Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Robin Rises: Omega is real

But Damian really is coming back, right? RIGHT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Hipster Falcone forever

Dude's even complaining about Gotham getting gentrified

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Batman Eternal wasn't really worse than the first issue but at the end I was just kind of "eh I don't think I can do another 50 or whatever weeks of this.

Batman #30 though was great from start to finish. I absolutely love the colors in the book.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

Batman Eternal wasn't really worse than the first issue but at the end I was just kind of "eh I don't think I can do another 50 or whatever weeks of this.

Batman #30 though was great from start to finish. I absolutely love the colors in the book.

Yeah it's kind of criminal that the colorist doesn't get a credit on the cover. They are a big part of what I've enjoyed about this arc!

Bedtime Stories
Jul 28, 2013
I feel like the odd man out because I really enjoyed Eternal this week (TLH helped get me into comics, so the Falcone reveal was nice) and thought Batman #30 was a little bland. I think I'm just fatigued by the "Zero Year" arc at this point, and I'm not sure I can handle 20+ more issues of Snyder's monologues. Cap struck out as always, though.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Aw, yeah, Batman '66! It's the Terrific Trio versus the Dastardly Duo as Catwoman and the Joker go on a madcap looting spree. But it may very well be 3 v 3 next issue...

Harley '66 incoming!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Robin Rises: Omega is real

But Damian really is coming back, right? RIGHT?

Aww. One-shot? It's Tomasi and he's doing the lead up right now in B&R and directly afterwards it's going back to 'and Robin', so I guess a miniseries isn't necessary.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 17, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's probably gonna be something like Robin Rises: Omega -> Batman & -> Some other Batfamily thing -> Batman & -> Batfamily book #3 -> Robin Rises: Greek Word

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Veg posted:

Suprising noone, Batman #30 was fantastic. Great end to the issue, tying up the riddle from the start.

So, Gotham is now The Last of Us, right? I might be a little thin on my literary references, but even Jim's beard screamed The Last of Us.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Read the first 2 issues of Eternal and while I generally enjoyed it, between this and Gotham Year Zero I am getting a bit tired of Gotham getting destroyed beyond repair during every event. It's looking like Gotham goes through a No Man's Land every 2 weeks or so now.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Madkal posted:

Read the first 2 issues of Eternal and while I generally enjoyed it, between this and Gotham Year Zero I am getting a bit tired of Gotham getting destroyed beyond repair during every event. It's looking like Gotham goes through a No Man's Land every 2 weeks or so now.

New York syndrome.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Madkal posted:

Gotham is basically Godzilla-style Tokyo?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Trast posted:

Gotham is basically Godzilla-style Tokyo?

It sure seems like it. I would love Batman and Superman to do an exchange for a day. Batman goes to Metropolis and is bored out of his mind and Superman goes to Gotham and has to stop the city from being destroyed every half hour.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
They've done this a few times previously. I wish I had examples, but I'd swear to you they have. I remember both had real problems operating in each other's cities.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Bloodly posted:

They've done this a few times previously. I wish I had examples, but I'd swear to you they have. I remember both had real problems operating in each other's cities.

There's one from the No Man's Land time period where Superman tries to fix things in Gotham and realizes the town is too hosed up for Superman's help.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Are there any Batman series/alternate universes/one-shots/whatever where he's completely detached from the rest of the DC universe? Batman's about the only superhero I have any time for because he's ultimately just a guy, but having brightly-coloured clowns with what amount to magic powers turning up in Gotham really throws me out of things. The idea of Batman, gritty and tormented two-fisted detective, hunting down murderers and crooked cops in an urban hellhole only to look over his shoulder and see Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and whoever the gently caress else flying down the street is way too :wtc: for my tastes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Payndz posted:

Are there any Batman series/alternate universes/one-shots/whatever where he's completely detached from the rest of the DC universe? Batman's about the only superhero I have any time for because he's ultimately just a guy, but having brightly-coloured clowns with what amount to magic powers turning up in Gotham really throws me out of things. The idea of Batman, gritty and tormented two-fisted detective, hunting down murderers and crooked cops in an urban hellhole only to look over his shoulder and see Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and whoever the gently caress else flying down the street is way too :wtc: for my tastes.
There's a million of 'em: Batman: Year One, Batman: Year 100, Batman and The Mad Monk/The Monster Men, Gotham by Gaslight, most of the original Legends of the Dark Knight series (such as Shaman, Gothic, Prey/Terror, Conspiracy...I could go on forever), Batman/Grendel (1 & 2), Batman Confidential #49, and The Forensic Files of Batman come to mind immediately. You'd probably like a lot of the O'Neil/Adams '70s Batman/Detective issues.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 20, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I can't remember when the last issue of 'Batman' had any superhero cameos. Have you tried the current main series?

e: There's a weekly series that just started called Batman Eternal. It's only on issue 2, so you could get in on the ground floor of that. It seems pretty street level at the moment.

You could also get in on Detective Comics from the last issue, #30. That's a new creative team and new storyline with seemingly no ties to any super-pals.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 20, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Darwyn Cooke's Batman Beyond short from Wondercon:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04/19/that-batman-beyondbatman-adventures-short-they-just-saw-at-wondercon/

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Good attempt Darwyn, but you didn't have Bruce Wayne yell out "Terry, Get out of there, NOW!"
Scrap your entire work and start over.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Kinda strange to include Beware The Batman and yet not the Nolan trilogy bats.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Kinda strange to include Beware The Batman and yet not the Nolan trilogy bats.
I think one of them (in the way back) was the design from the Burton 1989 film. Least that's what it looked like.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Payndz posted:

Try "Perpetual Mourning" by Ted McKeever from the Batman: Black and White series as just one stand out example. It may have won an Eisner. It's a very stripped down, human detective story about simple street crime. I'd love a dozen more stories with McKeever's Batman.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
They're making a Suicide Squad animated movie, Kevin is coming back to play Batman too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh8VEi9jHqQ

I'm really disappointed King Shark isn't a shark anymore, just a giant thug with metal teeth :(

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Try "Perpetual Mourning" by Ted McKeever from the Batman: Black and White series as just one stand out example. It may have won an Eisner. It's a very stripped down, human detective story about simple street crime. I'd love a dozen more stories with McKeever's Batman.
Hell, the whole Black and White line would probably be up his alley. Good suggestion.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Flameingblack posted:

They're making a Suicide Squad animated movie, Kevin is coming back to play Batman too.

So glad to see The Wall lives in a least one medium, and with CCH Pounder no less.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Flameingblack posted:

I'm really disappointed King Shark isn't a shark anymore, just a giant thug with metal teeth :(
Honestly I'm not sure whether to call this an Arkham Asylum adaption movie or a Suicide Squad movie. When I heard they were adapting Arkham Asylum into a game I didn't get the reason why, because the game is pretty much like an interactive movie with easy controls and little to no puzzle solving. The animation team really made it their own though with adding in Suicide Squad to the mix and it seems like the movie is going to be focused more around them with Batman playing a more secondary role.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

lotus circle posted:

Honestly I'm not sure whether to call this an Arkham Asylum adaption movie or a Suicide Squad movie. When I heard they were adapting Arkham Asylum into a game I didn't get the reason why, because the game is pretty much like an interactive movie with easy controls and little to no puzzle solving. The animation team really made it their own though with adding in Suicide Squad to the mix and it seems like the movie is going to be focused more around them with Batman playing a more secondary role.

It's not an adaptation of the game, it just takes place in the same universe. Arkham Origins, and even more so the PSVita game, already set up the Suicide Squad, so it's more of a tie in to them than anything.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

redbackground posted:

Hell, the whole Black and White line would probably be up his alley. Good suggestion.
Just ordered the first volume after looking it up. Thanks, thread! (I hope.)

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Payndz posted:

Volume 1 has a Katsuhiro Otomo story so you can't really go wrong.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Payndz posted:

Volume 1 opens with the story I mentioned and is probably the strongest one in terms of writers and artists.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
So comixology gave me a free $5 gift card. I got Batman Eternal #3.

Even though I didn't pay for it I want my money back. Just... Montoya, Bullock, Bard, and Sawyer just stare blankly at the Evil New Comissioner. FFS even Bullock is not dumb enough to miss the huge "I'M EVIL!" sign Forbes wears.

Stephanie was just poorly written and I swear to god I don't want to read another origin story. They're not even changing anything major with this new one, it's like it exists entirely so they can start her character over. gently caress that poo poo.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
From the C2E2 Batman panel:

Scott Snyder about the Joker posted:

"The fun is to make him a stranger. I loved you and you threw me away and now you don't know me anymore. He will be scarier than ever before."
http://www.newsarama.com/20956-c2e2-2014-dc-comics-batman-panel-live.html

Joy :suicide:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Scarier than terrorizing people with his face unattached?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

http://www.newsarama.com/20956-c2e2-2014-dc-comics-batman-panel-live.html

quote:

Will we see Renee Montoya, and in what capacity? Snyder said, "there are no bigger Renee Montoya fans than the people working on Eternal, but the key is to find the right way to bring her back and honor her, like we did for Stephanie Brown. Cass, too, I wrote her in Gates of Gotham and miss her. We're trying!"

"Yeah, nearly three years into the New Universe and DC's management still hates Cassandra Caine with a fiery passion. But hey, we've managed to get them to release Stephanie to us, so maybe we'll finally be allowed use her by next year. 2015, tops."

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
I was at the C2E2 panel and nothing sounded that interesting to me, but hearing Snyder talk about the lion fight was pretty funny.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Can someone explain to me the Batman Beyond comics continuity right now (Universe, 2.0, JL beyond)? I'm so confused.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

hiddenriverninja posted:

Can someone explain to me the Batman Beyond comics continuity right now (Universe, 2.0, JL beyond)? I'm so confused.
The comic continuity is a continuation of DC's animated continuity (BTAS, Batman Beyond, Justice League - basically anything Bruce Timm produced between 1992 - 2006)

The first series of Beyond comics by Adam Beechen tried to blend DCAU with DCU in a terrible "toss and see what sticks" manner. It lasted 26 digital issues before finally being put down, with the authorship handed off to Kyle Higgins. Higgins continues it with Batman Beyond 2.0, which skips ahead a year after Beechen's run ends continuity-wise. Some things happened that no one knows the answers to yet, mainly why Terry's ground control is Dick and not Bruce. Higgins run so far is miles better than Beechen's and you can honestly skip the Beechen comics altogether and not miss a lot. The only important things are that Dick is around and Dana (Terry's girlfriend) learned he's Batman.

The Justice League Beyond comics also follows off the animated continuity and is in the same continuity as Batman Beyond. The first run is handled by Derek Fridolfs and Dustin Nguyen (for the first major arc) and that lasts 25 digital issues. After the first big opening arc, Konstriction, the run focused more on giving the members origin stories and adding new members to the group. It's done a lot better than Beechen's run. JLB 2.0 is now being written by Christos Gage and also takes place a year after the end of JLB, much like BB 2.0, and both comics are being released bi-monthly digitally and with a printed issue monthly featuring two digital issues from both comics together.

I hope that wasn't too long or droll of an explanation. Honestly the Beyond comics is probably some of the best stuff DC is putting out right now, so it deserves more attention. Especially if you aren't a fan of the New 52, since the comics are separate from that.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

This might be a dumb question but the hardcover Batman: Odyssey on Amazon that is 368 pages is the full run right? I can only find 5 of my single issues since moving and always wanted to just get them all in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

First issue of Batman post-Zero Year will have art by Matteo Scalera (Black Science.)
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclusive-batman-34-cover-and-solicit-reveal/1100-148747/

:allears:

• Locked thread