Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

FancyMike posted:

Fixed to match my experiences. I've gotten a couple good deals in their classifieds a couple times but my post count there is zero.

When I started bass 15 years ago and had little knowledge, it helped me out a lot. The community was REALLY small from 2000-2003. I was even a moderator for a short time, but more and more people just kept coming and it became this huge overinflated THING. I really stopped posting when I actually joined a band and started playing more.

Edit: The "Trophies" thing just seems like a bad idea all around.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

There are some nice highly intelligent guys posting over there and a lot of good info but there's too much poo poo to wade trough. I like all the gear photo threads though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pocket Billiards posted:

I've seen a few guys start on bass with Rocksmith and develop some bad habit with their right hands. No follow through, just anemic little staccato notes for everything (that'll register in the game just fine). If you're practicing unplugged and working to get some sound out of it you're probably going to counteract this.

I think one of the big issues is that the game is really forgiving with timing, and that's a huge part of bass playing in general. You need to have a critical ear if you want to develop a decent playing style, and be aware of how your playing actually sounds, not whether the game is waving you through.

The other side of that coin is the latency issue - it depends on how powerful your computer is (no idea about how consoles perform), but my crapbox can't handle the lowest input latency settings. For lead guitar that's generally not a problem, but for very rhythmic strumming and especially bass the lag becomes really noticeable, and offputting. I've been playing a while so I can tell it's not matching what I'm playing, but if you're starting out you ideally want some responsive feedback, so the timing you hear is your timing, if you get me.

It also doesn't really teach you what you're doing, methodically. It's great for what it is, but at the end of the day it's learning from tabs - fancy, fun tabs that make you sound great and challenge your performance, but you're still not really learning what it is you're doing and why. I always recommend JustinGuitar alongside it, for bass I'd go with StudyBass which looks a bit weird now but whatever. Proper practice drills are a good idea too, even if it's just a 10 minute warmup or something

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
It's just a fundamental thing, you're not going to be using your ears (playing legato, phrasing things right) when it reduces music down to Guitar Hero style colour matching.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Eh I wouldn't go that far, it's a valid form of notation with a lot of expression, and it can be pretty precise about detecting phrasing... moreso with guitar, but hey. It's just that a big part of bass is the feel, and the game will let you get away with a lot if you're just looking to it for validation. It's like the difference between a competent player and a good one, you need the secret sauce

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I actually found StudyBass just before checking the thread for replies. I'll try to avoid picking up the habits mentioned, and I intend on starting with fundamentals as I prefer to know the theory and be able to read music, as opposed to just mimicking what is on a set of tabs. I have a lot of fun on Rocksmith, but so far that hasn't translated to much other than muscle memory and coordination outside of the game. I'm fully aware I'll need another source of instruction/lessons. Being overseas so much makes finding an actual instructor that kind of an issue, though.

I really just want to be able to get into a smooth bass groove.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Talkbass is a goldmine of information if you use the search engine, but yeah, that new layout is the pits. The FAQ says that the old software wasn't being updated and had to be changed, but was that really the best they could do? They did a very bad job of informing people about the incoming change, too.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yeah, ever since they moved to the whole "everyone's bass is a beautiful and unique snowflake" thing where you can't say anything bad about anything... it's been on the decline.

The For Sale section is still great though. But the rest of the forums are just a circle-jerk.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

sup guys check out my bass collection

*posts a pic of 25 identical SX P-basses*

js86
Jul 22, 2012

MancXVI posted:

sup guys check out my bass collection

*posts a pic of 25 identical SX P-basses*

The band management section is the best. Every post on there looks like this:

"Hey guys, I'm in a band with 3 guitards, a drummer who drinks all the time and is a complete trainwreck, and a hot chick singer. Our practices consist of volume wars and arguments and our gigs are pretty much the same thing. Should I stay in this band or should I quit?"

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

js86 posted:

The band management section is the best. Every post on there looks like this:

"Hey guys, I'm in a band with 3 guitards, a drummer who drinks all the time and is a complete trainwreck, and a hot chick singer. Our practices consist of volume wars and arguments and our gigs are pretty much the same thing. Should I stay in this band or should I quit?"

Bassists tend to be the most passive aggressive dudes in a given band

Actuary X posted:

Check out the pedalboard thread.

(not my board)

i need dedicated modulation, delay, and reverb pedals on my bass, stat

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Actuary X posted:

(not my board)

TBH those etchings and graphics are rad as hell though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah honestly that pedalboard rules. I can't hate that.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Don't get me wrong, that poo poo looks slick and those effects are all high quality and way cool etc. but it's totally unnecessary unless he's in a DnB/shoegaze act

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Instruments in general are unnecessary. I mean don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying completely and I generally agree but people have to get inspired somehow. If a dude needs a million expensive reverb pedals and fuzz boxes to make himself want to play then whatever. It's only good for the industry and it doesn't really matter what some guy is doing in his beach house. It can be pretty hilarious though.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Actuary X posted:

(not my board)

I may not ever own that many pedals but I sure do want to play around with them. I only have two pedals an overdrive and a chorus.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Instruments in general are unnecessary. I mean don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying completely and I generally agree but people have to get inspired somehow. If a dude needs a million expensive reverb pedals and fuzz boxes to make himself want to play then whatever. It's only good for the industry and it doesn't really matter what some guy is doing in his beach house. It can be pretty hilarious though.

You have to watch out and not fall into the hole of buying poo poo because its cool. You end up playing with equipment instead of playing music and you keep buying stuff and it accumulates and oh god you play bass but you have like five different delay pedals and it all just builds up into a big pile of poo poo that in real life doesn't help you at all and ways down your soul to this plane of existence.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Would a Skyline 55-01 be an ~upgrade~ over an Ibanez SR505? I know they run the same pickups but think they have a different preamp behind the scenes, also general playability. I realise this is a fairly broad question but I'm keen to pick up a Skyline for my next 'everything' bass. I'm also looking at a 55-02 instead but it seems like the 55-01 would be easier to upgrade if I end up wanting different pups/pre.

The other basses I'm oggling currently are the Korean made Warwick Pro series. Anyone tried any of these?

E: sorry all my posts in this thread are "should I buy this bass" but my nearest decent music store is literally 1500km away.

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 21, 2014

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Does anyone know any good place to learn notes? I've been using http://www.cyberfretbass.com/reading/open-strings/standard/index.php but so far nothing's really sticking.

I want to be able to identify notes by ear, read notesheets and write my own music some day.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

organburner posted:

Does anyone know any good place to learn notes? I've been using http://www.cyberfretbass.com/reading/open-strings/standard/index.php but so far nothing's really sticking.

I want to be able to identify notes by ear, read notesheets and write my own music some day.

Identify notes as in being able to read them, or where they are on the instrument?

The answer to both questions is practice a poo poo ton. The Hal Leonard book in the OP is pretty good as well, I recommend it. I got it already knowing how to read music but it was a good introduction to the Bass and it eases you everything slowly.

As far as reading Bass Clef goes, you're never too old to sit there and say "Good Boys Do Fine Always" and "All Cows Eat Grass" to yourself every time there's a note you don't know. Just keep practicing and don't play a note without knowing what it is. Say the notes out loud as you play them, and go through the exercises slowly and more than you think you have to. Eventually it will just get ingrained into your brain and it'll be second nature. For example, I haven't had to read Treble Clef in six years, but last week I picked up a sheet of music and knew all the notes because it's been beaten into my head that much.

Seriously, it sucks, but once you get it you'll never have to worry about it again. Now if only if I practiced what I preached but I'm just so god drat casual about bass and just want to fool around.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I made a six string bass out of a guitar today :getin:

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
How is that possible? Wouldn't the longer strings/higher tension snap a guitar neck? Or at least bend it way out of shape.

disclaimer: i am a noob/idiot

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Wouldn't you need to pretty much replace everything in the guitar to make it usable? Unless you just slapped some heavy gauge strings on and tuned it to like B standard and set it up. In which case it's still a guitar, it just now sounds like poo poo.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

why oh WHY posted:

Wouldn't you need to pretty much replace everything in the guitar to make it usable? Unless you just slapped some heavy gauge strings on and tuned it to like B standard and set it up. In which case it's still a guitar, it just now sounds like poo poo.

Not really, no.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Renegret posted:

Identify notes as in being able to read them, or where they are on the instrument?

The answer to both questions is practice a poo poo ton. The Hal Leonard book in the OP is pretty good as well, I recommend it. I got it already knowing how to read music but it was a good introduction to the Bass and it eases you everything slowly.

As far as reading Bass Clef goes, you're never too old to sit there and say "Good Boys Do Fine Always" and "All Cows Eat Grass" to yourself every time there's a note you don't know. Just keep practicing and don't play a note without knowing what it is. Say the notes out loud as you play them, and go through the exercises slowly and more than you think you have to. Eventually it will just get ingrained into your brain and it'll be second nature. For example, I haven't had to read Treble Clef in six years, but last week I picked up a sheet of music and knew all the notes because it's been beaten into my head that much.

Seriously, it sucks, but once you get it you'll never have to worry about it again. Now if only if I practiced what I preached but I'm just so god drat casual about bass and just want to fool around.

Thanks, I'll keep at it.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Macavity posted:

How is that possible? Wouldn't the longer strings/higher tension snap a guitar neck? Or at least bend it way out of shape.

disclaimer: i am a noob/idiot

I used an archtop guitar with a removable bridge. Used bronze wound nylon core strings for less tension (and a bronze flatwound .014 gauge string for the high E). Used a David Gage Realist upright bass pickup and put it under the foot of the bridge like I would on my upright. The only part I had to swap was to put bass tuners on for the low E and A strings since I did not have a tool to widen the hole to allow the strings to fit through. I of course also had to widen the nut slots. I originally was going to do a five string with the low b, and had it strung that way initially but then figured since I have six slots I may as well just make it a six string - EADGBE.

Looks kind of wacky since I removed all of the knobs and the two humbuckers...a little Swiss cheesy... but it sounds really great. Very balanced, and a nice thump on the bottom strings like I would get using the pickup on an upright. I was considering removing the frets from the neck and epoxying it to make it fretless as well but I think I prefer this one fretted.

I am out of the house right now and have a busy next few days but I will try to get a recording so you can see and hear it. I can't believe how well it worked out honestly.

rio fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 23, 2014

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

rio posted:

I used an archtop guitar with a removable bridge. Used bronze wound nylon core strings for less tension (and a bronze flatwound .014 gauge string for the high E). Used a David Gage Realist upright bass pickup and put it under the foot of the bridge like I would on my upright. The only part I had to swap was to put bass tuners on for the low E and A strings since I did not have a tool to widen the hole to allow the strings to fit through. I of course also had to widen the nut slots. I originally was going to do a five string with the low b, and had it strung that way initially but then figured since I have six slots I may as well just make it a six string - EADGBE.

Looks kind of wacky since I removed all of the knobs and the two humbuckers...a little Swiss cheesy... but it sounds really great. Very balanced, and a nice thump on the bottom strings like I would get using the pickup on an upright. I was considering removing the frets from the neck and epoxying it to make it fretless as well but I think I prefer this one fretted.

I am out of the house right now and have a busy next few days but I will try to get a recording so you can see and hear it. I can't believe how well it worked out honestly.

This is actually cool as hell. I'd pay money for something like this.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

rio posted:

Can't wait for pics, but if I could give my opinion, you should reconsider staying fretted. Now, I didn't see any mention of scale, but I would imagine using an archtop, you don't go over 25". I can understand that it's still feasible with the flat lights, but I can't see you going without intonation problems that would be less of an issue if you go fretless and redraw the play style.

Now, maybe that's not where you were looking to go with this, and I'm genuinely interested anyway. Aron Sanchez of Buke and Gass did a very similar thing with a 1960s metal Volvo guitar (guitar + bass = gass, get it?) and considering its just the two of them and a foot-operated percussion system, they have a very full sound.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Ericadia posted:

Holy poo poo this. A guitar buddy suddenly joined a band as a bassist and he got an SX. What a turd.

They used to be okay if you replaced the pickups and gave it a setup, but the last one I got was a complete pile. Squier's stuff - specifically the Vintage Modified series - is so much better nowadays that for only a little bit more money I no longer see the point in buying an SX.

Digital Jesus posted:

Would a Skyline 55-01 be an ~upgrade~ over an Ibanez SR505? I know they run the same pickups but think they have a different preamp behind the scenes, also general playability. I realise this is a fairly broad question but I'm keen to pick up a Skyline for my next 'everything' bass. I'm also looking at a 55-02 instead but it seems like the 55-01 would be easier to upgrade if I end up wanting different pups/pre.

The other basses I'm oggling currently are the Korean made Warwick Pro series. Anyone tried any of these?

E: sorry all my posts in this thread are "should I buy this bass" but my nearest decent music store is literally 1500km away.

The 55-01 is going to feel much larger to play than the SR505. Your Ibanez is 34" scale, narrow nut, 16.5 mm spacing, super super thin neck profile. The Lakland is 35", wide nut, 19mm spacing and a thicker neck. One's not better than the other necessarily, but it's going to feel substantially different. It'd be an upgrade but honestly not much of one. The Warwick is in a similar bracket as well, but will feel more familiar to you coming from the Ibanez.

Otherwise if you're down with the bigger spacings the 55-01 is kind of cool as a modding platform (Nordstrands) but I've never liked them stock out of the box - although I hate Barts in general.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 25, 2014

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RIP Paul Goddard :(

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Finally got all the instruments tracked for my jazz fusion band's EP, on to the mixing phase. Got a few test mixes going, figured I'd give you guys a sneak peak. Really happy with how they're turning out :)

Bear in mind, test mix...

https://soundcloud.com/fro_tone/chest-rockwell-complete-trax-mix-11/s-O8O1a
(spoilered bc I can't remember if guests can access this forum or not)

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Scarf posted:

Finally got all the instruments tracked for my jazz fusion band's EP, on to the mixing phase. Got a few test mixes going, figured I'd give you guys a sneak peak. Really happy with how they're turning out :)

Bear in mind, test mix...

https://soundcloud.com/fro_tone/chest-rockwell-complete-trax-mix-11/s-O8O1a
(spoilered bc I can't remember if guests can access this forum or not)

Seems like the hi-hat and (somewhat) ride cymbals is a too hot, or at the very least they are overly bright to my ears. Then again, drums are quite difficult to dial in. Also, jazz oboe!? I dig it. (E: I've been awake too long, that's a soprano. You should get an oboe instead.)

I like your burpy tone and the guitar as well, they fit the musical style well.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 2, 2014

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

CaseFace McGee posted:

Seems like the hi-hat and (somewhat) ride cymbals is a too hot, or at the very least they are overly bright to my ears. Then again, drums are quite difficult to dial in. Also, jazz oboe!? I dig it. (E: I've been awake too long, that's a soprano. You should get an oboe instead.)

I like your burpy tone and the guitar as well, they fit the musical style well.

Thanks! Yeah, that's a recurring complaint of mine, re the hat and ride. Honestly I wasn't there when he was tracking the sax, I thought he was just strictly an alto player, but it wouldn't surprise me if he threw in some soprano as well.

Edit: I should also clarify that we recorded it ourselves, and these mixes are just our guitarist's attempt at mixing. We're sending it off to a pro that he's friends with shortly for actual mixing/mastering. These are just for our own benefit.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 2, 2014

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
What i'm hearing is pretty good. It's true the durms sound a bit too much ''in front''. I don't know if other would qualify it that way but they take a whole bunch of space and don't let a lot of instruments doing their thing shine a bit more.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Advice time! I just bought a place to live in so I'm selling off extra stuff. What would be fair for me to sell a completely undamaged MIA standard fender jazz bass for on craigslist? Think its from 2012 and like new, basically. Im fine with taking a hit so I can move it in time for closing.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

$800, maybe a little more if its a good color combo.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

My bass is making a weird rattling noise in the head when I play it. Hadn't noticed it until now.

Guess I should tighten all the screws and see if I can locate the problem. Only had this thing for a few months, so I'm hoping this isn't something serious.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

organburner posted:

My bass is making a weird rattling noise in the head when I play it. Hadn't noticed it until now.

Guess I should tighten all the screws and see if I can locate the problem. Only had this thing for a few months, so I'm hoping this isn't something serious.

is it on a particular string? check the nut. probably just a loose tuning key or something. can't imagine it being anything serious

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

That's the thing, no matter what string I play it rattles.
If I lightly touch the housing thing on two of the tuning keys while playing it goes away.

I need to find a tiny screwdriver and go to town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

DrChu posted:

$800, maybe a little more if its a good color combo.

It's that 3 color sunburst standard look. Thanks for the advice! Just gotta take some pictures and helloooo new couch.