Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Got any extra firstborns?

Corbeau posted:

Engi B because it's hilarious. After all, just look at this monster:

Then I got murdered by AI ships.

Correction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD7yC87xzPo&hd=1

This is amazing. This is the Mona Lisa of music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012

Momplestiltskin posted:

Never expect mercy from the FTL Gods, only hope for it. This is something I have learned in my time in this universe. You would not believe the amount of time I sunk into Rock B runs for the crystal quest before they made it easier (it's still really drat hard). It is just sinful and not something I'm even really proud of. Goddamn that crystal ship is so good though.

I had to get the advanced addition to get that ship as well, winning with all A & B variants except Lanius, it so good though.

Also Stealth B since if you reach sector 8 with it, you unlock the Stealth C which you don't have.

That's awesome.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

New Episode!

Episode Thirteen: "An Auspicious Episode for Killing Slugs" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SBTLVTv1zs

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Considering how useful Mind Control was last time, it could save you, especially since you will be able to disable all weapon systems pretty easily.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Zebrin posted:

Considering how useful Mind Control was last time, it could save you, especially since you will be able to disable all weapon systems pretty easily.

With borders he can disable the weapons systems of the boss even more easily and much more permanently.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
So long as he doesn't kill all the crew members, having the ship go AI and start repairing itself would be a pain... kinda find it odd that the self repair stuff isn't on with the crew there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Mind-control will also be quite useful for killing off the crew in the main section of the flagship, as the AI has no compunctions about killing its own mind-controlled crew and they can't benefit from the medbay. Of course, you can also just hack the medbay.

Rank-3 mind control makes your mind-controlled enemies into absolute beasts, incidentally; one guy can just about fight two opponents to a standstill.

EDIT: VVV you should take out the beam weapon in phase 1 if only so it can't be repaired during phase 2, where it's a legitimate threat.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 18, 2014

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
With mind control and teleport, you only actually need to board twice: once to take out the missiles and another to take out the ions. Maybe a third time to take out the beam weapon. Then once they can't hurt you, you can just use the mind control enemy - teleport them to your ship - beat them up combo to pick off enemies in the main section one by one without ever having to step foot into the main section even once.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

These points are all true. Mind Control isn't bad; I just really wanted to get cloaking because of the stealth weapons (I was aiming for a take no damage run on the boss). Mind control will certainly be a valuable asset. Honestly though, even without mind control our ship is already more than capable of winning much more handily than our Kestrel was.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Chain Ion is a stupid good weapon for long fights. A four Ion damage weapon will lock down a system for an incredibly long time, so much like the Ion Burst Mark II it can lock down shields completely by itself. It just takes only two shots to kill four shields as opposed to eight.

Combined with those two Chain Lasers, you could rip the flagship open with minimal effort once you'd spun them all up to max power.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

Chain Ion is a stupid good weapon for long fights. A four Ion damage weapon will lock down a system for an incredibly long time, so much like the Ion Burst Mark II it can lock down shields completely by itself. It just takes only two shots to kill four shields as opposed to eight.

Combined with those two Chain Lasers, you could rip the flagship open with minimal effort once you'd spun them all up to max power.

I accomplished much the same by hacking the shields and then firing a charge laser, burst laser II, and a hull laser at the same time. The boss was dead in about 5 minutes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah, I really hope you use the ion weapon for the boss. Ion weapons are just great when you're focusing on boarding.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I just found out today that Engi A has hit a serious downgrade when doing a advanced run. With the addition of the anti-drone-drone it has made dieing on your first 3 jumps that much more likely. It use to be Engi A could get you to sector 5 easily with only shield upgrades.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, I really hope you use the ion weapon for the boss. Ion weapons are just great when you're focusing on boarding.

I may, we would need to buy A LOT more in weapons to make use of it, and honestly we really don't need it very much. I have something... special in mind for the boss fight.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Momplestiltskin posted:

I may, we would need to buy A LOT more in weapons to make use of it, and honestly we really don't need it very much. I have something... special in mind for the boss fight.

I am pretty sure I know what that is.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Kirenski posted:

I had to get the advanced addition to get that ship as well, winning with all A & B variants except Lanius, it so good though.

Also Stealth B since if you reach sector 8 with it, you unlock the Stealth C which you don't have.

That's awesome.

Since I love the Stealth cruiser more than is reasonable, I may take the Stealth cruiser B myself on Normal if it doesn't get done by our host.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Momplestiltskin posted:

...I'm not making it out of this run alive, am I. Ah well, at least those neurons got a chance to grow back.

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."
Thanks to this thread I finally, finally, finally, got around to successfully downing the boss. Thanks, Momplestiltskin!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Same here. I had never beaten the game before, then started playing again because of the update and this LP. In the last week since picking the game back up again I've now beaten the game with the Kestrel B, Federation Cruiser B, Stealth Cruiser A (going from no shields to a Zoltan Shield was amusing in that run), all three Rock Cruisers (no access to Rock Homeworlds in any of those runs so far. Stupid Crystal Ship.) and Slug A. All of those on Easy mode, of course.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I just scraped through to a win with Stealth B. That ship is...weird. The Halberd Beam is really loving powerful so you don't want to get rid of it, but at the same time it uses 4 power which means any further investment in weapons is horribly expensive. And you're going to need further investment in weapons, because at bare minimum it doesn't work any more once enemies get 3 shield pips.

I'm kind of curious what the scrap values of the various ships would be if you priced out their systems, augments, equipment, and crew. I get the feeling the only reason the Stealth ships make grade is because Cloaking is such an expensive system, but IMO it's overpriced and should probably cost more like 100 scrap considering the amount of utility it gets you. Then again, I'm an Easy scrub so what do I know?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Cloaking is REALLY good though.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
So I picked up this game and tried it on normal... got my crew killed off by the second ship I encountered in the game.

Who the heck puts a boarding drone in the beginning of the game?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Dee Ehm posted:

So I picked up this game and tried it on normal... got my crew killed off by the second ship I encountered in the game.

welcome the the sometimes BS RNG of FTL. I have had starts that had only one node path and the ship at the node just destroying my ship. Things like hitting me through cloak (15% chance) to take out my weapons and then systematically taking apart my such that running away wasn't even an option.
Did I mention that this was on easy?

If you play enough you learn little tricks like level 2 O2 with all the doors open is enough to keep all the rooms breathable in the event of a breach. Level 3 can keep a room with a breach breathable with the door closed. Other small things with level 2 teleporters 100+ health crew can board an AI ship and just make it back in time. A 100 heath crew will have about 7 health left when they get back.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Use Stealth B because I've never managed to get through a single sector with no shields whatsoever.

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012

GoatLord posted:

Use Stealth B because I've never managed to get through a single sector with no shields whatsoever.

It's hard but doable, getting cloaking 3 as soon as possible with the glaive beam is the aim. Enemies using beam drones or any attacking drones though will rip you apart.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Invenerable posted:

Engi B, because you're clearly not frustrated enough when you play this game.
If you want frustrating you want the Federation Cruiser C. At least with the Engi B you actually have weapons.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Dee Ehm posted:

Sometimes the RNG hates you. Like when your first jump with the stealth ship leads to an unmanned Scout with drones.

Ed: sign me up for duty. Staff sergeant Richard butts. Disliked in the academy for his odd birth defect, he took a strong liking to the weapons systems. Showers made everyone else uncomfortable, so he got assigned to some back water ship carrying "important information" necessary for the survival of the federation.

Dickey Butts fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 19, 2014

Blacksuit
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks to this thread, I found out about and now enjoy Advanced Edition. Tip of the hat, Momplestiltskin. Also:

Blacksuit the Federation Loyalist isn't just a paper-pushing G-man, he's a spacer with a taste for alien liquor. He'll sign up for any mission, no matter how seemingly doomed, if it means getting away from his desk and sidling up to an array of in-store bars. Micro-clone him a new liver and spool up the FTL drive!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

RO being in the Fed Cruiser C. And getting a Zoltan ship up 1st

The fed C is heavily armed. With manpower. 2 Zoltans AND a mantis. you can board tons of ships!

Unless they have super shields. :((

ahaha. THIS GAME. attemtpt number god knows. I get my first weapon. It's loot.

It's a burst laser MK3.

just need 100 scrap to unlock enough power slots for it. Then another 60 to run it.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 19, 2014

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Personally I'd like to see a Federation Cruiser run, either A or B. It has a pleasingly anime feel of holding off the enemy whilst charging a doomsday mega-cannon, and it has an interestingly different upgrade curve as a result.

Also put my name on the roster as that lone heroic Human crewmember most of the non-human ships start with. The Federation's noble messenger of hope. A shame he doesn't live in a setting with green-skinned space babes (drat that lying recruiter).

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
For the love of god here is a helpful hint. If you do not have cloning bays make sure you absolutely positively upgrade oxygen. There is a nonzero chance that the hacking drone will hack your oxygen levels making it a distinct possibility that it wipe out your entire crew.

Veloxyll posted:

RO being in the Fed Cruiser C. And getting a Zoltan ship up 1st

The fed C is heavily armed. With manpower. 2 Zoltans AND a mantis. you can board tons of ships!

Unless they have super shields. :((
I actually take back what I said earlier. Its looks like its a slightly worst off configuration of the Mantis C.
EDIT:
Its only real weakness is that it needs a Zoltan Bypass Shield to beat the final boss.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 19, 2014

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
This thread made me pick FTL back up. I just had a Torus run where I picked up a Mk III Burst Laser (Five shots, and most of my enemies had one shield) in Sector 1, and put most my scrap into Reactor and weapons power until I could run that and the Ion weapon side by side.
The final boss murdered me, but until then I tore through ships like tissue paper. Wish I'd gotten a clone bay to go with my teleporter, though - experimentation with hacking and boarding got me brutalized.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I just had a bizarrely successful run with the Rock A. I didn't get a single non-ammo-using weapon until sector 6, but I got a teleporter early, and between that and buying every single bit of ammo in every store, I was able to keep going. Then in sector 6 I got two Burst Laser IIs and a Charge Ion, which is just a ridiculous combination.

I also got the Crystal Crewmember in sector 3...and then the Rock Homeworlds were nowhere in sight :argh: At least his lockdown ability was handy for murdalizing crew regardless of whether or not they had a medbay.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011
My impression of the Mk III Burst Laser is that it's not that great in the end game and awful before that. I think it would be a great weapon if you only had two weapon slots, but otherwise you can find better uses for those slots. It has a lot of disadvantages, especially in the early game, since it takes so long to charge and requires so much energy. If your weapon systems are damaged it will probably go offline and you'll have to repair those systems and wait for it to charge again, hoping they don't target your weapons again. I think a Mk II Burst laser would be a much better prize.

Edit: Though you could possibly fit it into a strategy involving the pre-igniter to try and disable a system with the first volley. But that seems like a risky strategy, because you could get screwed by the RNG and not even penetrate their shields, at which point you've gained nothing and are stuck with a substandard weapons layout.

psluuthor fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 19, 2014

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Well I've also picked up the game.

And I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I'm getting the feeling I'm overleveling weapons/shields at the expense of everything else.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

citybeatnik posted:

Well I've also picked up the game.

And I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I'm getting the feeling I'm overleveling weapons/shields at the expense of everything else.

Get the second shield bubble as soon as reasonable. The Kestrel A has a fantastic weapon loadout and shouldn't need extra weapons for a long time, though, so there's little pressure to level them. Instead, level your engines a bit, get more crewmembers (remember to man the doors and sensors), and upgrade the doors, medbay, piloting, and sensors when you can -- there's a fair number of blue options that require them. You'll also want more systems. Cloaking is fantastic and always useful; a teleporter is good if you have enough crew because taking ships "alive" gets you better rewards; hacking and mind control have lesser effects but are still handy. I have real trouble recommending drones though. A Defense Drone 1 will shoot down missiles, and that's about the best use of drones available.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have real trouble recommending drones though. A Defense Drone 1 will shoot down missiles, and that's about the best use of drones available.
The new anti-combat drone can be a life-saver against stage two of the boss.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
This is an awesome LP - I had heard of FTL before but only vaguely, so very glad I happened upon this. Having seen these videos, I'm tempted to pick it up.

This thread also made me realise that if a grown rear end man wants to hunker down and draw a space ship, there is precious little anyone could do to stop him. You brought this on yourself!
I give you the Spacebee B

Also, Engi B because suffering is what LPing is all about.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Dickey Butts posted:

Sometimes the RNG hates you.

Coming from Blood Bowl, Nuffle always hates you, sometimes he just hates the other guy more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Duuk posted:

This thread also made me realise that if a grown rear end man wants to hunker down and draw a space ship, there is precious little anyone could do to stop him. You brought this on yourself!
I give you the Spacebee B

Also, Engi B because suffering is what LPing is all about.

Oh god, a four space teleporter? That's just the sort of BS that FTL needs to be competitive.

Kestral C, because it's time to hoist the Jolly Roger and plunder our way across the Galaxy!

• Locked thread