Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Spangly A posted:

I can't just send HMRC a brown paper bag and write "I smoked some weed this year, here's 17.5%".

I should hope not.

The rate is 20% :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Spangly A posted:

Canterbury now, which is mostly dreadful so I rarely bother. I used to get £20 an hour at peak times in Ramsgate (the three market hours on sat/sun and school runs on weekdays).

It's performance art, not music. Just belt out a mix of popular covers and some dancy written stuff while getting as many people as you can involved, tourists are good for this. You want an area with a high volume of people stopping briefly, so tourist photograph spots and shops are good (shops will chase you though). People walking past don't throw money at you so high streets are usually a bit crap.

In low hours I used to play more of my own material and would occasionally get phone numbers and gig offers but unless you're Rodrigo y Gabriella you want to focus on entertainment, not talent.

Cool, I'm great at entertainment, all I play is covers whenever I host acoustic nights at my bar. Cheers for the advice, gonna have to find somewhere "touristy" in Aberdeen that won't be loving freezing. How about outside shopping malls or centers? Also ever try busking at night after the clubs close? I'd imagine you'd get loads if you can tolerate the drunks.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

JFairfax posted:

No, I'm not a troon

This is pretty lovely, you for realsies shouldn't do it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I once tried busking in Cardiff but then I realized that there was enough local characters that were giving entertainment away for free that it seemed like pissing in the wind to try and rake in any cash.

That said, quite a few of them have vanished. I heard rumours that the wonderful Trevor may have died, which is pretty loving :smith: if true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsGVa7BcqPs

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

JFairfax posted:

No, I'm not a troon

You're not a town in South Ayrshire?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coohoolin posted:

Cool, I'm great at entertainment, all I play is covers whenever I host acoustic nights at my bar. Cheers for the advice, gonna have to find somewhere "touristy" in Aberdeen that won't be loving freezing. How about outside shopping malls or centers? Also ever try busking at night after the clubs close? I'd imagine you'd get loads if you can tolerate the drunks.

You need to book one of the official pitches if you want to busk, as I recall.

Alternately, Old Blackfriars are advertising for musical acts and Cafe Drummonds have an open mic night.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Jesus, I forgot that was even a place. I was almost mugged there once when I was fourteen. Troon, man. Wow.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Not enough golf courses to be a Troon.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Jedit posted:

You need to book one of the official pitches if you want to busk, as I recall.

Alternately, Old Blackfriars are advertising for musical acts and Cafe Drummonds have an open mic night.

My favourite open mics are Musa on Mondays and the Blue Lamp on Friday, I want to say? I was promised a spot in O'Neill's ages ago but the management there is shambolic.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Semprini posted:

Start a business that's mostly cash-based (taxi driver, car wash etc). Report to taxman that you're the best drat car wash in town, just look at all these profits.

There's more to it than that, obviously, but old bill watching the thread etc...

Launderettes. Lots of notes getting broken down into change and an entirely cash based business.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yeah, but then you invite a bunch of terrible jokes about laundering and/or "this is a clean operation"

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
I leave this here without further comment: the key highlights of the Lloyds/Halifax "Generation Rent 2014" report.

http://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/media/press-releases/2014/halifax/generation-rent-2014-will-rental-rungs-replace-the-property-ladder/

quote:

• One in five of 23-27 year olds have no desire to own a home
  • Almost half (48%) agree Britain will become a nation of renters within the next generation
  • 46% agree Britain is becoming more like Europe, where renting is ‘the norm’
  • 86% of potential homeowners refuse to sacrifice the quality of accommodation they currently live in to reduce the amount of rent they pay in order to save for a deposit
  • 54% of homeowners think people aren't willing to make the necessary sacrifices to get on the property ladder
  • 57% say first-time buyers today are guilty of trying to find their perfect property rather than adjusting their expectations to their means
  • 57% of would-be first time buyers would like to save but claim to not have any spare cash that they could save.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
welp.

*waves goodbye to the UK*

looks like I'll be buying my first house in the states then.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

LemonDrizzle posted:

- 86% of potential homeowners refuse to sacrifice the quality of accommodation they currently live in to reduce the amount of rent they pay in order to save for a deposit.
- 57% of would-be first time buyers would like to save but claim to not have any spare cash that they could save.
- 57% say first-time buyers today are guilty of trying to find their perfect property rather than adjusting their expectations to their means

I wonder what the overlap between these 3 groups is?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Launderettes. Lots of notes getting broken down into change and an entirely cash based business.

The new high tech answer is FOBT's. Play £200 on roulette at 1.1/1 over and over and over again, two terminals per bookies, 8 bookies per high street.

Total Meatlove fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 19, 2014

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Ddraig posted:

I once tried busking in Cardiff but then I realized that there was enough local characters that were giving entertainment away for free that it seemed like pissing in the wind to try and rake in any cash.

That said, quite a few of them have vanished. I heard rumours that the wonderful Trevor may have died, which is pretty loving :smith: if true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsGVa7BcqPs

Yeah Trevor died a few years back I think :( I've not seen many 'free' entertainers lately, Cardiff is packed with buskers and those gold painted men at the moment.

LemonDrizzle posted:

I leave this here without further comment: the key highlights of the Lloyds/Halifax "Generation Rent 2014" report.

http://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/media/press-releases/2014/halifax/generation-rent-2014-will-rental-rungs-replace-the-property-ladder/

The problem with the UK becoming a nation of renters is that renting here is poo poo. Landlords can get away with renting out houses in terrible condition, agents gouge money out of you for every last thing, there's very few long term rental agreements around... the only thing that has improved is deposit protection.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Robot Mil posted:

The problem with the UK becoming a nation of renters is that renting here is poo poo. Landlords can get away with renting out houses in terrible condition, agents gouge money out of you for every last thing, there's very few long term rental agreements around... the only thing that has improved is deposit protection.

Yeah, the Coalition have shat out a massive steaming heap of dung in the last few years, but there are some nuggets of value hidden inside. Like deposit protection.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Maybe people don't want to spend money on something which everyone hopes is going to collapse in price any day now.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

kingturnip posted:

Yeah, the Coalition have shat out a massive steaming heap of dung in the last few years, but there are some nuggets of value hidden inside. Like deposit protection.

:ssh: Deposit protection was the Housing Act 2004, so once again Labour are responsible for why we're in this mess right now :ssh:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yorkshire.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/main-topics/general-news/beauties-brawl-as-miss-scarborough-contest-descends-into-catfight-1-6566461

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

I think the girl at top left, back row 's grimace sums up my view.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

In my latter days at uni I read about and came to support workplace democracy, getting rid of workplace hierarchy, co-ops, that sort of thing. It's only now that I've got a full-time job above minimum wage that I appreciate what damage lovely managers and top-down decisions do to morale, worker happiness and health, productivity etc. My work's new assistant manager is a bit of an arse, delegates all his work, spends all his time chatting to customers, and complains whenever anyone gets him to do his job. He goes out of his way to inconvenience others if it means he skips working, and he uses his position to defend his actions. If the place was run more democratically he'd be forced to stop being a prick!

What's the thread's opinion on non-hierarchical workplace management? I know not too many of you are anarchists, but it's not too outlandish of an idea the way I see it.

E: for example a democratically run beauty pageant would have 30% less 'catfights'

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 19, 2014

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

LemonDrizzle posted:

86% of potential homeowners refuse to sacrifice the quality of accommodation they currently live in to reduce the amount of rent they pay in order to save for a deposit

Why would you when the base rent of anywhere to live is so high that the premium for a nice place isn't (relatively) that significant?

This is London centric, but around where I am it's probably about a £200 a month difference between getting a complete dump and getting a decent spec place. An extra £2400 a year in your savings account would be nice, but it's hard to argue it's the difference between buying and not buying compared to the insane purchase price of housing.

Quincey
Feb 14, 2012
Political Scrapbook report Tories trying to smear the Trussell Trust: http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/04/tories-go-on-warpath-in-sickening-attack-against-food-bank-charity/with a bullshit article about foodbanks giving out "restaurant tokens": http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/04/the-truth-food-bank-users-dont-get-restaurant-tokens/

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Quincey posted:

Political Scrapbook report Tories trying to smear the Trussell Trust: http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/04/tories-go-on-warpath-in-sickening-attack-against-food-bank-charity/with a bullshit article about foodbanks giving out "restaurant tokens": http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/04/the-truth-food-bank-users-dont-get-restaurant-tokens/

Ho ho, right you are. 22k a year, and all the fags her and her daughter can smoke. Good old Scum and their flawless reporting.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

e: never mind

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 19, 2014

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

LemonDrizzle posted:

This is a pretty good piece of propaganda here it seems to suggest that our generation are going to become a generation of renters because of our own refusal to sacrifice this is of course bullshit its because of a desire to protect the property investments of those who are already sorted. I don't think there is an inherent problem with large amounts of the population renting as I understand it on the continent there is a lot more renting and its worked well for a while, the problem is the cost here and the way landlords are allowed to get away with bloody murder. It of course ignores the fact that a lot of the previous generation got on the housing market by buying council houses something which has had terrible consequences for our chances of owning homes.

The best solution is of course house for all built and provided by the state which is just not going to happen.

On another note I'm going to crosspost what I put on Facebook this morning.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/19/zero-hours-contracts-flexible-working

There's a lot of truth mixed with a lot of naïveté in this article, the truth lies in the mention of psychological damage caused by the working hours used in retail positions. I've long felt that hours are used by management as a way of breaking the employees, make us fight amongst ourselves and compete for the good hours destroying solidarity. Make us follow unfair or illegal requests regarding when we work out of fear of having our hours cut or changed. The naïveté comes from the suggestion that this could change from above via legislation which is of course bullshit as retail (also hospitality for that matter) businesses ignore legislation regarding working hours and time between shifts as it is. The only answer is of course increased worker militancy, if uncontracted (as many such places are) all the employees should demand a fair agreed upon contract at once, this should be made to preserve the workers rights over the rights of the business. Where contracts are simply ignored then fight, strikes will be hard to work in these jobs as there will always be scabs but there's nothing stopping work to rule, spotting health and safety risks in everything and obviously refusing every favour management asks of you, make them bastards come in on their day off to cover an illness, hell its what they're paid more for. Changes to the treatment of workers can only come when the workers stand together and push, this is something we seem to have forgotten in this country.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

peanut- posted:

Why would you when the base rent of anywhere to live is so high that the premium for a nice place isn't (relatively) that significant?

This is London centric, but around where I am it's probably about a £200 a month difference between getting a complete dump and getting a decent spec place. An extra £2400 a year in your savings account would be nice, but it's hard to argue it's the difference between buying and not buying compared to the insane purchase price of housing.

Well, see, you keep saving your £2400/year for a little over four years, at which point you have £10k. That qualifies as your deposit for a 95% mortgage of £190k, so you have a £200k house budget. You then use that to buy a 50% share in a shared ownership 1 bed flat priced at £400k. If prices have gone up significantly over the intervening period, you simply drop the size of your share in the property.

:colbert:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hmmm what tradition is this.

also he can't spell blackup?

if this is jack straw's kid I've now lost all respect for him gained when we found out he was knocking out weed.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

JFairfax posted:

Bacup is a (fairly well known) place.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

JFairfax posted:

hmmm what tradition is this.

if this is jack straw's kid I've now lost all respect for him gained when we found out he was knocking out weed.

AA Gill, The Times posted:

The dance begins with each Nutter cocking a hand to his ear to listen to something we human folk can’t catch. They then wag a finger at each other, and they’re off, stamping and circling, occasionally holding bent wands covered with red, white and blue rosettes that they weave into simple patterns. It’s not pretty and it’s not clever. It is, simply, awe-inspiringly, astonishingly other. Morris men from southern troupes come and watch in slack-jawed silence. Nothing in the civilised world is quite as elementally bizarre and awkwardly compelling as the Coco-nutters of Bacup.
Basically they're a clog-dancing minstrel troupe.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

mrpwase posted:

In my latter days at uni I read about and came to support workplace democracy, getting rid of workplace hierarchy, co-ops, that sort of thing. It's only now that I've got a full-time job above minimum wage that I appreciate what damage lovely managers and top-down decisions do to morale, worker happiness and health, productivity etc. My work's new assistant manager is a bit of an arse, delegates all his work, spends all his time chatting to customers, and complains whenever anyone gets him to do his job. He goes out of his way to inconvenience others if it means he skips working, and he uses his position to defend his actions. If the place was run more democratically he'd be forced to stop being a prick!

What's the thread's opinion on non-hierarchical workplace management? I know not too many of you are anarchists, but it's not too outlandish of an idea the way I see it.

E: for example a democratically run beauty pageant would have 30% less 'catfights'

It brings up the old and oft-repeated chestnut about human nature, I guess. Non-hierarchical workplace management runs into the issue that a significant portion of human beings are entirely exploitative sociopaths who will manipulate everyone around them, and it only takes a small number of said people to make such a system impossible. That's still probably an improvement over the current system in which entirely exploitative sociopaths are inevitably promoted and given increasing amounts of power, though.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

It's not racist if you don't do the hands.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
So , it looks like your 'anonymised' tax data ,earnings and the like are going to be sold to private firms by the treasury.

quote:

HM Revenue & Customs is preparing to sell UK taxpayers' personal data to private firms.

HMRC officials are examining "charging options" to release anonymised tax data to third parties including companies, researchers and public bodies, the Guardian reported.

The plans are likely to raise serious concerns among privacy campaigners and MPs in the wake of the Care.data scheme, which shares "anonymised" medical records with third parties, the newspaper said.

The Care.data initiative was previously suspended for six months due to concerns that people could be identified easily from the given information, such as postcodes, dates of birth, NHS numbers, ethnicity and gender.

Likewise, the sharing of taxpayer information despite the government's assurance of suitable safeguards would be risky and could break trust between HMRC and taxpayers, according to experts.

Under the data sharing scheme, details about income, tax arrangements and payment history are expected to be traded. Such information would be useful to credit rating agencies, advertisers and retailers who want to practise price discrimination, Ross Anderson, a professor of security engineering at Cambridge University, told the Guardian.

"If they were to make HMRC information more available, there's an awful lot of people who would like to get their hands on it. Anonymisation is something about which they lied to us over medical data ... If the same thing is about to be done by HMRC, there should be a much greater public debate about this," he said.

Former Conservative minister David Davis told the newspaper that the proposal is "borderline insane".

"The Treasury lists no credible benefits and offers a justification based on an international agreement that does not lead other governments to open up their tax database," he said.

"It defies logic that we would remove those restraints at a time when data can be collected by the gigabyte, processed in milliseconds and transported around the world almost instantaneously."

"The ongoing claims about anonymous data overlook the serious risks to privacy of individual level data being vulnerable to re-identification," said Emma Carr, deputy director of campaign group Big Brother Watch.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/hmrc-sell-uk-taxpayers-data-private-firms-102942548.html

Can't think how this will be potentially abused.

spikenigma fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 19, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

spikenigma posted:

Can't think how this will be potentially abused.

Well of course not. It's not abuse if it's the exact, intended function.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tortuga posted:

It's not racist if you don't do the hands.

What's the hands?

....?

a var of piss
Nov 16, 2013

Tolth posted:

It brings up the old and oft-repeated chestnut about human nature, I guess. Non-hierarchical workplace management runs into the issue that a significant portion of human beings are entirely exploitative sociopaths who will manipulate everyone around them, and it only takes a small number of said people to make such a system impossible. That's still probably an improvement over the current system in which entirely exploitative sociopaths are inevitably promoted and given increasing amounts of power, though.

Oh yeah, I hear that story by the watercooler every day. And from my mate's mate down the pub.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

a var of piss posted:

Oh yeah, I hear that story by the watercooler every day. And from my mate's mate down the pub.

That's not quite what I meant, but I appreciate why you've misinterpreted my post. I was referring to the 'human nature is why communism doesn't work' argument that is repeated with hilarious frequency by people trying to debate with socialists/communists. While that's normally weak as hell because the entire structure of society and law is designed to counter 'human nature', the logic is a lot more applicable to explaining why trying to run a workplace democratically is a dodgy idea. I hope this helped you to understand the context and intent of my post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a var of piss
Nov 16, 2013

Tolth posted:

That's not quite what I meant, but I appreciate why you've misinterpreted my post. I was referring to the 'human nature is why communism doesn't work' argument that is repeated with hilarious frequency by people trying to debate with socialists/communists. While that's normally weak as hell because the entire structure of society and law is designed to counter 'human nature', the logic is a lot more applicable to explaining why trying to run a workplace democratically is a dodgy idea. I hope this helped you to understand the context and intent of my post!

I appreciate you taking the time to share an opinion, which you believe to be true, on the internet.

• Locked thread