Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
Getting my Implanon out next week and hopefully will be approved for an IUD and will be getting Paragard soon, so excited! But, just my luck, I've been bleeding for a week with no end in sight and I can't have my approval visit if I'm bleeding, which means if this doesn't shut the gently caress down by Tuesday morning I have to cancel, which sucks. Stupid irregular bleeding, why must you betray me, Implanon. I loved you. Hopefully I'll have a trip report soon, I'm so looking forward to ten years of idiot proof no-babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

ilysespieces posted:

Getting my Implanon out next week and hopefully will be approved for an IUD and will be getting Paragard soon, so excited! But, just my luck, I've been bleeding for a week with no end in sight and I can't have my approval visit if I'm bleeding, which means if this doesn't shut the gently caress down by Tuesday morning I have to cancel, which sucks. Stupid irregular bleeding, why must you betray me, Implanon. I loved you. Hopefully I'll have a trip report soon, I'm so looking forward to ten years of idiot proof no-babies.

I would just show up to the appointment anyway. Shower, wear a tampon, hit the bathroom at the doctor's office to remove it, bring some wet wipes if needed, and just explain what's going on when you have the doc in front of you.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

fork bomb posted:

I would just show up to the appointment anyway. Shower, wear a tampon, hit the bathroom at the doctor's office to remove it, bring some wet wipes if needed, and just explain what's going on when you have the doc in front of you.

Totally TMI response below, read at your own risk.

It's not even real bleeding, I haven't needed a pad/tampon all week, which is the most frustrating part. I even slept naked last night, that's how non-existent it is right now. I may just go, if it's still like this, and if they notice act shocked/surprised.

I'm hoping it stops in the next day or so so I don't have to think about it at all. I just want to go to this appointment so I can start on the pill asap so I can get laid again once the implant is out, I'm an awful horn-dog apparently. The woman on the phone said nothing in/around me for 48 hours before the appointment, which sucks because it's on a Tuesday and I get all my boning in on the weekends because the bf is way too stressed/tired to get any after work.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If it's that light (and I know what you mean, it's seriously like nothing on Implanon) I would just pretend you hadn't noticed. It's not because they medically can't or they'll get grossed out, it's because everything is just easier to see if there isn't tons of blood all over the place, which there isn't.

Planned Parenthood NYC does Implanon now! :toot: I'm going to get my third (wow) in a few weeks. I actually have good insurance so I could go to a fancy-rear end practice, but PP is so much more convenient it's ridiculous.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

ilysespieces posted:

Totally TMI response below, read at your own risk.

It's not even real bleeding, I haven't needed a pad/tampon all week, which is the most frustrating part. I even slept naked last night, that's how non-existent it is right now. I may just go, if it's still like this, and if they notice act shocked/surprised.

I'm hoping it stops in the next day or so so I don't have to think about it at all. I just want to go to this appointment so I can start on the pill asap so I can get laid again once the implant is out, I'm an awful horn-dog apparently. The woman on the phone said nothing in/around me for 48 hours before the appointment, which sucks because it's on a Tuesday and I get all my boning in on the weekends because the bf is way too stressed/tired to get any after work.

The last time I went in for a check up (involving a pelvic) they told me it was fine as long as I just having some light bleeding/spotting. So unless you're gushing blood, you'll probably be fine. All they did at my IUD consult was take 1-2 swabs for STD tests and checked my iron levels with a finger stick, the latter I'm not sure is even standard really. They might also want a pap smear if you haven't had one in a long while.

If you're not sure just call them, explain you're spotting unpredictably because of your current birth control and ask whether it's OK. I'm sure they're aware this can happen and if they're reasonable they'll understand you can't schedule around something that happens whenever.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

If it's that light (and I know what you mean, it's seriously like nothing on Implanon) I would just pretend you hadn't noticed. It's not because they medically can't or they'll get grossed out, it's because everything is just easier to see if there isn't tons of blood all over the place, which there isn't.

Planned Parenthood NYC does Implanon now! :toot: I'm going to get my third (wow) in a few weeks. I actually have good insurance so I could go to a fancy-rear end practice, but PP is so much more convenient it's ridiculous.

Thanks. Unless it gets heavier I'm sticking with the whole pretending I don't notice approach. I'm actually going to PP on the island since I can borrow a car to get there and not have to deal with trains. They only do Implanon at certain times so I have to leave work early Thursday to get it removed, but that's fine with me. I wish I could get another but with moving next month I just can't spend my own money on another. Plus I kind of like the idea of no hormones, when I first got Implanon I was a hot mess for a while.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

Erysipelothrix posted:

Does anyone know anything about antibiotics and hormonal IUDs? I've just been put on Minocycline for 3 months and I have a skyla IUD. My doctor said she doubts it will effect the IUD but I might want to use condoms just in case. I would really rather not use condoms if I don't have to. I know minocycline can cause some pretty nasty birth defects if taken while pregnant. So I think that might be why she was suggesting I be extra careful. But if it lowers the effectivenss I will definitely use a back up method. Googling doesn't really come up with anything too concrete with regards to mino and hormonal IUDs.

The antibiotic/hormonal bc problem is with rifampin (which can alter the liver metabolism of hormones in the bloodstream, particularly ethinyl estradiol). Minocycline is a tetracycline and doesn't have that effect, but there are other drugs like phenobarbital and griseofulvin that do. The main effect of hormonal IUDs is through local effects on the cervical mucus and uterine environment, so you do not need to use a backup method.

SqueakovaPeep
May 6, 2007

I am the night.
Hey y'all !I'm looking for advice and ideas before I contact my obgyn. I was on generic yaz for about 3 years and have been pretty happy with it, it helped with irregular periods, mild pmdd, and hormonal break outs. It also eliminated hormonal migraines. However, around the time of my yearly checkup I was having tons of migraines with aura and confusion and only sometimes pain. They had external triggers (weird perfume I was trying) but my obgyn said that either way that wasn't good and put me on Camila, a no estrogen pill. I've been on it for 2 packs now and have had pretty much a constant period. As in this past month I had 4 no period days. This has sucked supremely. Also my face is breaking out and I generally don't like it. No migraines though so yay?

So I'm gonna call her Monday and be like ugh what gives, but do you guys have any feedback or ideas that I could ask about or bring to the table? Is it gonna maybe get better? Is there a better idea?

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

SqueakovaPeep posted:

Hey y'all !I'm looking for advice and ideas before I contact my obgyn. I was on generic yaz for about 3 years and have been pretty happy with it, it helped with irregular periods, mild pmdd, and hormonal break outs. It also eliminated hormonal migraines. However, around the time of my yearly checkup I was having tons of migraines with aura and confusion and only sometimes pain. They had external triggers (weird perfume I was trying) but my obgyn said that either way that wasn't good and put me on Camila, a no estrogen pill. I've been on it for 2 packs now and have had pretty much a constant period. As in this past month I had 4 no period days. This has sucked supremely. Also my face is breaking out and I generally don't like it. No migraines though so yay?

So I'm gonna call her Monday and be like ugh what gives, but do you guys have any feedback or ideas that I could ask about or bring to the table? Is it gonna maybe get better? Is there a better idea?

I'll say that I've been on a minipill for 10yrs & what you get out of it (like any pill) can always vary. My body self regulated right away to one period every 3mo (I was always super regular off the pill too, though). I've been on Errin (an ortho micronor generic). A few years ago the pharmacy gave me a different generic because mine was going to be unavailable for a few months. That generic had me bleeding just about nonstop for 3wks so I stopped taking it (had more problems than just that) & just dealt with a couple crappy non-pill months until my normal pill was back in stock. Recently that same pharmacy swapped out my Errin for a generic of a generic, without even asking/telling me, so I found a new pharmacy (didn't want to risk another nightmare pill).

So basically, you might need to try other pills to find one you like. Even different generics of the same name-brand can have different effects for some people. I'm sure your doctor can talk it over with you about trying a different generic, or the name brand, or a different name brand. And once you do find a pill you like, request your doc to put "dispense as written"/DAW on the script.

IdeoPhanthus fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 20, 2014

SqueakovaPeep
May 6, 2007

I am the night.
Thanks, your experience is helpful. My doctor suggested I try Natazia now, which I picked up and will try once I finish this pack of Camila. Hopefully it's an improvement on both. Research I've read has suggested it's not any better than anything else, but bc seems to varie so much from person to person I feel like there's just no telling.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

It is a different formulation, so there's a possibility it might work out better for you. Unfortunately it's hard to say without actually trying it out. :( Good luck!

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

I just found out that my sister has been on Depo for seven semi-continuous years (she missed a shot and got pregnant, had the baby). I was of the understanding that Depo was cool for three years, but after that another method should be used because Depo could have detrimental side effects. Am I right?

Freckles
Jan 4, 2007
(I'm a sex educator, not a doctor, for the record. Your sister should talk to her doctor about this.)

Yes, you're right. Depo really isn't recommended for such long-term use, mostly because of the loss of bone density it can cause. I can't find any studies that have been done measuring bone density in Depo users over such a long period of time, and it's likely that it's reversible, but since no data are available from people who have been on Depo for more than two years, it's hard to know for sure. None of the reproductive healthcare providers I know would keep a patient on Depo for that long, and some of them don't like to prescribe it at all, just because of the side effects.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

Freckles posted:

(I'm a sex educator, not a doctor, for the record. Your sister should talk to her doctor about this.)

Yes, you're right. Depo really isn't recommended for such long-term use, mostly because of the loss of bone density it can cause. I can't find any studies that have been done measuring bone density in Depo users over such a long period of time, and it's likely that it's reversible, but since no data are available from people who have been on Depo for more than two years, it's hard to know for sure. None of the reproductive healthcare providers I know would keep a patient on Depo for that long, and some of them don't like to prescribe it at all, just because of the side effects.

I'm an OB-GYN resident doc with a special interest in family planning and a masters degree in public health.

The bone density concerns about depo are very common and I've seen them in my colleagues as well. Depo does cause bone density loss, but this plateaus after two years (at about 5.5 to 7.5%) and recovers after women stop using it. The big reason that we would worry about decreased bone density is increased fracture risk. However, all we have are retrospective studies (whereas a prospective randomized trial would be ideal). The data does show that there is an increased fracture risk in women who use Depo, but also points out that the women who choose Depo as birth control are at increased risk of fracture to begin with before using Depo, meaning that it's likely not the Depo causing that risk but rather a function of the general population that chooses Depo as birth control.

There is no data to support limiting the length of use of Depo either, given that the bone loss plateaus at 1-2 years. It's also important to note that the degree of bone loss is similar to that seen in pregnancy and lactation, and so it shouldn't be necessary to do bone scans, although I do generally counsel patients to make sure they have adequate vitamin D and calcium intake as well as exercise.

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

superbelch posted:

I'm an OB-GYN resident doc with a special interest in family planning and a masters degree in public health.

I have nothing to add to the BC discussion (other than loving my Paraguard for the past 2 years) but wanted to say as a research assistant in epidemiology who works with OB/GYNs on a few studies, my hats off to you for choosing such a great field to pursue. My boss conducted the first epidemiological studies in women so I love hearing about doctors pursuing public health too. :)

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Implanon removal trip report: easy as pie, kind of aches now that I'm done but I expected as much. Took 3 shots to fully numb me but the clinician was great and chatty and fun, she kept me distracted. She also approved me for Paragard and had them make my appointment this Tuesday an insertion, so hopefully I'll have another trip report next week, if all goes well. My only thing was my appointment was at 2 and I finally got my implant removed at 445, which sucked. I was excited to get to go home early and have some time to myself afterwards, but I got an even later train than usual thanks to this.

But it was incredibly fast, once I got properly numbed.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

If you haven't already, now's probably a good time to stock up for the Paragard. Stuff like ibuprofen, a heat pad or stick-on heat pads (if you've got to be on the move), pantiliners or pads because you'll have some bleeding for a bit. Also comfortable pants and a comfort food of your choosing. :v:

I was also advised to take some ibuprofen a little bit before the appointment. It sounds like you have transportation covered, but just in case make sure you have some way of getting home if you're a little woozy since some people have vasovagal reactions to IUD insertions. Not to scare you - I actually felt fine (if a little bit crampy) after my Paragard insertion but it's good to be prepared.

If you have any questions or concerns, I'm always checking the thread and will be happy to answer what I can. :) I've had Paragard for over a year now.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Thanks so much! I was going to have my mom drive me home but I figured it's best to just stay at my parents for the night (closer to both PP and work, where I have to go the next day). I live for thermacare heating pads, I'll be sure to grab some. I'm nervous (mainly because I wanted to do this on a Friday or Saturday so I'd get a break after, but getting it done ASAP means more) but super excited!

Also, took off my compression bandage (almost bed time) and my arm feels way less throbby. I hope washing it tomorrow morning goes well. I gave myself an extra ten minutes to shower in the morning.

My number one gripe is no sex this weekend and then condoms for another after getting it inserted (though I might ask for a pill pack because I hate condoms so much).

/ramble

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can put the bandage back on if you want. When I had mine replaced, I wrapped it at night for like a week because I kept rolling over on it like a moron.

Also, for that week, try Skyn condoms? Obviously you still have to pause to put them on, but they feel way way more real than other condoms.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

^^^
Thanks! I'll look into them, I am hoping to avoid them altogether but if I can't, that's probably the best bet. And I'm pretty sure I'll be fine without the wrapping, I sleep on my other side at least (which sucked when I got tattooed on that side, because I forgot how I sleep before picking sides).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ilysespieces posted:

Thanks so much! I was going to have my mom drive me home but I figured it's best to just stay at my parents for the night (closer to both PP and work, where I have to go the next day). I live for thermacare heating pads, I'll be sure to grab some. I'm nervous (mainly because I wanted to do this on a Friday or Saturday so I'd get a break after, but getting it done ASAP means more) but super excited!

Also, took off my compression bandage (almost bed time) and my arm feels way less throbby. I hope washing it tomorrow morning goes well. I gave myself an extra ten minutes to shower in the morning.

My number one gripe is no sex this weekend and then condoms for another after getting it inserted (though I might ask for a pill pack because I hate condoms so much).

/ramble

Thermacare is great for when you can't curl up on the couch with a plug-in heating pad. I know insertion is kind of a daunting thing even when you really want the IUD, which is why I was trying to prepare you a bit there. DON'T Google it.

And there shouldn't really be any need for a back-up method with Paragard unless you just want to be really thorough. Since it's non-hormonal, it starts working as soon as it's in place (it's also inserted as an emergency contraceptive sometimes). When I asked my doctor about it, they basically said I could have sex whenever I felt like it again afterwards and didn't really say anything about condoms other than the usual safe sex advice you always get at Planned Parenthood. I ended up waiting about 3 days. :haw:

Not to say you should go against doctor orders and it's probably better to err on the side of caution, it's just if the IUD is in place it'll be doing its job. There's no wait for hormones to kick in.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

I've done a ton of research and have read all the horror stories, but this is still the best method for me, I feel. The nurse told me a month with condoms until I come in for a check up to make sure it's all good down there, but it's good to hear that sounds overly cautious. I told the bf pull out method for a while, until I feel comfortable with the device (did the same when I first got the implant, trusting a new method takes a bit of time for me) but I'd be fine going back to our usual ways asap. Like I said before, horndog over here.

Thanks a ton for all your help, everyone! Can't wait till Tuesday, hopefully everything goes smoothly and I can get it inserted. I'm excited for hormone free living for a while.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

That's between you/your doctor mostly, but if the IUD is in place and you can check it on your own I think you'll be fine but that's just based on my own probably irresponsible anecdotal experience. If they're like my Planned Parenthood, the month-after check up will basically be a pelvic and "Yep it looks like it's still in there where it was before," which is basically what I did with my fingers periodically.

(Some use ultrasounds though so YMMV)

I won't lie to you, hormone-free living can be rough at first if you're transitioning off hormonal BC. Especially something that lightens your periods! I was pretty moody and pimply for a few weeks there, then my sex drive went through the roof. And the first few periods will be an experience (dark underwear and big tampons will be your friends). But if you can hang on through them, they usually get back to normal as you adjust. Mine are no big deal now.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Again, thanks, I really appreciate your help/anecdotes. I have warned the bf both about the adjustment period going off the hormones and having to check strings for me, but I have faith in this method and am excited for Tuesday to get here.

Also, Anne, I totally put the bandage back on after my shower, I took off the gauze and the sticky tape underneath scared me and was bloody, I didn't want my coworkers seeing that plus I want some extra "don't touch" protection, you know how the trains can get. Even though I reverse commute, getting home to secret neighborhood on a Friday evening is a sardine can torture test.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Sorry for the double post, but I have a question and don't want it to get lost in my ramble. I was told to take off the compression bandage last night and the gauze before my shower this morning, but I didn't realize there was another set of sticky tape under the gauze and I'm confused! Should I have taken that off this morning in the shower? I'll probably shower again tonight, should I take it off before/in that shower? I've Google, but nothing helpful has popped up.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I didn't have anything under my gauze. I think leaving the extra tape on this morning was fine. If it gets wet and peely, I would get rid of it and maybe put on a Band-Aid after you get out of the shower (and do the ace bandage for as long as it feels better that way). It should just be a small hole a little bigger than the insertion hole, not like a slit the length of the device or anything. Since you didn't get it replaced, I don't think it's too possible to screw up. Just don't shove subway dirt or rusty nails in it and it should heal fine.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I didn't have anything under my gauze. I think leaving the extra tape on this morning was fine. If it gets wet and peely, I would get rid of it and maybe put on a Band-Aid after you get out of the shower (and do the ace bandage for as long as it feels better that way). It should just be a small hole a little bigger than the insertion hole, not like a slit the length of the device or anything. Since you didn't get it replaced, I don't think it's too possible to screw up. Just don't shove subway dirt or rusty nails in it and it should heal fine.

Thanks so much, I'm not too worried, but I don't wanna screw up its healing because I'm impatient. I'll peel the tape off in the shower tonight, thanks.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
So I have a couple little IUD question things.

I got my ParaGard in a couple of days ago (I forgot to take a painkiller before the procedure, but it didn't hurt any more than cramping, other than the ouch insertion) and I've been kinda crampy since. I'm always a little achey during the first two days in my period, but they go away after that and I'm being thrown off by the continued cramps. Will they go away with my period, or is it just a matter of my body adjusting to the IUD?

And speaking of periods, I've heard that they might be worse with a copper IUD--does anyone have any feedback on how true that might be? I specifically chose a non-hormonal one because I don't want further chemical wackiness going on (hooray antidepressants!) so I'm totally okay with continuing to have periods every month. I just want to have some kind of idea of what I might be in for.

Finally, my doctor said when I asked that I could go without checking it, and since I'm very absent-minded and have a fear of accidentally yanking it out (I did that with my wisdom teeth stitches and have been paranoid ever since of doing that to everything else) I'm fine with not checking. How dumb am I?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

CantDecideOnAName posted:

I got my ParaGard in a couple of days ago (I forgot to take a painkiller before the procedure, but it didn't hurt any more than cramping, other than the ouch insertion) and I've been kinda crampy since. I'm always a little achey during the first two days in my period, but they go away after that and I'm being thrown off by the continued cramps. Will they go away with my period, or is it just a matter of my body adjusting to the IUD?

And speaking of periods, I've heard that they might be worse with a copper IUD--does anyone have any feedback on how true that might be? I specifically chose a non-hormonal one because I don't want further chemical wackiness going on (hooray antidepressants!) so I'm totally okay with continuing to have periods every month. I just want to have some kind of idea of what I might be in for.

Finally, my doctor said when I asked that I could go without checking it, and since I'm very absent-minded and have a fear of accidentally yanking it out (I did that with my wisdom teeth stitches and have been paranoid ever since of doing that to everything else) I'm fine with not checking. How dumb am I?

It's normal to be crampy for a while after insertion. Mine calmed down after a day or two, but I still got lots of random cramps that would come and go. Even after my period I would still get a cramp here and there but that will eventually stop. I think after a few weeks to a month for me and it wasn't like constant or anything.

The first few periods with Paragard may kind of come as a shock unless you're used to heavy periods. For me it was kind of like learning to deal with it all over again. They will be pretty drat heavy (like super/super-plus/ultra tampon levels) and the cramps will sometimes be strong enough to make you stop to catch your breath. Probably a lot like what you're feeling now. Ibuprofen and heat will do wonders for it though. And I personally recommend wearing underwear you don't care about possibly staining from leaks if you don't already. For me about 6 months out was when the turning point and now my periods are normal flow and the cramps are basically gone except for the first day.

Unless something seems wrong, I don't think it's absolutely necessary to check it except maybe occasionally. I rarely do now and some women never do. But unless you're deliberately grabbing the strings and pulling you won't yank it out.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?

Kimmalah posted:

It's normal to be crampy for a while after insertion. Mine calmed down after a day or two, but I still got lots of random cramps that would come and go. Even after my period I would still get a cramp here and there but that will eventually stop. I think after a few weeks to a month for me and it wasn't like constant or anything.

The first few periods with Paragard may kind of come as a shock unless you're used to heavy periods. For me it was kind of like learning to deal with it all over again. They will be pretty drat heavy (like super/super-plus/ultra tampon levels) and the cramps will sometimes be strong enough to make you stop to catch your breath. Probably a lot like what you're feeling now. Ibuprofen and heat will do wonders for it though. And I personally recommend wearing underwear you don't care about possibly staining from leaks if you don't already. For me about 6 months out was when the turning point and now my periods are normal flow and the cramps are basically gone except for the first day.

Unless something seems wrong, I don't think it's absolutely necessary to check it except maybe occasionally. I rarely do now and some women never do. But unless you're deliberately grabbing the strings and pulling you won't yank it out.

Okay. Thank you for all the advice and stuff--definitely set my mind at ease!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Okay. Thank you for all the advice and stuff--definitely set my mind at ease!

No problem, hope I didn't freak you out with the period stuff. :v:

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?

Kimmalah posted:

No problem, hope I didn't freak you out with the period stuff. :v:

Not at all. Is there anything else that Wikipedia and my doctor might not have mentioned that I might want to keep an eye out for, or is it basically life as usual?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry if this was already mentioned, but I have a pal with Paragard and she swears by daily Vitamin E supplements to help with the murderpants periods.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Not at all. Is there anything else that Wikipedia and my doctor might not have mentioned that I might want to keep an eye out for, or is it basically life as usual?

Hmm, it's basically life as usual for me. The only weird things I can think of are that sometimes you'll get a LOT of discharge, which mostly was when it was new and was just kind of an occasional thing. I've heard a lot of people with IUDs of all kinds get that and it seems to be harmless. And I get a few cramps when I ovulate now, which I didn't have before the IUD. Not bad and I guess it's kind of a cool signal to have. Most of the time though, I forget it's in there to be honest. :)

As Geolicious mentioned, I've heard that vitamin E supplements can help the heavy period thing. I actually took them right after I got it inserted, so I don't really have a "before" and "after" to compare it to. But it did seem like things were a little more under control. NSAIDs like ibuprofen and naproxen (Aleve) can also help reduce the flow along with helping the cramps, just be careful with the dosing as they can hurt your stomach if you overdo it.

Oh and I guess on the off chance you use a menstrual cup, make sure you thoroughly break the seal when removing it.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
Ah, okay. Thanks!

mau
Jan 13, 2013

Personally, I would at least check the strings during or after each period. While I didn't have Paragard, I've expelled two copper IUDs - both of them during my period. I don't mean to make you worry, you'll most likely be just fine. I just had lovely luck, that's all.

Also, congrats on the IUD! :) I third the vitamin E supplements.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Getting my Paragard tomorrow, I spoke with a woman at PP about my insurance and this isn't considered preventative, which means my deductible applies and all that fun stuff (I still don't totally understand) but they're going to make it where I pay the self pay amount and if my insurance will pay more/charge me less, I get a refund of the difference. If they'll charge more they take back the claim and I only pay the self pay amount. It's more than worth it, it's a lot up front but it evens out. And I'm glad, thanks to the implant being removed I'm totally back on a weird cycle now so it's the right time to have it put in.

I'm that nervous excited you get before something like a Rollercoaster. It's going to be awesome, but waiting is like going up the tracks, it's clicking and reminding me I'm going higher. Hopefully I don't feel too awful, I wanted this done on a Friday or Saturday so I could not have work for a day or so after, but I'd rather get it done ASAP. Plus their scheduling for Friday and Saturdays is weird and sucks.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm not a typical paragard experience but my periods got lighter and cramps went to like horrid once every 6 months vs every month. It could have just been a coincidence with my age or that hormones never agreed with me anyway?

I can't believe all these lovely insurance companies that are dicks about paragard. It's literally the least expensive long term birth control ever.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

^^^^ for real. Even going by the full price they charge the insurance company for everything including the office visit and facility, it's like 10$/month. Insurance companies don't make sense to me, it's so frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Tigntink posted:

I can't believe all these lovely insurance companies that are dicks.

It's burning me up how many companies it seems are getting some sort of "grandfathering" around the BC mandate.

And even before the mandate, insurance companies seemed to be lovely about LARCs anyhow. I got my IUD before the mandate and I had to fight tooth and nail and invoke Nevada law to get it partially covered. I still had to pay about 350 bucks (which was doable for me at the time). I'm sure it all has to do with profit and poo poo blah blah blah or however the mysteries of insurance work. But logic tells me LARCs are cheaper in the long run for everyone.

• Locked thread