Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In any movie where aliens come to earth to steal resources (Indepence Day, Battle Los Angeles,etc) wouldn't any civilization technologicaly advanced enough to have mastered FTL travel also be able scientifically synthesize any organic compound, especially ones like water?

Or better yet be smart enough to harvest asteroids or the other 7 (8,dozens) planets in the system instead of targeting the one planet with a species that has already depleted a good percentage of available resources and oh by the way could potentially fight back.

There's no reason for the aliens in Independence Day to have come within a million miles of Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

This is an actual plot point in Footfall, where some of the characters point out the alien invasion makes no sense whatsoever, and even some of the aliens wonder why the gently caress they bothered to invade.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
The aliens aren't stealing our resources because they need them, they're doing it because they're loving dickheads.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
There should be a movie where aliens invade earth because they had intelligence that said we had WMDs.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Gaunab posted:

There should be a movie where aliens invade earth because they had intelligence that said we had WMDs.

They made it already. It's called The Day the Earth Stood Still. That is actually what the original one is about.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think loving Transformers: Dark of the Moon, of all possible movies, had the best motive for an alien invasion: they needed the human race as slave labor to build their whatever-the-hell. Slaves being the one thing you can get on Earth that you can't just take from an unoccupied planet/moon/asteroid within the solar system.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I think loving Transformers: Dark of the Moon, of all possible movies, had the best motive for an alien invasion: they needed the human race as slave labor to build their whatever-the-hell. Slaves being the one thing you can get on Earth that you can't just take from an unoccupied planet/moon/asteroid within the solar system.

We'll make great pets (but seriously we won't, unless they can survive 2-3 generations of us being terroristic as hell.)

The elephantoid aliens from the above-mentioned Footfall tried to use people as duct cleaners because they couldn't get back in there and really scrub, but they forgot about the human spirit. Which is to kill stuff, especially really goofy looking Dumbo Drop mofos.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I came in a little late to Battle: Los Angeles...what resource were they actually after? If it was water like so many other films, that's pretty messed up. It'd be like us invading a planet because their lakes and oceans were made of blood.

The ID4 Aliens meanwhile were kind of written to be basically space locusts. I got the impression it was less about harvesting our resources and more about just running in and consuming it all, then loving off to the next planet that contained consumable resources.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

A group of sentient robots couldn't think of a better labour pool? Like maybe making a bunch of robots.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

I came in a little late to Battle: Los Angeles...what resource were they actually after? If it was water like so many other films, that's pretty messed up. It'd be like us invading a planet because their lakes and oceans were made of blood.

Whatever it was, I hope it had something to do with why the hell gigantic alien ships were buried in our sewers or whatever. I really can't imagine editors being so expensive that they couldn't get a few to make sense of that mess of a movie.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

A group of sentient robots couldn't think of a better labour pool? Like maybe making a bunch of robots.

That'd be robo-slavery and that poo poo is wrong.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Skyline was a terrible, utterly lovely alien invasion movie. But it becomes a bit more tolerable if you imagine it as a 90 minute Hoover Vacuum commercial.

Also as much as I love the old V movie and series, I will never not laugh at the ridiculous scene where Julie is being tortured and hallucinates a giant Iguana breaking through a wall.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Choco1980 posted:

The ID4 Aliens meanwhile were kind of written to be basically space locusts. I got the impression it was less about harvesting our resources and more about just running in and consuming it all, then loving off to the next planet that contained consumable resources.

Yeah it was water. They were using it as fuel. They showed the news in the movie saying that the ocean level already dropped several inches since the invasion started.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Also as much as I love the old V movie and series, I will never not laugh at the ridiculous scene where Julie is being tortured and hallucinates a giant Iguana breaking through a wall.

I watched both miniseries a few years back. It was interesting to see again, having been a huge fan as a little kid. Both the 1980s overacting, and the weird duality of the effects, where one moment you see some passable knowing it's old model and prosthetic work, and then the next they're doing smoke and strobe lights at a high school play level. And then there's a hand puppet. Which scared the hell out of me as a child, but hey.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MrJacobs posted:

What makes you think they didn't just steal it from another civilization rather than master the technology themselves? It would fit with their MO.

Water's ridiculously common in space. Traveling to the Earth from another star to steal water is like living in Saudi Arabia and going to Delaware to gas up your car and drive off without paying.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I like to think that aliens invading Earth are just a bunch of assholes or it's some kind of frat prank where they're from. Steal a rival school mascot, enslave or blow up a planet, it's all the same.

gently caress, wasn't Under the Dome about some alien kids who just dropped a dome over a city to see what the ants (humans) would do?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Did anyone play an ancient rail shooter called Deadly Tide? The idea is that a small fleet of aquatic aliens invade earth, and instead of bothering to fight us they just land at the bottom of the ocean where we can't get them, and sit there manufacturing water (how? from what?) to raise the sea-level and drown us out.

It's actually pretty clever

It doesn't make a lick of sense.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Cowslips Warren posted:

gently caress, wasn't Under the Dome about some alien kids who just dropped a dome over a city to see what the ants (humans) would do?

Yes, in the book at least, I haven't seen the show. It was supposed to pretty much be the alien equivalent of kids burning ants with a magnifying glass

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

Or better yet be smart enough to harvest asteroids or the other 7 (8,dozens) planets in the system instead of targeting the one planet with a species that has already depleted a good percentage of available resources and oh by the way could potentially fight back.

There's no reason for the aliens in Independence Day to have come within a million miles of Earth.

Well if you don't care what you're hurting, the Earth still has plenty of resources. And compared to everywhere else, Earth has a pretty safe environment. Even if you don't breath the air, you don't have to worry about Venus' crushing pressure or Mars' lack of magnetic shielding.

And aliens are dicks.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cowslips Warren posted:

I like to think that aliens invading Earth are just a bunch of assholes or it's some kind of frat prank where they're from. Steal a rival school mascot, enslave or blow up a planet, it's all the same.

This reminds me of Roadside Picnic, which is one of my favorite explanations for an alien invasion because it's not clear that they actually realized what they were doing to us or if they were simply so advanced that their chilling out having fun with a picnic was our hell on earth alien attack. The scientists hypothesized that they just kind of wander the universe like god drat masters of creation and throw their junk wherever they like, causing horrible mutations and natural disasters like a tornado big enough to swallow Chicago.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Shai-Hulud posted:

Yeah it was water. They were using it as fuel. They showed the news in the movie saying that the ocean level already dropped several inches since the invasion started.

Then drat, I repeat what I said--the half of the movie that's not just a military recruitment commercial is pretty messed up. The aliens are revealed to be filled with water in the scene where our soldiers capture one of theirs and um, vivisect him right there. Jesus that seems fairly awful in retrospect. The only thing I really liked about that movie was how the aliens seemed to be using tactics much more akin to human military than you normally see in alien invasion films. It wasn't just some big wave of soldiers and nukes, but rather platoons of infantry, artillary vehicles, and recon scouts.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Choco1980 posted:

Then drat, I repeat what I said--the half of the movie that's not just a military recruitment commercial is pretty messed up. The aliens are revealed to be filled with water in the scene where our soldiers capture one of theirs and um, vivisect him right there. Jesus that seems fairly awful in retrospect. The only thing I really liked about that movie was how the aliens seemed to be using tactics much more akin to human military than you normally see in alien invasion films. It wasn't just some big wave of soldiers and nukes, but rather platoons of infantry, artillary vehicles, and recon scouts.

The aliens are using drones and the humans are using suicide-bombers.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

Well if you don't care what you're hurting, the Earth still has plenty of resources. And compared to everywhere else, Earth has a pretty safe environment. Even if you don't breath the air, you don't have to worry about Venus' crushing pressure or Mars' lack of magnetic shielding.

And aliens are dicks.

No, you have to worry about the highly toxic and corrosive oxygen atmosphere, and the 11kps deep gravity well (never mind that you are already diving deep into Sols well to get here). There is about as much water on the asteroid Ceres as there is on Earth. There is literally no resource on Earth at would not be available in higher quantities with less effort in one of our debris disks, excepting life (maybe).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

We rarely use the "The aliens just think people are really loving tasty" reasoning for alien invasions in media, but its the only one that really makes sense. People will eat meat from far away which is rare and expensive in preference to locally sourced things, no reason that aliens wouldnt do similar. About the only thing that you can find on earth that you cant find easier in space (provided you have the technology to travel interstellar distances) is earths plant and animal life.

When you think about it, the Predator franchise has one of the few motivations for alien invasion that makes sense given about 10 seconds of thought. the predators are after one of the only things that they couldnt find easier on an uninhabited planet. They are trophy hunters rather than food hunters right enough, but the point stands.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ Some of the extended universe stuff about the Predators even takes it further: they like hunting us because we're really really dirty fighters.

Not a movie, but the Command and Conquer game that had the aliens in it dealt with this topic pretty well. They were supposed to invade after humanity had wiped itself out flinging Tiberium all over the world, but arrived prematurely with what is essentially non-military units at their disposal. Powerful compared to the locals, but still only harvesting units nonetheless.

Your AI assistant points out how dumb sticking around is, but your boss is too obsessed with harvesting Tiberium that he orders you to stick around.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Apr 18, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SiKboy posted:

We rarely use the "The aliens just think people are really loving tasty" reasoning for alien invasions in media, but its the only one that really makes sense. People will eat meat from far away which is rare and expensive in preference to locally sourced things, no reason that aliens wouldnt do similar. About the only thing that you can find on earth that you cant find easier in space (provided you have the technology to travel interstellar distances) is earths plant and animal life.

That's pretty much the premise of the novel "Under the Skin." The main character is an alien who has been altered to look like a human being and she drives around picking up hitchhikers who would be easily missed. She then drugs them and takes them back to her farm where they're fattened up like cattle and slaughtered. The meat is then shipped back to their home planet.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

MisterBibs posted:

^ Some of the extended universe stuff about the Predators even takes it further: they like hunting us because we're really really dirty fighters.

Big talk coming from the guys that only hunt while invisible, using auto aim plasma cannons.

Dr_Amazing has a new favorite as of 02:18 on Apr 19, 2014

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

SiKboy posted:

When you think about it, the Predator franchise has one of the few motivations for alien invasion that makes sense given about 10 seconds of thought. the predators are after one of the only things that they couldnt find easier on an uninhabited planet. They are trophy hunters rather than food hunters right enough, but the point stands.

I really like this premise and it almost works better without humans at all (except we get in the aliens' way). Even the idea of humans being particularly interesting biologically or culinarily out of all the other crazy types of life on earth seems silly, we mostly have nice brains. Can't the aliens just really love sea urchin? Or maybe botulinum is like saffron to them.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Dr_Amazing posted:

Big talk coming from the guys that only hunt while invisible, using auto aim plasma cannons.

This always bothered me and was always way I never understood the "they're so cool" fanboys of Predator.

They're the galactic equivalent of setting up a treestand, throwing down some delicious nuts and salt licks and waiting for a Deer to come up so you can blast it at 20 feet.

Predator fandom is more inexplicable to me than Boba Fett fandom.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Pook Good Mook posted:

This always bothered me and was always way I never understood the "they're so cool" fanboys of Predator.

They're the galactic equivalent of setting up a treestand, throwing down some delicious nuts and salt licks and waiting for a Deer to come up so you can blast it at 20 feet.

I can't say I'm an expert on the Predator franchise but I never really got the impression they were hunting for sport. If that were the case your complaint would make a lot more sense. Hunting for its own sake doesn't need to involve skill or challenge, so them using auto-aim and invisibility (Or tree stands and salt licks) to their advantage is all that's needed.

Now I wonder what Predators would do for sport. Do they have Xenomorph egg races?

The Duke of Ben
Jul 12, 2005
Listen, if you're not going to tell me how the entire world economic, political, and social order can be completely replaced in every detail, then I think maybe you should consider that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Check and mate.

Pook Good Mook posted:

I tend to think that what they are doing is raising the ante on the humans they encounter, until the humans start responding seriously. In 1 and 2, the technology gets dropped as soon as a human takes the threat seriously enough to hurt the predator even with the technology difference. Then once the Predator gives up the technology, the real fight begins.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Lead Psychiatry posted:

I can't say I'm an expert on the Predator franchise but I never really got the impression they were hunting for sport. If that were the case your complaint would make a lot more sense. Hunting for its own sake doesn't need to involve skill or challenge, so them using auto-aim and invisibility (Or tree stands and salt licks) to their advantage is all that's needed.

Now I wonder what Predators would do for sport. Do they have Xenomorph egg races?

There's no way you've ever seen a Predator movie beyond the first one and not realized they were hunting for sport. There are times when they give their prey weapons to even the playing field, and they manage an extensive game park (the earth) so that they may periodically hunt the most dangerous game of all (xenomorphs, not people). You're missing the subtext hard if you don't think they're hunting for sport.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Bad wording ( And understanding of "hunting for sport") on my behalf, then. I was working under the belief that more challenge = more sporting. Using a whole arsenal makes sense against Xenomorphs, since they tend to have the numbers. But not against humans, which was the part of the discussion I was commenting towards.

No idea what you're referencing when ya say "Give their prey weapons to even the playing field" though.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
When Predators come to earth they tend to hunt groups of humans, not just stalk one prey. It seems to even up the odds a little considering in both of the Predator movies the Predators lost. Pacific Rim had a pretty decent rationale behind the alien invaders. Just send a bunch of monsters through a portal until they kill everything, leaving the home world and species untouched. Although their timing was a bit off, if they had just sent some Kaiju through around 1200 AD or so they could have mopped up humanity with just one. In fact they had a 65 million year window where they could have had their way with Earth. I hope who ever kept putting that off got fired.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
They covered that. The reason we weren't attacked earlier is that we didn't have a hosed up enough planet for these things to live on. Apparently greenhouse gases, global warming, CO2, etc sets up the atmosphere to what they like.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Your Gay Uncle posted:

When Predators come to earth they tend to hunt groups of humans, not just stalk one prey. It seems to even up the odds a little considering in both of the Predator movies the Predators lost. Pacific Rim had a pretty decent rationale behind the alien invaders. Just send a bunch of monsters through a portal until they kill everything, leaving the home world and species untouched. Although their timing was a bit off, if they had just sent some Kaiju through around 1200 AD or so they could have mopped up humanity with just one. In fact they had a 65 million year window where they could have had their way with Earth. I hope who ever kept putting that off got fired.

During the movie they say it's actually the polluted atmosphere that attracted them to Earth in that particular era. So maybe by 1200 AD it wasn't polluted enough for them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Away all Goats posted:

During the movie they say it's actually the polluted atmosphere that attracted them to Earth in that particular era. So maybe by 1200 AD it wasn't polluted enough for them.

Plus, they were kicking humanity's rear end pretty good, even with nukes started getting flung around. Most invasion plans don't feature a contingency plan for "and they start building giant two hundred foot tall robots out of nowhere".

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
When Palpatine's laying down in the window making weird noises in Episode 3, you can see a bunch of black amalgam fillings in his teeth. Are you telling me that a futuristic civilization couldn't ect. .

e: And when Vader and Palpatine are standing on the bridge of the proto-Star Destroyer at the end, the guy standing off to the side has weird sunken-face Peter Cushing makeup on.

Fuckin' Riff Trax, making me watch this again.

Pneub has a new favorite as of 11:31 on Apr 19, 2014

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

"and they start building giant two hundred foot tall robots out of nowhere".

If we really ever do get invaded by aliens I sincerely hope that the bigwigs in charge seriously consider this option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Away all Coats posted:

The film also says they wiped out the dinosaurs. Apparently "wait for humans to evolve 65 million years later and develop to the exact point where they're advanced enough to gently caress up the atmosphere but insufficiently advanced to kick our asses as we send wave after wave of giant monsters after them" was an easier option than "dump out some smog factories in the late Triassic, check back every few decades."

Splicer has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Apr 19, 2014

• Locked thread