Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Drifter posted:

I lvoed the whole "I could have cured Roy and not had him break up with Thea and any of that dangerous poo poo, but I was ashamed because I didn't kill some random dude nobody knew about back when Roy got Mirakuru'd." gently caress off, Ollie.

This at least can be explained - He chose to kill Slade rather than test the cure so he has literally no idea that the cure works or is even safe to use. It's still bullshit that he's only bringing this up now but its better than him straight up letting Roy be hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

MrFlibble posted:

This at least can be explained - He chose to kill Slade rather than test the cure so he has literally no idea that the cure works or is even safe to use. It's still bullshit that he's only bringing this up now but its better than him straight up letting Roy be hosed up.

Too bad about that other super soldiered dude he fought that he didn't care about killing that he could have tested the cure on...oh wait.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MrFlibble posted:

Sure, but a real bro would, if not tell Roy (a trubro would communicate), at least talk to Felicity to have her start to science up some people who could help figure it out. back when he almost killed a dude. And then another one after that. And then started freaking out. Et cetera. Or See Grundy and go, gently caress he's a badass, but I think I remember hearing about a cure for this poo poo. Oh let's start figuring it out.

Just a dumb person.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What I was expecting is the flashbacks would show us the cure doesn't work, so that's why Ollie doesn't mention it in the present.

Dual timelines always introduces some clunkiness.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The cure is going to be some "faith worst than death" style crap and that is why Ollie chooses to kill Slade instead.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mr.capps posted:

The cure is going to be some "faith worst than death" style crap and that is why Ollie chooses to kill Slade instead.

Well, that's not actually it because then he wouldn't've mentioned it at all.

That'd be like, "I'll cure your cancer, but you're going to be in a coma until you die of old age." That's not even worth mentioning at that point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If only they had a powered up 1 season guest star who's probably willing to take a bullet for Slade.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

If only they had a powered up 1 season guest star who's probably willing to take a bullet for Slade.

not just a bullet :heysexy::wink:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Drifter posted:

Well, that's not actually it because then he wouldn't've mentioned it at all.

That'd be like, "I'll cure your cancer, but you're going to be in a coma until you die of old age." That's not even worth mentioning at that point.

It is when killing Slade didn't exactly worked.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Drifter posted:

I know Ollie's the hero of the show, but he's such a complete fuckup he really needs to be taken down several pegs and have some sort of coming to grips moment where he realizes he's STILL AN rear end in a top hat.

Well, in his defense, he does have extremely severe PTSD that's totally untreated in any way.

That's really one of the primary themes of the show: trauma makes you strong, and conditioning yourself to violence is a good thing because it means you're prepared. Should he see a therapist? No, it's much better to exist in a continual state of battlefield awareness, where any mundane civilian context can explode instantly into war and he'll be ready to go out swinging.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't think that's a deliberate theme, as much as it is just a function of being comicbooky.

They make no mention of his trauma and strength and state of readiness and the sacrifices he must make, or rather the way it punishes him, as a result. or, if they do it's in a very eighth-assed way that doesn't serve that theme.

mr.capps posted:

It is when killing Slade didn't exactly worked.

I'm talking about Roy.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 18, 2014

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Drifter posted:

I don't think that's a deliberate theme, as much as it is just a function of being comicbooky.

Perhaps, but not all comic books - even those about vigilantes - are so centrally about the violence and militarism that Arrow is. (e.g. Spider-Man is a vigilante hero, but although his arc is informed by loss, it isn't about how he is battle-hardened after years of torture.)

I don't think it's any coincidence that the character they created for the show, John Diggle, is an Afghanistan veteran who "gets" Ollie in a way his civilian friends and family can't. The show's heroes and villains are people who experienced war and transformative violence overseas, who then brought that pain and anger back with them to inflict it on Starling City. They're literally turning the city into a battlefield because it's all they know.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I dig what you're saying, and it's definitely interesting, but in all of this I think the blue curtain is blue because it's just blue.

Now, I'm not discounting the general skill of the writers at all, it's a really fun show, but I think you're attributing things that aren't attributable.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
God drat that fight sequence in the quiver was so good for a tv show

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
And hilarious, he trashed everyone that came at him without breaking a sweat. Deathstroke owns. :black101:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

devmd01 posted:

And hilarious, he trashed everyone that came at him without breaking a sweat. Deathstroke owns. :black101:

I'm sure if I rewatch it'll be more clear, but it seemed like Ollie rushes Deathstroke with the escrima sticks and Deathstroke just has them in his hands already. Where'd he get them from?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I'm sure if I rewatch it'll be more clear, but it seemed like Ollie rushes Deathstroke with the escrima sticks and Deathstroke just has them in his hands already. Where'd he get them from?

He ducks under Ollie's first swing and picks up the one Sara dropped when he Vadered her.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If there was ever a spinoff show that needs to be made, it's Slade's. Half Batman, half Kingpin. :allears:

when he's less crazy, though.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
He was living in the cave on a camp bed for the entire time he was mad at Moira, guys. There are many many scenes where he sleeps and often has sex with canary in it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Phobeste posted:

He was living in the cave on a camp bed for the entire time he was mad at Moira, guys. There are many many scenes where he sleeps and often has sex with canary in it.

For a moment I thought you were talking about Slade. Hell of a mental image.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

He ducks under Ollie's first swing and picks up the one Sara dropped when he Vadered her.

Best part about that is when Deathstroke says 'don't forget who taught you how to fight kid'.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Basebf555 posted:

He actually drew his katana (sigh) and was fighting with that. That's why right before he knocks Ollie out and they are locked together, Ollie yells out because Slade presses the edge against his arm. Then Slade tosses him on the ground and punches him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ahh. I only had a crappy Youtube video to compare it to. You could see him grab something on the ground but that was about it.

A katana would probably break it you were to hit it with a pipe. They're apparently pretty weak in reality.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
The fight is another stupid thing in my opinion. Not the actual fight itself, that was cool.

But why didn't he just kill them right there. I get that he has bigger plans in mind for Oliver so he has a reason not to kill him, but what about the other three? I mean he has shown that he can overpower all four quite easily and he wants Oliver to know that he's not safe anywhere. So why not kill Sarah, Felicity and Diggle? Now that would send a message and also get rid of his support and setback his operation big time. Two birds with one stone.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 19, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It seems like Ollie can and has easily knocked Slade out with poison, in the very previous episode actually, so why doesn't he just get some more poison darts?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
With the Deathstork suit Slade's INVINCIBLE.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

David D. Davidson posted:

The fight is another stupid thing in my opinion. Not the actual fight itself, that was cool.

But why didn't he just kill them right there. I get that he has bigger plans in mind for Oliver so he has a reason not to kill him, but what about the other three? I mean he has shown that he can overpower all four quite easily and he wants Oliver to know that he's not safe anywhere. So why not kill Sarah, Felicity and Diggle? Now that would send a message and also get rid of his support and setback his operation big time. Two birds with one stone.

Its because he wants to ruin Oliver's life, and everyones around him.

Its been stated that Death is too easy a release for Ollie. He already Broke Thea, Roy, Laurel (Which seemingly backfired at the end of the episode) and His Company, leaving him and his family with seemingly nothing.

His world's coming down around him, which is what Slade wants to do to Ollie, as Shadow dying, took Slade's world(with the help of the Mirakuru). He knows he can take out his group, so why do it if Ollie isnt broken yet. If anything, that would give Ollie more fight in him (And in which Sarah dying might cause that extra fight in him)

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Drifter posted:

With the Deathstork suit Slade's INVINCIBLE.

Drifter posted:

Deathstork

??????

"Don't forget who taught you how to fight, kid."

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Haha, that's beautiful

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So I was reading an article about weightlifting techniques and followed a link to an article about Hollywood's Building a Bigger Action Hero, which mentions Manu Bennet, among other action stars, and the lifestyle and methods for what it takes to be a commercial success these days as a male actor. You can kinda extrapolate that it's pretty drat similar as a female actor, even though this article is male-centric.

quote:

That edge is what lured Manu Bennett, who played the fearsome gladiator Crixus on Spartacus. In 2007, at the age of 35, he got a lead role in The Smashing Machine, the story of ferocious Mark Kerr, an MMA fighter and drug addict.
"I try to build myself as a physical representation of the character, and I knew Kerr had problems with steroids," says Bennett. "So it challenged me to, uh, fully embrace the role."
Bennett says he began doing two-a-day workouts with a former Mr. Australia and began taking injections. He put on 44 pounds in three months.

He's given more page space than what I put here (last half of page 4), but it's just a really interesting read in general. It's also really interesting just how much, even if we're conscious of it, television recreates normative models into things that take hundreds of thousands of dollars per person to create, and the illusion of consistency within that.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 19, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
gently caress beaten!

But a smaller version of this might be my new avatar...

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Just spent twenty minutes looking for birds to match that Slade monologue where he outlines his plan to Blood about ruining Oliver then realized I spent twenty minutes looking at birds for comic book reasons :negative:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bad Moon posted:

Just spent twenty minutes looking for birds to match that Slade monologue where he outlines his plan to Blood about ruining Oliver then realized I spent twenty minutes looking at birds for comic book reasons :negative:

This is exactly why the internet exists. You've done nothing wrong.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Drifter posted:

I dig what you're saying, and it's definitely interesting, but in all of this I think the blue curtain is blue because it's just blue.

Now, I'm not discounting the general skill of the writers at all, it's a really fun show, but I think you're attributing things that aren't attributable.

If you're gonna say his reading is wrong, don't you maybe think you should supply a better counter-argument than "nuh-uh, it means nothing"? "It's blue because it's blue" is a nonsense statement. Themes are going to exist even if you don't look for them, and even if the author didn't intend them because anything an artist makes is going to reflect their view of the world.

Don't get me wrong, it's fine to enjoy a show without analyzing the themes, etc. I usually do. You can let others analyze a show without losing your ability to watch it straight-forwardly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They wrote Green Lantern so I'm pretty sure the theme of suffering makes you stronger is correct.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
There's a lot of Deathstork chat goin' on in here.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's a lot of Deathstork chat goin' on in here.

That can't be deathstork, he has two eyes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I'm sorry I didn't stabilize the eyepatch, but I was only kinda feeling it tonight and I didn't want to go searching for quality images, I didn't double check for placement until I had flattened half the images already.
:negative:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 19, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Xealot posted:

Perhaps, but not all comic books - even those about vigilantes - are so centrally about the violence and militarism that Arrow is. (e.g. Spider-Man is a vigilante hero, but although his arc is informed by loss, it isn't about how he is battle-hardened after years of torture.)

I don't think it's any coincidence that the character they created for the show, John Diggle, is an Afghanistan veteran who "gets" Ollie in a way his civilian friends and family can't. The show's heroes and villains are people who experienced war and transformative violence overseas, who then brought that pain and anger back with them to inflict it on Starling City. They're literally turning the city into a battlefield because it's all they know.

If this IS deliberate, it'd be interesting to see the potential contrast compared to Barry, assuming the latter is relatively close to his comic book outlook (though the writers say he may be more cynical underneath a bright demeanor, whilst Ollie is broadly the opposite). I figure Barry would take issue somewhat with the idea of doing things the way Ollie does, at least on a personal level, which could make an eventual crossover of the two again interesting. Plus, easy excuse to give us the obligatory 'two superheroes meet, FIGHT' on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Something I just realized, since the showrunners have stated that powers are on the table, is that when Laurel becomes Black Canary, she might actually have the Canary Cry, instead of the tech Sarah uses. That could be fun.

• Locked thread