandise on sites like Amazon and Ebay. There's a formula I'm going to use to come up with the minimum price to sell and if some one else sells it cheaper, I pass. My company is a middle man: we buy stuff from warehouses and sell it online. And we sell everything from shoe eyelets to tattoo needle guns to even hydroponics. I'm going to handle Amazon and I have a feeling they're gonna give me Craigslist as well to liquidate returns. Pay is minimum wage and the hours are Monday-Friday, six hours a day. 30 hours a week is considerably better than Target was. I'm on a 90 day probation. Our office is a Mac one, which will take a bit of an adjustment since I'm a PC user. I feel like I'm in a good place though: it's a very friendly environment. And I came in at the right time, since summer is the slow season before September and then comes the Christmas shopping season.

Later on, I'm going to an appointment with my psych to get myself back on meds. I'm going to call the library and speak with my supervisor about my new job and how we can schedule volunteer hours around it.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 18, 2014

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Count down til Benny goes "off formula"

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
It's a mechanical turk job. I wonder how much it pays.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

crabrock posted:

Count down til Benny goes "off formula"

"I had a quick look and decided the formula that I came up with instead was better...
"Turns out I lost the company millions."

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
"I put the millions in a shopping-cart and hit the CEO with them"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ursine Asylum posted:

It's a mechanical turk job. I wonder how much it pays.

Benny the Snake posted:

Pay is minimum wage and the hours are Monday-Friday, six hours a day.

• Locked thread