Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DamnGlitch posted:

You are not a very "outside the box" thinker huh

Because he doesn't want to watch shows that have panda bears shoving calculators up their butts?

He's describing what science fiction does, rather than science fantasy. You're not 'inside the box' for having a preference about what cartoons you like to enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Drifter posted:

Because he doesn't want to watch shows that have panda bears shoving calculators up their butts?

Where can I find this show? It sounds... intriguing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Drifter posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Drifter posted:

He's describing what science fiction does, rather than science fantasy. You're not 'inside the box' for having a preference about what cartoons you like to enjoy.

Except that transhuman fiction is still science fiction? Using the idea of cybernetics and memory exchange to discuss the concept of identity and what it is attached to is still purestrain sci fi. It's not actually especially complicated philosophy!

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mercrom posted:

I think the fantastical should be an exaggerated version of something that exists, to provoke thought about real issues.

I only watched a bit of Psycho-Pass but it seems pretty good in that regard. Any society is built on conformity of values and morals, and laws demand it. Social engineering and psychology has just evolved to something far more advanced and reliant on technology in that show, but its basis is the same. Nothing in the real world is remotely equivalent to concepts like brains in jars though.

GITS can get pretty "unrealistic" if you're looking for hard sci-fi, I suppose, but I'd advise you to hang on until the Laughing Man arc gets off the ground.

Whereas the films and manga tend to be much more fantastical in their plot and themes, a lot of Stand-Alone Complex is about how the more things change, the more they stay the same. The first film is about merging with a computer and becoming the internet or something I don't really remember, while in Stand Alone Complex the main plot is essentially just how difficult to impossible it can be to deal with government bureaucracy and corruption. If you still don't like it by the time "Chat Chat Chat" rolls around feel free to drop out, but there's some things in your post that make me think you'd like SAC once it gets going.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I really enjoyed SAC back when I watched it, I'm not knocking it. The dude is just asking about a certain subgenre of a thing and was almost told he wasn't good enough. Bah.

I didn't think I needed to delve into pedantry. Of course transhumanism is science fiction, he just said he wanted another kind of it, one that was less fantastical. But even then, maybe he just needs more exposure to SAC.

I wasn't responding to his initial dislike of SAC or even to SAC in general, more to the comment of his thinking being 'inside the box', which seemed stupid.

DrSunshine posted:

Where can I find this show? It sounds... intriguing.
An episode of the Czech animated version of Dr. Who. It's probably not available anymore. Sorry. :ohdear::sweatdrop:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 18, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mercrom posted:

I think the fantastical should be an exaggerated version of something that exists, to provoke thought about real issues.

I only watched a bit of Psycho-Pass but it seems pretty good in that regard. Any society is built on conformity of values and morals, and laws demand it. Social engineering and psychology has just evolved to something far more advanced and reliant on technology in that show, but its basis is the same. Nothing in the real world is remotely equivalent to concepts like brains in jars though.

The point of fiction isn't always to serve as a structured analogue of reality. GitS isn't trying to make a political statement or sell a message. All it's doing is asking a simple question: If the world were like this, what would happen? GitS is an exploration of ideas like cybernetic transhumanism and the boundary between weak and strong AI within the context of a mildly dystopian near-future setting.

If that doesn't interest you, GitS isn't for you.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Hi, I'd like some ridiculously over the top anime. I'm thinking things like Code Geass' poses (and spinzakus), Death Note's dramatic writing (and potato chip eating), and... well I don't really know any others to mention.

I don't mind the genre. If you can find me a shoujo romance where everything is completely overdramatic, that'd be just great, but so would action-y shounen stuff.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Hi, I'd like some ridiculously over the top anime. I'm thinking things like Code Geass' poses (and spinzakus), Death Note's dramatic writing (and potato chip eating), and... well I don't really know any others to mention.

I don't mind the genre. If you can find me a shoujo romance where everything is completely overdramatic, that'd be just great, but so would action-y shounen stuff.

Try Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Are you watching Jojo's? If not, there's your answer. Also try Sengoku Basara for feudal Japanese warlords riding horses equipped with handlebars and exhaust pipes while shouting about parties and guns in English. Gurren Lagann is what happens when your over-the-topness function is an exponential, and Valvrave is the result of Sunrise being dared to make something more insane than Code Geass.

For a different kind of over-the-topness, I have a soft spot for anime that are pretty terrible but turn the sheer animeness up to 11 (these tend to be light novel adaptations). It's kind of hard to describe, but imagine the kind of show that takes terrible anime cliches and contrived harem situations and makes them even more contrived and ridiculous. If you might be interested in that, give Henneko ("The Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat") and Noucome ("My Mental Choices Are Completely Interfering With My School Romantic Comedy") a shot. Both of these are completely awful, but there's a certain value in seeing just how much they push the envelope of being anime.

Outer Science fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 19, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
On top of all ^those^, there's also Redline which we were talking about before. Also, pretty much anything directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi is suitably ridiculous.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

KittyEmpress posted:

The thing that got me into Death Note was the fuckin' dramatic music while he was sneaking writing names in the notebook while pretending to eat from a bag of potato chips. I saw that clip, decided to watch the first few episodes, and have loved it.

You can't go wrong with One Piece or Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. They're pretty much always over the top. Even the Original FMA was really good.

FLCL is pretty much down with what you're describing. It's pretty kinetic.

Black Lagoon, too.

Maybe Kill La Kill, but while it was certainly over the top and not bad per se, I didn't much enjoy it.

edit: The ultimate over the top tv show is, of course, Nichijou. :allears:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 19, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

KittyEmpress posted:

Chihayafuru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EMUlvhsS0s

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

GITS can get pretty "unrealistic" if you're looking for hard sci-fi, I suppose, but I'd advise you to hang on until the Laughing Man arc gets off the ground.

Whereas the films and manga tend to be much more fantastical in their plot and themes, a lot of Stand-Alone Complex is about how the more things change, the more they stay the same. The first film is about merging with a computer and becoming the internet or something I don't really remember, while in Stand Alone Complex the main plot is essentially just how difficult to impossible it can be to deal with government bureaucracy and corruption. If you still don't like it by the time "Chat Chat Chat" rolls around feel free to drop out, but there's some things in your post that make me think you'd like SAC once it gets going.
It's got nothing to do with hard sci-fi. In the first two episodes the only thing that seemed really implausible was the major's outfit. I generally don't like fiction that focuses primarily on science and technology. I have non-fiction for that, like Cosmos.

I might revisit it some day but from what others wrote about it it doesn't seem like it's for me.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Mercrom posted:

It's got nothing to do with hard sci-fi. In the first two episodes the only thing that seemed really implausible was the major's outfit. I generally don't like fiction that focuses primarily on science and technology. I have non-fiction for that, like Cosmos.

I might revisit it some day but from what others wrote about it it doesn't seem like it's for me.

Yeah if you don't like sci fi, one of the hallmark shows for speculative and science fiction is not gonna do it for you.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
SO I've been trying to find an anime like One Piece or Soul Eater, which are awesome and have a great balance of comedy among the cool characters and adventures. (I've already seen FMA - loved the vanilla and Brotherhood)

I've started Hunter X Hunter and it's pretty fun, but it's not particularly 'funny' like OP or SE. I've tried Gintama (which I know isn't a shounen) and was absolutely bored and uninterested in it. I've tried shows like Toriko and thought it was alright. Naruto was fun but I have no interest in going back to where I left off many many years ago.

Any good comedy and action shows out there, that have grand adventures and charming characters or is One Piece just a one-off work of stupid genius?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
You really need to watch Tiger and Bunny.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Drifter posted:

Any good comedy and action shows out there, that have grand adventures and charming characters

I'd probably try Fairy Tail, Magi, and Index/Railgun.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Okay, poo poo. I really enjoyed Tiger & Bunny and Scientific Railgun, and also enjoyed to a lesser extent Magi. I will say Magi had a really interesting premise but I found Aladdin to be somewhat annoying - it was a solid 75-80 out of 100. Pretty darn solid.

I've heard Fairy Tail is basically a OP clone. I'll check out an episode or two, thanks for that - I'd forgotten to consider it. Any other suggestions?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

You seem like you're way more familiar with shounen than I am :v:

I guess you could try some old-school stuff like Yu Yu Hakusho or Inuyasha.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Fairy Tail's artstyle started out as an OP clone, but it's significantly lower quality in every other aspect, or so I've heard. I don't really want to read it.

I would suggest the manga of Zatch Bell. It's hard to think of another series that follows shonen tropes to the letter as much as it does, but man, it is a wonderful ride regardless, and the humor is pretty fantastic when they're not in do-or-die battle mode. Hell, there's parts where the battles turn into comedy sketches, such as the Victoreem fight which was so well-received for a one-off bad guy that they got Norio Wakamoto to voice him in the anime and sing the Very Melon song. It's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3b8FBtvJAc

The anime has pretty dodgy animation at times, not that the manga has the best artwork ever either, but it's absolutely a fun read. I'd say skip the anime because it doesn't follow the full series, it ends like halfway through. The entire thing is based on a tournament arc, 100 demons with 100 book-bearers in the real world and whoever is the last one standing becomes the Demon Realm King, so it creates interesting politics among the demons. Work together only to have to betray each other later, backstab everyone immediately, crush all opposition with overwhelming force, hide until the end, etc. The character designs are also pretty great, and the artist absolutely loves his two-page spread ultimate attacks. The series is also finished! It was licensed in the US by Viz or someone, but they stopped releasing it and now it's stuck in limbo.

Based on your request, I would also suggest Donyatsu, left without comment. Just trust me.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 21, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Try Outlaw Star if you're up for some 90's sci-fi space adventures.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ooh, Outlaw Star looks really interesting and Zatch Bell looks like something I need to check out at least a part of.

Do~nyan~tsu (:v:) scares me.

Am I the only person who doesn't like Gintama? I mean, I watched maybe 10 or 15 episodes and felt like it was a big bleh.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 21, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Gintama's a weird slow burn. It's starts out okay, and then at some point you just find everything hilarious, with sudden emotional arcs that occur every now and then. I think once you get invested in each particular character's quirks, putting them in these silly scenarios leads to amazing comedy. Like my favorite episodes are the one where they're having hot pot, and the one where they're camping out for a Wii. And similar to One Piece, the arcs that are serious feel a lot more serious due to how silly the setting usually is. Basically at some point, the comedy and writing improves a lot, though I can't really place where. I'm tempted to say when Takasugi's group first shows up, but it probably differs from person to person.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Drifter posted:

SO I've been trying to find an anime like One Piece or Soul Eater, which are awesome and have a great balance of comedy among the cool characters and adventures. (I've already seen FMA - loved the vanilla and Brotherhood)

I've started Hunter X Hunter and it's pretty fun, but it's not particularly 'funny' like OP or SE. I've tried Gintama (which I know isn't a shounen) and was absolutely bored and uninterested in it. I've tried shows like Toriko and thought it was alright. Naruto was fun but I have no interest in going back to where I left off many many years ago.

Any good comedy and action shows out there, that have grand adventures and charming characters or is One Piece just a one-off work of stupid genius?
I'm pretty sure Gintama is shounen, actually. I mean it's published in WSJ.

Houshin Engi is a shounen series with a pretty sweeping/epic/fun adventure, though weirdly enough it may be a bit too grandiose compared to OP or Soul Eater.

It's more seinen than shounen, but Satoshi Mizukami may scratch your itch as well. Even if it's not exactly what you're looking for, give his stuff a try anyway because they own.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Nate RFB posted:

I'm pretty sure Gintama is shounen, actually. I mean it's published in WSJ.
Did a double-take thinking you were referring to the Wall Street Journal. Gintama is just the thing to pass time between board meetings.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Captain Invictus posted:

Fairy Tail's artstyle started out as an OP clone, but it's significantly lower quality in every other aspect, or so I've heard. I don't really want to read it.

In terms of the manga, they're weirdly opposite in that Fairy Tail has much more detailed character designs (though the feel of them still evokes One Piece) but nothing for backgrounds while One Piece has pretty basic character designs (for the most part) with crazy detailed backgrounds. The anime smooths Fairy Tail out overall, but the end result for me was very much One Piece-lite. Even the things Fairy Tail did well, that I liked, I found myself comparing unfavorably to One Piece.

As for a recommendation for Drifter, have you tried Trigun? It gets more serious towards the second half, but the first stretch is a pretty good mix of comedy and action.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I find it incredibly funny that when someone from ANN interviewed the creator of Fairy Tail, they later tweeted that they were told that they were not allowed to mention One Piece in any capacity whatsoever, and that the interview would be over if they did.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Srice posted:

I find it incredibly funny that when someone from ANN interviewed the creator of Fairy Tail, they later tweeted that they were told that they were not allowed to mention One Piece in any capacity whatsoever, and that the interview would be over if they did.

Also, you must bring with you a live pheasant!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am a really big fan of team based fantasy or sci-fi action based things. I really like G Gundam, for example, for having a main character and a bunch of team members that are equally as awesome. I also like Sailor Moon for the same reasons; I'm not a big fan of Usagi, but there are four other characters that are equally awesome, even if they do get less screentime. And the Stardust Crusaders anime is simply awesome. Is there much else like that? I've heard some good things about precure and a look of 'generic kiddy poo poo' but I am not adverse to generic kiddy poo poo.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Precure's pretty good - it's aimed at kids, not otakus, so it is significantly less creepy than...oh, a good 50% of its genre. There's ten of 'em, and quality varies per series, but that's largely a taste thing. Really, if you're happy to sift by quality, magical girl stuff in general will give you what you want. Lots of friendship/teamwork stuff there. Just, uh, avoid most of the stuff aimed at people over twelve.

Let's see...Baccano and Durarara are both good ensemble casts but not really teams.

E: Oh man, how did I forget Inazuma Eleven, the show about middle schoolers playing soccer as a team? Really goofy, really magical shounen soccer. Also, Uninhabited Planet Survive, in which a team of kids must survive being stranded on an alien planet.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 23, 2014

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, I can't take it anymore: I really want to watch or read a harem/romcom anime.

Not just any harem/romcom anime, mind you. I want to watch or read a story where:

• The main character guy/girl is actually interesting enough to deserve the attention of his/her harem beyond his/her "niceness". Main characters from series like Infinite Stratos, Index, the Mahouka thing and (to an extent) the -monogatari franchise have made me sick of the main guy/girl being an audience stand-in.
  • Seriously, gently caress bland main characters.
  • There's an actual endgame and you can sort-of tell, like in Bonnouji or Toradora!. No eternal blue-balls, wacky misunderstandings where it takes ages to get somewhere or last chapter/episode relationships.
  • It doesn't necessarily have to be comedy-inclined. Some drama is nice every now and then.
  • No School Days. That show made me stop watching anime for years and I can't remember why I listened to my friend back when she recommended it (in retrospect, she was most likely screwing with me for shits 'n giggles).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Oh, I just saw that you ruled out Monogatari.

In that case my advice is don't watch harem anime, it's bad for you.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Hmmm. Maybe Clannad?

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai maybe? I don't actually remember how close to the end of the first season the relationship becomes official, but there is a second season (which I haven't seen, mind) so yeah. Better as a comedy than a romance in my opinion, but hey.

vvv Ok then. Though I will defend the protagonist as not being particularly bland due to his whole chuunibyou gimmick.

Outer Science fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 23, 2014

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Relambrien posted:

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai maybe? I don't actually remember how close to the end of the first season the relationship becomes official, but there is a second season (which I haven't seen, mind) so yeah. Better as a comedy than a romance in my opinion, but hey.

Second season is horrible and the main guy is one of the blander one's in recent memory.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Not harem, just pure romcom, but if you haven't seen it, watch Lovely Complex.
I recently rewatched it and it starts out sooo gooood. Loses a little steam in the middle, but it's still good throughout. It's comedy, so they'll still use wacky misunderstandings to comedic effect, but the main character actually confesses before the halfway point of the series, iirc.

It also deals with a topic i haven't seen pop up very much in anime: How to deal with your crush not exactly... reciprocating your feelings.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Okay, I can't take it anymore: I really want to watch or read a harem/romcom anime.

Not just any harem/romcom anime, mind you. I want to watch or read a story where:

• The main character guy/girl is actually interesting enough to deserve the attention of his/her harem beyond his/her "niceness". Main characters from series like Infinite Stratos, Index, the Mahouka thing and (to an extent) the -monogatari franchise have made me sick of the main guy/girl being an audience stand-in.
  • Seriously, gently caress bland main characters.
  • There's an actual endgame and you can sort-of tell, like in Bonnouji or Toradora!. No eternal blue-balls, wacky misunderstandings where it takes ages to get somewhere or last chapter/episode relationships.
  • It doesn't necessarily have to be comedy-inclined. Some drama is nice every now and then.
  • No School Days. That show made me stop watching anime for years and I can't remember why I listened to my friend back when she recommended it (in retrospect, she was most likely screwing with me for shits 'n giggles).

Nisekoi had a scene in the recent episode where all of the girls involved are informed about the current circumstances and the mystery surrounding it. When was the last time that happened in a rom-com? Also the show is hilarious, albeit very SHAFT-y.

I'll second Clannad, which is a very well written romance drama with a side order of comedy. No wacky misunderstandings to speak of.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Yeah, Clannad is a really good one. Tomoya's a legitimately interesting character and he's probably one of the most developed "harem" protagonists out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

It's technically a "reverse harem", but Ouran Host Club is genuinely funny with a great main heroine.

• Locked thread