Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

So is there any optimism about the new fiscal year, or are we looking at another decade of darkness?

Well, if we could somehow find a way to be tasked on domestic assistance to the oilsands, I'm sure the budget would expand immeasurably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

This fiscal will be worse then last, but were are not quite at 90s levels yet.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Lt. Jebus posted:

This fiscal will be worse then last, but were are not quite at 90s levels yet.

I don't know, I know an airforce warrant and captain that had to stay in base accommodations just the other day.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I don't know, I know an airforce warrant and captain that had to stay in base accommodations just the other day.

On my course I'm on now, two guys are on TD getting paid 10k for 10 weeks. They are only paying 3k in apartment rental for the time, rest is banked.

A third guy is staying at base accommodation on full meal plan getting virtually nothing.

It's starting to catch up!

(I get nothing because I live in the area)

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

Hizawk posted:

On my course I'm on now, two guys are on TD getting paid 10k for 10 weeks. They are only paying 3k in apartment rental for the time, rest is banked.

A third guy is staying at base accommodation on full meal plan getting virtually nothing.

It's starting to catch up!

(I get nothing because I live in the area)

What the gently caress? How does anyone justify renting an apartment for a 10 week course? TD is only $17 a day! Are they also getting meals paid for too? Even if the guy is on base accommodations he should still be getting TD if he is out of town. Those numbers sound super fishy.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

TD rates are here. After 31 days it drops to a 75% rate. If those guys are getting every meal claimed that's 5 and a half grand over 10 weeks (or ten grand for the two of them so story checks out)

The only way commercial lodging should have been authorized is if the barracks were full for the majority of the course, which rarely happens for longer courses as those pers have priority over guys in for a week or less. But if it did happen they are staying over 30 days and thus are entitled to whats called a "extended stay" which is done via a standing offer with Premiere Executive Suites, however all commercial lodging is receipt based (and for an extended stay the member probably never deals with any money) so its not like you can "pocket" any extra money with that.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Lt. Jebus posted:

TD rates are here. After 31 days it drops to a 75% rate. If those guys are getting every meal claimed that's 5 and a half grand over 10 weeks (or ten grand for the two of them so story checks out)

The only way commercial lodging should have been authorized is if the barracks were full for the majority of the course, which rarely happens for longer courses as those pers have priority over guys in for a week or less. But if it did happen they are staying over 30 days and thus are entitled to whats called a "extended stay" which is done via a standing offer with Premiere Executive Suites, however all commercial lodging is receipt based (and for an extended stay the member probably never deals with any money) so its not like you can "pocket" any extra money with that.

Either that or you're air force. Up until this latest round of cutbacks whenever my mom went on a course she had hotels for everything.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Either that or you're air force. Up until this latest round of cutbacks whenever my mom went on a course she had hotels for everything.

That's why I said ~should~. The regulations are forces wide, however ultimately it has more to do with the unit than the element. A unit with a large TD budget and less commitments will likely play loose with the rules then a unit that that has to move a lot of people around the country all the time. I know plenty of Air forces officers working in the NCR that won't see the inside of any hotel on TD unless every single room in the wardroom/officers mess is full.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
One way to make money out of a TD is to drive there(when its possible) instead of flying. I had a course in Truro NE and it cost 1200$ to fly me there and back + Taxi ride from Halifax to Truro. I took my car instead and drove there and they gave me the 1200$.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
half the guys from my PLQ drove from Pet to Gagetown and banked a cool 2 grand for their troubles. Driving across half the country on a redbull binge wooooo

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Somewhat unsure why the thread tag keeps on changing. Has someone hijacked the thread?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

Somewhat unsure why the thread tag keeps on changing. Has someone hijacked the thread?

Well we are sending like half our combat air forces to NATO for the whole Ukraine thing so

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

Guest2553 posted:

Well we are sending like half our combat air forces to NATO for the whole Ukraine thing so

I don't think we have 12 total f18s but sure

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
NM - I'm an idiot.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

mstrkrft posted:

I don't think we have 12 total f18s but sure

Twelve working ones sounds about right.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Pretty sure we're going to have more air defense capabilities in Poland than we are in Canada.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Pretty sure we're going to have more air defense capabilities in Poland than we are in Canada.

The cost of belonging to NATO.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mstrkrft posted:

The cost of belonging to NATO.

I feel like +50% of capability may be too high.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Frosted Flake posted:

In the only situations where we'd actually need to use our airforce at home we'd be so cosmically hosed that 50% of capability will be worth just about jack poo poo.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Jonad posted:

In the only situations where we'd actually need to use our airforce at home we'd be so cosmically hosed that 50% of capability will be worth just about jack poo poo.

I can't really think of a situation where we'd need to use our CF-18's at home for any sort of combat mission. War with Russia over Canadian territory would be with ICBMs, War with 'Muricah would be over before it started. Therefore they're for force projection, and do a rather lovely job at it. (Or did until the Link-16 upgrades)

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

I think the investment is worth it to be part of NATO. How often are our birds just doing domestic sorties as opposed to actually fighting enemies? Horus is right, I can't think of a situation where we'd be sending our F-18s in a domestic combat mission.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Mind you I also think NATO is outdated and should be broken up into regional concerns. But according to DnD I'm a big poo poo dummy head for considering that.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MA-Horus posted:

Mind you I also think NATO is outdated and should be broken up into regional concerns. But according to DnD I'm a big poo poo dummy head for considering that.

Personally I don't think we should meddle with anybody else's problems unless inaction could come back on us. Why the gently caress should we spend money helping out the people of buttfuckistan when there are issues at home. Isolationism is the best way to go.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My main issue with sending those planes is that it's the most token of token-ist forces. It's like we need to constantly remind the United States that we have a military, and that we can FORCE PROJECT too.

I'm also of the mind-set that if this government had been in power in January 2003, we would have sent troops to Iraq as well. And it would have killed a whole lot of troops, and effectively destroyed the Canadian Military.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MA-Horus posted:

I'm also of the mind-set that if this government had been in power in January 2003, we would have sent troops to Iraq as well. And it would have killed a whole lot of troops, and effectively destroyed the Canadian Military.

Yea, I agree with that. We did have attaches over there for a bit though.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

A fair number of RCAF pers were in Iraq but it's not well known, even in military circles. I even know one cool dude that was in both Gulf Wars :eng101:

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
It really did take a long, long time for it to sink in that our new conservative pro-military government was only going to be so in the most cynical lip-servicey way possible.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Yeah sometimes it's a bit embarrassing having quantitative discussions with other militaries. At least we did get a few years of plenty in between FRP and FRP 2: electric boogaloo.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I can only imagine how many guys would have died after we sent Iltis' to Iraq.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

I can only imagine how many guys would have died after we sent Iltis' to Iraq.

Well Marine 1st Recon did ok in their hoopty humvees during the invasion.

But the answer is a lot. A lot of dead guys in iltis' (ilti?) Christ you can't uparmor those things whatsoever.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't there an 'up-armored' iltis in the war museum thats all shot to poo poo and all of the occupants died in the cocksucker?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's a companion piece to the "up-armoured" G-Wagon that got blasted to pieces by an IED.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
What about the uparmoured LSVW?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/esquimalt-sailor-returning-home-dies-in-tanzanian-hospital-1.979909

God-loving-dammit. Nicest guy in the loving world. His daughter and my son go to preschool together.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

What about the uparmoured LSVW?

The LSVW can't get out of it's own way or stop worth a drat as it is. Adding armor would make it even more useless...which i didn't think was possible.

gently caress it. Uparmored MILCOTS.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Italian used LSVWs in Iraq. It went about how you'd expect.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

But that's the Italian version which is apparently actually a good truck.

Not our Kim Campbell Special.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
The Navy has publicly IDed Brandon http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/navy-identifies-cfb-esquimalt-sailor-who-died-in-tanzania-1.983571

Probably the best attitude I've ever run into. Always, always happy and would do anything for his friends (which is kind of how I hope he went out). I was the first guy to know his girlfriend was pregnant with their first. We used to go to the, uh, club after work on Fridays for pitchers of Coors Light and Jaeger Bombs, the bastard. Jaeger Bombs everywhere...

I'm completely shocked at this, he wasn't dumb and this wasn't his first deployment by a long shot.

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title
Looks like the Cold War isn't quite over yet.

Looking forward to dancing in the Med this summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
So we like NATO again?