Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I've been at this so long that I never need anyone from the 1984-85 cast in toy form ever again. It's been done. I'm barely even interested in much of the 1986 cast. I clearly remember the days of feeling like I needed just one more version of Hound or whatever and those days are long gone. MP Star Saber is a big step in the right direction and I really hope we get more characters that don't already have 37 entries on TFU.info.

Not that I begrudge anyone else their third 3P MP Huffer or whatever, but personally I'm just so goddam bored with autobot cars and seeker jets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I just wish the MP guys didn't cost over 100 bucks per guy though.

I mean Titan class guys cost the same and they're so much more impressive.

Also I'm not all that keen on Skybyte either(I have the Original and Transmetals Cybershark) but you just know he's going to be repainted as Submarauder, one of the Seacons, a Sharkticon or whatever.

My only complaint about roadbuster is that he has very shallow legs and he's beefy enough in his upper body so he's going to look disproportionate.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

My only complaint about roadbuster is that he has very shallow legs and he's beefy enough in his upper body so he's going to look disproportionate.

With Roadbuster I plan on either:

A. Buying the 3P version used because the fandom decided the Hasbro version is superior (See Warbot Assaulter)

B. Buying the Hasbro version right off a shelf because the fandom decided it wasn't as good as the 3P version.

Because it's pretty much a wash near as I can tell.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Why cookie Rocket posted:

With Roadbuster I plan on either:

A. Buying the 3P version used because the fandom decided the Hasbro version is superior (See Warbot Assaulter)

B. Buying the Hasbro version right off a shelf because the fandom decided it wasn't as good as the 3P version.

Because it's pretty much a wash near as I can tell.

Vehicle mode for the Hasbro version transforms weird because the feet are in the center of the vehicle.

He's like the mid point between Whirl and Leader Jetfire. Looks G1 enough in his robot mode but his vehicle mode doesn't even resemble or transform like the original. Where as Whirl looks like the original toy somewhat updated and Jetfire is entirely new in how he transforms and looks in more proportion to modern figures in robot mode.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Some 3rd paty will release an add-on.

See, this is what bothers me the most with TFWiki's double standard. I understand why Willis and company would want to leave stuff like Hercules or Mania King out, but when you have 3rd party add-on kits that increase a terrible figure, like the ROTF Superion add-on or iGear's Kup face, I think those things should at least be mentioned.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ka0 posted:

See, this is what bothers me the most with TFWiki's double standard. I understand why Willis and company would want to leave stuff like Hercules or Mania King out, but when you have 3rd party add-on kits that increase a terrible figure, like the ROTF Superion add-on or iGear's Kup face, I think those things should at least be mentioned.

I really thought Mania King was a separate addon and not a figure

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Ka0 posted:

I totally agree there is a ridiculous double-standard, especially when any old SG-related datum sharted out by a Production Assistant for season 2 of animated gets its own drat page. The problem IMO is that there's just so much 3P stuff that you'd have the "Toy" section for some characters completely overwhelmed by 3P add-ons/versions. Can you imagine the page for Predaking if the rules were changed? And any middle group results in someone having to judge what's "good enough" to make the cut.

Speaking of 3P, I got Citizen Stack today. He's pretty cool, does exactly what it says on the box. I think the consensus is pretty accurate so I'll just say I'd be happy to answer any questions if someone wants to know something specific.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

I totally agree there is a ridiculous double-standard, especially when any old SG-related datum sharted out by a Production Assistant for season 2 of animated gets its own drat page. The problem IMO is that there's just so much 3P stuff that you'd have the "Toy" section for some characters completely overwhelmed by 3P add-ons/versions. Can you imagine the page for Predaking if the rules were changed? And any middle group results in someone having to judge what's "good enough" to make the cut.

Speaking of 3P, I got Citizen Stack today. He's pretty cool, does exactly what it says on the box. I think the consensus is pretty accurate so I'll just say I'd be happy to answer any questions if someone wants to know something specific.

Post pics.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Veg posted:

Post pics.

These aren't mine but there's a plethora of them over at TFW. If you want any specific poses/comparisons or anything I'd be happy to oblige.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

The problem IMO is that there's just so much 3P stuff that you'd have the "Toy" section for some characters completely overwhelmed by 3P add-ons/versions.

Why would that matter? Not being snarky, I just really don't see the issue. Let the Predaking/toy page be 800 3P toys, what would it matter.

What's Citizen Stacks plastic like by the way? I heard it feels weird, and doesn't look like the plastic of official toys. Looking at that photo of him with Prime, it looks pretty matte, sort of like the plastic that was used for the Marvel Crossover Transformers.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

catch22 posted:

Why would that matter? Not being snarky, I just really don't see the issue. Let the Predaking/toy page be 800 3P toys, what would it matter.

I guess on further reflection it wouldn't too much, as long as they bust Predaking toys out into their own page (like the page for G1 Optimus Prime or Megatron toys). I forgot about those. It just seems weird on some level to have the number of 3P toys drown out the official releases, but that shouldn't be the deciding factor either. Anyway, you're right.

catch22 posted:

What's Citizen Stacks plastic like by the way? I heard it feels weird, and doesn't look like the plastic of official toys. Looking at that photo of him with Prime, it looks pretty matte, sort of like the plastic that was used for the Marvel Crossover Transformers.

It's no weirder than that of Trash-talk and Cogwheel, or Fansproject's Headmasters. I think part of what's adding to the weird "feel" is that (on mine at least) there's still a ton of mold release agent on it. In one spot, it was actually still a little gooey. I'm halfway tempted to throw him in the bathtub tonight.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Rita Repulsa posted:

There's still plenty of the 84 cast and characters who can be repainted or remolded from the 84 cast to get through.
Maybe we'll even get some decepticons up in here. The pilot and first season was unfortunately pretty sparing on those though and they've gotten to most of them. There's shockwave left and um.... Reflector? Devastaator?

Maybe they'll just go to the movie and make galvatron, scourge, and cyclonus instead.

Masterpiece Megatron 2.0 needs to be the next Decepticon, but Masterpiece Reflector would be something if they did it up right. And I would still like an MP-11 Skywarp at some point just so they match. I'm just hoping they finish the Autobot car lineup before fully moving on.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

The Taint Reaper posted:

I just wish the MP guys didn't cost over 100 bucks per guy though.

I mean Titan class guys cost the same and they're so much more impressive.

Also I'm not all that keen on Skybyte either(I have the Original and Transmetals Cybershark) but you just know he's going to be repainted as Submarauder, one of the Seacons, a Sharkticon or whatever.

I really hope you're not paying 100 plus per MP Autobot Car like I think you're saying given that the retail for them is 50 or so plus shipping

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Other posted:

I really hope you're not paying 100 plus per MP Autobot Car like I think you're saying given that the retail for them is 50 or so plus shipping

Also who are these Titan Class guys (plural) who are more impressive than Prowl and Sideswipe? FoC Metroplex only has one useful mode, I would definitely not call him on par with any of the better MPs.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Out of curiosity, what made you go with you go with the third-party rather than waiting for the official MP that's been all but confirmed at this point? Just timeframe?

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
The idea of Masterpiece Devastator gives me a boner.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
This might be a stupid question, but I'm on a kick of getting some MPs and was thinking about getting MP Prowl because PRowl rules. Did he ever get a domestic release? Also whats a good price on him? Finally, I heard MP Grimlock might be getting a re-release? Any reality to that?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Honest Ray posted:

This might be a stupid question, but I'm on a kick of getting some MPs and was thinking about getting MP Prowl because PRowl rules. Did he ever get a domestic release? Also whats a good price on him? Finally, I heard MP Grimlock might be getting a re-release? Any reality to that?

Takara MP Grimlock recently got reissued, and Hasbro is releasing him again too to go with the dino madness in Age of Extinction.

Also Hasbro might release an MP Prowl soon(ish), I think it's a target exclusive?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I think all MP figures go through Toys R Us.

Prowl was apparently in their computer or something.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
If you can wait a year or so, Fans Toys are doing their own version of MP Grimlock, up to scale with MP10, Slag and Shockwave.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Oh yeah I meant toys r us. I get them confused because they don't exist where I live :qq:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Ka0 posted:

If you can wait a year or so, Fans Toys are doing their own version of MP Grimlock, up to scale with MP10, Slag and Shockwave.

I think the elevator shoes that come with Scoria for MP Grimlock will be good enough for me. Fans Toys Grimlock would have to be some kind of transcendent being to be worth paying $200+ for when I already have the Takara MP.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Knormal posted:

Out of curiosity, what made you go with you go with the third-party rather than waiting for the official MP that's been all but confirmed at this point? Just timeframe?

A combo of liking it on its own merits (like, not as compared to anything else), having zero fondness for the "white Prime in a suit" setup of the G1 toy, it's slightly lower cost, and (yes) the fact that it's out now, not later. Seeing that he has room for a Minimus Ambus was also a factor.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

How exactly do we know Citizen Stack costs less than MP Magnus at this point? Yeah, the preorder prices that are up for Magnus are high, but those are placeholders.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Other posted:

I was referring more along the lines of the Seekers, the different versions of Optimus, and Soundwave. I haven't gotten any of the Takara MPs.

Grimlock and Rodimus were around 60-70 or so, which was a bit more reasonable.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Yeah that's all I meant, cheaper based on available info. I imagine they'll be roughly the same price, have slight advantages and disadvantages when compared, and we will all be left still wishing for a leader-class IDW-styled Magnus.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Yeah that's all I meant, cheaper based on available info. I imagine they'll be roughly the same price, have slight advantages and disadvantages when compared, and we will all be left still wishing for a leader-class IDW-styled Magnus.

I think after they show leader Megatron we're probably going to get an IDW leader Magnus. Yeah it's strange they kicked off the size class with Jetfire, but Jetfire was a big guy so it makes sense. IDW Magnus would at least have to be the size of Car Robots/RID Magnus in order to fit Generations cars in vehicle mode, just maybe not so leggy.

Also didn't they say that Metroplex was not the only titan class dude and another is in the works(not counting the Asian/SDCC version which is a slight repaint).

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 19, 2014

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

Also didn't they say that Metroplex was not the only titan class dude and another is in the works(not counting the Asian/SDCC version which is a slight repaint).

They said Metroplex was much more successful than they expected, so the Titan class is likely to continue. That probably means there are more in the works, but nobody knows anything about them beyond assuming they're more citybots. Given the current dinosaur focus due to AoE it seems like Trypticon would be a logical next step.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

They said Metroplex was much more successful than they expected, so the Titan class is likely to continue. That probably means there are more in the works, but nobody knows anything about them beyond assuming they're more citybots. Given the current dinosaur focus due to AoE it seems like Trypticon would be a logical next step.

But would a Trypticon be 2 feet tall or larger/smaller? I'd imagine he would be one of the harder ones to update since he switches from Dinosaur to City mode and the dinosaur mode would have to be pretty stable. Unlike Scorpinok and Fort max which both lay down to transform and stand entirely upright in robot mode.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

But would a Trypticon be 2 feet tall or larger/smaller? I'd imagine he would be one of the harder ones to update since he switches from Dinosaur to City mode and the dinosaur mode would have to be pretty stable. Unlike Scorpinok and Fort max which both lay down to transform and stand entirely upright in robot mode.

Depends what kind of dinosaur you go for, I guess. A G1-style T-Rex would be pretty easy to make equal in height to FoC Metroplex. A scientifically accurate one would probably be shorter, but I'd go for two feet long and maybe chest-height to Metroplex. As a bonus, with the feathered dinosaur idea you could do some really cool stuff with neon-lit towers and antennas on him.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Keldroc posted:

How exactly do we know Citizen Stack costs less than MP Magnus at this point? Yeah, the preorder prices that are up for Magnus are high, but those are placeholders.

If Magnus costs as much as Takara's MP-10 did at release then it should be the same price or higher as Stack depending on where you shop. IMO, Magnus will likely cost higher than MP10 due to increases in costs of manufacture and a more complex trailer/armour so it should be costlier than Stack.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

These aren't mine but there's a plethora of them over at TFW. If you want any specific poses/comparisons or anything I'd be happy to oblige.

Can we get some mid-transform? I'm really curious as to how the armour fits onto the cab.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Keldroc posted:

Depends what kind of dinosaur you go for, I guess. A G1-style T-Rex would be pretty easy to make equal in height to FoC Metroplex. A scientifically accurate one would probably be shorter, but I'd go for two feet long and maybe chest-height to Metroplex. As a bonus, with the feathered dinosaur idea you could do some really cool stuff with neon-lit towers and antennas on him.

Eh, since it's trypticon and not Grimlock I'm completely OK with them going full Godzilla instead of realistic(ish) dinosaur.

e: Liefeld Prime!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Vangelus review of evasion mode Optimus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN3mhRHoYHk

Also known as; The Gun several of us will buy with a toy wrapped around it like a protective husk

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I really want that Evasion Mode OP, albeit in real "evasion mode" faded camo.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ka0 posted:

I really want that Evasion Mode OP, albeit in real "evasion mode" faded camo.

I just want them with any paint whatsoever, they seriously look like knockoffs with all the blank empty space that's there. Like the Deluxes look mostly fine but then everything larger or smaller looks like crap.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I want none of them. I must be the only fan that never gave a gently caress about Optimus Prime.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I stopped caring about Optimus Prime when he stopped coming with a trailer.

Seriously I bought the Legends Figure of him only because Roller became a trailer. The fact that there's been endless versions of Prime that lack a trailer is the worst thing ever right next to the endless versions of Bumblebee.

Prime is just missing something when he's just a cab. The Original Classics Voyager Prime was tiny compared to other Voyagers because he was originally going to have a full sized trailer come with him.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Goldskull posted:

I want none of them. I must be the only fan that never gave a gently caress about Optimus Prime.
This is me, but only after I secured an MP-10. :rodimus:

edit:
I'm saying I don't need any more Optimus, now that I have MP-10. I've seen a few YOTH in the wild and passed, though I will agree the gold looks much better in person.

TheDK fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

TheDK posted:

This is me, but only after I secured an MP-10. :rodimus:

Get the Year of the Horse Optimus, the trailer is better because you can hook up blue LED lights because the trailer is a monument to light piping.

His gold chrome also is not that gold in real life.