Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

stubblyhead posted:

Why does hibernate even exist for a server OS? When would you ever want to actually do that?

It's all Server 2012R2/2008R2, but if you apply the wrong GPO settings and not in the proper OU you can easily put the server to sleep after 15 minutes of idle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Sickening posted:

Cheap decision makers will use a workstation OS as servers. Its always more painful than its worth.

Running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit on a PowerEdge, here.

It's not because we're cheap. :smith:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Actually the only time we use Desktop OS's as anything that can be considered a "server" is for agent relays on our phone systems at sites; but that will be gone soon.

We actually aren't cheap and do things by the book, which is a real nice change from the SMB market space.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

blackswordca posted:

CIO: *quiet for a minute* "oh, i was testing you"

Are you paraphrasing or did he actually say that unironically?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit on a PowerEdge, here.

It's not because we're cheap. :smith:

Win 7 Pro 64-bit on a ProLiant G4. :>

It was an old ESXi host that was going to be trashed that I re-purposed for things I didn't need a server OS for.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
Windows XP on a Poweredge.

It's so one guy who's "too old to bother with a computer" can have Outlook download and send his mail to a printer in his office.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

vibur posted:

Windows XP on a Poweredge.

It's so one guy who's "too old to bother with a computer" can have Outlook download and send his mail to a printer in his office.

Up until he retired a couple years ago, we had a $700/hr lawyer that had never used a computer in his life, and we hired someone to be a full-time computer Sherpa specifically to handle email and stuff for him.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I wonder how this monstrosity started out

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

It never makes sense. Just use a server OS if you want something to be a server. Enough will bite you in the rear end later to have to worry about a single user OS.

Well ideally you'd have something that runs on Linux or can be bought as a service, but there are plenty of little things that need to run on Windows that might be the first and only Windows box in an organisation - door access controllers for example. Windows Server isn't expensive, but if you need to buy a bunch of CALs as well then it's a lot of money for no real benefit over running it on 7 Pro. I also wouldn't call a non-server version of Windows a "single user OS", the code base is practically the same.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

pr0digal posted:

That looks like all my (clean) racks... :smith:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Alien Arcana posted:

Are you paraphrasing or did he actually say that unironically?

That was a direct quote

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Many tickets came in: someone in central corporate IT pushed out an update to IE to force the homepage to our parent company's Intranet page. Which is unavailable from our network.

This, of course, translates to:
:byodood: The internet is broken!

Except, because staff have been trained for years to use the links on our own intranet to access the applications they need, it really ends up being:
:byodood: My computer is broken!

Double-bonus: the same update locked down the homepage setting in Internet Options so even if you know what you're doing, you can't change it back.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Joining the Workstation on Server hardwar (Win 7 x64 Pro). Setup a "master workstation" at an old job on a Poweredge 2950. This pretty much just sat in the Colo and loafed along.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
"End of life is just a scam to drum up sales. There's nothing wrong with using an operating system for many years past end of life."

What. The. gently caress.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

larchesdanrew posted:

"End of life is just a scam to drum up sales. There's nothing wrong with using an operating system for many years past end of life."

That's when you say 'End of life means no more security patches. I'd rather not risk the security of our data or network because we're using an outdated OS.'

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GreenNight posted:

That's when you say 'End of life means no more security patches. I'd rather not risk the security of our data or network because we're using an outdated OS.'

I once had a very long arguement with another admin over windows security updates. His policy was to approve them biannually. Lets just say his reasons were never very logical.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

"press F4"
"you mean F and 4?"
"no press the F4 key"
"Alright pressed F four times, did nothing"

This is one thing when it's an endearing senior citizen but a whole different beast when it's a professional coworker who uses a computer for at least five hours a day. I understand proper software development adhering to stereotypes and all, but people are just so clueless. Do car people feel like this around non-car people? I feel like it's more like someone who's been commuting for 10 years asking a mechanic how to use a turn signal.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sickening posted:

I once had a very long arguement with another admin over windows security updates. His policy was to approve them biannually. Lets just say his reasons were never very logical.

I'm betting he was just lazy and didn't want to test patches every month.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That looks like all my (clean) racks... :smith:

But I'm sure yours are in some sort of lockable temperature controlled room

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

pr0digal posted:

But I'm sure yours are in some sort of lockable temperature controlled room

Hahaha. Some are maybe one or the other. Only a few are both.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Roargasm posted:

This is one thing when it's an endearing senior citizen but a whole different beast when it's a professional coworker who uses a computer for at least five hours a day. I understand proper software development adhering to stereotypes and all, but people are just so clueless. Do car people feel like this around non-car people? I feel like it's more like someone who's been commuting for 10 years asking a mechanic how to use a turn signal.

Presumably that's a BMW mechanic.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

larchesdanrew posted:

You should get in writing that you cannot be held responsible for any future security issues.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Volmarias posted:

You should get in writing that you cannot be held responsible for any future security issues.

This is what I did concerning our 8 year old linux webserver that has never been patched.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

pr0digal posted:

Location isn't going to improve, but that's an hour with a label maker, a couple hundred bucks on Monoprice, and half an hour of tidying up cables to make it look nice and be easy to troubleshoot. For $1000 more, it could be enclosed and ventilated properly.

larchesdanrew posted:

It's time to start subtly sabotaging equipment.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

pr0digal posted:

Oh man. I was looking at the cable mess and didn't even see the cluster of power strips and the table fan coolers.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
they could have at least sprung the $55 for a consumer grade UPS

edit: how much do you want to bet its all plugged into the same circuit as the kitchenette on the other side of the wall, and they all know that you have to turn the lights off before using the microwave?

ZetsurinPower fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 18, 2014

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Lum posted:

Never understood why people say to start with oil changes. It's an unpleasant, filthy, messy job and if you screw up it's even worse to clean up. Even if I do it perfectly I'm still going to end up with gravel and general road debris stuck in my hair.

The main reason I do my own oil changes is that either I pay $85 for the dealer to do it right, or i pay $45 for some idiot monkeys to do it with lovely oil and a lovely oil filter.

I can do it myself (as a slightly less idiot) for $30 and use synthetic oil and a nice WIX filter instead of the crap they use.

If I could find an oil change place that didnt suck rear end, i'd totally agree with your logic, though.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Kreeblah posted:

I get that it's not a magic bullet (because those don't exist). I'm mostly looking for ideas for how to improve our processes and better ways to identify areas where we need to improve them, but I was curious whether it's valuable or not. Most of what I've been able to find, though, has been feedback from people who teach ITIL for a living (and therefore have a vested interest in it) or people who just get the Foundations cert and stop there so they can tick the "I've heard of ITIL" box.

it's valuable if you use it right.

Basically, look at it like a standard, like T568B. You say to someone, "hey, wire this using T568b" and they should either know what they need to do, or know what to look up.

Same with ITIL. You say, "Let's have the service desk in London handle configuration management while the one in Dallas handles incident management" and that statement is built around standards that mean something and can be referenced by other people. (And itil folks will know how silly my statement is, but thats another point all together)

At its most basic, it's just a bunch of pre-made definitions for processes and roles instead of having to define all your own (like defining your own wiring standard is dumb)

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Oh, one size fits all policies... You will never get old.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A ticket came in:

quote:

I am unable to view tickets. Also unable to submit them.

:cripes:

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

pr0digal posted:

is that really a Y power splitter :allears:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

pr0digal posted:

At least the rack mount equipment is in some form of rack

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My favorite part is the USB Hard Drive.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Guy Axlerod posted:

My favorite part is the USB Hard Drive.

That's their super important very expensive backup solution!

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

nitrogen posted:

The main reason I do my own oil changes is that either I pay $85 for the dealer to do it right, or i pay $45 for some idiot monkeys to do it with lovely oil and a lovely oil filter.

I can do it myself (as a slightly less idiot) for $30 and use synthetic oil and a nice WIX filter instead of the crap they use.

If I could find an oil change place that didnt suck rear end, i'd totally agree with your logic, though.

I just get my own preferred oil and take it to my local place that does all the work on my car.
If I combine it with other jobs that will involve having the car on the lift anyway, it really doesn't cost much. The guy who runs that place (and still does actual work) also has a 74 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow as a project car, and so totally gets why I can be a bit anal about mine.

Taking it to Kwik Fit (or, I guess Jiffy Lube in the US) is like getting geek squad in to fix your SAN.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lum posted:

getting geek squad in to fix your SAN.

I really want this to happen one day, as long as I get to read a trip report.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A developer came in...

... and is being given no option other than to use the same thin-client VDI that all other people outside of IT must use.

I can put dev stuff for her on an RDP VM but still... you'd think that a developer would at least merit a normal desktop, not a locked-down environment that disables everything in the Start menu other than what icons we present via a folder mapping, and doesn't allow right-clicking.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MJP posted:

A developer came in...

... and is being given no option other than to use the same thin-client VDI that all other people outside of IT must use.

I can put dev stuff for her on an RDP VM but still... you'd think that a developer would at least merit a normal desktop, not a locked-down environment that disables everything in the Start menu other than what icons we present via a folder mapping, and doesn't allow right-clicking.

Never expect devs to be power users. Far too many are far too proud of not knowing poo poo about how computers work outside of their own little box of code, which is highly abstracted away from any actual technical knowledge.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

RFC2324 posted:

Never expect devs to be power users. Far too many are far too proud of not knowing poo poo about how computers work outside of their own little box of code, which is highly abstracted away from any actual technical knowledge.

There's a bit of a difference between "you don't get local admin rights" and "no right clicking for you!" though, isn't there. Context menus are kind of important in any serious IDE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

There's certainly no harm in locking lots of stuff down, even for devs, but preventing them from installing packages and right-clicking is beyond ridiculous.

• Locked thread