Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Silhouette posted:

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AI0agUKkQw

The Union is "Oi!: The Faction". Put on a scally cap and break a loving bottle over a dracula's head.

Someone besides Attorney at Funk actually gets one of these song choices right and then you gently caress it all up by linking to the Dropkick Murphys version of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Crion posted:

Someone besides Attorney at Funk actually gets one of these song choices right and then you gently caress it all up by linking to the Dropkick Murphys version of it

There are far worse renditions of that song than the Murphys, I'm sure.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Xelkelvos posted:

A lot of the contracts are either situational or require a bit of creativity to get any mileage out of them. Particularly at the 1 and 2 dot levels.

In a game where receiving a prophecy of the future is not only a two dot merit, a graduated merit, a race-based 'gift', a 1-5 dot item, and a two dot contract- not even counting some of the weirder late-in-the-line dream systems- "situational" situations are part and parcel of your shtick.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Cabbit posted:

There are far worse renditions of that song than the Murphys, I'm sure.

Here's one of the good ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msEYGql0drc

Join the One Big Compact, fellow hunter!

Radiofreak
Feb 25, 2011

Tin Pin's a battle between SOULS!

It's like your fiery passion slams into the other guy's, like WHAM!

Crion posted:

To be fair, the Dropkick version is what would be blaring tinnily out of the jukebox in the corner of the dingy bar where the cell meets up every night to have a double of whisky before going out and brutalising some fishmen.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Gifts are interesting because they're the kind of thing you'd expect to be freeform and designable off the cuff ( "Oh, you do a favor for the tree spirit? Okay, in return it teaches you to... let's say teleport from one tree to another") but on the other hand need robust progressions and power libraries since they're the primary vehicle for differentiating one werewolf from another. The way WtF is implemented right now, being a Rahu or being a Bone Shadow or something pretty much means having access to the appropriate Gift Lists.

gently caress it. GOON PREVIEW INCOMING!

So one of the problems we have with Gifts is that they're scattershot, and they're tied to Renown but not in a sensible way. So we're splitting Gifts out into two (well, three) types.

The first are Moon Gifts. You get this for being your Auspice; they're what used to be called X Moon Gifts. They scale when you buy Auspice Renown — you're a Rahu and buy Purity, you get the next rank of your Moon Gift. All the dice pools and static effects key off your Auspice Renown. These Gifts are directly "make you better at being your Auspice", and since Auspice directly correlates to "how you hunt", yeah. When we get around to converting the extra Auspice lists from Lore of the Forsaken and Signs of the Moon, they'll work similarly, but you only get one for free; the others you have to buy in to. You pick which one you get for free.

The second are Shadow Gifts. They're not ranked — the rough power level for each is what would have been a three-dot Gift before. Rather than lists, each one is the Gift of X. You get the Gift of Stealth or the Gift of Shaping or whatevs. You pick two from tribe and Auspice. Each Gift has five powers, each of which is tied to a specific kind of Renown, and again the renown rating factors in to dice pool or static effect. Buying into a Gift is 3/5 depending if they're tied to tribe/Auspice or not, and you get one Renown facet. Each other is 2 XP; you get one free when you increase that kind of Renown. So if you're a Rahu with Strength and Inspiration, stick a point in Purity and you get your next Full Moon *and* either Unite (Purity/Inspiration) or Primal Strength (Purity/Strength) for free.

The sorta-third type is Wolf Gifts, Change and Hunting. These are the new take on Father Wolf and Mother Luna's Gifts. They work like Shadow Gifts, but you don't need to buy in to them; you can pick them up for 2XP any time you want, as long as you have the appropriate Renown.

All of the Gifts are much better tuned to be the kind of powers that help you werewolf, rather than random "oh, yeah, you can do this now."

More detail and some actual Gifts from the book on the blog tonight.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Because of Supernatural, I will forever equate best Hunter with muscle cars, cock rock, and shotguns full of rock salt.

Someone needs to run that sort of poo poo, I don't know why it's not more popular on this forum.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

DigitalRaven posted:

GLORIOUS WEREWOLF SHENANIGANS

gently caress the hell yes, I am now officially excited for nnWoof.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Fuzz posted:

Because of Supernatural, I will forever equate best Hunter with muscle cars, cock rock, and shotguns full of rock salt. 

Someone needs to run that sort of poo poo, I don't know why it's not more popular on this forum.

I ran that exact game last year in The Game Room, using Monster of the Week. Only made it through one and a half cases before a combination of crunch time at my old job and being recruited for another job on the other side of the continent killed it, but it was indeed a ton of fun.

I also ran a similar game using nWoD Core several years ago, before Hunter was a thing. The bit in the Hunter corebook about secret Hunter message boards hidden behind the cover of Iowa Cat Fancier Magazine came from a PC in that game.

Punting posted:

gently caress the hell yes, I am now officially excited for nnWoof.

This story is true.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 18, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

GimpInBlack posted:

This story is true.

Nice.

The Idigam Chronicle sounds really promising! I like the way the preview here makes Renown sound more integral to a character and also less of a chore to buy up than core Forsaken does. I think (past vagaries in individual Gift design, and maybe the war form feeling insufficiently scary) that's the biggest mechanical defect of the game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

DigitalRaven: that all sounds amazing.

But please, can we not get a dumb layout like Blood and Smoke this time, though? Just put the Chapters in the same order you create the character, so Tribes and Aspects and stuff first along with Purity, then Attributes and Skills, then Gifts and all the Power stuff, then Merits last. You know, like 95% of your other books.

I loving love Blood and Smoke except for that layout stuff, and it's such a big yet simple thing that it's frustrating.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

World of Darkness books can't have good layouts. It's a defining trait of the setting.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cabbit posted:

World of Darkness books can't have good layouts. It's a defining trait of the setting.

It's true. I've been playing a poo poo ton of Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion and they have spoiled the hell out of me, the books are so beautiful.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Hey. Hey, World of Darkness thread posters. Please stop loving embedding Youtube videos of your favorite song because it makes posting really laggy. Just link to them or something. Thanks

DigitalRaven posted:

gently caress it. GOON PREVIEW INCOMING!

My god. My god. This brings new meaning to "goon justice."

All that sounds sick as hell. Core Forsaken was clearly trying to make each Renown valuable to each werewolf by making a given Gift List usually use each Renown once, but it wasn't really rigorous about it and the Renown traits ended up feeling like things that made werewolves weaker rather than stronger - you'd see a cool Gift but, oh no, it requires some Renown trait you've never even touched, RIP that idea. I'm playing a werewolf right now and, for most of the Gifts I've gotten, we've generally made them just work automatically instead of involving Renown rolls while Renown itself is a social stat roughly equivalent to Status: Lunes, Rahu, and Blood Talons (or equivalent). What you describe sounds like a way to keep all upsides of each Renown being relevant to each broad power set while eliminating the downsides, so good show. Two notes:

1. It sounds like there's some space for time/order-controlled XP efficiency issues with Shadow gifts in particular? Like if you buy up a Renown but already know all the powers for that Renown in the Gifts you've unlocked thus far, or if you buy a Gift power "manually" rather than getting it for free through Renown, or whatever. Y'all are watching out for that, right? Right? Right?

2. I... kind of liked the goofy, questionably-useful "azlu HATE her! one weird tip from a spirit mom" Gifts. They made sense, you know? If you do a favor for a plastic elemental or a comic book that flaps around like a bat or something, and it bestows your power upon you, then you would get this mighty werewolf warrior looking down at her claws puzzled and going "Er... thanks... I guess..?" in First Tongue as she revels in her newfound power to access Wi-Fi telepathically.

Now, obviously, a new Gift should leave you feeling excited rather than mildly chagrined, and a werewolf's own Essence will ensure that any other spirit's borrowed power is interpreted through the lens of savagery and The Hunt, so "real" werewolf powers should actually be feral and badass no matter what spirit they're being drawn from. Buuut, I hope you provide some means for werewolves to sling "cantrip" Gifts around that are more flavorful than useful, maybe as freebies for buying into a particular Gift at all, or as Cost: - side powers to the Cost: 1 Essence main powers you actually put XP down for, or a Merit, or something. It's just cute, okay.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

1. It sounds like there's some space for time/order-controlled XP efficiency issues with Shadow gifts in particular? Like if you buy up a Renown but already know all the powers for that Renown in the Gifts you've unlocked thus far, or if you buy a Gift power "manually" rather than getting it for free through Renown, or whatever. Y'all are watching out for that, right? Right? Right?

We're trying to keep an eye on that, but it's going to take a lot of playtesting and analysis to figure out the sweet spot.

Current way of thinking: You start off with two Shadow Gifts from Auspice and tribe, plus both Wolf Gifts, so you can take free Renown Gifts up to your fifth dot, it just means thinking about what you're going for. And if you fancy a facet that keys off a different Renown? If you like that facet in other Gifts, buy up the Renown. If you just want the one power, buy it with XP.

quote:

2. I... kind of liked the goofy, questionably-useful "azlu HATE her! one weird tip from a spirit mom" Gifts. They made sense, you know? If you do a favor for a plastic elemental or a comic book that flaps around like a bat or something, and it bestows your power upon you, then you would get this mighty werewolf warrior looking down at her claws puzzled and going "Er... thanks... I guess..?" in First Tongue as she revels in her newfound power to access Wi-Fi telepathically.

I think there's space for powers like that, even at the power of a full Gift. But how we implement them... that's going to take time. The main Idigam Chronicle focuses on the Gifts present in the Forsaken core; they get the purest "these help you werewolf" because they're all tied to tribe and Auspice. Down the line we'll be looking closer at Gifts that don't have a tie to Auspice or tribe, especially ones with weird powers or those that aren't obvious in how they help the Hunt.

My first published White Wolf work was the Gifts and Rites chapter of Lore of the Forsaken. I've learned a hell of a lot since then, but some of the ideas I've got for future Gifts feel almost like I've come full circle.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DigitalRaven posted:

You start off with two Shadow Gifts from Auspice and tribe, plus both Wolf Gifts,
Is that two from auspice and two from tribe, or two picks from the combination of auspice/tribe lists?

Also, I've never used werewolf for anything except material for other games that might be affected by spirits, but this is at least making me interested enough to give it a third look.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

GimpInBlack posted:

I ran that exact game last year in The Game Room, using Monster of the Week. Only made it through one and a half cases before a combination of crunch time at my old job and being recruited for another job on the other side of the continent killed it, but it was indeed a ton of fun.

I also ran a similar game using nWoD Core several years ago, before Hunter was a thing. The bit in the Hunter corebook about secret Hunter message boards hidden behind the cover of Iowa Cat Fancier Magazine came from a PC in that game.

poo poo, if you run another, let me know. I've been dying to play a Vigil game. Really hoping it gets the nnWoD treatment next, though it really didn't need that much work to fix it if you were running a low tech Union game.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

Is that two from auspice and two from tribe, or two picks from the combination of auspice/tribe lists?

Two picks out of the combination; characters still start with 3 in total.

Tonight's blog entry will go into a fair bit more detail beyond what I've already shared here.

Idrin
Jun 11, 2007

Has anyone successfully run an Awakening game involving Banishers as antagonists? I'm planning on running one and I've been coming up with plot ideas and interesting spells for them. Any advice?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ferrinus posted:

It looks like you're continuing to exist as a discrete and comprehensible Pattern. Do you need any help?

\

Free Council.txt

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

DigitalRaven posted:

We're trying to keep an eye on that, but it's going to take a lot of playtesting and analysis to figure out the sweet spot.

Current way of thinking: You start off with two Shadow Gifts from Auspice and tribe, plus both Wolf Gifts, so you can take free Renown Gifts up to your fifth dot, it just means thinking about what you're going for. And if you fancy a facet that keys off a different Renown? If you like that facet in other Gifts, buy up the Renown. If you just want the one power, buy it with XP.

It's about time-sensitivity; it shouldn't be possible to be a few months into a game, buy something, and then be like "gently caress if I'd started with a different setup/bought these in a different order I could have the same powers but for less total XP".

The workaround my group is using right now is that raising your Renown just gives you an XP credit towards Gifts, straight out, but of course that's hacky and math-heavy compared to a system that just smoothly did all the number-crunching behind the scenes for you.

quote:

I think there's space for powers like that, even at the power of a full Gift. But how we implement them... that's going to take time. The main Idigam Chronicle focuses on the Gifts present in the Forsaken core; they get the purest "these help you werewolf" because they're all tied to tribe and Auspice. Down the line we'll be looking closer at Gifts that don't have a tie to Auspice or tribe, especially ones with weird powers or those that aren't obvious in how they help the Hunt.

My first published White Wolf work was the Gifts and Rites chapter of Lore of the Forsaken. I've learned a hell of a lot since then, but some of the ideas I've got for future Gifts feel almost like I've come full circle.

Yeah, that's totally understandable. I could see werewolf "cantrips" turning up in a supplement or some sort of free online errata or something - they're not actually important compared to having a good list of core powers. Mind you, this is stuff that can be compressed dramatically through the invocation of other rules - for instance, maybe a werewolf who has at least 3 of a Gift of ____'s powers can spend 1 essence to perform one-dot Influences of that Gift, the same way junior spirits can.

Also, a lot of this can probably live in the rite system, which I assume is going to be expanded to some extent.

Speaking of junior spirits - God Machine specifies that a werewolf is automatically the Bane of any spirit the werewolf outranks by more than one step, but are you making it easier for werewolves to see and bite incorporeal spirits in general? That's always been a huge hole in WtF as-written; unless you're an Ithaeur or unless you're benefiting from a costly and temporary three-dot Rite, you straight up can't see a spirit even if it's hanging out right in front of your face making faces at you. Well, you could Wits + Occult over and over and hope for an exceptional success in order to get one turn's glimpse, but come on.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 18, 2014

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013

Fuzz posted:

poo poo, if you run another, let me know. I've been dying to play a Vigil game. Really hoping it gets the nnWoD treatment next, though it really didn't need that much work to fix it if you were running a low tech Union game.

Mortal Remains is the next HtV supplement about to come out. It's appendix is a GMC rules update for Hunter, so it looks like you'll get exactly what you wanted! The rest of the book is about how Hunters fight all the splats that didn't get their own Hunter supplement. So brand new tactics, compacts, and conspiracies for Prometheans, Changelings, and Sin-eaters as well as for the two latest splats, Mummies and God-Machine Demons.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
so turns out I'm now in a Cabal of Lucha-Mages for a Mage in Space Larp. We're trying to decide theme music before the game oda

This is going to be the best game ever after the GM's let us climb snowflake mountain. Base Camp being that we all studied Law at Lucha University, Home of the Fighting Lucha's. We're now attached to the Space UN as International Law experts.

This is supposed to be a very low powered Sci-Fi horror game as well...I don't know anymore.

Solus fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 18, 2014

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

If I tried to run a space opera without a little bit of silliness, I would be failing at my job.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Solus posted:

Mage
very low powered

I believe someone made some kind of mistake here.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Gilok posted:

I believe someone made some kind of mistake here.

We're starting low powered (well, yknow. Low powered for Mages) We'll see how long that lasts.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Mendrian posted:

Stuff to make Geist playable

This is basically how I ran it for a nWod game that was part of a series.

Of course, in this particular series, the series began as Exalted. The PCs were Abyssals who found a way to give the Neverborn what they wanted - I treated the Neverborn as basically ghosts, whose Anchor was Creation.

They 'destroyed' their Anchor by enacting a massive ritual on the peak of Mount Meru (the physical and spiritual center of the world) that shattered Creation into the World of Darkness. Then a bunch of Mages wound up unsealing the Exaltations in the second campaign in the series. The third one, the Geist one, dealt with the handful of Exalts whose Exaltations hadn't been sealed - the 'Death Gods' they dealt with were the Abyssals from the first campaign. Their high Essence meant they couldn't enter the living world any more, so they were pursuing their own (often opposing) agendas by basically granting Abyssal Exaltations (or 'Geists') to select mortals as they died.

It fit pretty neatly; most Abyssals are recruited by being offered a second chance at life, after dying (or nearly dying) in circumstances that would let them rise as a ghost, and Sin-Eaters are already absurdly powerful. The Keys and Manifestations were simply the new laws of the universe under which they could access their powers, since part of breaking Creation involved rewriting the cosmic laws of the universe.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Baby Broomer posted:

Mortal Remains is the next HtV supplement about to come out. It's appendix is a GMC rules update for Hunter, so it looks like you'll get exactly what you wanted! The rest of the book is about how Hunters fight all the splats that didn't get their own Hunter supplement. So brand new tactics, compacts, and conspiracies for Prometheans, Changelings, and Sin-eaters as well as for the two latest splats, Mummies and God-Machine Demons.

Fire. The answer is always fire or a twelve gauge shotgun when fire doesn't work.

That will be the entirety of the chapter on how to fight the things that go bump.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm interested as to how a Hunter could potentially fight a Demon in nWoD. I'm wondering how a plucky vigilante could flush out something that, on a good day, is perfectly disguised as just another human and can shift reality to the point that fate will try its hardest to murder you.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Loomer posted:

Fire. The answer is always fire or a twelve gauge shotgun when fire doesn't work.

That will be the entirety of the chapter on how to fight the things that go bump.

Look at this silly mofo don't know about Dragonsbreath shells.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Error 404 posted:

Look at this silly mofo don't know about Dragonsbreath shells.

Eh, maybe he just wants to be able to fire his gun again.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Pope Guilty posted:

Eh, maybe he just wants to be able to fire his gun again.

Real hunters carry spares. :clint:
*opens trenchcoat to reveal a dozen shotguns*

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm interested as to how a Hunter could potentially fight a Demon in nWoD. I'm wondering how a plucky vigilante could flush out something that, on a good day, is perfectly disguised as just another human and can shift reality to the point that fate will try its hardest to murder you.

Ha ha suckers.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

SunAndSpring posted:

Be Network Zero? If you can figure out someone is a demon, tell absolutely everyone you possible can until their cover unravels and an angel does your dirty work for you.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

That could conceivably work, but more with hunters as antagonists in a Demon game than as protagonists in their own - one of the things about WoD is that everyone has, at best, partial information about the hidden wars of the setting, even within their particular sphere. Hunters wouldn't know poo poo about angels and probably wouldn't even recognize the difference between them and demons. You could have an angel enlist mortal hunter help, I guess.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Basic Chunnel posted:

That could conceivably work, but more with hunters as antagonists in a Demon game than as protagonists in their own - one of the things about WoD is that everyone has, at best, partial information about the hidden wars of the setting, even within their particular sphere. Hunters wouldn't know poo poo about angels and probably wouldn't even recognize the difference between them and demons. You could have an angel enlist mortal hunter help, I guess.

That might be a good plot point, a mysterious benefactor supplies your compact to go after a demon, or a group of demons.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I believe the splat-group they intend to go after Demons are actually more or less bikers on a mission from the God Machine, if I remember correctly.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I suppose if you pressure a Demon enough, you can force him to burn his Cover and Go Loud. If you can manage to survive the wrath of a nearly fully healed Demon that has all the Embeds it could ever want, a squadron of Angels will show up to deal with it. Not an ideal solution, though. Better to just investigate, find out that poo poo in the "person's" life doesn't add up, and unravel their Cover that way.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I missed the part where Hunters are even supposed to logically stand half a chance against half of the poo poo they fight. I thought that was half of the fun.

Granted, the last Hunter game I was in ended when an RV full of gasoline blew up a mine, the horrible oil-sludge-metal monster within, and most of the cell itself..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

It's about time-sensitivity; it shouldn't be possible to be a few months into a game, buy something, and then be like "gently caress if I'd started with a different setup/bought these in a different order I could have the same powers but for less total XP".

quote:

We're going with a lot more transparency, and bringing Renown as a way to get Gifts to the fore. The idea is much more that you can buy Gifts with Experiences, but as a backup for when you don't have a pick from Renown coming up. Whether that works or not, we'll have to see.

[quote]Yeah, that's totally understandable. I could see werewolf "cantrips" turning up in a supplement or some sort of free online errata or something - they're not actually important compared to having a good list of core powers. Mind you, this is stuff that can be compressed dramatically through the invocation of other rules - for instance, maybe a werewolf who has at least 3 of a Gift of ____'s powers can spend 1 essence to perform one-dot Influences of that Gift, the same way junior spirits can.

I think you might like the new Gift of Elements...

[quote]Speaking of junior spirits - God Machine specifies that a werewolf is automatically the Bane of any spirit the werewolf outranks by more than one step, but are you making it easier for werewolves to see and bite incorporeal spirits in general? That's always been a huge hole in WtF as-written; unless you're an Ithaeur or unless you're benefiting from a costly and temporary three-dot Rite, you straight up can't see a spirit even if it's hanging out right in front of your face making faces at you. Well, you could Wits + Occult over and over and hope for an exceptional success in order to get one turn's glimpse, but come on.

I'm not in a position to give a good answer; once I've redlined I'll know exactly what we've got and if it's broad enough.

Also? Fuller post is up, linking to some first draft Gifts: http://theonyxpath.com/gifts/

• Locked thread