Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ProfessorProf posted:

Dungeon World. Dungeon World is hands down the top of the list for that use case.

Yes. No. Maybe? *World is not the be all end all system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

Fiasco is also good because it gets a group comfortable with the actual role-playing bit, mostly because it is a game of loving up royally and figuring out what happens next.

The best way I've found to break people into RPGs, especially if they think that RPGs = D&D, is to play Fiasco first (use a playset that everyone is familiar with to make sure everyone has ideas) then run Dungeon World for them. Fiasco is a great introduction to storygaming/improv, and DW is what most people think D&D is like, so you can comfortably accommodate every cliché they have about how things work.

If they have absolutely zero interest in fantasy, they hopefully don't have any preconceptions and you could also use AW or Monsterhearts depending on what their particular preferences are.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Yes. No. Maybe? *World is not the be all end all system.

Of course not, but it is a very good introductory system. And you have to admit it works well for science fiction roleplaying.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Speaking of anime, I'm thinking of running a PbP game inspired by the greatest anime Captain Harlock, and I can't decide between FAE and Inverse World. On the one hand, FAE can do everything with enough effort but I've never run anything in Fate. Inverse World is Dungeon World so something I'm more familiar with but there is a bit of investment required.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tollymain posted:

Get started :munch:

Basically, this is what I want:

A sci-fi game designed around sandbox/hexcrawl play with an element of "domain management". The characters are the main crew of a ship (or head ship of a fleet) that for whatever reason has no home planet. Maybe the origin planet has been destroyed by an alien threat and now humanity is forced to explore the outer galaxy before we're ready, maybe the players' ship got Farscape'd to some unknown galaxy, whatever. The game would revolve around a combination of exploration (discovering new planets/races/cultures), resource management (you need fuel to keep the ship running, you need to keep everyone fed, etc.), keeping people happy so they don't revolt (for the managing a fleet thing), and forging your own path in an unknown galaxy (starting a trading fleet, working as mercs, and so on).

Basically a cross between new Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, that "Hulks and Horrors" sci-fi dungeoncrawling OSR game, and FTL.

I actually forgot that I started something on this theme for an old design contest. It was indeed PbtA, and the game would start with the crew of the ship waking up from cryosleep, and discovering three things from the main computers: this region of space doesn't match any known star charts, the ship's almost out of power, and there's an unknown space station nearby. I also had something in place so every character would have a Secret; you're a government agent hunting one of the other characters, you committed some heinous crime back home, you're a synthetic human or were genetically engineered, whatever. These would tie in to the relationship mechanic with would be based on Trust.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

I played in a Gm-less game with basically that exact same concept, except we were all convicts from Earth sent on a prison ship out into space. The regular Apocalypse World playsets worked fine for that game with a few minor change (I think we changed something into a Pilot class?)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Tenra it is. I'll have the OP up shortly.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Do good Japanese cartoons. One Piece FATE or Attack on Titan *World hack. :colbert:

Yes, good cartoons where serious action-drama character goes to Planet Stomach to train with King Kai.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Fiasco is also good because it gets a group comfortable with the actual role-playing bit, mostly because it is a game of loving up royally and figuring out what happens next.

Fiasco all day erry day. I think my group has killed more things in Fiasco than D&D-likes.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Basically, this is what I want:

Sounds like you want an ORE game. You'd get the seamless integration of the ship as a unit with the characters as individuals, and there's plenty of room for the rest of the things like secrets and trust as bolt-ons.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Part of me wants to see a Traveller style ApocEngine game. Then again, Traveller thrives so much on details and random generation tables.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I think I've got a good base to go on.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Part of me wants to see a Traveller style ApocEngine game. Then again, Traveller thrives so much on details and random generation tables.

Somebody around here was working on that, it was...not bad?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

poo poo, people other than me in TG have seen Gasaraki. That's crazy. Next you're going to tell me that there are people here who thought Pacific Rim ripped off elements of Dai Guard other than me as well.

Speaking of which, people should watch Dai Guard.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

grassy gnoll posted:

Sounds like you want an ORE game. You'd get the seamless integration of the ship as a unit with the characters as individuals, and there's plenty of room for the rest of the things like secrets and trust as bolt-ons.
Yeah, Reign companies sounds like a good starter for the ship system.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

What are some good tabletop RPGs for a group of people who have never played a RPG before? There's a group I'm buying some stuff for who have never played or run anything like D&D or Pathfinder, and I'm looking for some decent recommendations. Preferably a sci-fi and fantasy.

Good sir, if you like generic minimalist RPGs with modern ideas and yet d20s, all on one easy to read page, may I present to you my april contest entry: Some One-Page Heartbreaker.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Gau posted:

Somebody around here was working on that, it was...not bad?

That was mll with his SpinWorld Traveller rework.It's very good. Only *World I've enjoyed actually.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

poo poo, people other than me in TG have seen Gasaraki. That's crazy. Next you're going to tell me that there are people here who thought Pacific Rim ripped off elements of Dai Guard other than me as well.

Speaking of which, people should watch Dai Guard.

Gasaraki is my favorite anime that no one has ever seen. I think I'm about due for a rewatch, in fact.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Only *World I've enjoyed actually.

That credit is all to the hack, it was my first time as a GM in at least 10 years,

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
It even overpowered the fact that Fax was in the game with its quality!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It even overpowered the fact that Fax was in the game with its quality!

He took a good playbook and made it sing. You just couldn't play that song on the radio.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
http://www.twitch.tv/madcapmachinations

Our stream poo poo itself ( my router :saddowns: )

So we switched broadcasters for you guys.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

mllaneza posted:

He took a good playbook and made it sing. You just couldn't play that song on the radio.

Given I am playing a somewhat out of place Vargr Corsair in FAE game right now, I am suddenly very interested in this. Is there a link to the game somewhere?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 19, 2014

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Given I am playing a somewhat out of place Vargr Corsair in FAE game right now, I am suddenly very interested in this. Is there a link to the game somewhere?

I'm keeping it under wraps while I sort out an actual Traveller license. Since you're playing a similar concept in another system, any feedback on the playbook ?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

quote:

A diverse and stylish wardrobe suitable for any occasion. You see colors differently from humans, ignore their comments and complaints about your color-matching preferences.

I feel like I'm already in tune with this, given my guy prefers to wear an ancient Solomani garment called an "Aloha Shirt". The more garish to human taste, the better, this is the pride of his collection. Its the one thing he's found that gives some truth to the constant boasting of Solomani culture being superior. :haw:

I don't have any actual ApocEngine experience (though I am becoming increasingly intersted in it as I see all these awesome hacks/conversions), but I like what I see. It seems like it'd be a good fit for my FAE character, who is basically "dimwitted thrillseeker of a Vargr who has that whip thing from Bulletstorm", right down the need to be the coolest motherfucker in the room.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 19, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

Yeah, Reign companies sounds like a good starter for the ship system.

I would love love love a full-on ORE sci-fi game with heavy Reign influence. There's Out Of the Violent Planet but it's not quiiiiite the same thing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kai Tave posted:

I would love love love a full-on ORE sci-fi game with heavy Reign influence. There's Out Of the Violent Planet but it's not quiiiiite the same thing.

You know, I should probably read Reign at some point, it just sounds interesting, but sadly I do not think I own a copy.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Man, don't tempt me. I'd love to give ORE another go...

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Who wants to see a Robot Detective, a Hells Angel, a disgraced sports star, and an Glam Rocker from another planet try to figure out what to do with the Voyager I golden record?

You can tune in on Twitch right now.

http://www.twitch.tv/spirit_of_77

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
So I just finished the Walking Dead games, and it got me thinking that if I were to run an RPG in that universe, the best system to use would totally be Fiasco.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
This should probably go in the ideas thread but after binging on Babylon 5 not too long after Reign came out and watching the episode that showed humanity's development over successive generations until they were basically mysterious transcendent aliens in robo-suits like the Vorlons, I had the crazy idea of "what if you mashed up an RPG and a 4x game?"

Since Reign was heavily on my mind at the time, that was my first thought for a system. The general idea was that there were multiple "sufficiently advanced" races in the universe (ala Vorlons, Shadows, and those other dudes who showed up for like two episodes) who were all basically competing for client races, trying to nudge them to develop along philosophically and technologically desirable paths, but by common agreement they couldn't just go down to some underdeveloped world and give them matter/energy devices because that tended to result in runaway apocalyptic singularity events which nobody really wanted.

So the players were basically agents of these godlike but not always clearly comprehensible entities who tasked them with manipulating stuff behind the scenes with a more "human" touch while also having to deal with competing agents working in opposition to them. Kind of a far-future sci-fi Cold War going on, where "going loud" might mean breaking out an implanted hard-light generator to create a set of instant power armor in order to deal with the nanofabricated hunter-killer drones someone just set on your trail.

Like almost all "great ideas for a game" it mainly just existed as a set of scattered notes that never really went anywhere. The one thing I remember that I'd worked on the most was adapting Unknown Armies' madness meters as a planetary development index to chart how a world's technological development was progressing. It was divided along five axes, Biotech, Cybernetics, Memetics, Engineering, and Infotech (computers basically), and like Unknown Armies you had the equivalent of "hardened" and "failed" notches in each.

Every time the PCs successfully nudged a world in a particular direction you would make a "madness" roll of sorts, and the idea was that getting a "hardened notch" on one of the scales moved that civilization one step further along that developmental path and allowed you to choose a tech development that added a bonus to that civilization's Company rolls. So moving them along the Biotech path might give you the option of establishing a supersoldier program OR developing a universal panacea or maybe something else.

If you wound up with a failed notch though, then things go out of control. Genetically engineered plagues, rogue bioweapons, AI uprisings, memetic terrorism, stuff like that. It wasn't the end of the world or anything but it would certainly leave a mark and might make future developments along certain lines a bit trickier unless you went and cleaned up your mess.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kai Tave posted:

This should probably go in the ideas thread but after binging on Babylon 5 not too long after Reign came out and watching the episode that showed humanity's development over successive generations until they were basically mysterious transcendent aliens in robo-suits like the Vorlons, I had the crazy idea of "what if you mashed up an RPG and a 4x game?"

Since Reign was heavily on my mind at the time, that was my first thought for a system. The general idea was that there were multiple "sufficiently advanced" races in the universe (ala Vorlons, Shadows, and those other dudes who showed up for like two episodes) who were all basically competing for client races, trying to nudge them to develop along philosophically and technologically desirable paths, but by common agreement they couldn't just go down to some underdeveloped world and give them matter/energy devices because that tended to result in runaway apocalyptic singularity events which nobody really wanted.

So the players were basically agents of these godlike but not always clearly comprehensible entities who tasked them with manipulating stuff behind the scenes with a more "human" touch while also having to deal with competing agents working in opposition to them. Kind of a far-future sci-fi Cold War going on, where "going loud" might mean breaking out an implanted hard-light generator to create a set of instant power armor in order to deal with the nanofabricated hunter-killer drones someone just set on your trail.

Like almost all "great ideas for a game" it mainly just existed as a set of scattered notes that never really went anywhere. The one thing I remember that I'd worked on the most was adapting Unknown Armies' madness meters as a planetary development index to chart how a world's technological development was progressing. It was divided along five axes, Biotech, Cybernetics, Memetics, Engineering, and Infotech (computers basically), and like Unknown Armies you had the equivalent of "hardened" and "failed" notches in each.

Every time the PCs successfully nudged a world in a particular direction you would make a "madness" roll of sorts, and the idea was that getting a "hardened notch" on one of the scales moved that civilization one step further along that developmental path and allowed you to choose a tech development that added a bonus to that civilization's Company rolls. So moving them along the Biotech path might give you the option of establishing a supersoldier program OR developing a universal panacea or maybe something else.

If you wound up with a failed notch though, then things go out of control. Genetically engineered plagues, rogue bioweapons, AI uprisings, memetic terrorism, stuff like that. It wasn't the end of the world or anything but it would certainly leave a mark and might make future developments along certain lines a bit trickier unless you went and cleaned up your mess.

This is a really cool idea, depending on your stance wrt New World of Darkness, New Demon seems to operate on a similar basis/wouldn't be too hard to reflavor.

Reskinning "loud" demon powers as super high tech should be easy.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I agree up til the point where he recommends using actual WoD mechanics :v:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

I agree up til the point where he recommends using actual WoD mechanics :v:

Not everything can be a shonen anime dude.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Well, yeah. You don't play Mage all the time.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Yawgmoth posted:

I've been running a 3.5e Eberron game for close to two years now. The party started at level 5 and have just recently hit 20th, and it's kind of a weird feeling knowing that it's all coming to a close; I've gotten so used to planning for this game that I can't really imagine not doing it anymore.
It was already suggested once, but you can certainly use the same campaign world for a new group of characters, exploring all the dropped plot points or other overlooked things from the first characters, while the first character group has become important in the world somehow.

Or you can start running the game so infrequently that it never actually ends; that is my current genius game-extension plan.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh no, see, he only buys hardcovers. The game in question is Dungeon World, which is available in both softcover and PDF, but he's apparently not happy that the hardcover was only for KS backers. Because no matter how much he likes the game, he only buys hardcovers. :shrug:
Not that I agree, but if he literally only owns gaming books that are hardcovers then you can at least understand why he would be annoyed that a hardcover technically exists but is not practically available. Not that this makes his situation any more sympathetic, of course.

And as for the "guy who buys a new book 26 times a year" thing, am I the only one who loves the idea of playing a new system every two weeks ... just so long as you always played the same campaign? It would be a hilarious exercise in converting characters. And probably converting concepts! Just imagine taking a generic D&D campaign party, TORG-style, from one conceptualization of reality to another every few weeks! As long as you were not taking the mechanical power level of each character super-seriously it could be a lot of fun.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I know I'm going to regret this, but I'm sure someone in here can help. I was just asked if I knew the name of a game that sounds... interesting.

[name removed]: I'm looking for the name of a tabletop game.
Syrg: Okay, hit me
[name removed]: it's one where the entire goal is to have sex.
[name removed]: and the DM's entire job is to cockblock you.

gently caress if I know what that is.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Pretty sure that's just LARPing. Every day of my life.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Sounds like he wants to roleplay his fetish of being denied sex without leaving the house.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

3e D&D.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I know I'm going to regret this, but I'm sure someone in here can help. I was just asked if I knew the name of a game that sounds... interesting.

Have you considered a PbtA hack?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Sounds like a James Raggi joint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I can't think of a single game with that premise. I've read RPGs where the focus was on in character relations and sometimes sex but I've never read one where the set of GM principles included 'cockblocking'.

Maybe Kagematsu? Although that's not entirely about sex.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 19, 2014

• Locked thread