Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
No Mana Confluence? With how important it is to have G early, but BB later on, I would have figured that the deck can handle a little pain there. Maybe not the full 4 copies, but I probably would run some at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jabor posted:

No Mana Confluence? With how important it is to have G early, but BB later on, I would have figured that the deck can handle a little pain there. Maybe not the full 4 copies, but I probably would run some at least.

Possibly, but I'm expecting them to be prohibitively expensive.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

No Nemesis? He is definitely one of the more abusive guys to be running in the current dredge builds, since you can usually cast him early for cheap, and late game he is coming down super fat.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Deck: American Midrange

//Lands
4 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
1 Mountain
4 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Steam Vents
4 Temple of Enlightenment
3 Temple of Triumph

//Spells
2 Assemble the Legion
3 Chained to the Rocks
4 Detention Sphere
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Jace, Architect of Thought
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Warleader's Helix

//Creatures
4 Boros Reckoner
3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
3 Ephara, God of the Polis
1 Heliod, God of the Sun
2 Archangel of Thune
2 Precinct Captain
4 Soldier of the Pantheon

Display deck statistics

So this is the deck I have (finally) come up with for my FNM(after I get the new shocks), this is based on first thinking of w/r devotion shell and it being just a bit too brittle after playtesting and I kept running out of cards in the longer matchups against G/R monsters and control. With splashing blue I can use ephara with brimaz, elspeth,precinct captain and assemble the legion to provide card advantage and it gives me access to jace and detention sphere plus gainsays and such in the sideboard for control matchups. What do you guys think?

Samael fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 17, 2014

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Mikujin posted:

No Nemesis? He is definitely one of the more abusive guys to be running in the current dredge builds, since you can usually cast him early for cheap, and late game he is coming down super fat.

I'm running him in my current build but I think this one wants to focus on making evasive guys big (Troll, Herald) rather than the Nemesis. In testing I may find I want him back, however.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

C-Euro posted:

Someone was talking about Ashiok doing a surprising amount of work for them in BUG Superfriends, so maybe hang on to it for now? If you stick with Ashiok I might switch the Nightveils out for Witchstalkers in the SB, since Ashiok already gives you a little of that exile-and-steal flavor.

As for me, I'm getting a rare chance to hit up FNM this week and looking at the following 'Goats list-

Deck: MURDERGOATS

//Lands
4 Blood Crypt
10 Mountain
2 Mutavault
5 Swamp
2 Temple of Malice

//Spells
3 Bile Blight
3 Doom Blade
3 Dreadbore
3 Mizzium Mortars
4 Molten Birth
2 Rakdos Keyrune
2 Ratchet Bomb
3 Trading Post

//Creatures
3 Akroan Horse
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Tymaret, the Murder King
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
2 Dark Betrayal
2 Pithing Needle
2 Thoughtseize
3 Rakdos Charm
2 Rakdos's Return
1 Ultimate Price
3 Slaughter Games

Display deck statistics

Any advice, or last-minute commons/uncommons to add? My constant debate is whether or not to run a fourth Purphoros, I go back and forth on it all the time and want to hear other people's thoughts.

I am still running 3 Purphoros (Purphori?) and 1 Diabolic Tutor. In rare cases I've used the Tutor for Purphoros, but it is a trigger for Young Pyromancer and can fetch something that can be potentially game changing. Also, have to echo the other guys in saying the Keyrunes aren't really going to make a big difference, and having 4 Tymaret probably isn't necessary. Drop those 2 and a Tymaret for a Rakdos' Return and 2 Thoughtseize IMO. Rakdos' Return surprisingly won me 3 games on Monday which lead me to a 6-0 record for first place at ARG's Standard night by clearing opponent's hands of the removal/counters/creatures they needed to stop me. I had never seen it work quite that well in the past (or seen it as frequently as this past Monday), but it worked perfectly.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Balon posted:

Well Dredge is looking like it's getting some tools. This is an updated list I'm planning on testing soon:

//29 Creatures
4 Elvish Mystic

3 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Satyr Wayfinder
4 Lotleth Troll

3 Boon Satyr
4 Nighthowler
3 Herald of Torment
3 Nyx Weaver
1 Pharika

//11 Spells
4 Commune with the Gods
4 Grisly Salvage
3 Strength of the Fallen

//20 Lands
6 Forest
6 Swamp
4 Overgrown Cemetery
4 Temple of Malady

I'm not certain if the deck can handle an additional 3 non-creatures in the Strength of the Fallens. The auto self-milling will help a tonne from the new Nyx Weaver, and may mean that Wayfinder or other tutors can be cut.

If the Strength of the Fallen route doesn't work out then 4 Boon Satyr, 1 Pharika, 3 Strength all get cut and Jarad can go back in, with full 4-counts of a few of the more important creatures replacing them.

I'd definitely go for a couple of Deathrite Shamans, otherwise you're just doing nothing with the extra lands that you end up pitching.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Question for you folks, better replacement for Grove of the Burnwillows (I don't feel like spending 120 bucks on them) for my Modern G/R Tron Deck? Karplusan Forest or Stomping Ground?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Question for you folks, better replacement for Grove of the Burnwillows (I don't feel like spending 120 bucks on them) for my Modern G/R Tron Deck? Karplusan Forest or Stomping Ground?

I'd go with Karplusan Forest. The Forest/Mountain types are not relevant for Tron and you don't need colored mana every turn. That said, don't build Tron unless you are already heavily invested in Karns, Wurmcoils, and Emrakuls. It's just not very good right now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ScarletBrother posted:

I'd go with Karplusan Forest. The Forest/Mountain types are not relevant for Tron and you don't need colored mana every turn. That said, don't build Tron unless you are already heavily invested in Karns, Wurmcoils, and Emrakuls. It's just not very good right now.

I know it's not a T1 deck right now but it's fun as hell to play and i can't see Karn's or Wurmcoil's having their values crater so I could pretty much flip them and get my value back if I wanted to... I was leaving torwards Karplusan Forest as well.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 17, 2014

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

mcmagic posted:

I know it's not a T1 deck right now but it's fun as hell to play and i can't see Karn's or Wurmcoil's having their values crater so I could pretty much flip them and get my value back if I wanted to... I was leaving torwards Karplusan Forest as well.

For sure Emrakul and Wurmcoil will retain value. I don't know of any other deck that plays Karn though. I guess being a small set mythic and price memory are keeping him where he's at. Let us know how the Forests work out for you!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ScarletBrother posted:

For sure Emrakul and Wurmcoil will retain value. I don't know of any other deck that plays Karn though. I guess being a small set mythic and price memory are keeping him where he's at. Let us know how the Forests work out for you!

Thanks, will do. Actually I won an Ebay auction of 4 Wurncoils a few weeks ago for 61 bucks which is what convinced me to build tron lol.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Today's spoilers have convinced me that Naya Monsters could be a thing.

Creatures
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Courser of Kruphix
2 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Polukranos
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Not-Creatures
3 Domri Rade
2 Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
2 Xenagos, the Reveler
4 Warleader's Helix
2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Banishing Light

4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple Garden
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Abandon
4 Temple of Plenty
1 Temple of Triumph
2 Forest

BOARD - still working on it, but obvious choices are mistcutters, Assemble the Legion, Deicide, and Boros Charm.

3 big questions with the list:
1) Is the threat density there? From the basic Gruul Monsters list, this is lighter on Rampagers and Xenagod, making closing possibly difficult. I've thought about a couple copies of Aurelia, but I'm worried about stretching the manabase too far. I've literally never put together a 3 color deck.
2) Thoughts on the removal suite? The 2 Banishing Lights are a nod to the worry that I don't draw a mountain to chain something to the rocks, and Warleaders Helix over Mizzium Mortars is a reflection of a fear the deck is too slow to reasonably deal with burn. The Helix is also easier to cast than an overloaded Mortars, which I'm not sure I could count on with the manabase.
3) Obviously the mana concerns me, and I'd like to hear what people think of it.

Bottom line, I just don't understand how Naya midrange/monsters isn't the obvious home for Ajani. I think Jund is better than GW monsters just because it has removal. Ajani lets you hunt down that removal in the form of white's enchantments. His first ability also helps shore up the deck's other big weakness, which was the lovely feeling of drawing a Mystic in the mid to late game. I'd run more than two, but I'm worried the deck is a little heavy on late drops, even with the acceleration.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Thanks, will do. Actually I won an Ebay auction of 4 Wurncoils a few weeks ago for 61 bucks which is what convinced me to build tron lol.

As a bonus playing Tron, Pod and Jund are almost free wins for you. Not sure about other matchups, but Twin is bad I know.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

ScarletBrother posted:

As a bonus playing Tron, Pod and Jund are almost free wins for you. Not sure about other matchups, but Twin is bad I know.

Melira Pod is the free win. Kiki Pod requires tight play, but is favorable. GB is kinda hard but favorable, Jund and UWr are more favorable but not free. The mono black discard deck is also a free win. Non-nut Affinity and Merfolk draws are easy as well.

If you're surrounded by Splinter Twin, Storm, and Burn decks (i.e. combo), consider other options.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

To be honest, I have no idea what the local Modern Metagame looks like so we'll see haha.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Boxman posted:

Creatures
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Courser of Kruphix
2 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Polukranos
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Not-Creatures
3 Domri Rade
2 Xenagos, the Reveler
4 Warleader's Helix
2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Banishing Light

4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple Garden
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Abandon
4 Temple of Plenty
1 Temple of Triumph
2 Forest

BOARD - still working on it, but obvious choices are mistcutters, Assemble the Legion, Deicide, and Boros Charm.

1) Is the threat density there? From the basic Gruul Monsters list, this is lighter on Rampagers and Xenagod, making closing possibly difficult. I've thought about a couple copies of Aurelia, but I'm worried about stretching the manabase too far. I've literally never put together a 3 color deck.
2) Thoughts on the removal suite? The 2 Banishing Lights are a nod to the worry that I don't draw a mountain to chain something to the rocks, and Warleaders Helix over Mizzium Mortars is a reflection of a fear the deck is too slow to reasonably deal with burn. The Helix is also easier to cast than an overloaded Mortars, which I'm not sure I could count on with the manabase.
3) Obviously the mana concerns me, and I'd like to hear what people think of it.

Bottom line, I just don't understand how Naya midrange/monsters isn't the obvious home for Ajani. I think Jund is better than GW monsters just because it has removal. Ajani lets you hunt down that removal in the form of white's enchantments. His first ability also helps shore up the deck's other big weakness, which was the lovely feeling of drawing a Mystic in the mid to late game. I'd run more than two, but I'm worried the deck is a little heavy on late drops, even with the acceleration.

You need more creatures in the deck for Domri to really shine. I'd say 25+ creatures is where you want to be with him. Aggro is going to be your biggest issue, especially with all the pay 2 life and scry lands. Mizzium instead of Warleader's might help some with that. I actually like Banishing Light more than Chained to the Rocks because it deals with Planeswalkers, which is part of why Jund Monsters with Dreadbore is so good. I'd probably mainboard a combination of Mizzium and Banishing Light in this deck.

Xenagod has a much larger immediate board presence than Ajani, so I'm not sure if you are gaining much there.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Balon posted:

Well Dredge is looking like it's getting some tools. This is an updated list I'm planning on testing soon:

//29 Creatures
4 Elvish Mystic

3 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Satyr Wayfinder
4 Lotleth Troll

3 Boon Satyr
4 Nighthowler
3 Herald of Torment
3 Nyx Weaver
1 Pharika

//11 Spells
4 Commune with the Gods
4 Grisly Salvage
3 Strength of the Fallen

//20 Lands
6 Forest
6 Swamp
4 Overgrown Cemetery
4 Temple of Malady

I'm not certain if the deck can handle an additional 3 non-creatures in the Strength of the Fallens. The auto self-milling will help a tonne from the new Nyx Weaver, and may mean that Wayfinder or other tutors can be cut.

If the Strength of the Fallen route doesn't work out then 4 Boon Satyr, 1 Pharika, 3 Strength all get cut and Jarad can go back in, with full 4-counts of a few of the more important creatures replacing them.

I have also been thinking about a deck list like this - heavy on creatures but with ways to reuse those - scavenge, Whip, Jarad, etc. Don't forget, whip of erebos is an enchantment as well and thus will trigger Strength when it hits the board.
Being as creature - heavy as it is, I'd definitely be running nemesis, as has already been mentioned, he is practically begging to be abused in this type of deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I got bored at work a few days ago and started brainstorming a Karametra EDH deck. A few magiccards.info searches later I arrived at this draft of such a deck-
Deck: Karametra, God of Harvests

Display deck statistics

The idea is to drop a ton of lands into play and then take advantage of that fact, either via landfall triggers, cards that care about having lands in play, or high CMC cards. I'm not sure if I have enough lands for consistent landfall triggers, or enough creatures to constantly trigger Karametra, but what do you think?

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

Boxman posted:

Creatures
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Courser of Kruphix
2 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Polukranos
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Not-Creatures
3 Domri Rade
2 Xenagos, the Reveler
4 Warleader's Helix
2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Banishing Light

4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple Garden
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Abandon
4 Temple of Plenty
1 Temple of Triumph
2 Forest

I've been kinda theory-crafting a Naya monsters deck after seeing spoilers. Don't have a firm build yet now that the full spoilers are out but I was thinking more along the line of leveraging New-Ajani and G/W's really efficient creatures like Loxodon smiter. Basing off what you've got I'd think something more along the lines of:

Creatures
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
2 Courser of Kruphix
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Polukranos
4 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Loxodon smiter

Not-Creatures
3 Domri Rade
2 Xenagos, the Reveler
4 Flesh/Blood

4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple Garden
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Abandon
4 Temple of Plenty
1 Temple of Triumph
2 Forest

Monsters works best off just "oh hey, now you're just dead to this massive dude" so I'd drop the removal into the sideboard and leaning heavier into the kill-y bits of the mainboard.

I'd personally work in Mana confluence and Xenagod but otherwise that seems like at the least a fair enough foundation to build on.

Edit: I don't personally favor Courser that much but left two in since I at least run them in the sideboard and others value them more. It's a good card but I prefer to just commit hard to the all out offensive nature of the deck.

Typhus733 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 18, 2014

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
JIN Minotaur Theorycraft Time? JIN Minotaur Theorycraft Time
Deck: Bullrush

//Main
4 Kragma Warcaller
2 Mogis, God of Slaughter
2 Erebos, God of the Dead
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Rageblood Shaman
4 Ragemonger
4 Felhide Petrifier
4 Deathbellow Raider
4 Gnarled Scarhide

4 Dreadbore
4 Mizzium Mortars

4 Blood Crypt
4 Temple of Malice
8 Mountain
8 Swamp

//Sideboard
4 Slaughter Games
4 Rakdos Charm
4 Drown in Sorrow
2 Whip of Erebos
1 Underworld Cerberus

Display deck statistics

Goldfishing it shows some potentially hilarious ramp-ups (T2 Deathbellow, T3 Ragemonger, T4 Petrifier & Rageblood, T5 Warcaller :vince:), but I feel like I'm forgetting something important other than maybe shoving 4 Reckoners in there somewhere. I'd replace the Fanatics with them, but then I'd have the extra red devotion to actually make Fanatics worthwhile, and I want to keep the Deathbellows in for curve, and everything else combos with each other. Also not touching Mana Confluences/Mutavaults, too much :20bux: and I don't have any of the latter.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 18, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Archenteron posted:

Display deck statistics

Goldfishing it shows some potentially hilarious ramp-ups (T2 Deathbellow, T3 Ragemonger, T4 Petrifier & Rageblood, T5 Warcaller :vince:), but I feel like I'm forgetting something important other than maybe shoving 4 Reckoners in there somewhere. I'd replace the Fanatics with them, but then I'd have the extra red devotion to actually make Fanatics worthwhile, and I want to keep the Deathbellows in for curve, and everything else combos with each other. Also not touching Mana Confluences/Mutavaults, too much :20bux: and I don't have any of the latter.

I actually just went through a prototype build for Minotaurs last night and came up with the following:

4 Felhide BrawlerGnarled Scarhide
4 Deathbellow Raider
4 Ragemonger
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Rageblood Shaman
2 Minotaur Skullcleaver
2 Oracle of the Bones
3 Kragma Warcaller

4 Thoughtseize
4 Dreadbore
1 Slaughter Games

4 Blood Crypt
4 Temple of Malice
3 Godless Shrine
4 Mutavault
8 Mountain

I'm not sure if Felhide Petrifier will be worth it, and I'm not trying the Fantatic plan. Though, I will likely move towards that, anyway. Being able to Oracle of the Bones into a free Slaughter Games is such a feel-good, but will ultimately be cut due to inconsistency. And I want to fiddle with the hand disruption strategy over straight creature destruction to see how it goes. It will likely become a sideboard option against control decks instead.

I only wish there was an easy way to give everyone First Strike.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Archenteron posted:

Deck: Bullrush

//Main
4 Kragma Warcaller
2 Mogis, God of Slaughter
2 Erebos, God of the Dead
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Rageblood Shaman
4 Ragemonger
4 Felhide Petrifier
4 Deathbellow Raider
4 Gnarled Scarhide

4 Dreadbore
4 Mizzium Mortars

4 Blood Crypt
4 Temple of Malice
8 Mountain
8 Swamp

//Sideboard
4 Slaughter Games
4 Rakdos Charm
4 Drown in Sorrow
2 Whip of Erebos
1 Underworld Cerberus

Display deck statistics

I'm not sure Erebos and Mogis are good cards for this kind of deck. I imagine that you'd want to win as fast as possible not slow the game down. Swap out the two gods for 4 copies of Madcap Skills. I have a buddy that runs this kind of deck and making your heavy hitters unblockable by 1 creature is rough when you are attacking so quickly and early on. You'd be surprised how much damage you do and how quickly if you just add that 1 pump spell.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mcmagic posted:

This is a list I've been working on for a about a week and it's done OK in playtesting. Pretty straight forward list as in you attack alot with weenies and trade aggressively early in the game with any creature deck for a big Servitude later which usually overwhelms them. Fortify+Brave is very powerful too. I have 2x Heliod in here but I'm not sure how good he as Vigilance doesn't seam that relevant for this list. Also the only 2 drop creature I have is Precinct Captian but I could be convinced that Daring Skyjak is better in that spot. Or maybe I should be dropping a few combat tricks for Skyjek's... Still thinking it through. Any thoughts on improvements or additional SB help would be greatly appreciated though:

MonoW Aggro Servitude

20 Land
17x Plains
3x Mutavault

26 Creatures
4x Boros Elite
4x Loyal Pegasus
4x Dryad Militant
4x Soldier of the Pantheon
4x Judge's Familiar
4x Precinct Captain
2x Boros Reckoner

2 Artifact
2x Spear of Heliod

9 Instant
2x Glimpse the Sun God
4x Brave the Elements
3x Fortify

3 Sorcery
3x Immortal Servitude

Sideboard
2x Revoke Existence
2x Ajani, Caller of the Pride
3x Gods Willing
2x Glimpse the Sun God
2x Pithing Needle
1x Spear of Heliod
1x Immortal Servitude

Testing this at FNM tonight with Eldelon of Countless Battles replacing Reckoners as a curvetopper.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

All right, I took the advice for my legal U/R deck a couple of pages back and applied it to this deck for when Journey is released. Magma Spray in my sideboard because I feel like Atheros decks are gonna pop up at my LGS. Probably going to sub out Atherize for Anger of the Gods for the same reason. I might replace Dictate of Kruphix with regular ol' Divination or Inspiration.

Deck: Carrying Keranos

//Lands
8 Island
3 Mana Confluence
6 Mountain
4 Steam Vents
4 Temple of Epiphany

//Spells
2 Dictate of Kruphix
4 Negate
4 Magma Jet
4 Turn // Burn
2 Polymorphous Rush
4 Steam Augury
1 Twinflame
3 Izzet Charm

//Creatures
2 Keranos, God of Storms
4 Spellheart Chimera
4 Young Pyromancer
1 Prognostic Sphinx

//Sideboard
4 Magma Spray
4 Mizzium Mortars
4 Swan Song
3 Ętherize

Display deck statistics

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Invincible Deck.dec

2 x Aetherling
2 x Keranos, God of Storms

4 x Negate
4 x Essence Scatter
4 x Dissolve
4 x Nullify
4 x Syncopate
4 x Counterflux
4 x Izzet Charm
1 x Dispel
2 x Essence Backlash

4 x Mutavault
4 x Steam Vents
4 x Temple of Epihpany
3 x Mana Confluence
10x Island

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 18, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

AlternateNu posted:

Invincible Deck.dec

2 x Aetherling
2 x Keranos, God of Storms

4 x Negate
4 x Essence Scatter
4 x Dissolve
4 x Nullify
4 x Syncopate
4 x Counterflux
4 x Izzet Charm
1 x Dispel
2 x Essence Backlash

4 x Mutavault
4 x Steam Vents
4 x Temple of Epihpany
3 x Mana Confluence
10x Island

The big problem I see is that your plan is to keep everything off the board by countering it; if a big fatty sticks, you're screwed. You need some way to deal with creatures that resolve that you can't burn out with Izzet Charm. I'd recommend things like Mizzium Mortars, Cyclonic Rift, Griptide, and/or Turn/Burn. UR doesn't have the greatest removal suite, so I think bounce spells will work well to control the tempo and make something get re-cast when you have mana up to counter it.

Even things like Claustrophobia (not great but the only example I can come up with off the top of my head) that make their creature useless would help.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The big problem I see is that your plan is to keep everything off the board by countering it; if a big fatty sticks, you're screwed. You need some way to deal with creatures that resolve that you can't burn out with Izzet Charm. I'd recommend things like Mizzium Mortars, Cyclonic Rift, Griptide, and/or Turn/Burn. UR doesn't have the greatest removal suite, so I think bounce spells will work well to control the tempo and make something get re-cast when you have mana up to counter it.

Even things like Claustrophobia (not great but the only example I can come up with off the top of my head) that make their creature useless would help.

Poe's Law and everything. It was a joke deck. (Thus, the title.) If I was going for an actual "counter everything!" deck, it would have 4 x Jace, Architect and 4 x Whelming Wave in it at least.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

AlternateNu posted:

Poe's Law and everything. It was a joke deck. (Thus, the title.) If I was going for an actual "counter everything!" deck, it would have 4 x Jace, Architect and 4 x Whelming Wave in it at least.

I wouldn't be surprised, the things I see people attempting.....

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I wouldn't be surprised, the things I see people attempting.....

Jokes aside I was thinking of trying an izzet control deck using keranos and maybe 2 prognostic sphinx as the wincons, using sphinx's scry3 to set up keranos. Huge counter suite followed by a mix of mizzium mortars, angers, cyclonic rifts, turn/burn, maybe aetherize. Sounds fun in my head anyway.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Jokes aside I was thinking of trying an izzet control deck using keranos and maybe 2 prognostic sphinx as the wincons, using sphinx's scry3 to set up keranos. Huge counter suite followed by a mix of mizzium mortars, angers, cyclonic rifts, turn/burn, maybe aetherize. Sounds fun in my head anyway.
It seems like a lot of people want to make this deck in this thread. LightReaper and I have been working on the skeleton, see our previous posts in the last few pages. I run Spellheart Chimera as the current wincon, because it works well with Steam Augury. I do kinda like running Sphinx over Aetherling in a Keranos build because of what you said and you can drop it turns earlier.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Boco_T posted:

It seems like a lot of people want to make this deck in this thread. LightReaper and I have been working on the skeleton, see our previous posts in the last few pages. I run Spellheart Chimera as the current wincon, because it works well with Steam Augury. I do kinda like running Sphinx over Aetherling in a Keranos build because of what you said and you can drop it turns earlier.

The only problem I have with Sphinx is that it still dies to board wipes and can be chumped. Otherwise, I would completely agree with you guys.

Random Note: Typing up that counter-deck, I wondered. Has anyone actually seen Counterflux get overloaded for value?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

AlternateNu posted:

The only problem I have with Sphinx is that it still dies to board wipes and can be chumped. Otherwise, I would completely agree with you guys.

Random Note: Typing up that counter-deck, I wondered. Has anyone actually seen Counterflux get overloaded for value?
Once or twice last standard in UWR control mirror matches.

Sphinx should definitely go in any Izzet build because of how powerful of a filter it can be. Spellheart Chimera is super cute if you land it with counters up to protect it but its possible you misplay that way more often.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Counterflux mainly exists as an answer to storm decks but its definitely a good sideboard card for uw control decks.

Pronostic sphinx dies to board wipers but keranos doesn't and he's the slow grind wincon. Sphinx is still hard to kill and it lets you maximize the reveals from keranos. Not sure what numbers to run though. Also not sure if the deck should run an elixer. Izzet has had a bunch of good cards but no long term wincon other than an aetherling, I want to do some playtesting go see how viable sphinx/keranos is.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Counterflux mainly exists as an answer to storm decks but its definitely a good sideboard card for uw control decks.

Pronostic sphinx dies to board wipers but keranos doesn't and he's the slow grind wincon. Sphinx is still hard to kill and it lets you maximize the reveals from keranos. Not sure what numbers to run though. Also not sure if the deck should run an elixer. Izzet has had a bunch of good cards but no long term wincon other than an aetherling, I want to do some playtesting go see how viable sphinx/keranos is.

I feel like the Keranos victory is like the elixir wincon; you only want one and you only put it down when it literally doesn't matter because you're already so far ahead, and you just let it do it's thing.

I'd go with 2 Prog Sphinx, 1 Keranos, and when you get both, as you say you get the double benefit of the scry with the keranos trigger.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I'm not really seeing anything in JOU that leads me away from thinking that Young Pyromancer backed up by Spellheart Chimera and Prognostic Sphinx won't be fine for the creature base, probably in a 4-3-2 configuration.

JOU Additions seem to just be 2 Keranos and I'm thinking 4x Spite of Mogis will probably be very good.

As mentioned previously in the thread, depending on match-up you could dedicate 7-8 slots of the sideboard just to aggro if it proves too fast for the deck to handle, where you'd take out the 4 Pyros and 3 Chimeras and bring in 3/4 Frostburn Weird and 3/4 Anger of the Gods.

I am also not completely opposed to the line of trying to get permanents to make 7 devotion to kill with Keranos or even just getting to 5 and running 2 Thassa. I just haven't built the deck is that way yet so I don't know how it would test.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

I dont think it's a good idea to try and turn on keranos, itll just lead to filling the deck with mediocre cards and losing slots for spells. Which is fine if you want to play a mono blue devotion variant but trying to go midrange and still maintain control is difficult without tapping out or stretching both sides thin and inconsistent.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Keranos is there for a grindy win, not swinging. Prognostic and him are gonna work swell together.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AlternateNu posted:

Everyone dies to board wipes other than gods, though. Not to mention that God removal is becoming more and more prevalent and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some white decks mainboarding Deicide (and assuredly its in the sideboard to take out Thassa in MUD). I wouldn't be surprised at all. Prognostic is a very good card in any kind of deck that's trying to manipulate draws, e.g. putting your land as the second card with a Courser of Kruphix out so you can drop land all day without actually having to draw land into your hand.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

Everyone dies to board wipes other than gods, though. Not to mention that God removal is becoming more and more prevalent and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some white decks mainboarding Deicide (and assuredly its in the sideboard to take out Thassa in MUD). I wouldn't be surprised at all. Prognostic is a very good card in any kind of deck that's trying to manipulate draws, e.g. putting your land as the second card with a Courser of Kruphix out so you can drop land all day without actually having to draw land into your hand.

I agree about Deicide seeing some play, but regarding Sphinx, it is the "being chumped" part which is what makes me hesitant to play him. He gets eaten by Desecration Demon and most anything Herald of Torment gets bestowed onto. And bumps heads against Stormbreath, which can eventually be monstrous'd.

• Locked thread