Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Or a robot heart replace your real heart can't be too easy either.

Never mind having your brain replaced with Tesla coils

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Ah yes. The COILS of Nikola TESLA.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
Just finished reading the past 40 or so pages while gearing up for a new playthough. How is NVEC without the crap coming along Ddraig?

Also is there any mod that makes each radio station distinct? It's pretty sad that Black Mountain plays the same songs as the other two major stations.

And how does FCO play with TTW? I never did play FO3, and I'm considering trying TTW, but I remember hearing something about FONV races having issues with TTW because they don't have child bodies assigned or something?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

LoonShia posted:

Ah yes. The COILS of Nikola TESLA.

In your HEAD! Where your BRAIN used to be. Which we have misplaced. Somewhere.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Did FNV get the same crash treatment SKSE got semi-recently? In other words, does the memory buffer increase patch thing work here as well or is it Skyrim only?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The anti-crash treatment, so far as I know, is NVAC. It's a pretty sweet mod. I have no idea if it uses the same mechanics as SKSE but I do know it works.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Another question, what are peoples thoughts on After War: Nevada?

delta534
Sep 2, 2011
NVAC does not do the same thing as what SKSE does to help reduce crashes. The two engines handle memory in vastly different ways. the closest thing to what SKSE does with skyrim for new vegas is the heap replacement option of NVSR. There is an option in the latest version of NVSE to increase a buffer size but it seems to make things worse for me. All NVAC does is basically implement exception handling and state correction so New Vegas can continue running if possible.

I've have not used After War:Nevada but from its description it seem to monolithic for my taste compared to Project Nevada.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Moryrie posted:

And how does FCO play with TTW? I never did play FO3, and I'm considering trying TTW, but I remember hearing something about FONV races having issues with TTW because they don't have child bodies assigned or something?

The worst that can happen is that you revert to a vanilla race after the child sections (tutorial and Tranquility Lane). I *think* you might also fix it manually by duplicating the Child Races and assigning their adult equivalents to the FCO races (obviously they'd also need to have their child races changed to these new duplicated ones).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay, it's astounding how Old World Blues is better, in literally every way, than Honest Hearts. The setting is better, the fights are more enjoyable, the ideas are both solid and actually explored, there's great rewards no matter what your character focus, and it handles its own ending really well, in a weird way (really, why should it matter who you side with in OWB, they're all Mentat-addicted crazies anyway).

My only complaints are that the Nightstalkers don't seem to get on with VATS very well, and that when I saw that there was a toaster in the Sink I was hoping for a very different joke. Still, this is gonna be the bar to jump, not just for Lonesome Road but probably for any other DLC I ever play.

Lonesome Road comes tomorrow, and more than anything else I'm interested in seeing how exactly they intended to pull off Ulysses. I don't even know if it's possible to do it, but god damnit, they clearly have a plan.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Cleretic posted:

Okay, it's astounding how Old World Blues is better, in literally every way, than Honest Hearts. The setting is better, the fights are more enjoyable, the ideas are both solid and actually explored, there's great rewards no matter what your character focus, and it handles its own ending really well, in a weird way (really, why should it matter who you side with in OWB, they're all Mentat-addicted crazies anyway).

My only complaints are that the Nightstalkers don't seem to get on with VATS very well, and that when I saw that there was a toaster in the Sink I was hoping for a very different joke. Still, this is gonna be the bar to jump, not just for Lonesome Road but probably for any other DLC I ever play.

Lonesome Road comes tomorrow, and more than anything else I'm interested in seeing how exactly they intended to pull off Ulysses. I don't even know if it's possible to do it, but god damnit, they clearly have a plan.

Lonesome Road was awesome, but for completely different reasons. Those last two DLC are tied for favorite DLC of any game.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The worst that can happen is that you revert to a vanilla race after the child sections (tutorial and Tranquility Lane). I *think* you might also fix it manually by duplicating the Child Races and assigning their adult equivalents to the FCO races (obviously they'd also need to have their child races changed to these new duplicated ones).

I believe that's correct, you can certainly assign child/adult stuff pretty easily in the GECK. I haven't played TTW though I do remember reading about this exact issue and that was the solution.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Cleretic posted:

Not a spoiler as such so I'll say keep your eyes peeled whenever he finishes talking to you. He's closer than you think.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Well I've come along to play New Vegas again, only this time with some mods! Good thing I'm in the this thread right? Well I'm having a problem with NV crashing before I even get to the load screen. According to the FAQ in the OP this could be caused from an ESP looking for it's ESM. I checked that and I think I've got it all sorted but I'm terrible at this. Do I have this right?

code:
FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
Military Explansion Program.esm
CompanionInfAmmo.esm
DFB - Random Encounters.esm
NVInteriors_ComboEdition.esm
FCOMaster.esm
IWS-Core.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
SimpleStreetLights.esp
SimpleStreetLights (Extra Lights).esp
UHNV-Brighter Lighting.esp
UHNV-Bobblehunt.esp
UHNV-Chems.esp
UHNV-More Mannequins.esp
CompanionInfAmmoOptional.esp
CompanionInfAmmoCheat.esp
Western Sky.esp
Western Sky - Darker Nights.esp
FalloutNV_lang.esp
UHNV-Honest Hearts.esp
UHNV-Dead Money.esp
UHNV-Lonesome Road.esp
UHNV.esp
UHNV-OWB.esp
Vurt's WFO.esp
FCO.esp
IWS-Core-Guards.esp
IWS-Core-Patrols.esp
IWS-Core-Civilians.esp
IWS-DM.esp
IWS-HH.esp
IWS-OWB.esp
IWS-LR.esp
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
MojaveExtended100.esp

Total active plugins: 47
Total plugins: 51

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Well I've come along to play New Vegas again, only this time with some mods! Good thing I'm in the this thread right? Well I'm having a problem with NV crashing before I even get to the load screen. According to the FAQ in the OP this could be caused from an ESP looking for it's ESM. I checked that and I think I've got it all sorted but I'm terrible at this. Do I have this right?

The only thing missing I see in your load order is FNInteriors core, but you could try to open your mods with FNVEdit and see when it complains about a missing master for anything else.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'll try that later if I can. Had to leave the desktop for the evening.

Edit: Alright I used FNVEdit and discovered that the UHNV Chems and UHNV Bobbleheads were causing the error. No amount of moving them around the load list fixed it but unchecking them totally let it go through the check. I'm able to load the game and play now!

Also you were right, I was missing the Interior Core. I totally forgot to download it.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 16, 2014

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I'll try that later if I can. Had to leave the desktop for the evening.

Edit: Alright I used FNVEdit and discovered that the UHNV Chems and UHNV Bobbleheads were causing the error. No amount of moving them around the load list fixed it but unchecking them totally let it go through the check. I'm able to load the game and play now!

Also you were right, I was missing the Interior Core. I totally forgot to download it.

UHNV Chems and Bobblehunt are support patches to add compatibility with the actual Chems and Bubblehunt mods. Without them you lack 2 esms, game crashes. FNVEdit should have stopped upon loading them complaining about missing masters.

And while I'm at it, you should only use one of the Simple Street Lights esps. Using both is a bad idea since the extra lights does the same as the normal one with more bling.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 16, 2014

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
OK will do! I also installed NVAC which has reduced my crashes in game to nearly nothing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I installed Windows 8 yesterday. Re-installed NV from Steam, re-downloaded all my mods, etc.

Now FOMM can't download the master list or auto-sort. New Vegas crashes immediately upon launching NVSE.

No idea what to do, and I'm a little bummed. My Vista machine sucked, but New Vegas ran perfectly with the exception of a few crashes here and there. FOMM originally crashed any time I tried to update the list from the help menu, but I downloaded a patch for that, and now I just get an error about how it can't connect to the Sourceforge site.

Any thoughts?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

I installed Windows 8 yesterday. Re-installed NV from Steam, re-downloaded all my mods, etc.

Now FOMM can't download the master list or auto-sort. New Vegas crashes immediately upon launching NVSE.

No idea what to do, and I'm a little bummed. My Vista machine sucked, but New Vegas ran perfectly with the exception of a few crashes here and there. FOMM originally crashed any time I tried to update the list from the help menu, but I downloaded a patch for that, and now I just get an error about how it can't connect to the Sourceforge site.

Any thoughts?

First thing that comes to mind is try running it as admin and/or not having FOMM installed in program files if that's where it is.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I have the weirdest glitch after installing the Mission Mojave mod: All the characters with dark or tanned skin are now whiter than Wonderbread. Taking the mod off causes the game to crash. I'm close to finishing my current run so I plan on starting over and taking the mod off anyway, are they any other anti-crash mods?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Mission Mojave is the opposite of a crash prevention mod :v:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
If you uninstall Mission Mojave entirely, don't be surprised if the game crashes on start up. That happened to me when I uninstalled it once and I don't have a single loving clue as to why. For anti-crash mods, just use NVAC. And if you want a good bugfix, just get Yukichigai's because it's the only one that doesn't make extra dumb changes.

Also, if you haven't done You'll Know It When It Happens yet, don't be surprised if you get a weird bug where Kimball runs inside the visitor's center and spontaneously explodes because that happened on both runs of the game I did with Mission Mojave and it was the only mod that altered anything related to that quest.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Mission Mojave is the opposite of a crash prevention mod :v:
Basically this. It also makes a number of dumb miscellaneous gender changes on random NCR grunts and OWB drone enemies (?!?!?) and adds ownership to basically everything to the game even when it's not warranted. It's a disaster pit.

In other news, RIP The Armory 3.0.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 17, 2014

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Basically this. It also makes a number of dumb miscellaneous gender changes on random NCR grunts and OWB drone enemies (?!?!?) and adds ownership to basically everything to the game even when it's not warranted. It's a disaster pit.

In other news, RIP The Armory 3.0.

We hardly knew ye.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm getting crashes like 10 minutes into the game each time I play. Any ideas? I also have the large textures installed as well as the gun animations required by The Armory.

quote:

FalloutNV.esm
CaravanPack.esm
FCOMaster.esm
Companion Core.esm
Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esm
Interior Lighting Overhaul - L38PS.esm
IWS-Core.esm
NVInteriors_Core.esm
NVInteriors_WastelandEditon.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
Weapon Mod Expansion.esm
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
NevadaSkies.esm
RobCo Certified.esm
More Traits.esm
More Perks.esm
More Perks for Companions.esm
The.Armory.esm
FCO.esp
IWS-Core-Patrols.esp
alternate_armor_system_v0999.esp
Boacombat2glove.esp
boa ncrpahelmet.esp
AAS_Ammo.esp
More Traits Update.esp
IWS-Core-Guards.esp
The.Armory.Performance.Killing.Ballistics.esp
ILO - PipBoy Light.esp
ILO - Fallout New Vegas.esp
ILO - NSkies URWLified Patch.esp
FCO - OnHolyServiceBound NPC's.esp
More Perks Update.esp
More Perks for Companions Update.esp
IWS-Core-Civilians.esp
ILO - GS Shack.esp
NevadaSkies - Basic Edition.esp
Roleplay Start 1.2.esp
Expanded Traits.esp
Portable Tent.esp
RobCo Certified Friendly Hit Fixer.esp
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
The.Armory.Leveled.List.esp
The.Armory.Sample.Sounds.esp
Weapon Mod Expansion.esp

Total active plugins: 46
Total plugins: 48

edit: Figured it out, my 4GB option got messed up.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 17, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Any thoughts?

I suggest reading the OP. because I'm 90% sure that there is a link to a skyrim utility that works for FNV.

And FOMM always crashed when updating BOSS, it just downloaded it and then crashed.

Boss is unnecessary. Making sure that things don't laid before their masters is easily accomplished with your eyes and/or FNVedit. FNVedit helps loads.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Is there a mod that will let me tell my companion/robot to collect up the money/ammo/chems/whatever from corpses and or containers in the area I'm currently in?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Lonesome Road was... strange. I guess I can see the appeal, but it just didn't work for me at all.

I couldn't help but think of those weird endings where it's clear they ran out of time and/or money, so they couldn't actually make a good ending. Lonesome Road feels like what would happen if you gave a team all the time and money they could need, and they still made that ending. There's nothing technically wrong with it, it's all very high-quality, and the landscape looks very nice, but the DLC as a whole's still got that slightly rigid, disjointed feeling of 'oh poo poo, we have three weeks left and not enough money'.

I'll grant that it was very pretty. Well, when I could see anything, which was about forty percent of the time. The rest of the time I was spent near-blind, feeling around for any sort of path and VATS-ing just to know where the hell my enemies were. This also happens to be literally the worst situation for something like satchel charges; I didn't take Light Step until now because I'm usually really good at disarming traps before I set them off, but it's literally impossible to do that without setting off a satchel charge. You really have to shoot them, but good luck seeing them beforehand.

The 'cheap ending' feel hit the worst around the actual gameplay. When a game like this gets a cheap ending, the worst symptom is that it loses the openness; if you aren't a specific type of character, you're quite hosed. Lonesome Road had that, and for ninety percent of its run I was very much not that specific type of character. Every type of enemy was packing so much firepower that I was going from full to zero in less than two seconds a lot of the time, and the Deathclaws one-shot me. The heavy-hitting enemies and high amount of heavy weaponry ammunition makes it pretty clear what kind of character they wanted me to be, yet here I was with light armor, barely any inventory space and revolvers as my primary weapons.

That other ten percent consisted entirely of the fight against Ulysses, where for some reason the 'intended player build' shifts completely to be exactly the character I usually make. I'm not giving it a pass on that one, though; I have no loving clue how they intended that fight to be done if the player doesn't have 100 Science and Repair. I get those pretty much as a rule (Repair because it's always useful for any character, Science because I like the hacking minigame) and I still had to exploit the fight's mechanics to survive it.

The story itself was... not good. the fact it was delivered entirely by Ulysses in monologues (another symptom of that 'weird ending syndrome') didn't help, since Ulysses was obtuse, rambling and frankly lost my interest in the first speech, but even outside of that it felt like fanfiction. The declaration of otherwise never-mentioned information, the kind of pointlessly grim turns, the over-focus on a character that barely matters outside of this story that the writers clearly think is awesome, the slight-but-obvious difference in handling the player character's actions in the ending slides... it just sounds so many 'bad fanfiction' sirens to me that part of me is surprised it wasn't.

I have to say: Thank god for ED-E. I wouldn't have liked Lonesome Road at all if it was actually lonesome, but then they toss ED-E in as a much more compelling side-story. I'm sure he was added as a logical way for Ulysses to monologue at us, but he is far and away the best part.

So... yeah. Didn't like Lonesome Road, unfortunately. Not as bad as Honest Hearts, because at least most of the enemies (Deathclaws aside) had reasonable amounts of health, but far behind Dead Money and Old World Blues.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
As far as tough enemies go in Lonesome Road, I didn't have too much of a problem. I waltzed in there with This Machine and used the tons of Armor Piercing ammo lying around to annihilate anything (Deathclaw or Human) coming my way. Tunnelers can go gently caress themselves though, I always make sure to bring a Riot Shotgun now to deal with them.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cleretic posted:

I'll grant that it was very pretty. Well, when I could see anything, which was about forty percent of the time. The rest of the time I was spent near-blind, feeling around for any sort of path and VATS-ing just to know where the hell my enemies were. This also happens to be literally the worst situation for something like satchel charges; I didn't take Light Step until now because I'm usually really good at disarming traps before I set them off, but it's literally impossible to do that without setting off a satchel charge. You really have to shoot them, but good luck seeing them beforehand.
What's your explosives skill at? The higher it is, the more time you have to disarm.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
I actually liked Lonesome road for the scripts that had enemies pop up behind you and having more spawn when you take certain loot or whatever. I don't really remember any other part of the game where you didn't really know where the enemies were coming from.

I do agree that the ED-E storyline was way better than the Ulysses storyline, which just felt like they were shoving metaphors down my throat the whole time.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I never had any problems with the enemies in Lonesome road, then again I was using a Laser crit build at the time and both the LAER and Tri-Beam Laser Rifle cut through the enemies like they were cheese paper.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 18, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, enemies had health until j shot them with That Gun. Then they died. I fid swap ammo types regularly though.

Ulysses is kinda supposed to be that way though. He cant accept that freak chance caused the divide and blames you for it. He is a huge whiny nerd who cant let poo poo go, thought he was somehow going to use the divide to bridge the Legion and NCR and not have them murder each other to death because the people in the divide had a couple of old world flags laying around. He isnt telling some perfect story , hes nuts.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
For me, Lonesome Road is the Operation Anchorage of New Vegas DLCs. Linear and ultimately pointless-feeling. Ulysses was really disappointing after all the build-up in the main game and the other DLCs. I had that same reaction: "wait, he's just some crazy guy droning some made-up histrionic nonsense at me as if it's important". I think I actually talked him out of fighting in my first playthrough, leaving him there in the Divide in a "right... you have fun with that, then" sort of way.

Honest Hearts was just sort of boring, unfortunately. It never really grabbed me. It's possibly telling that the most memorable part of it - the Survivalist - was pure text and mostly divorced from anything related to gameplay.

Dead Money and Old World Blues though; I love those. I had a lot of fun with the WMX add-on for OWB in particular, too.

Overall I'd probably rank them like this:

1) Dead Money (yeah, I'm one of those people who like it)
2) Old World Blues (close second)
3) Honest Hearts (only just in front of LR since it's a bit more open)
4) Lonesome Road

Oh, then there's Gun Runners' Arsenal. I often forget about it, since, well... I play the game on PC.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Cleretic posted:

Honest Hearts really helped me out. Dead Money was such a claustrophobic and ugly environment that I welcomed the open, healthy feel of Zion.

Cleretic posted:

Lonesome Road was... strange. I guess I can see the appeal, but it just didn't work for me at all.

The gameplay was alright. I got lost a bit here and there but my main gripe is the way they conclude the storyline. I found it underwhelming.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

LLCoolJD posted:

Honest Hearts really helped me out. Dead Money was such a claustrophobic and ugly environment that I welcomed the open, healthy feel of Zion.

I'm one of those guys that likes Dead Money; the mist made me a bit nauseous at times, but overall it's a really slick implementation of a different gameplay style. Operation Anchorage was the same way, and I liked that too. It also helps that linear as they may be, it's a very tight and well-controlled situation. That works for the experimental nature of them; an open-world Dead Money or Operation Anchorage just wouldn't work.

After some thought, I really prefer the Fallout 3 DLCs. The Pitt's the only one I would consider bad, and even that I can't really remember anything specifically bad about. While none of the rest reach the heights of Old World Blues, they're all at least fairly enjoyable.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Question, Does anyone have experience running New vegas in Nvidia surround mode? It runs ok, but when you zoom in to look at things like the vigor tester, they don't fit on the screen.

Anyway. if some goon has some values to try in my ini, I'd love to know them. Otherwise, I need a good place to start looking for what values to change.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Antistar01 posted:

Oh, then there's Gun Runners' Arsenal. I often forget about it, since, well... I play the game on PC.

It took me forever to actually buy it. My logic being 'Wait, pay money for new weapons? When I already implement better ones for everyone to use for free? Uhm. No.'. Finally I did but it still took a 50% off sale on the DLC for me to nab it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
I have a vaigina' not a penis